Menu

My kids want a fluffy white puppy for Christmas

They have been asking me FOREVER for a dog and now that I am single and living here alone without my ex-dh I think now would be a good time. I just don't know what kind of dog to get or where to get it from. Here is what I am hoping to find:

Fluffy White Puppy - Not an adult dog

Not too big - Small-Medium size

Easy to train

Not too messy (tons of fur all over the place)

Not to much upkeep (nothing that has to be professionally groomed every week)

Not too hyper

A dog that will be able to go on runs with me. (up to 3 miles)

VERY kid friendly

Any suggestions?

Well, NOT a great dane them! :lol:

Just so you know, ALL puppies are hyper. We get 1 year old dogs because they are already housebroken typically and are far less hyper within about a year. Plus they have usually already had their puppy shots and have been neutered or spayed, all which cost quite a bit.

One breed I would suggest (although it is not pure white) is a Corgi. We had a Corgi in the past and he was the BEST dog. I wish we had gotten a Corgi this time around but we have two lab mixes. They are ok.

Dawn

Well, I absolutely fell in love with the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier... kinda off white sometimes as a puppy :) The good thing is that they don't shed, really, it's the hair instead of fur thing.... Bichon Frise would be good, too :) Poodles are good :) You can get all white with those... Maltese?? ;) I really think that for someone that shedding is important... one should REALLY stick with the hair dogs :) I like Lagotto as well as the other one I would look at is.... (if you don't have a problem with it...) A labrador/Aussie mix is one that my friend had. I LOVE my dog, but will stick with the "no fur" dogs from now on.... I am SICK of the fur all over :(

As far as training.... that's a big deal and has made all the difference.... I need to do more, but the little I did when we got him has really helped... ;)

You're going to have to balance out some of your requirements. Small dog doesn't necessarily mean a dog that can jog three miles with you.

Easy to train doesn't always come with not too hyper.

Very kid friendly and small are two different things sometimes.

Pick your top requirement and then your top three of that list and let's reconvene. :)

Honestly it sounds like you just want a nice family dog on the smaller side-check your shelter first!

Also, fluffy usually = hair all over the place and sometimes even needs regular grooming.

Others will disagree, but in my world, a pitbull mix from the pound, properly raised from puppyhood can fulfill whatever requirements you might have.

Well, except for the fluffy part (and you wouldn't get pure white; they're often blind/deaf).

But properly raised and trained consistently with boundaries, you cannot even imagine a better family pet.

They have been asking me FOREVER for a dog and now that I am single and living here alone without my ex-dh I think now would be a good time. I just don't know what kind of dog to get or where to get it from. Here is what I am hoping to find:

Easy to train

Not too hyper

VERY kid friendly

Any suggestions?

American Eskimo (the one in my sig is a 5 month old miniature) fits your list, minus the hyper (think border collie on speed) and fur (they shed--a lot, but they don't need to be professionally groomed.).

Before Jed, we had two standard Eskies. They are the best dog. Loving, loyal, fun, playful, FLUFFY!, and super kid friendly.

We have a cavachon....seriously adorable and a GREAT dog. I'm not sure he could go on runs with you though. I also love shih tzus. Neither are all white and do require grooming (every 2 months or so). They do shed some, but nothing like a lab or large dog would. I know someone who has a morkie (Maltese & Yorkie) that they love too, but again, not white, and too little to go for runs.

I grew up with a bichon......I miss him.

We have a Maltese that is a white fluffy furball weighing in at just under 6 pounds. He goes 2 miles with me running/walking. He LOVES his walks and spins in circles when he sees the leash. He is a great family dog.

Needs groomed every 4-6 weeks with occasional brushing in between. I would call him a non-shedder. Our new boxer is worse than the Maltese.

They are notoriously hard to potty train, but he is actually a rather smart little thing. He is extremely submissive and will go stand by the door, but won't bark or scratch. I've heard that about other Maltese dogs, too.

Very, very, very attached to his family (me, in particular.). At home, he will spend 100% of his time in my lap. They are well known for getting people attached. He gets separation anxiety when his world changes. When we moved, his potty training regressed. He took the move harder than my kids. When we go out of town, we leave him with family. He does fine. He would not do fine at a boarding kennel.

Edited by snickelfritz

I would get a poodle. I have had poodles for years and they are great dogs. Right now, we have a white standard and he is great. I have also enjoyed toys and miniatures. They are great dogs! You would need to get them groomed regularly, but not weekly.

