Menu

My kids want a fluffy white puppy for Christmas

Well then poodle should be high on your list. The poodles I have had were not hyper but loved to go on walks. Very easy to train, very smart dogs. Grooming is easy if not exactly cheap. But I have been very pleasantly surprised by the much lower price I am paying here in Alabama. Oh, and neither of my two poodle or poodle mixes were annoying barkers. My white mini now, called Fluffy, only barks with doorbells or people at the door which I appreciate. ALso, he will bark once if we forgot him in a room to tell us he is locked out.My dog is older, 11 and has both a heart condition and arthritis but he still loves to play and take walks even with those issues. He is on medications that help him continue his normal lifestyle.

OK, let me tell you, I know fluffy white dogs!

Ours is a Bolognese. He does not shed at all. He is as sweet as sugar. He has the personality of your favorite teddy bear come to life. He loves to cuddle and be held. He adores children. He has a low play drive -- meaning, he will play with the kids, but he's very, very gentle. He sleeps (in the cutest positions!) about 23.5 hours a day. Everyone who sees him just wants to touch him, and he adores that.

Cons: He was very hard to get potty trained. It was like he was learning disabled in this department. He is prone to anxiety. This is not a daily thing. In fact, he's like a tonic for anxiety because he is normally so laid back and sleepy. But he doesn't travel well, and he doesn't make it easy for us to travel. And the big con: You've either got to groom him an hour a day or clip that beautiful fluff off once a month. Because he doesn't shed, you have to detangle the hairs carefully, and it's not something a child can manage alone.

Here's our fluffy white puppy's FB page:

ETA: Since you mentioned running, there's no way this dog would have the energy to be a running partner. He loves going on short walks, but we almost have to carry him home (not literally). And I'm sure you could build up his fitness if you made a program of it. But this dog was meant for cuddling, not jogging.

Edited by Cindyg

Looking at your list of breeds, I doubt very much if any of them could run 3 miles per day with you. Small dogs have short legs, and those poor little things would have to run flat out to keep up with you, and that's a lot to expect of a tiny dog that was bred to be a lap companion, not an athlete.

astrid

After Cindyg, I started wondering if Bolognese, Havanese, and Maltese (all small, fluffy, white dogs) were related.

Apparently, they are all types of Bichons. So, that why they share so many similar characteristics.

Here is a page that differentiates between their temperament:

http://www.bichonworld.com/temperment.html

ETA: We looked at Bichons when we got the Maltese. And my research has turned up poodles as a good match for our family. However, my dh has a rabid hatred of poodles. :). In fact, we had to get Cosmo, our Maltese, shaved when it was sooooo hot this summer. Dh's first, disgusted, response was that he looked like a poodle.

Here is a page that differentiates between their temperament:

http://www.bichonworld.com/temperment.html

I will agree with everything that article said about the Bolognese except that mine is a terrible traveler. (I have no way to know if mine is typical of the breed or not.) He gets car sick.

I wanted to add that the Bolgonese (at least mine) is not a girly-dog. He is fairly sturdy and hearty. Aside from his fluffiness (OK, and his sleepiness), he doesn't strike you as a froo-froo dog. He's not the kind of dog that you'd think of painting his toenails and putting bows in his hair. There's a boyishness and a "dogness" to ours. He's technically our son's dog, and our son is at that age where he's mortified at anything babyish or girlish; and he's not embarrassed to claim the dog. :)

They have been asking me FOREVER for a dog and now that I am single and living here alone without my ex-dh I think now would be a good time. I just don't know what kind of dog to get or where to get it from. Here is what I am hoping to find:

Fluffy White Puppy - Not an adult dog

Not too big - Small-Medium size

Easy to train

Not too messy (tons of fur all over the place)

Not to much upkeep (nothing that has to be professionally groomed every week)

Not too hyper

A dog that will be able to go on runs with me. (up to 3 miles)

VERY kid friendly

Any suggestions?

Well, I can give you some info about samoyeds, or sammies, as they're often called. They are THE white and fluffy dog. We used to have one. They meet some of your requirements, but not all.

1. White & Fluffy: No dog does "white & fluffy" like a Sammy. :)

2. Not too big: Sammies aren't small dogs, but they're not huge either. The females are usually 40-55 lbs. Males are bigger.

