Menu

Christian Perspective of Daisies/Brownies (Girl Scouts)

What do you think about Daisies (the K-1 level of Girl Scouts), particularly from a Christian perspective?

It sounds like a nice little program. What I am concerned about are the recent articles about the liberal agenda of the Girl Scouts. Is that agenda apparent at the Daisy level, Brownies level, or mainly at higher levels? Does it depend mostly on the leader?

I looked at the Girl Scout Promise. That is nice except for the asterisk on God, where it appears that the girls are told some kind of relativistic thing about God. Is that what happens? This kind of thing is what has me concerned about Girl Scouts.

:confused:

Girl scouts has no requirement for belief in God, unlike Boy Scouts. How this s handled depends on the troop and leader. Some troops are sponsored by churches the same way Boy Scout troops could be sponsored by a church. I would imagine if the troop is sponsored by a church, there might be a little more religious influence. My dd was in a non church sponsored group for a couple of years. It was just a fun club. The leader did encourage the girls to work on the religious emblem for their particular denomination.

The asterisk only comes up if there is a girl whose family objects to the use of the word God. In that case, that particular girl is allowed to substitute something else ('good' is one suggestion that I've seen), and the rest of the girls with no objections still say God, so if they're saying it all at the same time (usual), you wouldn't really even notice the one girl saying something different. I've been involved for a total of 20 years, and it has never come up -- even my Wiccan Girl Scout leader one year just went with God as a simplified version of her beliefs and let it go.

The Daisy program is centered around earning petals -- so they do activities that equate with each part of the Girl Scout Law. To make the world a better place, they might plant flowers for a nursing home or pick up trash at a park. To use resources wisely, they might talk about recycling and do a game with that or go to the recycling plant, To Respect Authority usually means a trip to the Police or Fire Station for a tour ... a lot depends on the individual troop leader, and I have never really seen any of the purported national agenda pushed on me as a girl member (even at international and national events as a teen), on my own girls at council activities or in their troops (their leaders have generally been more conservative than I am), and as a leader, I have felt no pressure to go beyond anything other than what is written in the Scout Law as I choose to interpret it with my troop. This year, I have a group that is functioning as Brownies, but technically, I'm a catch-all homeschool troop for Daisies/Brownies/Juniors for a large area (the south end of my county and possibly a chunk of the north end of the county below).

Being a Girl Scout leader in a Christian school, It is possible to find good Christian Girl Scout troops. We have two in our area. One being mine and the other a homeschool group. Girl Scouts is what you make it out to be. We do not affiliate ourselves with the issues others talk about. Granted there is nothing Pro-choice or pro lesibian in the Girl Scout curriculum whatsoever. I'm not sure if its because we live in a small town. But we have never encountered ANY of the stuff people talk about. It maybe stuff that people deal with in the corporate level. But not with the kids. Or maybe if you live in a bigger city maybe , not sure.

I don't know. Last year I started out with 10 girls and this year I'm up to 14. We have a good time. We work on activities, crafts, cooking , playing games etc. It just all depends on the group and the leader. What I do suggest is observing groups before committing to them. Some are good and some not so good. Other then that as a Christian myself. I find nothing wrong with the kids being Girl Scouts. Get to know the leader, see how they run the group. Get a feel of the leader's belief system. Ask parents about them. Just like you would do with anything your children participate in.

Now the 'other stuff' I hope at some point will be taken care of , if I don't continue to lead then I have no say in how things go. Those things really are at the adult level. Has nothing to do with the curriculum the leaders have for the kids.

This is my second year being a leader and my oldest has been a Girl Scout since the age of 5. All four of my girls are Girl Scouts ( 1 Daisy, 1 Junior, 2 Caddettes)

I'm a Daisy leader, and I can honestly say that each mom who volunteers to be a leader will just be trying her best to make it a nice activity! If she has some agenda, then that's sad.

In my little local Muslim community, a bunch of moms wanted our girls to be in Scouts together, so we took the training, signed up a troop, and started meeting using the guide books and the internet for ideas. We learn the Girl Scout Law and Promise, and for Daisies we just do all those nice character building things to earn petals.

As Muslims we believe in serving God and in serving others, so the promise is all good with us! We would happily accept any girl who is not Muslim to join our troop, but we do have an Islamic approach as we say some verses from the Quran when we start and close, and we earn patches related to some of our acts of worship. All of that is encouraged in Girls Scouts, so maybe that's what the OP is talking about? They're trying to encourage any group to follow scouting while incorporating their own beliefs as well. I didn't get the idea that it was just a Christian organization. I also never got the idea of feeling of any liberal issues being suggested or pushed.

