Menu

And then there's ketchup...

Other than french fries, hot dogs, and hamburgers, I don't believe there is any legal use for the stuff.

What do *you* put ketchup on? And why???

I once made, from scratch, enchilada crepes, for a friend and her dh who came over for dinner. She got up from the table and searched out the ketchup.:glare: Another friend did something similar. I now have a short list of people from whom I hide the ketchup when they come over to eat:D

Scrambled eggs, tater tots/hashbrowns, hashbrown casserole, corn dogs, meatloaf, onion rings, raw onion, patty melts. My daughter also thinks it goes well with mashed potatoes and steak, but I don't share her conviction.

Many fried potato things go well with ketchup.

I like it on burgers (never on hot dogs!!)

I put a little in meatloaf, but recently I've started to use either salsa or some other tomato product instead.

I can't think of anything else that I'd want ketchup on.

Not for hot dogs (these require mustard) and only rarely for hamburgers (only when miracle whip {ducking} or mayo {last resort} aren't available. I do use ketchup in/on my meatloaf, and in my homeade sloppy joe's. Sounds bad, but it's really good! The only other thing we use it for is homeade BBQ sauce (which I don't make very often). Oh, and the kids use it on chicken nuggets.

Hmm, I guess it has more uses than I thought. :001_smile:

burgers, hash browns, tater tots, tater logs, fries, fish, fish sticks, steak, chicken, pork chops. I put a little in vegetable soup. Ds uses it on his taco salad instead of salsa!!

:eek: Steak? :svengo: That's just. just. well, WRONG! :leaving:

I am a ketchup adict lol.

Basically any kind of meat calls for ketchup. Burgers, steaks, even venison lol. And eggs need ketchup. And all kinds of potatoes. And mushrooms. And onion rings. And fried fish. And calamari. That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure there is more :)

I think its because ketchup is very sweet, and I love sugary food.

On the other hand, my DH thinks that ketchup on hot dogs instead of mustard is kin to heresy. :lol:

That's funny. We knew a guy in college who said that ketchup on a hot dog was Communist. :001_huh: :tongue_smilie:

My kids, especially ds, use it on all their meats. I use it on eggs and burgers, hotdogs only. My ds hates tomatoes but loves ketchup. Can you say sugar? He is 18 and still eats it with his steak. LOL!

And fried fish. And calamari. That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure there is more :)

They put it on steaks and I stayed silent.

Then they put it on chicken and I stayed silent.

But when they put it on fish and even calamari I could stay silent no more.

Some things are just plain wrong!!!:willy_nilly:

:p

Where is your DH from? I once heard this is a regional thing. I too think anything other than mustard is kin to heresy!

During college I worked at a place called Gold Coast Dogs in Chicago and always had to clarify if "everything" included catsup or not. In Chicago it most definitely does not, but where I grew up (Pittsburgh) it did. Of course, since Heinz is also from Pittsburgh, I grew up putting catsup on way too many things! I have since seen the light and realize that it doesn't belong on much. We try to limit it to fries, burgers and hotdogs. (Unless they're Chicago-style with all the trimmings and then we keep the catsup under lock and key!);)

I *only* eat ketchup with french fries... I can *understand* having it with other fried (or baked-to-seem-like-fried) potato products, and I'm not totally grossed out by ketchup on hotdogs or hamburgers (though I don't choose to do that myself). Anything else? No. It's pretty much a single-purpose condiment. ;)

I *only* eat ketchup with french fries... I can *understand* having it with other fried (or baked-to-seem-like-fried) potato products, and I'm not totally grossed out by ketchup on hotdogs or hamburgers (though I don't choose to do that myself). Anything else? No. It's pretty much a single-purpose condiment. ;)

:iagree:

I purposely never put it on any of my dc's food. I decided that if they were going to become ketchup fans they'd have to do it when they got to be grown-ups, and that my guidance in their formative years would keep them from making grave errors in food judgment.:D

I purposely never put it on any of my dc's food. I decided that if they were going to become ketchup fans they'd have to do it when they got to be grown-ups, and that my guidance in their formative years would keep them from making grave errors in food judgment.:D

It just never occurred to me to give it to them in any context other than next to french fries. I mean, why?! I remember having a friend who flipped out at her husband because he introduced their 2yo to ketchup for her fries in a restaurant. My friend was convinced that once a child tasted ketchup, they would insist on putting it on everything... Well, so far there's no problem here. They use it on french fries, and maybe hotdogs, but they're hardly dousing their dinner in the stuff. lol... ick!

I like ketchup on scrambled eggs, and for anything battered and fried (chicken fried steak or chicken, fried fish). I put it on meatloaf before baking. I don't put it on hot dogs. I have a friend who puts ketchup on baked potatoes, and my dd likes to dip potato chips in ketchup (I guess both of those taste like french fries w/ ketchup). I mix it with horseradish and worsteshire (sp!) sauce and lemon juice for a good seafood sauce. I also use it as a base for homemade bbq sauce.

We eat a lot of ketchup around here! LOL

My oldest dd loves ketchup. She puts it on sandwiches, fries, hot dogs - anything she thinks could use a bit.

I like it on fries, and occasionally hot dogs with lots of other stuff on them too. Otherwise just mustard, thanks.

My dad puts ketchup on eggs - bleah. But then, he also puts grape jelly on grilled cheese sandwiches, so no one's judging "normal" by his dietary choices, LOL!

Other than french fries, hot dogs, and hamburgers, I don't believe there is any legal use for the stuff.

What do *you* put ketchup on? And why???

I once made, from scratch, enchilada crepes, for a friend and her dh who came over for dinner. She got up from the table and searched out the ketchup.:glare: Another friend did something similar. I now have a short list of people from whom I hide the ketchup when they come over to eat:D

What's wrong with mustard? Why didn't you mention mustard? Surely you must believe in mustard? 4 pages on ketchup, mustard deserves it's fair turn as well. I don't use ketchup, I don't like ketchup, I'm not sure I believe in ketchup. I do keep it in my house as other members of my household believe in ketchup. I much prefer mustard. :tongue_smilie:

We buy ketchup by the case! It is organic with only a few ingredients. It is so yummy. We use it on fake chicken nuggets that are really made out of mushrooms or something. Scrambled eggs. The usual acceptable foods.

I saw a bio on Heinz who invented ketchup (duh!) His first attempt was made out of creamed fish. Blech. Blech. Blech. Also, the 57 varieties part was not because he had 57 items for sale, he actually had more. He just thought 57 sounded more catchy than 63 or whatever it was.

Eat your ketchup!:lol:

Guest Katia

I love ketchup! It makes any food taste better and foods you don't like will actually go down with ketchup on it.

I can't STAND lemonade, but I can drink it with ketchup stirred in it. No joke.

Ketchup lovers unite!

I put catsup on meatloaf before I cook it, and in the mixture. Sometimes, I squirt it into the pot roast broth to add flavor to the eventual gravy. I put it on cheeseburgers and sometimes on French fries.

DH puts catsup on meat and fish, including hot dogs and filet mignon.

The kids put it on hamburgers and fries, except that one DS will not eat any condiments.

I think catsup on hotdogs is gross.