Suzanne

:iagree:

We had a poodle/terrier mix when I was a kid who was great size--not toy, maybe a miniature, I guess. He didn't shed--we would just sometimes find a little curl of hair here and there. And we didn't really groom him so he was a cute shaggy little thing, not all gussied up like the stereotypical poodles.

Standard Poodle. They're just not that big. They are on the high end of medium sized, and more athletic than the other breeds mentioned so far (They are often bred to be retrievers.).

They will need some grooming, but the lack of shedding would probably make up for that.

I would definitely go bigger before going with a dog that sheds. Trust me on this. I have a Siberian Husky and a German Shepherd. Both are double coated breeds. A double coated breed (like the Eskie or Samoyed) always sheds way way way more than anyone ever anticipates.

Edited by darlasowders

Standard Poodle. They're just not that big. They are on the high end of medium sized, and more athletic than the other breeds mentioned so far (They are often bred to be retrievers.).

:iagree:

Standards are awesome. They meet most of your requirements:

• Fluffy, wonderful, non-smelly, non-shedding fur.
  • Great with kids.
  • House-train very quickly (faster than any other dog I've had).
  • Very smart and easy to train.
  • Most are medium sized dogs (Females are smaller than males and meet the parents to get an idea of size.)

The bads:

• They can be a bit hyper, but nothing like the little poodles. And if you take the dog on regular 3 mile runs that will take care of most of the hyper in any dog (except puppies, of course).
  • They do need to be groomed, but that is certainly not weekly. We get away with every 7-8 weeks, with occasional touch-ups.

We have two Standards and they are the best dogs I've ever owned. I would never consider any other type of dog again.

Dogs with hair don't shed, but they need grooming. If you do not brush them daily, you will need to have them clipped. Their hair doesn't shed as other dogs; it falls out just as ours does. Imagine not brushing a child's hair. The hair that is falling out tangles with the rest into a rats nest. The same will happen with the dog.

It boils down to a dog with fur that sheds, or a dog with hair that will need a brushing once a day (or periodic clipping). Dogs with hair are a bit more hypoallergenic, so that could be a plus.

Bichons are sweet. I was owned by one many years ago. I have a schnoodle at the moment which is a poodle/schnauzer. She has the sweetest disposition. She has the best of both breeds without the negatives. I get her professionally clipped (which is adorable by the way) about four times a year. It costs on average $30-35.

Easy to train

Not too hyper

VERY kid friendly

Any suggestions?

Our toy fox terrier that we've had for all of about 2 months now is the only dog I've ever owned, but we think she's pretty fabulous. TFTs have white bodies, but colored heads (tan, black, or mixed) and often a few spots on the body. They have short smooth fur, and are not "fluffy", but have big eyes and ears and are super cute little bitty pups. They do shed, but not excessively (in my opinion) and it's just little short fur like long eyelashes. Brushing helps with the shedding, and a bath now and then keeps her smelling fresh. Other than that the only grooming she needs is nail-clipping. They're very small dogs, about 4-7 pounds full grown--sort of cat-sized. Ours is currently about 2 pounds at 16 weeks old. TFTs are very trainable, sometimes used as circus dogs, and so far she's been very easy to train as long as I can get the whole family to be consistent with the rules (not always easy...lol). Already she will sit, and down, and fetch pretty consistently, and dd is teaching her to "high five". Toilet training is going pretty well now that I've finally convinced dh (grr) that she MUST be crated when not supervised until she's reliable, and not just left loose in the exercise pen. But she took to the crate quickly and happily. She has been wonderful with both kids, all the little neighbors that pass through, and random children on the street, and will happily let them hold her at awkward angles, wrap her in blankets, dress her up, play with her ears and tug on her tail without getting irritable (I think this is largely due to good socialization at an early age, and partly just her personality). She loves to play, but is just as happy to curl up in a lap for a snuggle (actually she's in my lap right now, as I type). She can get a good hyper burst going now and then, especially if she's been by herself for a while and one of her people shows up, but she is learning not to jump up on people (not helped by dh, who thinks the jumping is cute...sigh) and to ask to be picked up by sitting quietly and looking adorable. She gets less hyper if she gets more exercise, but will exercise herself chasing toys around her pen if nobody wants to walk her. I'm not a jogger, but she loves to go for walks. I don't think I've gone more than a mile or a mile and a half with her yet, but we go home because I'm cold, not because she's tired, and she'd be thrilled if we would keep going. Also she thinks I'm a slow poke, so I imagine she'd be a good little jogging buddy over reasonable distances when she gets bigger. All in all, I think its a great breed for a family. I'd be careful with toddlers, but it looks like your kids are all old enough to know how to be gentle.