3. Easy to train: Sammies are very smart and can be difficult to train. They sometimes are a bit stubborn and have a mind of their own. It's very doable, though. Ours could do the basic sit, wait, lie down, etc. One issue is that, unlike a retriever that really wants to work FOR you, Sammies would rather work WITH you. I wouldn't call them "people pleasers".

4. Not too messy: Contrary to what you may think, Sammies are not that messy, except for 1-2 times per year when they blow their undercoats. Females usually do this twice and males once. It can last a couple of weeks.

5. Not too much upkeep: Well here's one of the lovely things about a Sammy. They don't have a dog smell. You can get away with bathing them twice a year. They just need to be brushed. Even if they roll in the mud, once it dries, you can just brush it all out. They should never be shaved or clipped....ever. Their grooming requires brushing, occasionally trimming the fur on their hocks and on the pads of their feet, and trimming their nails.

6. Not too hyper: I wouldn't say they're overly hyper, but they do have a good bit of energy. Maybe middle of the spectrum. That said, they have been bred as work dogs. They need a little something to do. They'll dig if they're outside and bored.

7. A dog can that can go on runs: Probably...I would think they have the energy to do that. I don't think they would appreciate running in high temperatures, though. Ours didn't like to go outside much in the summer. Now if it was below 30 outside, we couldn't get him to come inside! I see that you live in Ohio. A Sammy would love Ohio.

8. Very kid friendly: They're the best with kids. They're very friendly and not the least bit aggressive. They're terrible guard dogs because they'd just as soon go home with a burglar if they think he'll be more fun. :)

Sammies should be bought from a reputable breeder. They can be quite expensive. At the time (over 10 yrs ago), we paid $1000 for a show-quality dog. Pet-quality cost less.

We're looking at getting a bichon frise early next year. Usually when people say "bichon" they mean "bichon frise". Don know why they aren't called Frises, like the bichon maltese or bichon Havanese. :confused:

I agree the selection will be better then. Around here, backyard bred puppies run $300, and AKC puppies from better breeders run $700+.

There are great little videos on each breed on AnimalPlanet's website, google the breed name and "Dog101". Bichons are small yet sturdy -- some of the other small breeds can be a bit delicate for younger kids.

Even if you've had dogs before, I recommend making a study unit on dogs, training, breeds, etc. I've got quite the stack of books by Cesar Millan and Jon Katz (couldn't resist the title "Katz on Dogs" :lol: but I really like his no-nonsense approach). Both Cesar and (esp) Katz stress getting a dog is NOT a act of social activism. You need to pick between a shelter dog and a breeder's dog carefully. I would LOVE to be able to get a rescue dog, all the cats Ive ever owned were rescued, but I. can't. do. it. When I read the teary stories about their health problems or behavior problems or tough prior life, I think, "I am not UP to undoing the damage someone else did to that poor animal!" Our last cat was an example of an over-zealous rescue group foisting a cat they HAD to know had a severe heart defect on a poor unsuspecting family. By the time we found out, the kids were attached. THANKS.

IMO it's a lot like foster kids versus having a baby. Should we not have our own babies because somewhere there is a child needing a home? A foster child can be amazing...IF the family is ready and equipped to deal with whatever crap their earlier life left them. A friend of ours took in 2 young foster kids all idealistic and ended up having to return them when they became violent to their own kids.

Same goes with a puppy/dog. Make the decision about whether you are up to a rescue dog, take your time finding the right one, don't expect the shelter workers to put your interests ahead of the dog's. If you decide you want to get a puppy from a breeder, don't feel guilty, make sure your puppy never ends up in a shelter, and find a good breeder. Make sure the puppy isn't from a puppy mill -- they are less healthy, harder to PT, inbred, unsocialized, and will make your life with puppy that much more difficult.

And did I mention research, research, research??? :D

ETA: In favor of a smaller dog breed, as my dh puts it, "Smaller dog; smaller poop." Also smaller food bill. A Husky is a great active dog, but it costs a lot to feed it and makes lots of poo to pick up (don't hold our breath that the kids will do it enough). A Bichon frise is roughly 10 lbs...so eats and poops a LOT less. :D Also, the hair vs fur breeds don't shed and smell less...doggy, but you have to cut their hair regularly (or get it cut).

Edited by ChandlerMom

OK, let me tell you, I know fluffy white dogs!