Sorry if this is a controversial topic, but I have had very bad experiences with our public school teaching all kinds of strange religious teachings and promoting immoral topics. I got my kids out of there, and now I just don't want to deal with any more of that for the time being. I'm a conservative, but we live in a very liberal area. Even the people who go to churches around here are quite liberal.

I thought I would ask people to share any experiences with Girl Scouts since I'm thinking of signing up one of my kids for Daisies.

Thanks for the stories from all of you who have been in scouts and who have been leaders.

I think it really depends on the individual troop dynamics and leader. Most of the issues people have objections to probably wouldn't be an issue until the girls are older, at which point open discussions about your beliefs and the beliefs of others are generally a good thing. :001_smile: (IMHO)

We do Girl Scouts. This is our 4th year. I really, really dislike the change to the Journeys projects that the girls have to do. I currently have a Daisy, Brownie and a Junior. I lead the Juniors. The girls HATE the Journey stuff. The badge books are now very scripted and limiting. I really liked GS the way is was before this year. Very open ended which allowed each troop to really customize their troop. Our troop is a homeschool only troop and the way the current badges and Journeys are written, the meetings feel like being in public school I wish they would change it back. As far as it being Christian or not... the Girl Scout Promise is

On my honor, I will try:

To serve God and my country,

To help people at all times,

And to live by the Girl Scout Law

We did Daisies for a year and had a bad experience, not because of any of the controversial stuff but because of cliquishness of the girls and their moms. I had naively thought that joining a troop that drew girls from a variety of schools would avoid the cliquishness but the girls formed little mini-cliques with their schoolmates and poor DD was odd girl out :thumbdown:

I have thought about having DD join the HS troop of AHG next year when DS is old enough to join the HS Cub Scouts troop (they are held at the same time & location).

I was a Brownie/Girls Scout in the 70's..benign fun. When I started looking at options for my girls, my biggest problem was continuity and consistency. They are allowing the program to be 'adapted' to the needs of many....Planned Parenthood was allowed to pass out brochures at a panel hosted by the UN to a group of young adolescents...the content was material I would not want any organization to pass out to my young daughters...the problem with appealing to the masses is that standards and moral codes will ultimately be challenged...I just was not interested in dealing with that fight. There are many wonderful scouting troops in GSA...you just have to do your homework.

I started an AHG troop 6 years ago and our numbers have increased 8 fold! Started with 8 we have over 65 in the troop now. It's a great and well supported organization.

DD the Elder is in her first year of Juniors (ETA: after two years of Brownies). Most of the troop is Christian, and she is the only one who doesn't say "God." No one bats an eye either way. They're based in a senior center and participate in their bake sales. It's nice.

Edited by Moderator
Removed quote from deleted post

I would think that a Daisy or Brownie troop would be a fairly benign and fun place for little girls.

However, before jumping in, make sure you know what is down the road. Often little girls make strong friends and they all want to continue through to high school. So, take a look at what the high schoolers in Girl Scouts are up to, since that's likely to be in your dd's future. Are you comfortable with the handbooks and awards, the website, etc.?

Check out where the national dues go. You okay with that? Meet the paid workers in your local council. Do you agree with them on how they do things?

Check out the programs that your council offers. I guess councils are different, but often when you join one, you get mail and email promoting summer camps, day camps, "special opportunities" and other programs. Do you want your daughter at them? If not, will her friends sign up but she won't be able to go?

Spend an hour googling things. You okay with what you read?

Many families ARE just fine with all levels of girl scouting but many accidentally sign up only to learn that they don't agree on certain points, sometimes enough to pull their child from the program. And that hurts the child and her friends still in the troop because they miss each other.

This advice, of course, is not just for Girl Scouts but for any organization that your child is likely to have a long membership in.

I sort of learned the hard way. I was a girl scout until I graduated high school in 1982, and then worked at scout camps, and as an assistant leader until taking a break from 1990-2000. I got back involved when my oldest was ready for Daisies and I sort of assumed it hadn't changed much. I led a troop (Daisies and then Brownies) for three years and become more and more uncomfortable with the program the more I learned about the organization in general (links with Planned Parenthood, the feel-good badges that took the place of the old badges, etc.). I didn't like the way the council ran summer camp, which my girls wanted to go to. Finally, I quit in June 2003. While Brownies and Daisies were okay, I just didn't like the materials that the older girls used nor did I like what I read about the people leading the organization at the national level.

