Menu

Hope Chest/Dowry Box

On pinterest I saw someone indicated that they made something for their son's "dowry box" (never heard of that before- but okay!). I have my mom's Hope Chest (cedar chest) that my Mom gave to my DD. I've been considering putting together some really nice linens over the next 15/20 years for her to have when she gets married.

Do you make things for your children that they will be able to use in the further? If so what?

If you had a Hope Chest and know how to knit, crochet, embroidery and could buy things over many years to fill it up - what would you buy/make?

I think hope chests are nice. :) A tad out of fashion but whatever.

My older daughter likes the idea. Not that we have room for a big ol' cedar chest! So far I've made her a recipe box that she can add to. And I like heirloom sewing so I've made a few baby clothes. (Which is not exactly practical but who cares?)

I keep meaning to start this for my girls, but the years are slipping by so fast!

I would crochet some washcloths. Perhaps some napkins with embroidery (but not monogrammed ;))

Collect a nice set of silverware?

A great basic cookbook.

The problem I run into...I have no idea what her style will be when she's grown. So things like table cloths and other linens will be hard.

I'm hoping to purchase some quality household items for each girl to take with her...like cast iron skillets, a nice cake decorating set for my baker (she already has this :) ), a sewing machine for my sewer (she already has this also), and take-out menus for my non-domesticated dd :tongue_smilie:(kidding)

My grandmothers who grew up in different times and entered marriage with trunks full of linens and towels gave me linens when I was a teenager. I still have them, but never used them because it is not my style. Takes up space I could use for other stuff, but I can't throw it out because it's from Grandma.

I think the concept is outdated. I rather invest in my daughter's education and give this to her as a gift. She will then be able to earn money to buy her own household textiles in exactly the style she wants. (Not to mention that the current price structure is very different; what was really a large investment one hundred years ago is not a significant expense today.)

Plus, I expect my children to be rather mobile, move around, possibly live in different countries. I don't want to burden them with stuff.

We have one for dd. It's a bit soon to start filling it with sheets and towels, so all that's in there are the cutest little clothes I couldn't bear to pass onto my friend.

We'll acquire one for the boy eventually, but we'll call it a war chest. :tongue_smilie:

Perhaps when they are older I'll set them to making items for their chests; "masterpieces" to show they have achieved a certain level of handicraft skill. Knitted washcloths, a crocheted bunny rug or something. Perhaps when they are teens and getting harder to buy for at Christmas, we'll buy those expensive household items like good quality blenders, dehydrators or whatever that would be nice to start with but would take a decade to actually get around to buying.

We'll see.

Rosie

We have friends who buy their son a good quality tool for Christmas every year. I started to buy kitchen tools for my dds this Christmas (they weren't exactly thrilled with their wooden spoons and spatulas!). When they move out on their own, I hope they have a good collection of basic kitchen supplies. I also have recipe software (MacGourmet Deluxe) where I am very slowly entering our favorite recipes. They will get their own family cookbooks with these recipes also.

What I was planning on doing was - we have a few family quilts. I thought of embroidering pillowcases to compliment the quilts.

I used to love looking into my mom's Hope Chest when I was a girl. My mom taught me how to knit, crochet and embroider. So I was hoping to pass along some family heirlooms along with some newer things.

On pinterest I saw someone indicated that they made something for their son's "dowry box" (never heard of that before- but okay!). I have my mom's Hope Chest (cedar chest) that my Mom gave to my DD. I've been considering putting together some really nice linens over the next 15/20 years for her to have when she gets married.

Do you make things for your children that they will be able to use in the further? If so what?

If you had a Hope Chest and know how to knit, crochet, embroidery and could buy things over many years to fill it up - what would you buy/make?

All of it. Everything I keep and store is for them, and I know they'll like it because all of the women in my family are the same. Is it old? Is it from the family? We LOVE it. :D I'm not collecting things for each child, precisely, but when they leave, they'll be set. But, I have to say, you saying it makes me realize I need to collect and make with intent.

I can only knit dishcloths, so I guess that's one thing :D.

When I was sorting through my youngest dd's old clothes, my oldest dd snatched things up that she wants to keep for her kids. I warned her that those clothes would probably be horribly out of style by then, but she doesn't care. :) I'd also add their baptism gowns and maybe their baby blankets.

Some basic white bed and table linens would be nice - even nicer if I could embroider or something. Maybe I'll get to it some day.

Cookbook is a great idea. Our church had a cookbook printed, and I may buy a copy for each of my kids, maybe with personal notes. A family cookbook would be great, too.

My daughter has a hope chest. My youngest will get one when she is 12. We are using the book preparing your hope chest to fill it. In reality it is not to hold the belongings to take when she moves (though that is what I used mine for as a teen- I created it my mom laughed at me, I moved out at 18 with everyitem needed to furnish my apt). Anyway, the book we are using with it teaches them the skills of things useful and the finished products of those go into the hopechest. So for example, crocheting, emroidery, knitting, sewing etc. It will eventually hold actual items for her future home, but for now it is for these things.