Ours is a Bolognese. He does not shed at all. He is as sweet as sugar. He has the personality of your favorite teddy bear come to life. He loves to cuddle and be held. He adores children. He has a low play drive -- meaning, he will play with the kids, but he's very, very gentle. He sleeps (in the cutest positions!) about 23.5 hours a day. Everyone who sees him just wants to touch him, and he adores that.

Cons: He was very hard to get potty trained. It was like he was learning disabled in this department. He is prone to anxiety. This is not a daily thing. In fact, he's like a tonic for anxiety because he is normally so laid back and sleepy. But he doesn't travel well, and he doesn't make it easy for us to travel. And the big con: You've either got to groom him an hour a day or clip that beautiful fluff off once a month. Because he doesn't shed, you have to detangle the hairs carefully, and it's not something a child can manage alone.

Here's our fluffy white puppy's FB page:

ETA: Since you mentioned running, there's no way this dog would have the energy to be a running partner. He loves going on short walks, but we almost have to carry him home (not literally). And I'm sure you could build up his fitness if you made a program of it. But this dog was meant for cuddling, not jogging.

OMG, that is the cutest doggie! Definitely white and fluffy :D

Which is more important: size or athletic ability? My miniature poodle (13 lbs) has lots of energy, but she could never run 3 miles. We often walk 3-4, with a little jogging in there, but she's beat by the end.

A lovely Siberian Husky followed my son home recently. He has a big body frame but is very lean (about 50 lbs). This dog would run forever with you. But he isn't hyper at all. He comes into the house and just curls up for hours. He is very smart and teachable. He likes to play ball. Apparently someone had groomed him before he became lost (or dumped) so obviously the coat can be taken care of several times a year. We brushed and brushed him just after we got him, but now we only have to brush him a couple times a week - possibly because he has been trimmed. He's excellent with our cats, new kitten, and the other dogs (a miniature poodle and a lab). He has been a peach with my 2 year old nephew (mostly just ignoring him, but certainly not aggressive towards him). He's a sweetheart!

I never knew anything about Huskies but so far I'm impressed with our experience. And he would have been a big fluffy white puppy. Oh and he has the coolest white-blue eyes. We named him Data (from Star Trek).

As I added above, amount of food and poop should be considered in larger vas smaller breeds. Another is dominance. A husky WILL challenge you for dominance, as will most "working" dogs. This can be a big issue with kids, who can have a harder time exerting dominance over a dog. Most "companion" breeds are less...assertive, but you have to make sure you still establish your dominance or you can end up with "small dog syndrome".

OK, can anyone tell I'm a little OVER involved in researching dogs right now? Seems like the last time I had a dog was the doggy dark ages...all the "theory" has changed! :tongue_smilie:

That's what I had always thought about them - and maybe we just got a very mild one. But this fella would not even look me in the face when he first arrived. He didn't cower, but he was very submissive. He will now look me in the face, but he is still super obedient and very sensitive to my commands. Again, he may not be typical of the breed.

I wanted to add that the Bolgonese (at least mine) is not a girly-dog. He is fairly sturdy and hearty. Aside from his fluffiness (OK, and his sleepiness), he doesn't strike you as a froo-froo dog. He's not the kind of dog that you'd think of painting his toenails and putting bows in his hair. There's a boyishness and a "dogness" to ours. He's technically our son's dog, and our son is at that age where he's mortified at anything babyish or girlish; and he's not embarrassed to claim the dog. :)

My dh had no problems with the masculinity of our Maltese. Until we got a girl boxer. Now, Cosmo-- the tiny, fluffy, boy Maltese and Jasmine--the big, clumsy, tough-looking, girl boxer get called by the wrong gender....constantly.

Btw--both dogs are currently sprawled out on the couch right next to me. Gotta love doggie snuggles.

They have been asking me FOREVER for a dog and now that I am single and living here alone without my ex-dh I think now would be a good time. I just don't know what kind of dog to get or where to get it from. Here is what I am hoping to find:

Fluffy White Puppy - Not an adult dog

Not too big - Small-Medium size

Easy to train

Not too messy (tons of fur all over the place)

Not to much upkeep (nothing that has to be professionally groomed every week)

Not too hyper

A dog that will be able to go on runs with me. (up to 3 miles)

VERY kid friendly

Any suggestions?