I am more conservative than most. I don't want to push my conservatism or views on anyone, just share my experience. I wish I had looked into it more in 2000 before I signed up, took the training, registered a troop, etc.

Here is a website that might already be on this thread (didn't check out all the PPs): http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/ It's by girls that dropped out of GS. This website didn't exist when I made my decision to quit but it outlines a lot of reasons I was less than impressed with the current state of Girl Scouts.

Do what works for YOU. Just do it informed... Don't make my mistake of signing up and then discovering that you are really uncomfortable... Make sure it fits your family -- and it DOES fit many families -- just not mine.

Edited by Bassoonaroo

Unless things have drastically changed in the past few years, your GS experience will be far more colored by your individual troop and local council than by the national organization. Personally, I have been avoiding getting involved with GS with my own children even though I was a member for 12 years and enjoyed it very much. Our local council has problems that really do effect the girls' ability to participate in the things I loved most about scouting, namely camping. Even so, we have a dd interested right now, and letting her join does not mean signing some binding document that she must complete patches or participate in events that I feel are complete horse hockey.

I know there has been some lighthearted reponses to your query, but you have been given good advice. If you are really concerned about the influences of liberal thinking (secular and christian) on your children, you either need a different organization or a troop attached to a very conservative church. You might also want to look over the handbooks and patch requirements for older girls as well as your DD's current level.

Sorry if this is a controversial topic, but I have had very bad experiences with our public school teaching all kinds of strange religious teachings and promoting immoral topics. I got my kids out of there, and now I just don't want to deal with any more of that for the time being. I'm a conservative, but we live in a very liberal area. Even the people who go to churches around here are quite liberal.

I thought I would ask people to share any experiences with Girl Scouts since I'm thinking of signing up one of my kids for Daisies.

Thanks for the stories from all of you who have been in scouts and who have been leaders.

Is it possible for you to find a troop associated with a church? I'm a GS leader for my daughters troop, and I'm not crazy about all the materials that come from GS, but as a leader I can adapt them to meet our needs. We do the minimum required with their materials, focus on earning religious scouting awards, and do service for the service type awards. I like the values in the promise and law and that GS has a leadership focus. Some of the details don't neccisarily fit for our group, so we tweak them. It is all very dependent on your leader, moreso than in Boy Scouts, where the requirements are quite firm.

I've been involved in GS off and on for most of my life.

All I can say is that it really really comes down the to the troop and the leadership. My dds have had the same leader since my oldest was in Kindy (she is now in 10th) and there have never been any issues with things coming up of a questionable nature. Our leader (probably by design) stays entirely away from controversial subjects and the meetings are just about the crafts, the activities, the field trips, etc.

As for children making friends with people with whom they can't remain friends, that can happen in any setting for any reason. :( Sometimes it will be your choice and sometimes it will be the choice of the other parent. Either way, it hurts the dc, and when dc hurt, their mamas hurt, too. :grouphug:

I'm a Brownie leader and was a Daisy leader last year. We just told the moms last year that if anyone had a problem saying God or praying before snack, etc., to let us know. Nobody said anything so we don't make an issue out of it. I've never received anything saying that we're supposed to teach any specific agenda. At one Service Unit meeting we discussed the whole "Happy, Healthy, Hot" thing that was an issue last year, but they made it clear that that was a WAGS brochure, not Girl Scouts, and was at an international conference in Europe somewhere. I would never discuss something like that as a leader--I'd step down and remove my daughter from GS if they tried to make me. We pretty much do our own thing as it is, because of other issues from troops in our immediate area. I think each troop will be different, depending on the leader, though.

I would think that a Daisy or Brownie troop would be a fairly benign and fun place for little girls.

However, before jumping in, make sure you know what is down the road. Often little girls make strong friends and they all want to continue through to high school. So, take a look at what the high schoolers in Girl Scouts are up to, since that's likely to be in your dd's future. Are you comfortable with the handbooks and awards, the website, etc.?

Check out where the national dues go. You okay with that? Meet the paid workers in your local council. Do you agree with them on how they do things?

Check out the programs that your council offers. I guess councils are different, but often when you join one, you get mail and email promoting summer camps, day camps, "special opportunities" and other programs. Do you want your daughter at them? If not, will her friends sign up but she won't be able to go?

Spend an hour googling things. You okay with what you read?

