Menu

When you have a party...

...do you worry that no one will come?

I swear, every time I find myself right back in teenage insecurity, picturing how humiliating it would be to be in a clean, decorated house full of food all.by.ourselves. Or, worse yet, all by ourselves except for a tiny number of people who are horrified and embarrassed to discover that they are our only friends.

This has never happened, but I always worry about it. We're having our housewarming party in four hours, and I am a twitchy wreck.

Yep...I think it goes back to when I turned 6 or 7. My mom invited 2 neighbor girls to my birthday. I played with them often and had gone to their birthday parties. Neither girl showed up and they were the only 2 she had invited. I was heartbroken! I swear I almost have an anxiety attack whenever I throw a birthday party for one of my kids. My husband thinks I'm crazy. Bday parties for my kids are the only parties I throw. They've always turned out great and I'm sure yours will as well.

I hope you all have a wonderful time. :grouphug:

Yes, I worry. Once no one really did show up--the threatening snowstorm that I had been in denial about all that day was really kicking in right when the party was supposed to start--but my house was sparkly, my children had been denied naps and/or run hard so they would be ready for bed early, and I had great music playing, candles lit and some really good food to nosh on. DH was home. It was kind of fun, actually.

Hope you have a great party. I'd love to go to a party tonight!

This happened to my mom for her housewarming a couple months ago. She invited me and five friends. Things came up for everyone else and it ended up just me and her. I felt bad, but it turned into a nice mother/daughter night.

Plus, there were only two of us drinking the wine. The less the merrier!

Yes--and it has happened, sort of! Years ago I invited about 5-6 coworkers over to hang out and have drinks while my husband was out of town. The hour came and went and nobody came! Then my husband came home about 9 that night, unexpectedly. I ended up being relieved nobody came, but worried that someone would come late and that it would be very awkward. Luckily nobody came at all.

Yup. Every single time. It did happen to me once. My ds11's, 2nd or 3rd birthday. Family came, but all his little friends didn't. I invited 5. I was bummed. He didn't care, of course. And, obviously it wasn't that big a deal because now I can't remember which year it was! :)

We are having an open house a week from today. Because it's an open house, I don't have RSVPs. I always worry that no one will come. It's never happened, but maybe this year is the year! I'm always a nervous wreck right before until at least one person shows up!

Have a great housewarming!

Yup--I worry.

I had a big birthday bash when dh turned 40. I invited about 80 people. Had it in a big church hall, to fit everyone. Decorated a bunch of tables. About 30 actually showed up. I had a TON of food left over. It was kind of embarrassing, but at least 30 showed up--that's a pretty big number, right?

The next time we had a birthday thing (for me), I didn't invite as many people and had it at my house, so that the smaller amount of people would look bigger squished in my tiny house, rather than only 10 people rattling around in a big church hall.

So far I am SOOO GLAD that my son's birthday parties have always had a lot of guests showing up. The kids would be devastated if their friends didn't show.

Yep, every time we have a gathering. It's why I don't have parties, and especially never those candle/purses/tupperware, etc type of parties.

We've generally been good for the children birthday parties, but it's always a nagging fear for my boys not to have anyone show....how hurtful....it's why I always try to go to every birthday party we are ever invited to.

I'm so crazy, I worry about others too in this aspect. More than once, a HS mom on a local forum group has announced " a mom gathering"...for example, there is a Christmas one this week...but she didn't really ask for RSVP's....I wonder how many people show.

Everytime.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend. He said he always expected to be invited or to have people excited about coming to his gatherings. I, on the other hand, always stress about whether I'll be invited or whether people will come to my parties.

I wonder if birth order has anything to do with it. I'm a first born and he is the baby of his family.

Hope your open house is a smashing success!

Yup. Happened once when I was a kid, and I've been paranoid about it every since. I rarely throw parties because of it. Fortunately we are good friends with 2 families with 3 kids each who are pretty reliable, so even if they are the only ones who show up on the rare occasions we do throw a party, it still feels like a decent turnout. :tongue_smilie:

I hope your party is a great success! :grouphug:

People came! :D We had about two dozen adults and a bunch of kids. Everything was crazy and hectic and I was constantly running around until near the end, but I enjoyed myself and the guests seemed to as well. I got a lot of compliments on the food, so that made me feel good. And everyone had nice things to say about our new house.

Is it weird for a socially anxious person to like entertaining? I do love the part where people are actually here. It's just the anticipation that makes me nervous.

Yep. A friend threw a party for me in HS and no one showed up. I've been nervous ever since and go out of my way to invite lots of people.

Ditto - except it was my parents throwing the party and 1 friend showed up (thank goodness for that, anyway!) - we sat and waited... waited... waited... it was SO embarrassing and will stay with me forever! :( :(

Congrats!

Most of our parties are not well attended. Heck, our wedding wasn't well attended. Fortunately, I know a few large families and if one of them shows up (and one of them almost always does), it's crazy even if they are the only ones to come.