Easy to train

Not too hyper

VERY kid friendly

Any suggestions?

We have a Shih Tzu/Maltese mix that we acquired as a puppy from a rescue organization in March. We just plugged into petfinder.com the breeds we were looking for and our zip code and it gave us options within a 100 mile radius. He fits all criteria *except* easy to train. Shih Tzus are notoriously difficult to potty train and apparently he knows about that :001_smile:. He is a sweet, sweet dog.

Here's our guy. He has one blue eye and one brown eye, which is why you're seeing the red-eye in the photo.

post-7258-13535085811889_thumb.jpg

post-7258-13535085811889_thumb.jpg

My $.02...wrap up some generic (not gender or size-specific) dog stuff for Christmas for the kids to open, then make it a family effort afterward to find the perfect rescue dog. Find a reputable rescue organization in your area--a good rescue will help you find the right dog, and I bet your parameters (e.g., the requirement that the dog be white, fluffy, and a puppy) might get a bit more flexible when you find the dog that temperament-wise (good with kids, wants to run with you, etc.) is the perfect fit for your family!

I'd be very, very careful buying a dog, especially this time of year. You're going to run into a lot of puppy mill and/or not entirely responsible backyard breeders. If you're going to buy a dog, start putting feelers out and find a reputable breeder looking to find homes for pet-quality pups from a litter. I know there are plenty of responsible "backyard" breeders out there, but for every good one there are many more that aren't so scrupulous. Be especially careful if looking at any of the "designer" breeds for this reason. There are folks out there interested in breeding healthy pups and placing them in good homes, no matter what the breed or cross--and then there are those just breeding because they thought their two dogs would "make cute puppies" or are just out to make a buck. :confused:

I've had rescue pit bulls/bully breeds my entire adult life. So as you can imagine, I've seen far, far too many sad examples of what happens when someone who doesn't care or who just wants to make $$ decides to let their dogs have puppies, and I may be a bit sensitive on the subject. Obviously, while not at all against responsible breeding, I am biased toward rescue. ;) But I've also had a lot of exposure to the purebred dog show world (family members and friends that have been some of the top breeders of their respective breeds), as well as known some folks who breed ocassionally but not for show. There are good folks out there who really care about their dogs and where their pups go. Just do your homework!

Good luck! :D

Threads such as this give me puppy fever. :drool:

Must resist!:glare:

:lol: Seriously!! We recently lost one of our three dogs to cancer. While I know that two is the right number of dogs for us right now, sometimes I can't help but be tempted!

My husband is no help. He is on Petfinder all. the. time. :glare:

Thank you everyone!!!

I have learned a lot and am LOVING all the cute puppy pictures I am seeing. I think I am going to plan to have the kids do a fun little treasure hunt on Christmas Eve and wrap up a bone. Then we will look into getting our puppy in Jan. or Feb.

I really like those Bichon Frise pups. How is the grooming on them? Also, anyone know how much they cost on average? (The good family dog kind, not the show dog kind)

Michelle

I just have to mention the Lhasa Apso. You can find white-ish Lhasas. Our Lhasa is more of a rust color. He weighs about 15lbs at 2 1/2yo. He is a small dog, but not delicate or yippy. He totally dominates our 80lb Lab. While he doesn't shed, he does need regular grooming. You can brush daily or clip him about once a month. He is the sweetest, silliest little bugger. Lhasas were bred to guard Buddist monestaries, so no one will come near your house without you being aware of their presence. While researching Lhasas, I read that every Lhasa sees a lion when they look in the mirror. I can totally confirm this. Here are a couple of pics of my Lhasa.

post-6721-13535085815261_thumb.jpg

post-6721-13535085815678_thumb.jpg

How about this? Fluffy and white' date=' in places, but definitely not a big shedder. :lol:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.littlepawz.com/dog_images/c_hairless.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.littlepawz.com/c_hairless.html&h=260&w=288&sz=41&tbnid=82SnOa4aITTacM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=94&zoom=1&docid=7NWpZS9-4cGKDM&sa=X&ei=hb7YTrDWPIHLtgf6zd3sAQ&ved=0CEwQ9QEwCA&dur=38[/quote']

Bit of a rabbit trail here, but I was reading the source page for that picture, and found that some of the pups in each Chinese Crested litter have fur. They call them Powder Puffs. Take a look at the second pic on this page

The Powder Puffs are not kept in the breeding pool, so they might be easy to get from breeders. I had a red German Shepard once that the breeder was giving away because he didn't meet conformation. Maybe he couldn't be a show dog, but he was a beautiful boy and an awesome pet.

