Menu

What does it mean when someone says they are sending

positive thoughts or just sending thoughts to someone? I promise I am not being snarky or trying to irritate anyone. I think you all know me enough to know that. When I've asked for prayers, some people have said they are sending me (and others who've asked) positive thoughts. I SINCERELY appreciate that! Really! But I was wondering what exactly that means. If you prefer to pm me, that would be welcome as well.

Thank you!! :001_smile:

I think it can mean different things…for some people, it might be a way of saying "I'm sorry that you're facing difficulty and I'll be thinking of you" or other similar sentiments… for others, it may mean that they are indeed 'sending' positive energy/etc your way.

I think you'd have to ask individual people as to what they mean when THEY say it.

I always figured that they were hoping the best for that person.

Yep, also that they likely don't pray or believe in God so they are sending you positive vibes. I believe in prayer, but I also believe that the power of people believing or being positive in something has energy, too.

It may mean that they don't believe in gods, God, or supernatural beings of any sort—and may or may not actually believe in "postive energy"—but that they still have compassion and caring for other people.

It is a way to express their hope that another's situation will improve and (at the least) that the other person will know they are in your thoughts.

Bill

It may mean that they don't believe in gods, God, or supernatural beings of any sort—and may or may not actually believe in "postive energy"—but that they still have compassion and caring for other people.

It is a way to express their hope that another's situation will improve and (at the least) that the other person will know they are in your thoughts.

Bill

:iagree:

Bill

I think Bill's explanation is very well stated.

Faith

Yep, also that they likely don't pray or believe in God so they are sending you positive vibes. I believe in prayer, but I also believe that the power of people believing or being positive in something has energy, too.

Well - I say that and I pray and believe in God.

The difference is that I do not believe in those sorts of prayers. I believe in prayers of thanks only. So - I send positive thoughts rather than prayers.

I think it can also be the opposite - that they do believe in God but either don't know if the other person does or knows they don't so they don't want to put the word "prayer" out there when it might cause discomfort.

ETA: The Quakers have an expression I like (they do have the best ones) called "holding someone in the light" which is another one that seems to involve less commitment for some people - the light can be "the light of God" (the original meaning) but I've heard many people interpret it as simply meaning "into the forefront of my thoughts" or simply "the positive and the good."

Edited by farrarwilliams

I am so glad you asked this. I have often wondered what was intended by this is well. After reading what some opinions are it make a lot more sense now. I used to feel like it meant that person wasn't a praying individual. After reading this though, I feel totally differently. Thanks for sharing.

For me it means that I am thinking of you, and possibly saying a prayer, but mostly I am trying to "be there" in mind and spirit, if I cannot physically support you. Some journeys you must make alone, but it is nice to know that you have the support of someone else in spirit at least.

Edited by Lara in Colo

In my case, I'm not Christian or particularly religious. If you asked for prayers, I wouldn't say I'm sending prayers, because I'm not, really. But if I still want you to know that I care about what you are going through and I am thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome for you, I will say I am sending positive thoughts.

Bill

That's how I use it. I don't claim to speak for others, but that's my intention. I am aware that you or your family is going through a rough time. I am thinking or will be thinking of you, and hoping things improve, for example.

Lot of the PP have explained it well, but one thing I've seen done that is different: One of my friends, when she says she's sending positive thoughts out for a person, she does a 'random act of kindness' to literally SEND the positivity out. Sort of a good karma butterfly effect. :) And when she can, the act of kindness is at least related to what the person is facing. My friend is not religious, per se, but this is her way of upholding a person.

When *I* say it, I usually say that I'm sending positive &/or praying (and my friends know that whatever else I'm doing, praying *is* part of it). For my friends for whom prayer is not part of their faith journey, they're still OK with it, because they know that there's a lot of positive thoughts involved too (after all, can you honestly pray positivity into a situation and do it w/ negative thoughts? honestly?) Even my most staunch atheist friends "get it" and get a giggle out of my occasional "Halleluia" when things go well. As one gal put it 'right sentiment, wrong house' :) (and yes, I have asked to make sure they are not offended. NOT ONE has been. maybe I'm lucky and have good friends *shrug*)

I use it sometimes with people I don't know well enough to know if they appreciate prayers. I also use it if I am thinking good thoughts right that second as I am reading, but that I probably am not going to even remember them when I pray because I am spacey like that. I have formal prayers that I pray, long informal prayer in the shower or car, and somedays I don't pray at all. But when I right that I am sending good thoughts it is because I am thinking them write that second while I am typing.

Edited by In2why
Right Vs. Write.....too many things happening here lol

positive thoughts or just sending thoughts to someone? I promise I am not being snarky or trying to irritate anyone. I think you all know me enough to know that. When I've asked for prayers, some people have said they are sending me (and others who've asked) positive thoughts. I SINCERELY appreciate that! Really! But I was wondering what exactly that means. If you prefer to pm me, that would be welcome as well.

Thank you!! :001_smile:

If I say that I mean it in the same sense of well-wishing as when a religious person says "I'm praying for you." I would be disingenuous of me to say "I'm praying for you" when I don't believe in gods. So, I send you my positive thoughts and well-wishes.

If it does happen to offend someone, I am not offended if they ask me not to send positive thoughts for them. Similarly, I would hope they are not offended if I ask them not to pray for me.

Edited by Audrey

"Dad sends his love" in a letter. It doesn't mean anything, really, except a reminder that Dad loves you and asks after you and is always here thinking about you.

If I say, "Sending you positive thoughts" it means I feel sympathy/affection/concern for you and hope you are okay and I want you to KNOW I feel that way. It doesn't mean I don't believe in God. That seems like a strange conclusion.