Menu

How much was your wedding dress???

$2000, custom made so that included alterations/changes to the pattern. My father picked it out (weird, I know....I ended up with this massive entourage while dress shopping....parents, grandparents, aunts....kind of embarrassing.) Parents paid for it and the rest of the wedding, and while we stuck to a budget, it was their budget and nothing I could have afforded on my own. It was a lovely wedding. This was in 2000.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our whole wedding in 2005 was about $2000, most was spent on pictures. Which was a good thing because my dad passed away 25 days later of a massive heart attack, so those were the last pictures we have of my dad. My dress was $125 off the clearance rack at a bridal store, it was a size 0 dress.

It was so fun to see photos that people posted! Mine was about $100 off the rack; my husband came along to help me pick it out. That doesn't include the flower ring I wore in my hair.

My daughter who was just married got one for about $125, with another $100 for alternations. We paid for it. It was listed as a bridesmaid dress, but was white and looked like a wedding dress to me! It was more casual I suppose, but perfect for an outdoor wedding in Costa Rica.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to play, anyway.

My dress was under $200. It was actually from the bridesmaid collection, but it was exactly what I wanted.

We got married in 1994 and paid for the wedding ourselves. The choir of which I was a member sang for the ceremony as a wedding gift to us. We did a dessert reception in our apartment. I made the cake and most of the food. The whole thing (including a three-day getaway to Atlantic City) came in just over $3,000.

My one big regret is that we did not hire a photographer. We handed out disposable cameras and asked guests to take pictures, instead. Out of about 15 cameras, I think we got two or three decent photos.

Here's one of the "better" pictures we got. You can't tell, but my dress was forrest green velvet. I loved it.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

First wedding, 1999- Very pretty brocade dress with detachable train, $230 plus about $40 in alterations.

Second wedding 2004- Simple prom dress as my wedding dress, $130-ish, plus $50 in alterations to show less skin. I think our entire wedding cost less than $2000, including the honeymoon. My parents did pay for the photographer, though, which was a nice gift, since we probably wouldn't have paid out for one if left to our own devices.

$100 a little over 20 years ago (cost of materials - my mom sewed it. AND - I lived in Chicago, she was in California. I sent measurements and hoped for the best. It turned out fine and she hemmed it the week I flew back in before the wedding...which I planned long-distance in the pre-internet days! Along with the honeymoon, since I wanted to show off my home state to my Illinois-raised hubby.)

Mine was priced at $500 (in 1995), but was a gift because DH's (very generous) aunt gave it to me. She also gave him his wedding ring, and sold us mine at cost.

I cannot imagine paying some of the prices I see on tv, and worry that kids will come to expect such extravagance due to the shows. :001_huh:

I believe mine was about $500. I had a horrible time finding dresses I liked back in the late 90s-- they were all too lacy and frilly for my tastes. I found one dress I could tolerate and that was it. My sister got married a year and a half later and there were TONS of dresses I liked. :( no fair.

I believe mine was about $500. I had a horrible time finding dresses I liked back in the late 90s-- they were all too lacy and frilly for my tastes. I found one dress I could tolerate and that was it. My sister got married a year and a half later and there were TONS of dresses I liked. :( no fair.

Mine was $500 in the late 90s, too. I loved mine,though.

My girls and I have been watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and I can't get over the price of these dresses. My dress was about $300 and alterations were another $200. I think my whole catered wedding was less than some of these dresses.

So, how much was your dress? Did you pay for it or did your parents? One girl's fiancee was paying for the whole wedding. The dress she wanted was something like $15,000 dollars but he'd only budgeted $10,000! She got the dress she wanted anyway. LOL

My dress was rented at $500 in 2000. Very fancy; ultra long train. Parents paid (only child).

I was prepared to spend up to $1000 in 1998 for the right dress... I had worked for a while and had saved up that much to use.

I looked at 3 different fancy, many-different-designers bridal shops, tried on everything, and nadda.

I then went to a fancy, higher end resale store & found THE dress... it only ended up being $250 + minor alterations. I then walked across the street & found my wedding china for about $150 at an antique store.

All in all I spent WELL under $1000 that day, and was happy as a clam. :D

My mom & I sewed the veil ourselves, and it was so much prettier than the plain ones I could otherwise afford. Tulle is cheap, and if you are handy with crafts, a veil is pretty simple. My Husband & I both wore metal crowns, and they were $20-30 ish each.

Edited by lcelmer

Mine was $700 iirc, 1999. I had some alterations but don't remember the cost- I don't remember it being terribly significant though. I'll have to ask mom the total cost of the wedding I'd guess $5k or less. We just used a church(free) and their reception hall, made all our food(finger foods) and had friends do pic's and cake. I actually regretted that I spent that much as I'm generally pretty frugal and that was by far the most expensive thing bought.

My mom made my dress - it was amazing but cost lest than $150 for materials. The best part - the only lace I could find that I *loved* was $500/yd. Obviously that was a no-go. It was a beautful beaded Belgium lace. We bought a similar copy with no beading and my mother hand beaded it. I can't even tell you the hours she spend on that lace - it was perfect. (Getting a little teary-eyed here!)

My girls and I have been watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and I can't get over the price of these dresses. My dress was about $300 and alterations were another $200. I think my whole catered wedding was less than some of these dresses.

So, how much was your dress? Did you pay for it or did your parents? One girl's fiancee was paying for the whole wedding. The dress she wanted was something like $15,000 dollars but he'd only budgeted $10,000! She got the dress she wanted anyway. LOL

Mine was $385 in 1989, no alterations. When I got remarried, I was a broke college student, so used the same dress but remade the sleeves and part of the lace overlay (I worked in alterations in college) so it would look like a different dress and wouldn't cost anything extra.

$65. It was a white sundress with satin rosettes that I found when I was 18 and bought just in case I ever decided to get married - I always knew if I got married it would be a beach wedding. I kept it in my closet for 6 years and never wore it, until dh and I got hitched. :)

Oh, and a friend did the alterations for free as our wedding gift.