Menu

Please pray for NJ...proposed bill will make hs very difficult!

This woman(Loretta Weinberg) has challenged the hs laws in NJ before and the Lord has always intervened but if it passes, we will go from one of the easiest states to one of the most restrictive in the nation.

I know that many disagree with HSLDA's policies etc. but please let's not go there;)

Please pray that this bill will NOT be introduced.

Here's the link if you feel compelled to respond in some way.

Thanks!!

http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2011/11/20111116161720.asp

This woman(Loretta Weinberg) has challenged the hs laws in NJ before and the Lord has always intervened but if it passes, we will go from one of the easiest states to one of the most restrictive in the nation.

I know that many disagree with HSLDA's policies etc. but please let's not go there;)

Please pray that this bill will NOT be introduced.

Here's the link if you feel compelled to respond in some way.

Thanks!!

http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2011/11/20111116161720.asp

Shrug. Even from HSLDA's own description of the bill, it's not that big a deal. Public schooled kids have to have medical exams in order to fill out health and vaccination forms, I see no reason why home schooled kids shouldn't have to as well. It does at least address the problem of abused kids disappearing from the system.

And a portfolio of work, with the contents to be determined by the relevant state administration? Again, so what? What exactly is it about the "government" that panics people so much? I just don't get it.

Government interference has to start somewhere. I don't live in NJ I live in FL and we have to do portfolios and it I hate it. The cheapest I found was $25 a kid I have 3 kids that is a big chunk of change for me as a single mom. Physicals and all that junk, why should I have to do that? Why should I have to take time and money when my kid is not sick to hear some lecture about getting vaccinated blah blah blah.

Just so some doctor can say yeah your kid is healthy. It is annoying and time consuming. Fill out this, submit that etc etc. It is all just another way to aggravate us.

Public schooled kids have to have medical exams in order to fill out health and vaccination forms, I see no reason why home schooled kids shouldn't have to as well.

Really? They don't in AZ in less you count head start. I would not want to see government mandated medical exams in my state. Not only is there the issue of cost (my family has been with out insurance more often then not), but it infringes upon my right to choose the kind of health care I deem appropriate. I want the right to choose what kinds of medical practitioners my family sees and when. Because there are criminals in society who would do harm is not a reason to limit my rights as a law abiding citizen (in this case my right to choose the kind of health care my family receives and when).

While in public school, my kids were not required to have an annual physical. (I am in NJ.) There are certain vaccinations for which we must show proof, and a physical is necessary if your child wishes to play sports.

The State Board of Ed. has not done a fabulous job with what they have on their plate now. I don't expect they will do any better with additional responsibilities. The state government has made a mess of all they have touched. Our taxes are outrageous and we receive fewer and fewer services. We pay tolls every time we drive 6 miles, and our school budgets have been decimated.

Stay out of my house. Clean up your mess before you ask to oversee my children.

We are a minimally medical intervention style family. We go only if there is a big problem with one of us and so far dd's gone for her well-child visits. However we don't do vaccines and really the well-child visits are pointless for us because we don't do the vaccines. I can weigh her and measure her myself.

While in public school, my kids were not required to have an annual physical. (I am in NJ.) There are certain vaccinations for which we must show proof, and a physical is necessary if your child wishes to play sports.

The State Board of Ed. has not done a fabulous job with what they have on their plate now. I don't expect they will do any better with additional responsibilities. The state government has made a mess of all they have touched. Our taxes are outrageous and we receive fewer and fewer services. We pay tolls every time we drive 6 miles, and our school budgets have been decimated.

This is how I feel about it. I can only hope that because NJ is so broke right now, no one will want to put money into this kind of initiative. I love this state, and I love living here, but man. They make it harder and harder every day. Did you know that so many people began leaving NJ over the past several years that they had to institute a kind of "exit tax"? They're letting go of teachers left and right here, yet they want to spend money to hire people to oversee HSers? It's ridiculous.

Weinberg is a huge champion for the NJEA. You'd think she'd want to funnel any extra money back to them. Then again, if these restrictive measures get passed, I guess the federal money for all the HSers who decide it's not worth it the hassle will more than make up the difference :glare:

Shrug. Even from HSLDA's own description of the bill, it's not that big a deal. Public schooled kids have to have medical exams in order to fill out health and vaccination forms, I see no reason why home schooled kids shouldn't have to as well. It does at least address the problem of abused kids disappearing from the system.

Seiously?? You've never heard of children in public schools, in the system, who continue to be abused??? And why should children who are taught at home by their own parents have to submit health and vaccination forms to the government??

