Menu

Who do you bank with? Why do you like them>

In the process of leaving Bank of America. Thought I found lots of love at USAA, but that is not going to work due to their lack of concrete funds availability policy.

We have an account with PenFed, but I don't want to go with them for a checking account.

I've been to all the local banks in town this afternoon and every one of them is lacking in some way.

So who do you like.

In the process of leaving Bank of America. Thought I found lots of love at USAA, but that is not going to work due to their lack of concrete funds availability policy...........

I'm looking too, what does the above mean? I was getting ready to open an account with them because the credit union can't figure out how to make me an authorized user on our joint account:confused: PITA when I am the only one who deals with any issues that crop up due to work schedules.

Find a local credit union. I bet you'll be quite thrilled. They're customer owned, not corporation owned, so you don't deal with all the ick banks have been dealing with in the last few years (no bailout money, for one).

We used to use ING for our savings accounts, but their interest rates dropped through the floor, while our credit union's has stayed consistent. In ours, it's 6% on the first $500. For checking, they offer everything the "big banks" do with more personal/local service. HTH!

... the credit union can't figure out how to make me an authorized user on our joint account:confused: PITA when I am the only one who deals with any issues that crop up due to work schedules.

Well now, that's weird! Can you go online and register your own user account?

I'm looking too, what does the above mean? I was getting ready to open an account with them because the credit union can't figure out how to make me an authorized user on our joint account:confused: PITA when I am the only one who deals with any issues that crop up due to work schedules.

The currently have my $75 on hold even though the funds have left BOA. This money won't be available until Saturday. Not too much of a big deal, but a PITA nonetheless.

Then when I talked to them today I asked about any other type of transfers. For example if my mom transferred money from her account from her bank in GA to my USAA account. They do not have a solid policy as to when those funds would be available. It could be the next day. It could be 3 or 5 or 7 days.

It all depends on my account history as to when funds would be available. It took me 3 representatives (I finally got an executive rep to tell me the truth.) and 20 minutes of my time to find this information out.

As far as I'm concerned that is no way to bank. So I'm looking again.

We use a local county bank - it's been in business for 150+ years and we like that when they make lending decisions, it's around a table with the board, not just a computer algorithm determining the thumbs-up or down.

I like that our bank fees are reasonable and that checks clear when funds may not be available (but were deposited) without any fees. I also like that checks clear very quickly - always within 24 hours, even out of state checks - I used to hate having to wait while the larger bank we used kited our money!

It's nice to go into the branch we use and the tellers and managers know us, by name...makes it seem nicer, like it's not just a bank. We're not bombarded with offers, or solicited to try other bank products, and if there is a problem, they actually call to ask about what's what (ie. when I was pregnant, paying the mortgage slipped my mind and they called to remind me two days BEFORE it would be considered late and reported to the credit bureau....not only saving me a hit on the credit score, but also saving me late fees - what big bank does that? I just had them debit the account since the money was there and it was an oversight)

What I wish they'd get into this century with is paying our mortgage online, but I can live with having to go to the bank to do that, not really a big deal, at least I can check balances and see account activity online (couldn't when we first opened our accounts five years ago, so we're making progress).

Find a local credit union. I bet you'll be quite thrilled. They're customer owned, not corporation owned, so you don't deal with all the ick banks have been dealing with in the last few years (no bailout money, for one).

We used to use ING for our savings accounts, but their interest rates dropped through the floor, while our credit union's has stayed consistent. In ours, it's 6% on the first $500. For checking, they offer everything the "big banks" do with more personal/local service. HTH!

I went to the local CU today. That was not pleasant. When the lady started talking about overdraft protection I asked if it worked like a loan and required a hit to the credit report. Her entire demeanor changed. As if I were some kind of deadbeat without decent credit until I explained that we were trying to keep the dings to inquiries to a minimum so we can get a better FICO score and be able to get a better mortgage interest rate in a year or so.

Not going there.

I went to the local CU today. That was not pleasant. When the lady started talking about overdraft protection I asked if it worked like a loan and required a hit to the credit report. Her entire demeanor changed. As if I were some kind of deadbeat without decent credit until I explained that we were trying to keep the dings to inquiries to a minimum so we can get a better FICO score and be able to get a better mortgage interest rate in a year or so.

Not going there.

Okay, although I wouldn't let one gal's reply change how I feel about an entire organization**. We have a line of credit set up against our checking account so that if we go in the red the LOC kicks in and covers it instead of us getting charged huge overdraft charges. Best thing that ever happened to my banking (other than online banking -- no more balancing the checkbook!). Is that what you're talking about? It didn't hurt our credit scores at all. We've done this for years (and use it probably a couple of times a month), and got a loan with very high credit scores a year ago.

** ETA: Oh, wait. Maybe I would. Someone on here recommended Amica Insurance to me a few weeks ago, and the gal I spoke to on the phone was a bit uppity because I'd filled out the online form in a way she didn't appreciate, so I didn't go with them based on that experience (and their rates). So I do understand!

