Menu

A shout out to awesome MILs

It's so common to hear all these horror stories about mother in laws from :glare: -- well you get the idea. These posts really got me appreciating my mother in law.

My mother in law lives with us for a couple months out of every year and I find myself looking more and more forward to her time with us each year. I am so blessed with an amazingly non-intrusive yet oh-so helpful MIL that I wanted to give a shout out to all the positive MILs out there.

Do you have a mother in law you are thankful for and get along with fabulously?

I actually get along really well with my mil! In the next couple of years she's probably going to move in with us, but I'm looking forward to having her around more. She lived with us for 3 months when she was in pt after surgery so I think it will be good for all of us. :)

I'm very thankful for mine. She has her ridiculous moments, but she's very independent, she keeps her judgments to herself, she's funny and fun to be around, and she raised three boys alone, in near poverty, in a bad section of the city, and she turned them all into really good men when so many of their peers were going in undesirable directions :( For that alone, I have to admire her greatly. The rest is icing :D

raising my hand. My MIL is nice. She's supportive of us even when we're different. She's just a nice person.

she likes people. She does good stuff for others. Her grandchildren aren't sure which one is the favorite. ;) She gives nice hugs, has good stuff to say.

and she gets good wine for holiday meals!

and, when we visit from out of state, she usually offers me a relaxing shoulder rub just because "being a mom is a hard job. and she thinks I need a moment to relax."

-crystal

It's so common to hear all these horror stories about mother in laws from :glare: -- well you get the idea. These posts really got me appreciating my mother in law.

My mother in law lives with us for a couple months out of every year and I find myself looking more and more forward to her time with us each year. I am so blessed with an amazingly non-intrusive yet oh-so helpful MIL that I wanted to give a shout out to all the positive MILs out there.

Do you have a mother in law you are thankful for and get along with fabulously?

I got the jackpot in the MIL draw. She is a wonderful lady. She is the perfect blend of attentiveness and restraint. She is completely no-drama. Nothing ruffles her. I have not had any crossed signals with her in the 20 years she's been a factor in my life, though I see her 3 or more times a week and she lives 7 miles away. :001_smile: Yay for wonderful MILs! I hope to be just like her when I am a MIL!

I live with my wonderful MIL. But she has stage 7 Alzheimer's, so our relationship has changed. I miss talking with her :crying:

:grouphug: My grandmother passed away in 2008 after suffering from Alzheimers for close to a decade. She and I had always been very close. I truly believe the surrounding family suffers more than those with the disease. It's so immensely tough seeing someone go through that and not being able to help. Your comment brought tears to my eyes. It's sad enough that our loved ones lose their precious memories but luckily for them- they don't know it. We do. We feel the lose.

I feel for you. :grouphug::grouphug:

My MIL is an independent, hands-off, non-judgmental kind of lady. Plus, she's an ER doc and has been so ridiculously helpful to me through the years with three kids and all their bumps and maladies. DS8's racing heartbeat with his first high fever as a baby? She was there, a continent away, giving me great advice over the phone. DD getting a scary (migrating!) rash with undiagnosed pneumonia? She was all over that being her usual calm self. DH and a thryoid cancer scare? Made me feel better in 5 seconds flat. DS5 throwing up after hitting his head in the bathtub? Check. I should really send her a thank-you card and a Starbucks gift certificate for all the free advice and meds she's given me over the years. :lol: When she's not doling out free advice to me, she's spending several months a year working at a missionary hospital in Africa.

As if that's not enough, she shops Goodwill, estate sales, and garage sales and buys me lots of books for homeschooling. I get new (vintage) Landmarks from her all the time. Oh, and she homeschooled DH's younger sister and says all the time how glad she is that we're homeschooling.

The kids love her and her house too. She's got 100 acres with a pool and horses. What's not to love? :tongue_smilie:

I love my MIL. She's not perfect, but then, neither am I. ;) She's got a strong, take-charge personality, and while sometimes it can be difficult to stand up for what *I* want in the face of that, she's usually great about respecting it when I do. And it's REALLY nice to know that I've got someone I can call on to go to bat for me (or for my family) when I need help (or when I need some more backbone!). She watches my kids a lot, is always willing to help out when I need something. She's great about respecting parenting boundaries, too. And she's fun to hang out and chat with. :001_smile:

My MIL got along until I had my oldest child almost 8 years ago. She freaked out (and called my mother!) that we had a midwife, she and FIL hated our parenting decisions in general, etc. We had a few very, very rough years.

That said, my oldest was her first grandchild. My parents had the experience of having several older grandkids from my other siblings and were better at holding their tongues.

We lived many hours away from MIL/FIL for a few years, and about 2 years ago moved back to within about an hour from them.

Our relationship in recent years has really healed. They have learned when to hold their opinions, I've learned to relax and offer bean dip ;)

Things are much, much improved and I'm glad they are in our lives. I just thought I'd offer hope that sometimes it is possible to work through these things. I'm so thankful our relationship has healed over time.

I have wonderful in laws! I am especially close to my MIL. She is a wonderful, loving person; my second mom and my dear friend. The only catch is, when we visit them in Green Bay we have to root for the Packers . . . even if Da Bears are playing . . .:D

My MIL was a wonderful second mom to me and considered me her daughter. In fact, I was her daughter-in-Love as she used to call me for 17 years before she went home to be with her Lord and Savior. I miss her and hope someday to be a wonderful MIL too.

Aw! That made me :crying:!

I am an only child and lost my parents when I was very young. My MIL and FIL are incredible and I could not have dreamed up such great substitute parents. They live just 20 minutes away, but are very unintrusive.

They took the kids this past Friday night so that dh and I could attend his work Christmas party. They also took our Golden Retriever and told dh and I that they would keep everyone until the Bronco game this afternoon so that dh and I could have "couple time" together for the weekend.

They said their in-laws did this for them and that it one of the main reasons they will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next year!:D

When they brought the kids and dog home, they also brought all the fixings for tacos and margs. for during the game.

My inlaws are the BEST!!!

I love my MIL too. She is the sweetest and has always loved me. So much space in her heart. Have just met myndd's MIL to be and she is sweet and easy-going and I look forward to sharing our lives with her. So I guess that makes me a MIL in the works....I suspect I might seem like a busy- body so I have to be extra careful as I am a bit bossy. I love my SIL to be though and look forward to this stage ( since I have no other option, right??! ).

My MIL is great! She had over 20 years of experience being a MIL before dh and I married, so she had the basics down really well. We have in common the fact that we both love dh so much - even when things are difficult. Maybe especially when things are difficult. Besides, you can say things pretty directly to her (if you pick the right time) and she hears you. Without guilt, pressure, or interference. I love that! I wish the girls could know her better instead of seeing her only once or twice a year.

Mama Anna