And a portfolio of work, with the contents to be determined by the relevant state administration? Again, so what? What exactly is it about the "government" that panics people so much? I just don't get it.

Why should parents have to justify to the government how they teach their children?:confused:

What is it about parents raising their children without government interference that panics people so much? THAT is what I don't get.

I firmly believe that one should not advocate for or against a particular bill without READING THE ACTUAL BILL. Only then will you know what parts of the bill you in particular may be against, and which you may be for. Only then will you be able to craft thoughtful, wise arguments for or against it; arguments that legislators will therefore take seriously. Only then will you see things that would affect you that might not have been noticed by someone who schools differently or who is in a different stage of schooling or who has different circumstances than you.

It is not enough to read bits and pieces out of context.

This bill does not sound good of course, but we can't judge how bad it may be without seeing the details.

Did HSLDA provide a link to the bill, so that homeschoolers can read it for themselves?

Prayer is great but get those emails and letters to Weinberg out stat.

I got mine out this evening. I am soooo sick of lazy leadership that adds bureaucracy without benefit.

Please do not introduce S3105. DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t punish homeschoolers for the failures of DYFS. I will be watching very carefully this unnecessary over extension of government control and voting accordingly.

Define the REAL issue you wish to fix, perform careful, data-driven root cause analysis and solution based upon that data. A broadbrush stroke solution is lazy leadership. Please demonstrate your leadership by emphatically driving home that message and refusing to introduce a bill that introduces new complexity without remedying the true problem. Homeschooling is not the issue; dig deeper.

I firmly believe that one should not advocate for or against a particular bill without READING THE ACTUAL BILL. Only then will you know what parts of the bill you in particular may be against, and which you may be for. Only then will you be able to craft thoughtful, wise arguments for or against it; arguments that legislators will therefore take seriously. Only then will you see things that would affect you that might not have been noticed by someone who schools differently or who is in a different stage of schooling or who has different circumstances than you.

This bill does not sound good of course, but we can't judge how bad it may be without seeing the details.

Did HSLDA provide a link to the bill, so that homeschoolers can read it for themselves?

Yes, they do albeit in a round about way:

Background

HSLDA, Education Network of Christian Homeschoolers (ENOCH), and Catholic Homeschoolers of New Jersey (CHNJ) and others are united as a task force in opposing S3105.

View the entire bill as currently drafted >>

at the bottom you'll find the link to the bill here: https://www.hslda.org/legislation/state/NJ/2011/Draft_NJSB3105.pdf

:iagree: Just the first line of the announcement "Your calls are needed to stop a bill that treats every homeschool parent like a child abuser" makes me want to question everything else they say. How is this bill going to treat me like a child abuser? Will my children be removed from me and put in the foster care system? Will they convict me of a felony? Will I end up in prison?

The HSLDA rhetoric is so sensationalist. It's like a tabloid from the supermarket checkout line. It's hard for me to actually believe anything they say.

Well I can't find the actual bill... We need Mrs. Mungo's google-fu for it. I did find this...

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/billsbynumber.asp

Type in 3105 and it says this next to it...

Requires medical examination and submission of student work portfolios for home-schooled children; provides that children under supervision of DYFS may not be home-schooled.

The actual bill doesn't seem to have been released or something. I am not sure.

ETA: Didn't see the other posts as they were posting the same time as me! :)

Thanks for the link.

If you're going to write a letter, I'd think about the following:

1. Thank the rep for their work.

2. Explain a bit about you - e.g. homeschool mom for x years, x no of kids, successes of older kids.

3. State the goals you have in common (making sure kids are well-cared for, minimizing unneeded govt cost, whatever is appropriate).

4. State that you have concerns about the bill.

5. Show how the bill may hinder the goals you have in common - for example, not being able to homeschool a foster child may be a problem if said child has been bullied at school. Foster parents need all tools on the table to meet their child's needs.

6. State additional concerns - for example, the bill requires a portfolio, but says nothing about what the district is supposed to do with it, or what the district is supposed to do if it's not up to snuff. no standards on what "up to snuff" would be, nothing about when/if the homeschooler would get the port back, and so on.

7. Explain things already in place that take care of the reps concerns.

8. Restate 2.

9. Restate 1.

10. Offer to discuss bill or provide further thoughts if desired.

Sincerely,

hs mom

Quote from the draft bill whenever possible. Be polite. Be informed. Don't be confrontational - it's not productive.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Interestingly, there is language in the NJ bill straight from PA's law, but it is one of the most confusing/controversial parts - the dreaded log!