Okay, although I wouldn't let one gal's reply change how I feel about an entire organization. We have a line of credit set up against our checking account so that if we go in the red the LOC kicks in and covers it instead of us getting charged huge overdraft charges. Best thing that ever happened to my banking (other than online banking -- no more balancing the checkbook!). Is that what you're talking about? It didn't hurt our credit scores at all. We've done this for years (and use it probably a couple of times a month), and got a loan with very high credit scores a year ago.

Yes, that is a similar set up.

I probably should not let her attitude sway our decision, but she was also a teller so I have a 50/50 chance (there were two tellers) of having to deal with her on a regular basis. I've been at the other end of the credit rating so I know what it is like to be looked upon as less by financial people because of hard times. I don't want to deal with people like that.

And we do have a credit union account with Pen Fed. I don't like their checking.

I suppose I'm being picky since I can afford to be picky.

Chase - have had no problems with them ever.

Thanks. I have a CC with them. I'll see what they are up to.

ETA: Nope, they won't let me get past entering my ZIP code. Apparently I'm not in the correct location to use them for checking.

Edited by Parrothead

Chase - have had no problems with them ever.

:iagree:

We switched over to them because they offered a free $200 if we set up direct deposit with them. I'm all over free money! Anyway, during the course of that couple of months, we found their on-line banking to be so much easier than our other bank. I love that I can see my CC balances and statements (all Chase), my mortgage, and other bills right on their site.

Also, they called US when they saw we qualified for a lower interest rate on our mortgage. It was one of those that we didn't need an appraisal done and didn't cost us anything. I forget what that was called. Anyway, we switched from a 30 to a 20 year mortgage and our payment is the same. We were SO happy!!!

Everything is free because of the money in all our accounts.

. Thought I found lots of love at USAA, but that is not going to work due to their lack of concrete funds availability policy.

What do you mean by this? We've been with USAA since 1996 and never had a problem with our funds being available and we've made huge withdrawls. We had to call to get them to up our withdrawl limit on our ATM cards (they are usually capped at $400/day) and that's done within 10 minutes. My debit card was eaten by an ATM in Paris a few years back. I called them, as I had no access to other funds (I was alone and while I had some cash on me, I stupidly didn't bring my credit card). I was freaking out. They offered to express me a new card TO PARIS. I had the card within 2 days. That is serious customer service.

What do you mean by this? We've been with USAA since 1996 and never had a problem with our funds being available and we've made huge withdrawls. We had to call to get them to up our withdrawl limit on our ATM cards (they are usually capped at $400/day) and that's done within 10 minutes. My debit card was eaten by an ATM in Paris a few years back. I called them, as I had no access to other funds (I was alone and while I had some cash on me, I stupidly didn't bring my credit card). I was freaking out. They offered to express me a new card TO PARIS. I had the card within 2 days. That is serious customer service.

See post #7.

I thought it was a done deal until today. Now I want out.

Yep, we use our local credit union and also left Bank of America. Much happier with the credit union.

In the process of leaving Bank of America.

Just out of curiosity, can you say why you're leaving BOA? (I understand if it's too private.) I'm a long-time BOA customer, and while I don't feel any real loyalty, I wonder - am I missing something? Maybe I'm humming along and not getting the same types of services as people who bank elsewhere, and don't realize it.

I do almost all my banking online: I can see all my accounts on their website, I transfer funds between accounts, pay all my bills, etc. What do other banks (or CUs) do differently?

We just switched to a locally owned bank. We use the credit union from DH's job for most things, but we wanted a local bank as well.

It is difficult to switch since we had to change all of our automatic deductions, but the bank we left, BB&T, wanted to charge us a new $10 per month fee just because DH no longer has his paycheck wired to our checking account. Ughhh, no thank you.

The currently have my $75 on hold even though the funds have left BOA. This money won't be available until Saturday. Not too much of a big deal, but a PITA nonetheless.

Then when I talked to them today I asked about any other type of transfers. For example if my mom transferred money from her account from her bank in GA to my USAA account. They do not have a solid policy as to when those funds would be available. It could be the next day. It could be 3 or 5 or 7 days.

It all depends on my account history as to when funds would be available. It took me 3 representatives (I finally got an executive rep to tell me the truth.) and 20 minutes of my time to find this information out.

This is actually fairly common in banking. Every bank or credit union we have ever used has had similar policies.

I haven't read any of the replies, but I wanted to pipe up and say that I'm with USAA and they used to do this to me, as well. After about a year (maybe less), they stopped doing that. I no longer get any kind of holds on my transfers. Perhaps it's a matter of proving good standing with them or having a savings account?

ETA: Nevermind...I missed the last part of your message. Sorry.

This is actually fairly common in banking. Every bank or credit union we have ever used has had similar policies.