We have two labradoodles that are wonderful. One is called 'blonde' but really looks white and when his hair is let get longer is fluffy. I get all my dogs clipped about every 4-5 months. They have gone 7 months when my oldest son was ill but were looking pretty bad and had some mats. Size wise the blonde is probably about 50-60# and the black is about 35-40#. They were pretty wild when they were pups but really are great now. Like another pp said, most puppies are hyper.

You're going to have to balance out some of your requirements. Small dog doesn't necessarily mean a dog that can jog three miles with you.

Easy to train doesn't always come with not too hyper.

Very kid friendly and small are two different things sometimes.

Pick your top requirement and then your top three of that list and let's reconvene. :)

Honestly it sounds like you just want a nice family dog on the smaller side-check your shelter first!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

And if it is a small dog, be sure the kids don't wrestle or roughhouse with it too much. I've seen small dogs injure the spine from kids not realizing play can be rough.

Who will be potty training the dog? Walking it daily? Smaller dogs are more hyper than bigger dogs and walks help get its hyperactivity out. Who will be correcting it for barking -- smaller dogs tend to bark more. I would look at a dog from the shelter than getting a puppy.

Well then poodle should be high on your list. The poodles I have had were not hyper but loved to go on walks. Very easy to train, very smart dogs. Grooming is easy if not exactly cheap. But I have been very pleasantly surprised by the much lower price I am paying here in Alabama. Oh, and neither of my two poodle or poodle mixes were annoying barkers. My white mini now, called Fluffy, only barks with doorbells or people at the door which I appreciate. ALso, he will bark once if we forgot him in a room to tell us he is locked out.My dog is older, 11 and has both a heart condition and arthritis but he still loves to play and take walks even with those issues. He is on medications that help him continue his normal lifestyle.

Correct.

Poodles are very intelligent dogs and easy to train. And you can train the barking too as they can understand better than other breeds (less intelligent) what is acceptable. However, they are not for running -- perhaps a medium white poodle or Labradoodle mix?

As I added above, amount of food and poop should be considered in larger vas smaller breeds. Another is dominance. A husky WILL challenge you for dominance, as will most "working" dogs. This can be a big issue with kids, who can have a harder time exerting dominance over a dog. Most "companion" breeds are less...assertive, but you have to make sure you still establish your dominance or you can end up with "small dog syndrome".

OK, can anyone tell I'm a little OVER involved in researching dogs right now? Seems like the last time I had a dog was the doggy dark ages...all the "theory" has changed! :tongue_smilie:

Actually, dominance is an outdated idea all on it's own. Leadership is good, but dominance has little to do with it. There are some great books and such on the subject.

My chihuahua is the queen of dominating all the other animals. My much larger, in comparison to the chihuahua, Schnoodle is such a sweetheart. She lets the Chihuahua dominate her but once in awhile "tells" her to chill-out (she grumbles and it sounds similar to an old man fussing).

Labradoodles are very sweet. I almost chose one of those before I adopted my Schnoodle. The Schnoodle is a bit more "hypoallergenic" for me (I've been allergic to the Labs that I've encountered in my life). Any poodle mix would be a smart, sweet dog (well, based on what I've experienced).

My chihuahua is the queen of dominating all the other animals. My much larger, in comparison to the chihuahua, Schnoodle is such a sweetheart. She lets the Chihuahua dominate her but once in awhile "tells" her to chill-out (she grumbles and it sounds similar to an old man fussing).

Labradoodles are very sweet. I almost chose one of those before I adopted my Schnoodle. The Schnoodle is a bit more "hypoallergenic" for me (I've been allergic to the Labs that I've encountered in my life). Any poodle mix would be a smart, sweet dog (well, based on what I've experienced).

Yes, our Labradoodles don't shed much but they do a little. I can imagine that the schnoodle doesn't at all. Possibly the other difference, when we had a schnauzer years ago we did have to have them groomed every 5-6 wks where the labradoodles that we presently have need it much less frequently.

I just wanted to add that my Cavachon is in no way hyper, and never has been....even as a puppy. He sleeps 23 hours out of the day - preferably next to somebody in a pile of blankets on the couch. He only barks when somebody is at the door and immediately stops when the door is answered. He is content to just have somebody pet him frequently, but will play if you want to. He will go on walks with DD, but in no way needs them.

I do not want to discourage you from getting a pet from a shelter but be sure you are getting what they say it is. We have gotten 2 from a local shelter here and neither time were the people there honest about the animal. Just saying.