Many families ARE just fine with all levels of girl scouting but many accidentally sign up only to learn that they don't agree on certain points, sometimes enough to pull their child from the program. And that hurts the child and her friends still in the troop because they miss each other.

This advice, of course, is not just for Girl Scouts but for any organization that your child is likely to have a long membership in.

I sort of learned the hard way. I was a girl scout until I graduated high school in 1982, and then worked at scout camps, and as an assistant leader until taking a break from 1990-2000. I got back involved when my oldest was ready for Daisies and I sort of assumed it hadn't changed much. I led a troop (Daisies and then Brownies) for three years and become more and more uncomfortable with the program the more I learned about the organization in general (links with Planned Parenthood, the feel-good badges that took the place of the old badges, etc.). I didn't like the way the council ran summer camp, which my girls wanted to go to. Finally, I quit in June 2003. While Brownies and Daisies were okay, I just didn't like the materials that the older girls used nor did I like what I read about the people leading the organization at the national level.

I am more conservative than most. I don't want to push my conservatism or views on anyone, just share my experience. I wish I had looked into it more in 2000 before I signed up, took the training, registered a troop, etc.

Here is a website that might already be on this thread (didn't check out all the PPs): http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/ It's by girls that dropped out of GS. This website didn't exist when I made my decision to quit but it outlines a lot of reasons I was less than impressed with the current state of Girl Scouts.

Do what works for YOU. Just do it informed... Don't make my mistake of signing up and then discovering that you are really uncomfortable... Make sure it fits your family -- and it DOES fit many families -- just not mine.

Agree! I will be pulling my girls out at the end of this year. The Brownie/Daisy stuff is fine, but the Junior material is not. GS is also requiring that you do things a certain way now, so the adaptability of the past is gone.

What I am concerned about are the recent articles about the liberal agenda of the Girl Scouts.

For some Christians, the liberal agenda is not only completely appropriate but desirable. This is important because for liberal Christians this use of the term "christian" to mean conservative views is isolating and it also gives non-Christians a very narrow view of what Christianity is.

That said I'm a Girl Guide leader and I'd say it depends on your troop. In my troop we don't deal with religion because there's a fair amount of diversity from RC to atheist. We don't promote any agenda though other then just having a good time with the girls.

Edited by WishboneDawn

For some Christians, the liberal agenda is not only completely appropriate but desirable.

I know this isn't a huge point but Christianity encompasses a huge diversity of views and political stances and to use it as code for just a conservative Christian view is isolating for those who don't share it and gives the wrong impression for those outside of Christianity.

I don't mean to pick on the OP, I'm just tired of the term "Christian" being used when a much narrower subset of Christianity is meant.

:iagree:Amen:D

For some Christians, the liberal agenda is not only completely appropriate but desirable. This is important because for liberal Christians this use of the term "christian" to mean conservative views is isolating and it also gives non-Christians a very narrow view of what Christianity is.

That said I'm a Girl Guide leader and I'd say it depends on your troop. In my troop we don't deal with religion because there's a fair amount of diversity from RC to atheist. We don't promote any agenda though other then just having a good time with the girls.

Honestly, in 7 years of leading Daisies through Juniors, I never even saw this supposed agenda and only heard about it from people recruiting for AHGs.

Yes. Thank you, Dawn.

astrid

Check into their newest little tidbit...that the recommended that girls go to Media Matters for unbiased news. Though a small example, that should tell you where their heads are.

Could you provide this link? I can't find it anywhere on the GSUSA website.

Thanks,

astrid

As for children making friends with people with whom they can't remain friends, that can happen in any setting for any reason. :( Sometimes it will be your choice and sometimes it will be the choice of the other parent. Either way, it hurts the dc, and when dc hurt, their mamas hurt, too. :grouphug:

That's true. However, it's a rare situation when the kids will presumably be together on a regular basis for years, in a small group.

Thank you for all of the replies. I appreciate everyone'e feedback.

Thanks especially to Bassoonaroo for writing out all of that information and telling about your experiences.

Thanks also to the Moderator for cleaning up this thread. My original question was sincere, and it is nice to read sincere answers.

I can't imagine what all of the deleted things say??

I have had new members question me and our leader (I have been a co-leader for several years.)about some of the things that come up in the media and on message boards. But I have never seen any of it. We have even asked our council their official views on some controversial topics and gotten a very good official response. God is in the G.S. Promise. We are a Christian troop. We meet at a church. We pray before ceremonies and when we have meals together.