What most financial institutions have is a solid funds availability policy. It is posted when one enters the bank in a prominent place. Funds will be available on day __.

That is what I want. A solid policy whether it is day of, next day, 5, 10 or 14 days. Not "we don't know."

I've been with ING for 6 or 7 years so far and I love them. Their customer service is fantastic. I love their online bill pay and we've never had any problems with it. The only downside is that you have to mail checks to deposit them. Instead, we keep a local CU account (free through work) that we use to deposit checks. It's linked to the ING account so we can transfer funds easily.

I haven't read any of the replies, but I wanted to pipe up and say that I'm with USAA and they used to do this to me, as well. After about a year (maybe less), they stopped doing that. I no longer get any kind of holds on my transfers. Perhaps it's a matter of proving good standing with them or having a savings account?

ETA: Nevermind...I missed the last part of your message. Sorry.

I don't think savings has anything to do with it. I opened both a checking and savings the same day.

We switched from Chase when they changed their policies on how you could avoid monthly checking account fees. The only way we could have avoided the fee was by having all of our money in savings put into our checking account at all times. Not happening.

We are currently with Wells Fargo, though I'm rather hesitant about it. I keep hearing rumors of how they can be not-so-great to people. Still, they've treated us well so far and DH likes them. We need a bank with local locations because we deal with a lot of cash, since DH is a waiter, so we didn't consider online banks.

I've looked at banks and CUs all day. I cannot find one comparable to USAA and all they offer. After speaking to dh about it and talking to my IRL friends (2 of which also use USAA) and considering what Slone07 said (post 26?) we are going to just go with USAA and open another no fee local checking account where we have a savings account.

That will allow any transfers if they are needed to not be on hold an undefined amount of time as they will go to the local account instead of the USAA account.

Thanks for all your input.

We use a local county bank - it's been in business for 150+ years and we like that when they make lending decisions, it's around a table with the board, not just a computer algorithm determining the thumbs-up or down.

I like that our bank fees are reasonable and that checks clear when funds may not be available (but were deposited) without any fees. I also like that checks clear very quickly - always within 24 hours, even out of state checks - I used to hate having to wait while the larger bank we used kited our money!

It's nice to go into the branch we use and the tellers and managers know us, by name...makes it seem nicer, like it's not just a bank. We're not bombarded with offers, or solicited to try other bank products

:iagree: We use local here. Love it!

In the process of leaving Bank of America. Thought I found lots of love at USAA, but that is not going to work due to their lack of concrete funds availability policy.

We have an account with PenFed, but I don't want to go with them for a checking account.

I've been to all the local banks in town this afternoon and every one of them is lacking in some way.

So who do you like.

We only use credit unions. There are no basic fees. You don't get charged to use your own money unless you use an ATM that is not in the CU Anytime network, pretty rare here as well as the other places we've lived.

I've looked at banks and CUs all day. I cannot find one comparable to USAA and all they offer. After speaking to dh about it and talking to my IRL friends (2 of which also use USAA) and considering what Slone07 said (post 26?) we are going to just go with USAA and open another no fee local checking account where we have a savings account.

That will allow any transfers if they are needed to not be on hold an undefined amount of time as they will go to the local account instead of the USAA account.

Thanks for all your input.

We've been with USAA for decades and never heard of this policy. Hasn't ever been applied to us. We've always had funds available within a business day or two even when transferred from another bank/CU.

We bank with USAA and a CU attached to the large uni in my area. The CU has branches all over the country; but, I don't know if one still needs to somehow be associated with the university to open an account.

The only time my money was held was when I had a large check over several thousand dollars. A set amount was immediately available and the rest was held till the check cleared. No biggie in my book. I wasn't planning on doing anything right away with that money. Our paycheck always is a day early and our previous bank would hold it a day even though it was the same bank our employer used.

You will be happy with USAA.

What most financial institutions have is a solid funds availability policy. It is posted when one enters the bank in a prominent place. Funds will be available on day __.

That is what I want. A solid policy whether it is day of, next day, 5, 10 or 14 days. Not "we don't know."

Yes, that was what I was thinking of.... not a "we don't know". Mine says "Not more than X days"....

We've used a small regional bank for the last few years, and we love it. There are no fees, and if I use another bank's atm, my bank will actually refund the fee to my account. The tellers know me and my dd by name, and are always friendly and spend a few minutes chatting. They also have a huge bin of cloth grocery bags for customers to take, which rocks.

I've used both US Bank and Wells Fargo. Never again. US Bank once tried to charge me over a hundred dollars in fees because my account was overdrawn by- I kid you not- one cent. Wells Fargo closed an empty checking account because I hadn't used it in a few months, but then let me deposit money into it without telling me it had been closed. When I tried to use the money and was unable to, they told me my several hundred dollars would just be gone unless I had my receipt from the deposit. Which, luckily, I did.

In both instances with the big banks, they were unfailingly rude and cold to me.