Bit of a rabbit trail here, but I was reading the source page for that picture, and found that some of the pups in each Chinese Crested litter have fur. They call them Powder Puffs. Take a look at the second pic on this page

The Powder Puffs are not kept in the breeding pool, so they might be easy to get from breeders. I had a red German Shepard once that the breeder was giving away because he didn't meet conformation. Maybe he couldn't be a show dog, but he was a beautiful boy and an awesome pet.

I have a friend who used to breed Chinese Cresteds, and she still has a few of her retired dogs. She has two powder puffs--they are cute, white and fluffy, and are really, really sweet dogs!! The hairless two she has are really awesome, too, just not so fluffy. :D None of them would run 3 miles, though. They are lap dogs, through and through!

To the OP on show breeder vs non-show breeder: don't count out the show breeders because you want a pet. Like Joules just pointed out, you can get pet-quality pups from show breeders. Actually, out of every litter, many of the puppies are going to be pet quality. A good breeder will be interested in finding great homes for the pets born in every litter.

Oh that power puff is so beautiful!!! :001_smile:

ETA: I posted the pic I did purely for humor. lol IMO the best place to get a dog is from a shelter, rescue group ... I agree with the others who said that it might be better to pick one or two definitely wanted traits, and then be more flexible on the rest. The right temperament and the ability to run would be more important to me than the physical attributes. But fluffy white puppies are adorable! : ) OP your children will be ecstatic finding that hidden bone!!! : ) Enjoy the search for the right dog for your family.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I have a friend who used to breed Chinese Cresteds, and she still has a few of her retired dogs. She has two powder puffs--they are cute, white and fluffy, and are really, really sweet dogs!! The hairless two she has are really awesome, too, just not so fluffy. :D None of them would run 3 miles, though. They are lap dogs, through and through!

I was so fascinated by the Powder Puffs that I forgot about the 3 miles. That would rule them out. I'm just :lol: imagining the poor little thing trying to keep up! Of course I still think the Standard Poodle is the best bet. They have even run the Iditarod :D

To the OP on show breeder vs non-show breeder: don't count out the show breeders because you want a pet. Like Joules just pointed out, you can get pet-quality pups from show breeders. Actually, out of every litter, many of the puppies are going to be pet quality. A good breeder will be interested in finding great homes for the pets born in every litter.

Both of my Standards came from show breeders, also. These breeders are pretty serious about the "good home" part. I've actually felt like I was in a job interview as they ask questions about the pup's potential home. Rescue organizations tend to be the same way. (Worry about sellers who just want to see the money!)

That was my dd's request for Christmas as well. We researched tons of small dog breeds and talked to people and narrowed down our list to Bishon/bishon mix or poodle/poodle mix.

Currently sitting next to me is our 15 week old black and white miniature poodle puppy. She wanted a lapdog she could carry. She is really sweeet, not hyper, smart and fun.

Have fun shopping and ask for breeder recommendations of dogs you meet that you like.

We also have a Portuguese Water Dog who we love that is 7. He has been a great dog as well. Very easy to train, smart, loveable. He isn't small though, he's huge for a PWD. I wanted another but dd wanted lapdog.

How about this? Fluffy and white' date=' in places, but definitely not a big shedder. :lol:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.littlepawz.com/dog_images/c_hairless.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.littlepawz.com/c_hairless.html&h=260&w=288&sz=41&tbnid=82SnOa4aITTacM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=94&zoom=1&docid=7NWpZS9-4cGKDM&sa=X&ei=hb7YTrDWPIHLtgf6zd3sAQ&ved=0CEwQ9QEwCA&dur=38[/quote']

Ahhhhh! No I uh...... I hmm.... I am sure someone would love this one.:lol:

I am really surprised about the "3 mile run" part and the suggestions given for the most part.

Anyway, I was thinking an Aussie might be a really good choice. They are medium dogs you can do almost all grooming on and they most certainly can make it 3 miles a few times per year. Pick your color. They are beyond intelligent. They will have energy, but you have kids and a regular run to help considerably.

Anyway, an Aussie is one of the top breeds for us. I like the Standard Poodle. We are looking at a few others, but we are interested in large dogs where you'd prefer to go smaller.

HTHs a little,

I am really surprised about the "3 mile run" part and the suggestions given for the most part.