My children have been scouts since they were daisies and will be as long as they want. The organization is not conservative. I see that. But it isn't promoting anything to the girls. The daisies and brownies are very sweet programs. We are just starting the new junior program for the first time, so I am still sorting it out. I don't find it promoting anything bad. The worst trouble with it is that it is a lot of fluff from what I see. But we are working on having the juniors work towards their bronze award, which is a long term service project with many hours. So it will be good for those that put in the work. But my girls have done a lot of service projects, crafts, camping, and fellowship with their troop. It has been a positive experience.

oh, and I agree w/Basoonaroo about the summer camps. We don't do them. Parents aren't allowed, even if the parent is the leader from what I understand. The only council camps we do are when ours has council wides that parents can pay and attend. And at those, we have had good times, and are happy that we are there in charge of our own kiddos.

I understand that while they may not be promoting anything straight to the girls, I don't want my money going to help fund Planned Parenthood, The alliance for gay marriage, or anything else that I don't agree with. Those are my personal preferences. I am going to do Little Flowers with my daughter when she's older.

I can't imagine what all of the deleted things say??

I have had new members question me and our leader (I have been a co-leader for several years.)about some of the things that come up in the media and on message boards. But I have never seen any of it. We have even asked our council their official views on some controversial topics and gotten a very good official response. God is in the G.S. Promise. We are a Christian troop. We meet at a church. We pray before ceremonies and when we have meals together.

My children have been scouts since they were daisies and will be as long as they want. The organization is not conservative. I see that. But it isn't promoting anything to the girls. The daisies and brownies are very sweet programs. We are just starting the new junior program for the first time, so I am still sorting it out. I don't find it promoting anything bad. The worst trouble with it is that it is a lot of fluff from what I see. But we are working on having the juniors work towards their bronze award, which is a long term service project with many hours. So it will be good for those that put in the work. But my girls have done a lot of service projects, crafts, camping, and fellowship with their troop. It has been a positive experience.

How do your kids feel about the Junior Journeys? As a Junior leader this year, I think they are just awful. The kids hate them and I can see why many people feel that some items in the Journeys are inappropriate. Prior to the implementation of the Journeys and new badges, I like Girl Scouts. Now, I can't wait to get out.

That's true. However, it's a rare situation when the kids will presumably be together on a regular basis for years, in a small group.

I understand. It happened to my dd. She was "bf's" with a little girl in her Daisy troop and they were friends from Kindy to around 2nd grade and then all of a sudden, the other little girl wasn't allowed to have anything to do with my dd. She remained with the troop until the beginning of this year. (They are all in 10th grade.) To this day, I have *no* idea what happened or why this mother decided our dds couldn't be friends. She and I were friends, too. And she suddenly quit talking to me. Period. Cold. My poor baby girl was crushed, for a long time. :( It happens, and in this case, it had *nothing* to do with religion.

Thanks especially to Bassoonaroo for writing out all of that information and telling about your experiences.

You are welcome. I was hesitant to post because I know my views are not shared by everyone so I tried to explain "it's just me..." and not push it on everyone else. But I also realize there are people here that share my conservatism and concerns.

I've got good friends very much involved in GSUSA and they are having good experiences. But we (meaning my family) had enough stuff creep in once we did things outside the troop (summer camp had some weird spiritual things and an all-council Alice in Wonderland Party for only Daisies prompted me to write apologies to all my parents due to the material they presented there) that we were uncomfortable. It broke my heart because those girls were good friends and have now drifted apart (it's been a decade...).

To the person(s) asking about the Media Matters reference in Girl Scouts, it was/is apparently in a book called "Media" for 6th through 8th graders. Under a Chapter called "Consider the Source," it says:

"The Internet is a breeding ground for “urban legends,” which are false stories told as if true. Next time you receive a txt or e-mail about something that seems unbelievable, confirm it before you spread it.

If you google the origins and funding of Media Matters, you will see why if you are conservative this may be a red flag to you about the mindset of the leadership in GS. After being called out, they have promised to pull that reference, but they are leaving it in the books already published.

To me it is not a HUGE example in and of itself, but an overall red flag if they consider Media Matters as a great agency for unbiased media. That is, if you are a conservative parent and are checking into the political leanings of GS. YMMV.

Edited by Moderator
No links. See board rules.

You are welcome. I was hesitant to post because I know my views are not shared by everyone so I tried to explain "it's just me..." and not push it on everyone else. But I also realize there are people here that share my conservatism and concerns.