:iagree: Just the first line of the announcement "Your calls are needed to stop a bill that treats every homeschool parent like a child abuser" makes me want to question everything else they say. How is this bill going to treat me like a child abuser? Will my children be removed from me and put in the foster care system? Will they convict me of a felony? Will I end up in prison?

The HSLDA rhetoric is so sensationalist. It's like a tabloid from the supermarket checkout line. It's hard for me to actually believe anything they say.

They're saying that because the proposed legislation is directly in response to two cases where children being "homeschooled" were killed by their parents. After the most recent case (this past summer), both Weinberg and another legislator began making a lot of noise about how these children wouldn't have slipped through the system if homeschoolers were monitored. Of course, the children WERE being monitored by government officials--they had been on DYFS's radar for years, and as recently as a few months before their deaths. The same phrasing has been used all over the place since their intent to propose legislation hit the papers. Believe me, I am no fan of HSLDA, but I don't think this release is particularly sensational.

ETA: Here's a link to an article after the most recent case. Both of Weinberg's attempts at regulating HSing have come immediately after both abuse cases surfaced. If forcing regulation on tens of thousands of families because of two cases of tragic abuse isn't treating all HSers like abusers, what is?

Edited by melissel

Seiously?? You've never heard of children in public schools, in the system, who continue to be abused??? And why should children who are taught at home by their own parents have to submit health and vaccination forms to the government??

Why should parents have to justify to the government how they teach their children?:confused:

1) I didn't say NO children in the system continue to be abused. Saying this "addresses" an issue - speaks to an issue - doesn't mean it SOLVES the issue.

Being seen by a doctor once a year obviously doesn't end child abuse in this country (did you REALLY think I was suggesting that?) but it is an additional, and in my view, reasonable measure.

2) Because the state has an interest in the health of its citizens. And because children who are educated at home can spread illness, too. Last I checked homeschool wasn't quarantine.

3)We have to justify all sorts of things to the government, because we CHOSE a system of government, not anarchy. Government exists for a reason, because some things are better accomplished by the government than by private actors. And again, the state has a legitimate interest in ensuring that the next generation is educated.

And before you jump all over me, NO, I'm not saying that the public schools are doing such a great job. I am homeschooling, after all. Whether the public schools are doing well or not at the moment is really not the same as the legal/constitutional issue of the state's legitimate interest in the education of future citizens.

And with that, I'm going to step away from this. I have never gotten involved in a thread like this, and I don't think it's good for my health.

I've had one in the public schools from the start and we never had to provide proof of physicals unless she was doing sports. We did have to submit vaccinations periodically - not every year just certain times.

I'm not too worried. Besides the fact that this woman has tried this repeatedly with no success - there is no funding available in NJ to FIND the homeschoolers much less to hire the people to go through all the paperwork for every family. Since we don't have to register anywhere, tell anyone or do anything official, the state doesn't even know who the homeschoolers are. They would have to spend huge amounts of money just trying to officially notify people that the laws have changed, then implement a program for enforcement. So many school districts are seriously underfunded, don't have enough teachers and are struggling - homeschoolers are really the least of their worries.

I think HSLDA has blown this out of proportion.

1) I didn't say NO children in the system continue to be abused. Saying this "addresses" an issue - speaks to an issue - doesn't mean it SOLVES the issue.

Being seen by a doctor once a year obviously doesn't end child abuse in this country (did you REALLY think I was suggesting that?) but it is an additional, and in my view, reasonable measure.

It addresses something that seems to have been an issue for TWO families in 2003 and 2011. Two out of tens of thousands of homeschooling families in this state. It is reasonable to spend the legislative time and dwindling funds of a state that cannot meet its current financial and educational obligations on regulating a population that, other than these two isolated cases, generally seems to exhibit no more instances of egregious abuse than the conventionally schooled population?

2) Because the state has an interest in the health of its citizens. And because children who are educated at home can spread illness, too. Last I checked homeschool wasn't quarantine.

I've said it before WRT to this issue, and I'll say it again. Babies and toddlers are just as at risk, if not more so, than school-aged children. If Loretta Weinberg is as concerned as she says she is about children being on the government radar, why is she not advocating that parents of all children, regardless of age, submit proof of an annual physical exam? Her interest in the annual physicals has nothing to do with illness and everything to do with an annual welfare check.

3)We have to justify all sorts of things to the government, because we CHOSE a system of government, not anarchy. Government exists for a reason, because some things are better accomplished by the government than by private actors. And again, the state has a legitimate interest in ensuring that the next generation is educated.

And before you jump all over me, NO, I'm not saying that the public schools are doing such a great job. I am homeschooling, after all. Whether the public schools are doing well or not at the moment is really not the same as the legal/constitutional issue of the state's legitimate interest in the education of future citizens.