HTHs a little,

Well, I was one that said our Maltese goes 2 miles with me. But he doesn't need it to be calm.

Here's the thing about a dog: Do you go, daily, 3 miles? Rain or shine? Hot or cold? Mostly every day, 3 miles. Or do you run, frequently...up to 3 miles, but often 1? Or do you run a couple of times a week, up to 3 miles? Or work up to 3 miles in spring and summer, but do a treadmill in winter? A dog that needs 3 miles and gets it in good weather, but not in bad weather or on days you are busy....they will get in big trouble.

High energy dogs would have their energy lowered by a daily 3 mile run. But its hard to get a low energy dog, who doesn't need a 3 mile run, but can keep up.

Well, I was one that said our Maltese goes 2 miles with me. But he doesn't need it to be calm.

Here's the thing about a dog: Do you go, daily, 3 miles? Rain or shine? Hot or cold? Mostly every day, 3 miles. Or do you run, frequently...up to 3 miles, but often 1? Or do you run a couple of times a week, up to 3 miles? Or work up to 3 miles in spring and summer, but do a treadmill in winter? A dog that needs 3 miles and gets it in good weather, but not in bad weather or on days you are busy....they will get in big trouble.

High energy dogs would have their energy lowered by a daily 3 mile run. But its hard to get a low energy dog, who doesn't need a 3 mile run, but can keep up.

I run 3x a week at 3 miles but I do not go out in the rain or cold. I use a treadmill at the YMCA in the winter. The dog would get walks (not runs) by the kids or me on those types of days.

I run 3x a week at 3 miles but I do not go out in the rain or cold. I use a treadmill at the YMCA in the winter. The dog would get walks (not runs) by the kids or me on those types of days.

Ok.....do you have a fenced yard? Is it big enough to throw the ball and have the dog run? Our boxer does fine with just our smallish yard. I get on one end and throw the ball, he runs full-out to chase it. This is fine until he's leash trained enough to go on walks.

How long do you expect the walks to be on off days? Short potty walks or a mile at a time?

I think I would lower your running expectations for this dog. Many dogs (including my Maltese) could run part of that with you, some of the time. But, he's also 1 1/2 and a teenager in doggie world and I run SLOW.

But high energy dogs that could consistently be expected to run 3 miles are going to get in BIG trouble without proper exercise. And lots of it.

I do think the breeds you are mentioning (Westies, Bichon, etc...) are going to be fine for everything you have described, except, the long distance running. And even then, a compromise, could get them out running smaller distances with you. And, maybe they could work up to 3 miles. I would expect age to slow them down out of that sooner. But, if that is VERY important to you (I wanted a boxer to run/walk with me, since I often go in the dark and they LOOK mean;)) then, you will need a bigger breed. And if you do, they will need additional, daily, VIGOROUS, exercise than your 3 day-per-week exercise regime.

Think about, on a daily basis, week-in and week-out, how much exercise can you get for this dog? THEN decide what breed will fit.

Edited by snickelfritz

Ok.....do you have a fenced yard? Is it big enough to throw the ball and have the dog run? YES Our boxer does fine with just our smallish yard. I get on one end and throw the ball, he runs full-out to chase it. This is fine until he's leash trained enough to go on walks.

How long do you expect the walks to be on off days? Short potty walks or a mile at a time? 1-2 miles except on bad weather days

I think I would lower your running expectations for this dog. Many dogs (including my Maltese) could run part of that with you, some of the time. But, he's also 1 1/2 and a teenager in doggie world and I run SLOW. Yes, I think I am going to have to do that.

But high energy dogs that could consistently be expected to run 3 miles are going to get in BIG trouble without proper exercise. And lots of it. Yes, I don't want too high energy because sometimes we like to be hermits. I guess, I would like a dog that can run, but it is not a requirement. My biggest must haves are: A dog who likes walks, is fluffy white, great with kids and easy to take care of including easy to train.

I do think the breeds you are mentioning (Westies, Bichon, etc...) are going to be fine for everything you have described, except, the long distance running. And even then, a compromise, could get them out running smaller distances with you. And, maybe they could work up to 3 miles. I would expect age to slow them down out of that sooner. But, if that is VERY important to you (I wanted a boxer to run/walk with me, since I often go in the dark and they LOOK mean;)) then, you will need a bigger breed. And if you do, they will need additional, daily, VIGOROUS, exercise than your 3 day-per-week exercise regime.

Think about, on a daily basis, week-in and week-out, how much exercise can you get for this dog? THEN decide what breed will fit.