For now my daughter will crochet dish cloths, embroider linens, sew/quilt stuff etc and as she grows we will add in items that we find a good deal on (like the expensive pots/pans or the nice knife block etc) The things that usually you don't have just starting out in your future marriage (or even singlehood on your own).

So it is not about what I can get to fill it, or what I can knit or crochet etc. It is about teaching her the skills to fill it herself in preparation of using those skills in her own household one day.

OK this does not quite answer your question, because it is not making things, but:

When I was pretty darned young, I started getting tools for birthdays and Christmas and being taught how to use them. When it came time to get married I packed up my tools and went. When first married I had a bachelors degree, but it brought in no money for the first couple of years. For the first few years having the tools and the ability to use them not only saved us a lot of money that we really needed, but also made us some.

On the other hand we have several quilts and afghans made for us by people who we love and love us and they are priceless to us. The money for comforters blankets etc. is insignificant, but every time you look at the stitching, you think how much love went into making that item.

If you can make a few such items for your children, hopefully when life hurts it will give them some comfort, and at other times they will look at them and smile.

We are poor and my mother wanted us to have a hope chest-- so Dad found a great deal on the used pine footlockers... my sister, brother and I all had 'stuff' inside when we left home...

My mother gathered a few kitchen essentials (flatware, glasses...) and my grandmother added some embroidered pillowcases (she was color blind-- and I never used the pillow cases (ugly!!) but I treasure them even today!). My sister and I gathered other 'essentials' and when we left home we had something to help us get started--- my sister left home when she married and I left home for college... the kitchen essentials really came in handy when dh and I decided to get married (giving 3 weeks notice!)-- at least I had enough basic items to cook with (and eat off of!)... we had ZERO money at that time!:lol:

My brother wasn't as interested in collecting for his 'locker', but my mother gathered some items for him as well-- he went straight into the Army after high school-- and once his tour was up he met and married (met in May and married in July!)-- he and his new wife were grateful for their 'locker'.

--

We do not have official hope chests for our girls--but the oldest will be graduating from college this year! and she plans on sharing an apartment with her middle sister (still in college)... they have already started gathering their 'essentials'...

I have not had a "chest" to give to them...

But, I began setting aside holiday platters (the very nice ones at dept. stores) for the girls... or little things like that to give to each of them (the girls).

This year I am watching clearance sales more carefully because my second dd may be married within the next year and a half... and I think it would be fun to find some household items, decorations, what-nots that I "know" (not just random stuff, but if I see something that I know would be loved or valued!), and getting it to stick aside for when "the time comes".

I was give my grandmother's cedar chest... filled with dishes and towel sets and stuff... I love that. I wish I had that to offer, but I don't. But, the best memory was when my grandmother was still with us and I spent a summer with her and she brought out a LOVELY set of silverware and said it was for me for when I had a home of my own some day. I was 16 and loved it very much.

One branch of my family does something similar but they call it their bottom drawer. They fill it over the years with stuff for when they get married. I like the idea of collecting nice practical things but I would do it for first home wherever that may be, rather than marriage.

My grandpa made me a cedar lined, oak hope chest for my 15th birthday. People didn't specifically make or buy things for it, but they did give me items they were getting rid of that would be handy when living on my own.

My aunt gave me her old silver wear set, nothing fancy but she did still have the box it came in. My mom gave me an electric hand mixer. My grandma gave me a few pots and pans. And so on. It was all very nice to have when I got married and moved into my first apartment with dh at 19.

No linens or nice dish sets, but those depend more on personal tastes and I received that sort of stuff when I got married.

I did this when I was younger. My mother helped, but I've always been sort of practical and so it was mostly me that bought things and put them in.

I have started this with my daughter. She got a recipe box for Christmas with different kinds of recipe cards and some potholders. The box was handcrafted here in the US, by my specs. I wanted it to have clean simple lines that would stay in style. We will add things as time goes on. As for linens and towels, if a person stays with a basic color and good quality then you can't go wrong. Just stay away from prints as they seem to come and go with the years. Classic simple colors can fit in just about anywhere. I plan to crochet her various dish/washclothes. They too will be in neutral colors.

I think that the needs have changed. It is now customary for couples to register and receive many of the things that would have been in a Hope Chest. They are also not as expensive or difficult to obtain.

We are setting aside things that the girls make for their future homes. I also collect books that they will need: both a set of homemaking books and a home library for their children. Dh is making each of them a chest for their 17th birthday, but right now everything is in plastic storage tubs. :D Like a pp said, their education is our biggest investment, as well as training in other areas: manners, domestic arts, parenting. I think those things are harder to come by now and the material goods easier.