I don't disagree with your first point, but I do disagree with your second. If a state government is going to make sweeping legislation that actually holds the target population to a HIGHER standard than the rest of the population, it had better be doing a pretty dang good job of managing the rest of the population first before holding my feet to the fire too.

Here in NJ, the system is broken and growing ever more so, in spite of what the NJEA made a big deal over during their annual convention in Atlantic City last week. Making a big deal over monitoring HSers is a red herring, IMO. The fact of the matter here in NJ is that the governor is very unhappy with the educational system, and the legislator bringing this bill forward is the teachers' union's biggest advocate--she has been for many years. I firmly believe that this bill is not at all about HSers and their capabilities. It's about money (getting HSers back into the schools to regain lost federal funding) and about drawing attention off the educational reforms that are being talked about but not actually instituted.

I've had one in the public schools from the start and we never had to provide proof of physicals unless she was doing sports. We did have to submit vaccinations periodically - not every year just certain times.

I'm not too worried. Besides the fact that this woman has tried this repeatedly with no success - there is no funding available in NJ to FIND the homeschoolers much less to hire the people to go through all the paperwork for every family. Since we don't have to register anywhere, tell anyone or do anything official, the state doesn't even know who the homeschoolers are. They would have to spend huge amounts of money just trying to officially notify people that the laws have changed, then implement a program for enforcement. So many school districts are seriously underfunded, don't have enough teachers and are struggling - homeschoolers are really the least of their worries.

I think HSLDA has blown this out of proportion.

I hope you're right, and I think you're right. It would be stupid for them to do otherwise. But nothing would surprise me these days, and the idea of keeping a portfolio and submitting to enforced really chafes right now :glare:

I don't think HSLDA is overblowing it though. I think they're doing their job--reporting on a potentially negative development in state law regarding HSing and calling on constituents to fight it as quickly as possible. The earlier we're on it, the quicker we could quash it. (And again, as a liberal atheist, I'm no friend of the HSLDA! I just don't think they're being hysterical over this. They're a watchdog group, after all.)

:iagree:

Government interference has to start somewhere. I don't live in NJ I live in FL and we have to do portfolios and it I hate it. The cheapest I found was $25 a kid I have 3 kids that is a big chunk of change for me as a single mom. Physicals and all that junk, why should I have to do that? Why should I have to take time and money when my kid is not sick to hear some lecture about getting vaccinated blah blah blah.

Just so some doctor can say yeah your kid is healthy. It is annoying and time consuming. Fill out this, submit that etc etc. It is all just another way to aggravate us.

:iagree: You took the words right out of my mouth!

Well said:)!

I was interested in reading what HSLDF had to say until I got to this part:

Ironically, S3105 will likely put more children into the custody of

DYFS. Making the law more complicated creates many more traps for

parents. DYFS will therefore have many more opportunities to take

children away from their parents if S3105 is enacted. Forty-three

children died while under DYFS supervision during a recent year.

If you can't make your point without basically threatening not only that homeschooling parents will lose their children to the state but that those children might die....I start wondering if your point was all that valid to begin with.

Does the state of New Jersey require the submission of portfolios for students who attend traditional private schools? If the answer is NO, then they should not be required for students enrolled in private homeschools either.

States should hold private homeschools to the same level of regulation as traditional private schools. Either require porfolios, standardized testing, etc. for ALL private school students (including those enrolled in private homeschools) or require it for none.

Does the state of New Jersey require the submission of portfolios for students who attend traditional private schools? If the answer is NO, then they should not be required for students enrolled in private homeschools either.

States should hold private homeschools to the same level of regulation as traditional private schools. Either require porfolios, standardized testing, etc. for ALL private school students (including those enrolled in private homeschools) or require it for none.

However, many states have separate rules and regulations just for homeschoolers.

hello,,

I am a new Bee here,,and I didnt find a place to introduce myself,,so i have decided to do it here,,i am a mother of 4 homeschooling all my children,,I am a Christian,,a Branch of The Cross,,I decided to homeschool my children in the Bush era,,when I saw laws changing,,and understanding History,,going back 6000 yrs,,of history,,I am concerned,,at this time I do not believe HSLDA is over reacting,,do i believe HSLDA will prevent what is coming,,NO,,it is written In His Word,,prophecy is being fulfilled,,now,,just 2 weeks ago,,another prophecy has been fulfilled,,

I raise my children in His Word,,every Christian is commanded to bring their children up in The Word of God,,and so I do,,I fear Him,,I am not on a public school teaching,,so yes,,this law would effect me personally,,public school does not teach about the God Who Is,,and I believe at this time,,they are gathering information on everyone who believes differently then they,,

In Him

I was interested in reading what HSLDF had to say until I got to this part:

Ironically, S3105 will likely put more children into the custody of

DYFS. Making the law more complicated creates many more traps for

parents. DYFS will therefore have many more opportunities to take

children away from their parents if S3105 is enacted. Forty-three

children died while under DYFS supervision during a recent year.