We had a bad experience with one, also. Our "black lab" puppy grew up to look predominantly pit bull. Pit bull fans can rave all they want, we didn't want one. Our insurance even evaluates dogs and penalizes you for aggressive dogs. They specifically asked about our Maltese (and met her) and I was glad we didn't have the pit to explain. We spent lots of money on private/group training, but she was extremely stubborn. She would latch on to something and not let go until you found food to tempt her with. We were scared of her and that's not a good situation. A local pit bull rescue took her to rehome her.

We looked into a breed rescue, but they have EXTREMELY strict rules. Our pit bull fiasco is a big mark against us. We have gone, happily, with pure breeds and have found both to be remarkably close to breed descriptions (personality wise.)

We had a bad experience with one, also. Our "black lab" puppy grew up to look predominantly pit bull. Pit bull fans can rave all they want, we didn't want one. Our insurance even evaluates dogs and penalizes you for aggressive dogs. They specifically asked about our Maltese (and met her) and I was glad we didn't have the pit to explain. We spent lots of money on private/group training, but she was extremely stubborn. She would latch on to something and not let go until you found food to tempt her with. We were scared of her and that's not a good situation. A local pit bull rescue took her to rehome her.

We looked into a breed rescue, but they have EXTREMELY strict rules. Our pit bull fiasco is a big mark against us. We have gone, happily, with pure breeds and have found both to be remarkably close to breed descriptions (personality wise.)

See, this is what scares me. I just want to know what I am getting. I would not be a happy dog owner with something that had a ton of problems and obstacles to overcome.

Actually, dominance is an outdated idea all on it's own. Leadership is good, but dominance has little to do with it. There are some great books and such on the subject.

:confused: Cesar Millan (Dog Whiserer) prefers "leadership" but still uses the terms dominance and assertiveness, and all the books I'm reading are from the last 6 years, so not sure where you are getting that the idea of dominance is "outdated"?

There are lots of training theories, from "pack-training" (sometimes called dominance training, dominate like an alpha) to "learn to communicate like a dog" (read and respect their cues) -- probably as many styles as trainers. But I'm not talking about a specific training style, but the fact that some dogs are more likely to assert their dominance than others. Most dogs bred for companionship aren't as interested in trying to be top dog (or whatever PC term of the day is popular). The best advice I have seen is to always get a dog that is no more assertive than you. In other words, they are inclined to accept your leadership. Some people can do an awesome dog with an assertive/dominant/strong-willed/alpha-type dog. And I've also seen others totally at the mercy of their cocker spaniel (as in giving them treats to get them to release a shoe because they are afraid it will bite them otherwise).

Just curious if Im missing something here?

Edited by ChandlerMom

OK, we have narrowed down the search to either the

King Charles Sona....

whatever that last part is. LOL

AND

Bichon Friese

I found a good website for the King Charles but I can't find one for the bichon Friese that tell about reputable breeders. Anyone know any? I don't want a rescue one as I don't have the resources to handle a lot of problems.

Also, I found if you google Dogs 101 (doggie breed name) you will find a great video series you can watch on Youtube or Animal Planet that tells a lot about each breed.

I would also vote for the American Eskimo. Ours is the sweetest, cutest dog and no problems at all. She's probably also the easiest dog we've ever had.

She's smart, does all kinds of tricks and she just loves her family. Hope you post pictures, whatever you decide!

OK, we have narrowed down the search to either the

King Charles Sona....

whatever that last part is. LOL

AND

Bichon Friese

I found a good website for the King Charles but I can't find one for the bichon Friese that tell about reputable breeders. Anyone know any? I don't want a rescue one as I don't have the resources to handle a lot of problems.

Also, I found if you google Dogs 101 (doggie breed name) you will find a great video series you can watch on Youtube or Animal Planet that tells a lot about each breed.

Search "Bichon Frise" (note the spelling of Frise) and your town. I'v seen lots listed in Ohio. You can also check your state's Bichon Frise club for recommended breeders. You can find backyard breeders thru Craigslist or Ebay classifieds (but would need to really check out conditions, parents health, etc). Rememebr the best looking website doesn't mean the best puppies.

I'd search on finding puppy breeders for general tips. :) Good luck! Just remember, finding a puppy is a bit like buying a house -- may take time and best not to fall in love with the first one you see. Except you'll probably have the dog longer than your house.

http://www.doggies.com/Bichon_Frise/Ohio

Edited by ChandlerMom