Ds has a tool chest my parents bought him. Each year, they get him a set of Craftsman tools to go in it. When he is older, we will get him some of the larger tools he will need. He also has a library set aside in the attic.

We have "keepsake boxes" where I keep all those special items from their lives. I also am making handwritten cookbooks for both my ds & dd. My dad bought my son a toolbox years ago & they like to get him quality tools, so that when he is out of the house he'll have a nice supply. My dad is quite handy, so he likes to involve both of my children in fixing, building or remodeling things.

I think that the needs have changed. It is now customary for couples to register and receive many of the things that would have been in a Hope Chest.

I think the hope chest idea is starting to come back because some of us aren't married and therefore don't expect that our children will either. There are no registries for de facto couples. :)

Rosie

My dc don't have hope chests. I have one that was my grandmother's, and my mother and grandmother collected things for years and filled it as well as some boxes. They gave me things they didn't want anymore themselves as well as things they thought I should have.

The problem is they didn't take my style or likes into consideration. I didn't want to be ungrateful, but I didn't like the patterns they picked out. My grandmother had an entire set of dishes she bought for me from the grocery store. Every time you spent an amount of money, you could buy a place setting, or something like that. It was a hideously ugly pattern, but she collected it all for me. There was a set of flatware. That was not ugly, but not something I would have picked out. There were many embroidered tablecloths (not in colors I liked) and embroidered pillowcases (again, not patterns I liked and my dh laughed at the pink cats on some of the pillowcases). There were crocheted kitchen towels, too.

The most practical things they collected for me, and something I truly appreciated and used, was Tupperware. My mother and grandmother had plenty of Tupperware, but when they went to a party, they would buy something for my hope chest, and I still use that Tupperware today. Some of what they bought was fairly useless (to me, like the hamburger patty former and containers), but I think the Tupperware was excellent for a hope chest.

I couldn't get rid of anything because they would know. I hated the plate pattern, and told them to give it to my db because he didn't have any dishes. He used it for less than a year before he passed it on (it really was ugly). I have a stack of embroidered tablecloths because I can't get rid of them. My grandma made them, after all.

So while I know my mother and grandmother meant well and collected items because they loved me and wanted to help me, I wish they had consulted me and let me be in on some of the decisions, like colors and patterns, so that what they bought would have been more usable. What it meant was that when I got married I couldn't register for what I wanted because they had already bought it for me and were terribly insulted and hurt that I wanted to pick out something different. So I didn't register and made do with what they gave me. I wanted to buy what I wanted, but couldn't justify spending the money when I had something that was working perfectly well and I just didn't like it. I made do. But it would have been nicer if they had taken me into consideration. But they did mean well.

So while I think items in a hope chest can be practical and helpful, I am collecting things that my dc know about. They won't have a hope chest, but I do have things set aside for them or money saved to buy items for them, like place settings that they like, and flatware that they like. There are some Pampered Chef and Tupperware items they like to use and they want their own for their apartments and dorm rooms, and they appreciate it. I want them to have say in what I set aside for them because I didn't get that consideration.

But it takes a lot of money to set up a kitchen and buy towels, etc. I think it is great to have some of those items set aside, ready to go when our children need them.

The most practical things they collected for me, and something I truly appreciated and used, was Tupperware. My mother and grandmother had plenty of Tupperware, but when they went to a party, they would buy something for my hope chest, and I still use that Tupperware today. Some of what they bought was fairly useless (to me, like the hamburger patty former and containers), but I think the Tupperware was excellent for a hope chest.

This is a good idea. Every year my mother buys my dsil and me a few Pampered Chef tools. I have quite a collection, and they are wonderful to have in the kitchen. That would be a great thing to buy ahead of time. It would be expensive to get them all at once, but one excellent spatula or nutmeg grinder at a time is a little easier. :D

You mention another reason I haven't put a lot of the usual things into a Hope Chest, too. There are SO many patterns and choices now, and I want my dc to be able to pick what they love to have around them every day. Dh and I took whatever anyone gave us and that is how we furnished our home (no wedding shower, as we eloped,and we were both students.) I know my dc will be in a much better place financially, and I'm not worried about them getting most of what they need and beig able to pick what they want. We are saving the things they won't be able to buy easily: old cookbooks and classic literature, handmade quilts and blankets, and so on.

I have a set of china set aside for my older son, as well as a large set of everyday crockery I found for him last summer at a yard sale (Pfaltzgraff). I don't sew, but I have a ton of antique linens that I will be happy to share, someday, if anyone wants those things in their house. My mother has had some quilts made for the boys and they use them already. We just had bedroom furniture made for them that they will take with them into adulthood.

Not for a hope chest, but when I was 16yo and opened my first bank account, I got a set of nesting pyrex mixing bowls with covers. Almost 30 years later I still have/use the largest one (the only one left.) :)

Books probably aren't a typical hope chest thing, but we buy books for our kids every year to help start their own "personal libraries".