Menu

Do you keep a change of clothes (for the kids) in your vehicle?

My 5yo had an accident when we were stuck in traffic last week and wet the car seat. :( Thankfully I had a change of clothes in the car, but nothing in his size. I had pants/shirt/undies for the 3yo and pants/pink shirt for an older girl. :tongue_smilie:

I typically keep them in there in case someone toss their cookies or has a potty accident while we are out. :ack2: They are not what I would classify a "nice" change of clothes- nothing horribly ugly, but nothing I would want my kids to be out and about shopping in, if that makes sense.

Of course, this time, the shirt for the 3yo was way too small so my 5yo had to wear pants that came just below his knees and a pink t-shirt. :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking I need to revamp how I pack clothes in the van. :D I don't have the energy to rotate the clothes so I don't want to pack any of their nice stuff back there (I'm secretly hoping to never have to use this change of clothes ;)) but I also want to have clothes that they can wear out (there was no reason I couldn't have gone to the mall after he peed himself since he wasn't sick but I couldn't in short green pants and a pink camo top). :lol:

If you keep a change of clothes in your vehicle, what do you keep? I was so proud of myself for having a change of clothes, but despite my son being dry, he was far too funny a sight to take anywhere so I ended up having to go home anyways.

Do you buy an outfit especially for your vehicle? Choose the ugliest they own since these clothes shouldn't get worn often, if at all? Do you have an outfit per child? Do you include socks and underwear too? Or, am I the only one who does this? :leaving:

I also realized that a change of clothes is one thing, but one also needs towels or something to put between the wet car seat and the fresh set of clothes. Sigh.

What else do you keep in your vehicle "just in case?"

Edited by plain jane

I always have an extra outfit in the diaper bag for the baby and usually have something in the car for older DS, not so much for accidents (which could happen), but really more for if he gets dirty while at art class, or while at the park or if he gets cold (he tend to under dress). In the winter I always have an extra jacket, blanket, mittens and socks in the car for each passenger since we live in a fairly remote area and sliding off the road could mean a while before someone can get to us.

If we are going to be out for the day I always have the boys give me a change of clothes that I keep all in one bag. It has saved me more than once.

I also keep towels, paper towels, baby wipes and ziploc's or garbage bags as well. I think I even have some concentrated liquid soap.

I like to be over prepared in case of emergency.

I'd have gone to the mall/Walmart in the mismatched set and bought a new pair of clothes for the kid. :)

Sometimes I have spare clothes in the car for the older child. Sometimes all I have is a blanket.

When I take clothes to childcare/the car as spares that won't get used once in 3 months, I choose the hand me down clothes that I prefer him not wearing in the first place, but will work in a pinch.

I have undies and pants for DD4 that I usually carry with me....she still has the occasional accident. And of course I have multiple changes of clothes for the baby. As of late, I also carry me an extra shirt....in case I get spit up on. Nothing for DD7 though. And yes, the change of clothes for the 4 year old is not a nice outfit. No holes or anything, but more like play clothes.

I've been wanting to pack a small Rubbermaid bin to keep in the car with an extra change for each child and an extra shirt for me. Plus, extras like diapers, wipes, first aid stuff, etc. I need to do this.

I'd have gone to the mall/Walmart in the mismatched set and bought a new pair of clothes for the kid. :)

Sometimes I have spare clothes in the car for the older child. Sometimes all I have is a blanket.

When I take clothes to childcare/the car as spares that won't get used once in 3 months, I choose the hand me down clothes that I prefer him not wearing in the first place, but will work in a pinch.

I thought about that, and have had to do that in the past :glare: but this time it was only a 20 min drive and it cost me less in gas than a new outfit would have been.

I was just thinking about this over the weekend. The baby tends to have blow outs that go up her back, so I was thinking about a change of clothes for her in the back of the van.

Your post got me to thinking that my 5 yr. old dd also should have something in case of accidents. Hmmm, I guess the older boys should too lol. Man, that backpack is full now ;).

I have undies and pants for DD4 that I usually carry with me....she still has the occasional accident. And of course I have multiple changes of clothes for the baby. As of late, I also carry me an extra shirt....in case I get spit up on. Nothing for DD7 though. And yes, the change of clothes for the 4 year old is not a nice outfit. No holes or anything, but more like play clothes.

