Menu

Do you call your evening meal Dinner or Supper?

Do you call your evening meal Dinner or Supper?  

1. 1. Do you call your evening meal Dinner or Supper?

• Dinner
    • Super
    • Other

My youngest dd and I were talking about how some people call their evening meal dinner and some people call it supper. What do you call the meal you eat in the evening?

When I was a kid.....it was always "supper". "Dinner" was like a fancy way of saying it (and we were by no means fancy). Now, I never call it supper but always dinner (which certainly doesn't mean I'm fancy by any means). :001_smile:

Please vote in our poll so dd can graph the results.

We are also having a second poll (similar to this) to follow. Stay tuned.

ETA: Our other poll is: Do you call carbonated beverages Soda or Pop? Please vote there too. Thanks!

ETA again: Someone pointed out that I spelled Supper wrong!!! I really do know how to spell.....but I can't edit it. Drats! I hope it's obvious that Super means Supper. Heehee!

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Guest submarines

Breafast (morning)

Lunch (noon) light meal

Dinner (4-5pm) bigger meal

Supper (7-8pm) light meal / snacks / tea

Though DH says that I'm all wrong, wrong, wrong! :lol:

Other. Either/or. In about equal frequency.

I should have added Either/Or to the poll. Darn it! :001_smile:

The part of England I'm from it's called Tea; Dinner is the midday meal.

Other parts of England call it Dinner; lunch is the midday meal.

Tea. Interesting.

Breafast (morning)

Lunch (noon) light meal

Dinner (4-5pm) bigger meal

Supper (7-8pm) light meal / snacks / tea

Though DH says that I'm all wrong, wrong, wrong! :lol:

:lol: Is he a Canadian? Maybe if he's not he's thinking..."Supper?? But we just had dinner!" :lol:

Until 18mos ago, I lived in an area where the noon meal was "dinner" and the evening meal was called "supper." Now we live in an area where it's "lunch" and "dinner." I've found myself conforming to the local term, so "dinner" it is.

It's just the opposite for me. I had always lived where it was (properly!) called "lunch" and "dinner."

Here, they call it "dinner" and "supper." It's partly a Francophone thing, but they're still wrong anyway. :tongue_smilie:

Nevertheless, I use the local verbiage in order to avoid confusions over which meal I've invited someone to attend. If I ask someone over for dinner and they show up for lunch, I'm confused and embarrassed and they're confused and disappointed.

It's just the opposite for me. I had always lived where it was (properly!) called "lunch" and "dinner."

Here, they call it "dinner" and "supper." It's partly a Francophone thing, but they're still wrong anyway. :tongue_smilie:

Nevertheless, I use the local verbiage in order to avoid confusions over which meal I've invited someone to attend. If I ask someone over for dinner and they show up for lunch, I'm confused and embarrassed and they're confused and disappointed.

:lol: That's funny!

The part of England I'm from it's called Tea; Dinner is the midday meal.

Other parts of England call it Dinner; lunch is the midday meal.

Sarah Pooh Bear....my dd has a question for you. She'd like to know if you were a queen or a princess when you lived in England. :D

:iagree: The words are pretty much synonyms the way I use them.

I think that the main meal when served at lunch is called dinner. Maybe then, the later meal is called supper? Anyway, I think technical differences between the two words are becoming archaic and they are mostly interchangeable.

:iagree: The words are pretty much synonyms the way I use them.

I think that the main meal when served at lunch is called dinner. Maybe then, the later meal is called supper? Anyway, I think technical differences between the two words are becoming archaic and they are mostly interchangeable.

Yes, I think that the main meal was traditionally called dinner. Many farming families had dinner at noontime. This explains it well.

This difference was a little funny when we visited dh's family in NC. I told them I would prepare "dinner" and bil came in around noon asking when the food would be ready. I told him, "I'm not making lunch. I'm making dinner." We got into a huge discussion about the dinner vs. supper thing and it is still a joke every time we see each other. :lol:

Yep, just a plain ole commoner. I don't even sound like a princess, so I couldn't disguise myself as one.

Awwww.... By the way, your pooh bear is pink. Up north where we live...they are yellow (dd thought you should know). :D

FWIW....dd doesn't read these boards on a regular basis or anything....she's only 8....but, she's interested in how her polls are doing. She's enjoying seeing the poll change. :001_smile:

As a child the mid-day meal was always 'dinner', the evening meal 'tea', and a substantial snack before bed was 'supper'.

For DH 'lunch' was the mid-day meal, 'tea' was a snack late afternoon, and the evening meal was 'supper'.

We now call the mid-day meal 'lunch' and evening meal 'tea', although DH still calls it 'supper' sometimes.

I think the main thing is to adapt to the locals. Whether it's lunch, dinner, or supper doesn't matter, as long as everyone knows what time to show up. :D

:iagree:

Now, my grandparents called it supper. The mid-day meal was dinner. But somehow, even though I lived with them until I was 11yo, that didn't stick. I call it either one, for no apparent reason whatsoever. :D