Menu

Do you have slippers that would meet my requirements?

Normally in the winter I wear socks to keep my feet warm, but because of a recent injury to my foot, I need some slippers with a hard sole so that my foot will be protected if I bump into anything. I'd like them to be cushy on the inside, but I'm worried about them getting dirty and being un-cleanable. If they had a little arch support, that would be a plus, for sure.

My feet are freezing. I think it's some weird symptom of early menopause or something, 'cause I've never been cold in the past. :001_huh:

Blood pressure meds, but I've been on them for a couple of years, and the coldness has been more recent.

I am on blood pressure meds too. Blood pressure meds can cause cold feet. I do not know if time is a factor or not.

I hope you find the perfect slippers. BTW, 6pm.com is zappos' discount website :001_smile:

I don't know about cleanability, although mine don't stink and I've never felt the need to clean them...

But Sportsman's Guide puts out a super cozy slipper that I love; I've had them for 3 years, have worn them on a regular basis on brief stints outdoors and they've really held up:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/womens-guide-gear-10-booties-cinnamon.aspx?a=753395

I have a $10 pair of fleecy Dearfoams that are awesome. They do have a rubbery sole to resist Legos on the floor, but not so hard I'm clomping around. They're really warm, and can go in the washing machine & dryer. They are padded/cushy inside, but no real arch support.

We have hard wood floors, and I must wear hard soled slippers year round. These are my favorite winter slippers. Those Keen ones would be great too. I've had similar designed slippers in several named brands. I can often get these fairly cheap on Sierra Trading.

http://www.acorn.com/product/womens/acorn-snowflower-mule-slipper-women.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2

I just bought myself a pair of Crocs Mammoth shoes. I have had foot pain for about a month and a half, and the shoes that feel most comfortable for me are my Crocs sandals. The Mammoths have a removable, washable sheepskin-like liner. The shoes themselves are washable rubber type material. They have arch supports and are soft enough to feel like slippers.

The website said that the liner makes them fit a bit more snugly than other Crocs, so if you wear a half size they recommend sizing up.

Crocs also has a line called "Rx" designed especially for folks with foot problems.

HTH,

GardenMom

Well.... they are not the sexiest thing on earth, but depending on your insurance, the might pay for part. Have you heard of Dr. Comfort? I am not allowed to be bare foot anymore because of a sublaxated cuboid bone (that was a new one to me) I have custome made orthopedic inserts to wear in sneakers for whenever I am walking, exercising or going to the mall.:lol: For around the house I have the pink slippers and for evening wear, the mary janes sexy, eh? They are orthopedic shoes, with a gel insert. I am so lame now I take my slippers with me on vacation, but they work.

I'm a total slipper fanatic. I'm very hard on my slippers. I expect them to last a year of daily use, slip on with ease, warm, hold up in occasional washing machine trips, tough enough to step on a nail and be protected, and slip resistant (I'm a total klutz and slip on our wood floors all the time). Hands down the only slipper that has endured these regiments is the Ugg coquette. I've even been known to garden in them! :D

If you aren't that hard on your slippers or use them often, the coquette's may be too costly. For someone like me it's cheaper to spring for the expensive ones versus buying 2 or 3 pairs a year.

Hi Julie,

I'll second the LL Bean Wicked Good Clogs or mocs. They are furry on the inside but with a hard sole that can go outside. I wear 100% of the time at home and they hold up well.

I would also suggest that you have your thyroid checked. That's your body's thermostat, as well as metabolism and a million other things. Mine is non-existent from radiation for Graves disease almost 20 years ago, but I know when my medication isn't right because I'm cold (esp. hands and feet). I also gain 5 lbs almost overnight. Just something to check!

I like my Mukluk slipper socks.

I got a pair of these a couple of years ago at Christmas and they were incredibly soft inside. I wanted to love them, but they wouldn't stay up, and they slipped around so much I thought I was going to fall down. I donated them to the thrift store after I wore them maybe twice. :(

Normally in the winter I wear socks to keep my feet warm, but because of a recent injury to my foot, I need some slippers with a hard sole so that my foot will be protected if I bump into anything. I'd like them to be cushy on the inside, but I'm worried about them getting dirty and being un-cleanable. If they had a little arch support, that would be a plus, for sure.

My feet are freezing. I think it's some weird symptom of early menopause or something, 'cause I've never been cold in the past. :001_huh:

The arch support -- that's what Crocs do best IMO.

They have tread.

They're washable.

The wooly crocs would be the warmest. I se there are some now with a fleece liner for about the same price.

If I lived in CA that's what I'd do.

The arch support -- that's what Crocs do best IMO.

They have tread.

They're washable.

The wooly crocs would be the warmest. I se there are some now with a fleece liner for about the same price.

If I lived in CA that's what I'd do.

I think I have settled on lined Crocs. It seems like the most practical solution, though all of the suggestions look wonderful.:001_smile:

BEST SLIPPERS EVER!! They are like sleeping bags for your feet. I have had mine for years now. They keep my feet (very prone to being extremely cold) nice and toasty and are washable. When we lived in Canada I would walk half a block over ice and snow to check the mail wearing these. They are waterproof on bottom and I've never slipped while wearing them. They might look a little absurd but they are WORTH IT! :D Seriously, I am extremely picky about slippers and these have made me so happy. If you don't want to get them from this Canadian company, Northface has a version also. I think they call theirs tent booties.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/SlippersBooties/PRD~5011-597/mec-hut-booties-2-unisex.jsp

Oh, yes, here is the Northface version. I can't vouch for these but I'm pretty sure they'd likely be just as awesome.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp?item=224009&cmpn=70125&N=0&sendroicid=974765b9-e467-4c45-b359-d40d89ae9717&sendroikwd=224009

I like the Wicked Good Moccasins from LL Bean. They have a semi hard rubber sole and nice shearling inside. I've have several pairs over the years. They are pricey, but they are comfortable and well made.

I have these too... on my feet as I write. Not sure the sole would be hard enough for what Julie is looking for. The soles are pliable.