I've been wanting to pack a small Rubbermaid bin to keep in the car with an extra change for each child and an extra shirt for me. Plus, extras like diapers, wipes, first aid stuff, etc. I need to do this.

Oh. A Rubbermaid bin sounds like a good idea. I just have mine in a plastic bag.

I'm thinking perhaps I should go to Goodwill and pick up a few towels to keep in the car too. Wipes and diapers are a good idea too- thanks! I've left the house without my diaper bag before & that is frustrating when you're off to visit someone with no baby and yours decides to ... well, you know. :o

I am afraid to answer this, because you know it's just asking for trouble. The answer is no, I have not felt the need for this in a long time. It would probably be prudent to have stuff, but I figure that since both of my kids are of similar sizes and usually have two layers of clothes on, if one has an accident, the other one can hand lend her undies or something until we get to a place where we can change.

If I were to keep a change in the car, it would be something boring like the gray sweat pants that an auntie gave my kids. Something on the large side that I don't really like and won't miss from the regular clothes rotation.

What I do still have in the car is a Baby Bjorn "Little Potty" (in the trunk). I keep it in case anyone feels nauseous, but it would be useful in a potty emergency too. Just the other day we were held up over 1.5 hours by a freeway accident, and I wondered if I'd need to pull out that potty.

Not usually but we are hardly ever more than 15 to 30 minutes away from home. Most of our longer rides are down to MIL's and we have bags packed for a few days away so could grab something out if we had to (ds has been known to puke in the car on long trips :glare:).

I probably should. I could pack one pair of pants for both my kids - black or gray sweats in a size 6 would be slightly big on dd but not fall off and slightly short on ds but nothing extreme enough to be weird. Add a gender neutral sweatshirt or t-shirt and we would be set. We do keep a whole roll of paper towels in the car and there's usually a random assortment of blankets, jackets and socks (?). Now that my oldest has her own car though, it's less common to have extra sweatshirts that could serve as a pad/towel.

No, but I should. Thank you for the reminder.

I remember when we had a friend and her daughter over once. The girl was either seven or eight. She wet herself while playing; it was TOTALLY out of character for her, and her mom (my friend) had NO idea why she did it. Poor girl had to wear a pair of my boys undies and shorts that were two sizes too small. :tongue_smilie:

Since my boys could wear the same size in a pinch, I think I'll pick something they could both fit in, and stash it in the trunk of each car.

I'm thinking elastic waisted pants, a t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a pair of socks, and a pair of undies. That should cover all concievable emergencies. And so long a they're big enough for Zee, Moose should be able to wear them without looking circus-worthy at least.

We have emergency supplies in both cars, so there's a blanket in each of those.

I've always kept an extra set in the car. Generally something generic, like sweat pants and a top. Yes they match and are decent because I think what you wear affects your attitude and mood.

I switch out the clothes every now and then, maybe once a month. It doesn't make sense to have shorts in the winter or sweats in the summer.

I am afraid to answer this, because you know it's just asking for trouble. The answer is no, I have not felt the need for this in a long time. It would probably be prudent to have stuff, but I figure that since both of my kids are of similar sizes and usually have two layers of clothes on, if one has an accident, the other one can hand lend her undies or something until we get to a place where we can change.

If I were to keep a change in the car, it would be something boring like the gray sweat pants that an auntie gave my kids. Something on the large side that I don't really like and won't miss from the regular clothes rotation.

What I do still have in the car is a Baby Bjorn "Little Potty" (in the trunk). I keep it in case anyone feels nauseous, but it would be useful in a potty emergency too. Just the other day we were held up over 1.5 hours by a freeway accident, and I wondered if I'd need to pull out that potty.

That's what happened to us. I couldn't turn off and there was just nothing that could be done. :( Poor little guy was not impressed.

Sounds like a good idea.

Two years ago, my dd 6 at the time, had an accident in the dentist chair. A total puddle. They were so nice about it. They gave me some waterproof padding thing to put down on her booster seat for the ride home. The dentist was almost an hour from home, and the only store was a "dollar" store. I got a shirt, pants, pack of underwear, and socks (everything had been soaked). Let me say, the items were nowhere near a dollar either! :glare: I pulled around to the side of the store, out of view, and dd changed in the car. Poor kid.

