Menu

Our dog is missing. :(

I was gone for about an hour yesterday and the dog wanted to stay outside so I let her... and she's gone! The gates were closed. There is no escape route under the fence. It's possible she jumped the fence (she has before) but there were no tell-tale muddy foot prints to lead me to think that's how she escaped....

We've checked our neighborhood and several surrounding ones as well. We've checked Craigs List and the animal shelter. What else can I do?

She is chipped. She's a purebred brindle boxer. Very sweet. The neighbors didn't notice anything and I asked everyone that was out walking when I got home (our neighborhood is on a 1-1/2 mile loop) and noone noticed her.... Everyone "knows" her because I walk her at least twice/day.

The signs are a good plan. I'll do that when I get home from DS's MRI today.

In our area we have had several dog nappings from yards. They recommended if your pure breed dog was "missing" from your yard to fax/email your dog's description to every animal shelter in a 100 mile radius. Some "wonderful" people who claim they rescue or just don't want anymore were trying to sell the dogs for money to unknowning families. Also, call and email/fax the vets in your area.

Good luck and I hope the dog finds it way home.

In our area we have had several dog nappings from yards. They recommended if your pure breed dog was "missing" from your yard to fax/email your dog's description to every animal shelter in a 100 mile radius. Some "wonderful" people who claim they rescue or just don't want anymore were trying to sell the dogs for money to unknowning families. Also, call and email/fax the vets in your area.

I hadn't thought about someone actually "liberating" her from our yard! I just assumed she got out somehow (she's done it before) and took off. Dang!

Call shelters, vets, any local rescues. Our area has a lost dog fb page. I saw a great tip. Use window markers to write on your car windows all the info and tape a picture to the inside. Also, start checking for sale ads from your area and beyond. If someone stole her, it was likely because they will resale her. Call the microchip company and make sure your info is accurate.

We had people down the street from us take a dog from another persons yard and call it a fathers day gift for themselves. Luckily, I was able to figure out the story and got the police involved. The dog then got back to its rightful family safely. Unfortunately some people do really weird things like this. I would put up as many posters as you can and for sure contact area vets. Maybe even put up something on Craigslist. I really hope it works out soon.

Lesley

Someone in our area lost their dog recently and hired a dog tracker. The dog was found, but it took a few days. I think they used trained dogs to follow the scent. Would there be a service like that in your area? I have no idea how expensive that option might be, but it's something to consider.

Hope she makes it home soon!

I lost my good old heart love of my life dog a few years ago-she apparently went out chasing gophers and got lost. I called and called, honked the horn, paced the hills (we're in the country) and whistled and put up signs, everything. She is :) a shy not friendly dog... but I had up the signs and talked to people. On the morning of the seventh day I told myself this is it-I can't keep looking all day. I drove out to the usual places I suspected and I SCREAMED for her, at the top of my lungs, ugly scary yelling her name. As loud as I could so much it hurt. I prayed and cried and yelled. nothing... I drove home slowly, crying, thinking how I would tell the kids that someone else must have taken her to be their dog... on the way home I saw some deer spooked out of the brush that was weird so I stopped and called some more but nothing... back home I went, tucked away my tears and went to the house and my then 9 year old son met me on the back porch. He asked if I found her and I went into my "some other family must have taken her" spiel and then he opened the back porch door and there she was. OMG I screamed-so loud it scared my poor son to death-fell on the floor hugging that dog, she was so skinny and hungry. She'd been hiding the whole time. I must have finally yelled loud enough that she found her way home.

Keep looking-yell really really loud. look everywhere.

My dog, who is now 13, ran away years ago and was missing for 5 days. I was very upset, because he'd just had a bath and I hadn't put his collar back on. But we put signs up with his description everywhere, dh put them up much farther away than I would have. And on the 5th day, a lady who lived 20 minutes away called and said she had seen our signs while out walking the dog with her son. Turns out, while I had been crying every night, so worried about my dog, he had been living it up with this family who loved him- my dog slept on the foot of their son's bed every night. The poor kid was sad to give the dog back, and I was so grateful that they did.

So definitely put up a lot of signs. I'm hoping your dog will find her way back to you very soon! :grouphug:

I hadn't thought about someone actually "liberating" her from our yard! I just assumed she got out somehow (she's done it before) and took off. Dang!

Keep an eye out for an unpapered Boxer in the Little Nickle, etc.

I'm sorry. Cute boxers are worth money.

Your kids must be sick about it.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! We put up flyers yesterday in about a 20 minute radius from our home. I went to several nearby vet clinics as well as the animal shelter. I've checked Craigslist. I need to check the Little Nickel (thanks kalanak). The kids and I walked around shaking a box of biscuits and calling for her but to no avail. We will do the same again today. It's so sad.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! We put up flyers yesterday in about a 20 minute radius from our home. I went to several nearby vet clinics as well as the animal shelter. I've checked Craigslist. I need to check the Little Nickel (thanks kalanak). The kids and I walked around shaking a box of biscuits and calling for her but to no avail. We will do the same again today. It's so sad.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry. I hope have better luck today.

Hoping you find her.

A college kid took my brother's dog out of their backyard. They got him back a year later when the guy's girlfriend got pissed off at him. She returned Rocky to the front door and let them know what happened.

I think I'd put a WTB ad for your dog on CL.

I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...