I've got good friends very much involved in GSUSA and they are having good experiences. But we (meaning my family) had enough stuff creep in once we did things outside the troop (summer camp had some weird spiritual things and an all-council Alice in Wonderland Party for only Daisies prompted me to write apologies to all my parents due to the material they presented there) that we were uncomfortable. It broke my heart because those girls were good friends and have now drifted apart (it's been a decade...).

I feel your first paragraph is disingenuous, especially what I bolded. You posted quite an inflammatory post about GS in May, complete with "statistics" that were not backed up.

Sorry-no time to read thread other than OP.

We are conservative Christians and did Daisy and part of Brownies. Did not want our money going to support liberal activities (PP, etc) so when we found out, we pulled out. (and I agree w/ what others said that the flavor of the group totally depends on the leader.)

What I did was start a group called Keepers at Home. Everything you need is on their website http://www.keepersofthefaith.com -they have a handbook, gorgeous badges and sashes, etc, and best of all it is completely Christ-honoring AND run by the parent leader to be however you want it-they give you a leader package and you can make your group as small or large as you want (even just a family can do it!) There are no fees except your handbook, etc. (They also have a boys' program you can do.)

For instance, we asked older women in the church to guest lead for one meeting in whatever their specialty was: cake decorating, quilting, etc. A bonus was that the girls developed some nice Titus 2 relationships w/ some of the older women, which was nice for them AND the older women! (you don't have to do it this way, but we chose to-you can make it however you want-you totally design it.) They have service badges, badges for instrument, archery, sports, etc-it is not just homemaking stuff. We tried to include an element of service into whatever badges we could-if we made quilts, or knitted hats, we donated them, etc.

I highly, highly recommend this program as a Girl Scouts alternative.

I looked into AHG but you need a sponsor church and it is very $$, and you have to follow their rules.

I won't be cking back to this thread; pm me if you have questions, but their website gives all the info.

How do your kids feel about the Junior Journeys? As a Junior leader this year, I think they are just awful. The kids hate them and I can see why many people feel that some items in the Journeys are inappropriate. Prior to the implementation of the Journeys and new badges, I like Girl Scouts. Now, I can't wait to get out.

It is too soon to tell. They have to do one to work towards the bronze. They picked Amuse. But so far it has been playing games and doing crafts. We haven't gotten too far in though. I wish we could just work on badges and skills and service hours, but they have to go through it for the bronze.

The girls are fine with it. We are a very small troop. They just want to be together. We do enough camping and field trips and parties with all of the girls (we are a mixed age troop) and the boy scouts so they are happy. We have also interspersed the year with working on some of the legacy badges which are definitely better.

For now we are still rolling with scouts since the girls have been in it so long and want to go all the way and earn the awards they saw their older friends and siblings do. G.S. does seem to recall any controversial action once they are called on it I have noticed, like the "non biased" link mentioned above and the boy that they were going to allow in.

It is too soon to tell. They have to do one to work towards the bronze. They picked Amuse. But so far it has been playing games and doing crafts. We haven't gotten too far in though. I wish we could just work on badges and skills and service hours, but they have to go through it for the bronze.

The girls are fine with it. We are a very small troop. They just want to be together. We do enough camping and field trips and parties with all of the girls (we are a mixed age troop) and the boy scouts so they are happy. We have also interspersed the year with working on some of the legacy badges which are definitely better.

For now we are still rolling with scouts since the girls have been in it so long and want to go all the way and earn the awards they saw their older friends and siblings do. G.S. does seem to recall any controversial action once they are called on it I have noticed, like the "non biased" link mentioned above and the boy that they were going to allow in.

I agree with the bolded. I feel like GS has taken away choice and made everything so lock-step. It makes me sad.

I feel your first paragraph is disingenuous, especially what I bolded. You posted quite an inflammatory post about GS in May, complete with "statistics" that were not backed up.

And I was quite unhappy with my conversation in May. So I tried to tone this down.

I realized I was inflammatory and should've apologized a while ago. So now, sorry.

What statistics were you unable to find with a little googling?

I had problems with scouts, but none of it was from religious tolerance or intolerance (from wherever you sit). :001_smile:

And some of the same issues I had with scouts, were just public school in general. THAT said, I've never been involved with a troop outside of PS and I DO believe it's all up to the leader.

Perhaps you're willing to lead? And, if you had a group of girls you were all familiar with that might work?

But yeah, I'm going with Little Flowers.