I keep a rubbermaid bin with a change of clothes, wipes, paper towels, cloth towels, pull ups in all sizes of my kids, and lots of store plastic bags. I have a change of clothes for myself and all the kids. Learned to keep some for myself because riding home wearing your DCs puke is not fun.

Wipes are good for cleaning up nearly anything from car seat straps, the kid, the back of a seat etc. The plastic bags hold the clothing tied up-less smell, the wipes/dirty paper towels until you find a trash, and become a dry seat for the car seat. I just cover the car seat with the bag. It is waterproof so the pee/puke cannot soak through to the kids rear, and it is thinner than a towel so they are safer in the seat.

The pull-ups are used when you have an emergency flu strike on your way home. Learned that lesson too. NOT FUN! And when the kid is older, it is so embarrassing! The pull-ups make it much better because nobody can tell-visually, and it keeps the seat clean while you rush home.

For kids who frequently have accidents (new potty trainers) I also have a piddle pad in the seat and an extra in the box.

ETA: I also have the bjorn little potty. It has saved us many times! We live way out in the country, so every trip in to town is at least 30min with no place to stop. If you get stuck behind a tractor or combine, it will be longer!

Edited by bluemongoose

For kids who frequently have accidents (new potty trainers) I also have a piddle pad in the seat and an extra in the box.

Yes, I used to use the piddle pads (didn't know they were called that). It's all about peace of mind! Washing the pad of a car seat is not fun.:tongue_smilie:

Yes. Learned my lesson after ds1 was carsick all over himself when we were at a wildlife park 3 hours from home and in the middle of nowhere. There gift shop only sold T shirts, so the poor guy walked around all day in a ladies small T- shirt. I kept calling it his tunic. He was a rather good sport about the whole thing.

Yes, I do keep a set of clothes (top, bottom, underwear, and socks) for each of my 4 kids in the car. It's all stored in a child's size backpack, so I can just throw it in the stroller or easily grab it to transfer it to another car. Just last week I had to use the change of clothes for my ds4. We were ice skating, and he has a tendency to hold it in if he wants to play and not be interrupted. The change of clothes are not the nicest but not ugly either. Right now they are just long sleeve solid shirts and knit pants. I change the clothes in the backpack when seasons change.

Each kid has a gallon Ziploc bag (two bags for DS1 since his won't fit in one) with a change of clothes, including undies and socks, under their seat. I also have small bag with an extra jacket for every one and a spare shirt & pants for me in the back, in case I'm holding the child that gets sick. Tucked in the map pocket behind the driver's seat is a chux pad leftover from my homebirths, in case there is a car seat accident and the child needs something dry to sit on. My kids are 1, 3, 5 and 7.

We don't need them often. A few times after some especially muddy park days, the occasional potty accident, DS1 is prone to bloody noses, or when we were 2 hours away from home and DD2 puked everywhere. :ack2: I change the bags out each season, updating sizes.

I used to keep a complete change for everyone, adults included, in the car. Having babies with severe reflux who projectile vomit at the most inconvenient times taught me that lesson! (side note: dh once had to leave a movie theater and go to the adjacent Target to buy me a shirt b/c ds puked all over me, in my hair and everything, during the movie. The theater happened to have sinks in each stall, so I was able to change and wash my hair in privacy.)

Nowadays, I just keep a dress for my oldest dd, nothing fancy, medium length sleeves, and a generic sweatpants/sweatshirt outfit that will fit both my ds and youngest dd. I have a few leftover pull-ups that I stashed away under the seats in case of emergency.We always seem to have a gazillion socks floating around the car, so I don't specifically pack those.

I have a reusable grocery bag in the back of my car with 2 towels, a pair of flip flops for each of us ($5 at old navy each spring) and a set of clothes for each of the kids ($5 shirt and $5 leggings from target purchased specifically for the car). I also keep a spare shirt in the bag for myself (another solid cotton basic from target).

Neither of my kids have had an accident or gotten sick in years but they have been known to spill when we are out to eat or jump in a mud puddle at the worst possible time (then wipe themselves on me). All three of us tend to walk out to the car barefoot and not realize we are shoeless until we get somewhere which is why we keep flip flops in there as well.

I keep extra sweatshirts in the car in the winter (for when they go out without enough layers) and extra pants in the summer (for when they decide to get wet in an unexpected water play). Or, I try to. I sometimes forget or dh sometimes cleans out the car and we have an argument about it. "I put left those there on purpose!" "The car must be devoid of all things!" Sigh.