If you can't make your point without basically threatening not only that homeschooling parents will lose their children to the state but that those children might die....I start wondering if your point was all that valid to begin with.

:iagree: Many states do regulate homeschooling, and while I wouldn't want to see more regulations added in whatever state I lived in, I'd prefer to find a rational argument against the regs. They're coming for your kids and then your kids will die, is not a rational argument IMO.

The language "including, but not limited to," which HSLDA quoted in their summary is what would scare me.

We're required to do a "portfolio of materials" that is even more vague. No one ever checks them because they have no staff and couldn't care less, but they have the right to under the law and it's completely unclear what in the world they could even force you to include in such a portfolio. Vague legislation just gives government agencies blanket power.

If you're in NJ and writing a letter or making a call, I would point out how much money this will cost. Every district will have to either take administrators or teachers away from other tasks and pay them to review these portfolios or employ people specifically to do so. That's money. And none of the states have any right now.

hello,,

I am a new Bee here,,and I didnt find a place to introduce myself,,so i have decided to do it here,,i am a mother of 4 homeschooling all my children,,I am a Christian,,a Branch of The Cross,,I decided to homeschool my children in the Bush era,,when I saw laws changing,,and understanding History,,going back 6000 yrs,,of history,,I am concerned,,at this time I do not believe HSLDA is over reacting,,do i believe HSLDA will prevent what is coming,,NO,,it is written In His Word,,prophecy is being fulfilled,,now,,just 2 weeks ago,,another prophecy has been fulfilled,,

I raise my children in His Word,,every Christian is commanded to bring their children up in The Word of God,,and so I do,,I fear Him,,I am not on a public school teaching,,so yes,,this law would effect me personally,,public school does not teach about the God Who Is,,and I believe at this time,,they are gathering information on everyone who believes differently then they,,

In Him

To what prophecies do you refer? Who is prophesying about HSLDA's activities?

I use two commas,,because i am not politically correct,,I do not believe i need to be,,and a Branch of The Cross,,is going back to the ancient of days,,The Early Church Fathers,,

as for the prophecy just being fulfilled,,Rev 13 is a reference to a re-organization of the tower,,after the uproot of 3 kings spoken of in the book of Daniel 7:24,,and in Daniel 11:43,,in todays time, ethiopia is sudan,,egypt,,and libya,,

Edited by mommyrooch

hello,,

In Him

Abee, why do you use two commas instead of other punctuation? And what is Branch of the Cross?

To what prophecies do you refer? Who is prophesying about HSLDA's activities?

I use two commas,,because i am not politically correct,,I do not believe i need to be,,and a Branch of The Cross,,is going back to the ancient of days,,The Early Church Fathers,,

as for the prophecy just being fulfilled,,Rev 13 is a reference to a re-organization of the tower,,after the uproot of 3 kings spoken of in the book of Daniel 7:24,,and in Daniel 11:43,,in todays time, ethiopia is sudan,,egypt,,and libya,,

Thank you for answering my questions.

And don't even think of passing something like this unless we are going to get tax deductions for what we spend to homeschool. In this state they will make homeschoolers pay for the cost of running such a program.

I have no problem really with the medical exam part... we do MD visits yearly. I really don't have a problem with yearly testing or a portfolio of my child's work. I do have a problem with them deciding whether or not it is good enough or needing to get their approval on what I teach. When public schooled kids can pass the standardized tests, then they can tell me what I can or can't teach.

Just so you know, we're in Florida too, and we enroll with a free umbrella school-it's fantastic and soooo easy. No cost at all. Just have to report attendance, that's it. PM Me if you want the name and web site of the "school". (and yes, it's totally legit in Florida.)

hello,,

In Him

Scary, that's all I can say. :001_huh:

Really? They don't in AZ in less you count head start. I would not want to see government mandated medical exams in my state. Not only is there the issue of cost (my family has been with out insurance more often then not), but it infringes upon my right to choose the kind of health care I deem appropriate. I want the right to choose what kinds of medical practitioners my family sees and when. Because there are criminals in society who would do harm is not a reason to limit my rights as a law abiding citizen (in this case my right to choose the kind of health care my family receives and when).

:iagree::iagree: I have not seen this stated so well before; I should memorize it!