I dont drive much, but i do bike alot with my boys. As in a 30+ minute bike ride hope without stopping at a hood pace.

On/in my bike I keep in a large ziplock

1 to 2pairs of shorts

1to 2tshirts

2 pairs of socks

Hopefully 4 empty milk bags.

(if something happens to the boys shoes I can put on dry socks, then a empty milk bag then the wet shoes. Feet can then stay dry. )

We don't usually go as far in cold weather, so I don't take anything.

I also care a small first aid kit

If I am on my game when I pack all of the week's bags for our activities and for our schooling-on-the-go I also pack the emergency bag with changes of clothing out of the regular rotation. These get unpacked Friday or Saturday evening so they are not out of the rotation long enough to cause problems. (While this sounds like a lot of work, I find it really takes less than 5-10min out of my week. I've also found it is good to have "real" clothes instead of old/mismatched because sometimes you do not have the luxury of changing and going home, but instead have to carry on as though the accident didn't happen.)

When I am not on my game we end up in Target buying full price action hero underwear and jeans. :glare:

My kids are nearly-11 to 17. No more spare clothes, but when they were younger, I kept a box with a spare change for each of them that included a tee shirt and sweats, underwear and sock). I actually marked on my calendar to update them twice a year! Ha ha. I tried to have gender-neutral tee shirts (no Hot Wheels or princesses, more like camp or soccer shirts) so that if the same kid tossed cookies twice on the same trip that poor child could use someone else's spares. Each set of clothes were packed in a ziploc. I figured that when I changed the child, I'd put the soiled clothes in the ziploc (if I didn't decide to throw them away).

Anyway, I don't know if we ever used that.

We did use a potty seat. I learned that if you line a potty seat with an opened up diaper it will absorb the liquid part. And you could slide or lift out the seat and wrap up the not so liquid part.

Now, with older kids I have:

1) First aid kit in a fanny pack (so we can wear it on a hike)

2) A few trash bags -- you just never know.

3) Unopened drinks that don't need refrigeration

4) Granola bars

5) Ponchos, umbrellas

6) Teen girl monthly supplies

I haven't for years, but your post reminded me that I really planned to after my issue last week!

As a special treat I took my 5yo & 7yo boys to Sonic for the 1/2 price slushies (we had a few minutes before an appointment across town). Seconds after driving away from the drive-through, my 5yo manages to jab the straw all the way through the bottom of the cup - the resulting spew of slushy somehow managed to be impressive enough to coat him from waist to knee! I whip around the parking lot to the drive-through & grab another cup to stick under, then I pull in to a space and set to cleaning. YUCK!!!!!!!! He got some on his seat but totaled his pants.

Since we really didn't have enough time to run home, and since I hadn't carried spares in the car for a long time, we ran to the Family Dollar nearby to get a pair of pants. Of course, they turned out to have a selection of about 3 items, all of which were pants/shirt outfits and cost about 3X what I usually pay for pants. Sigh.

Anyhow... that was one very expensive cheap slushy. I think I need to get clothes for the car!! I will put in clothes big enough to fit the 7yo boy, just in case (since the 5yo could easily have worn that).

I carry an extra set for my dd - just in case.

More importantly, now that they are older, I also carry:

Wipes

Water

Bandaids

Antibiotic cream

Benadryl

Advil

Blankets (we use these things for everything from baseball games to keeping warm!)

And, depending on how long we'll be out, I throw in a snack. I don't want to be tempted to stop by a drive through!

I carry an extra set for my dd - just in case.

More importantly, now that they are older, I also carry:

Wipes

Water

Bandaids

Antibiotic cream

Benadryl

Advil

Blankets (we use these things for everything from baseball games to keeping warm!)

And, depending on how long we'll be out, I throw in a snack. I don't want to be tempted to stop by a drive through!

I carry all these as well as toilet paper, (the park restroom is often out), some sort of snack, towels, and our changes of clothing.

I haven't put it in yet but your post just reminded me. For the past couple years, I have kept a small overnight bag packed with a change of clothes (sweats) and basic toiletries in my car, along with a flashlight and wool blanket for the winter months. I drive a lot and am always afraid of being stuck somewhere in really bad weather. I figure if I am prepared, it won't happen. LOL

I also keep wipes and napkins in the car all the time just in case.