1 member has voted

1. 1. Best one?

• God's Design for Life Science
    • Elemental Science Biology
    • Mr. Q's Life Science
    • R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey
    • Real Science-4-Kids
    • Other

We will be doing Mr. Q. Cost was an issue with us but I also love the look. I've got a young soon to be first grader so I like the look of Mr. Q alot.

ETA: we almost went with Real Science Odyssey but will probably evaluate how Mr. Q works and then either buy them for second or stick with Mr. Q

ETA2: dd also likes worksheets/workbooks lol

Edited by jillian

My disclaimer is I have only done Real Science 4 Kids on that list, but we did like it quite a bit. I did it with my now 4th grader, who ripped through it pretty fast though. It was colorful, well-written, nicely done. But it only lasted a short time, and he was able to go through it with complete comprehension. I plan it for my 1st grader later in the year. I didn't do the "cogs" with it, but did do the experiments. I do recommend it.

We have also done Sonlight science in first grade - too skippy around for me.

We are working on Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding Vol 1 right now with my 1st grader, and that is the right fit for my kid at this point - gentle but thorough. I realize you didn't ask about that one but wanted to throw that out there.

My disclaimer is I have only done Real Science 4 Kids on that list, but we did like it quite a bit.

We are working on Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding Vol 1 right now with my 1st grader, and that is the right fit for my kid at this point - gentle but thorough. I realize you didn't ask about that one but wanted to throw that out there.

:iagree:

God's Design for Life Science link

Elemental Science Biology for Grammar stage link

Mr. Q Classic Life Science link

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey link My Vote!

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-level 1 Biology link

Which of these would you recommend? Which would you say to avoid?

We are doing the Science Odyssey chemistry now, and it is great! I have not tried their biology, but I can attest to the format and overall program. The teaching is well done and the experiments (in chemistry) have all been a hit. We just went though atomic mass, and it is actually making sense to my 3rd and 4th graders.

We went though animal and human biology with The Great Science Adventure Series. It works really well with children who are crafty. You make lapbooks/graphic organizers every step of the way. We enjoyed this program as well. Dd retained a lot!

I"m actually just following TWTM rec's of animal study for 20 weeks, plant study for 10, and human body for 6 (something like that.).

I just followed what's in the book.

This is exactly what Elemental Science does and it is all laid out for me, nice notebooking pages, so easy to use. It is light, but perfect for first grade...

I did REAL SO, but it only took about a month. Kids love biology. I used all the resources in WTM AND RSO and field trips and many books. We also did dissection of both preserved specimens and fresh caught fish (and plants).

Plants and animals are a 1st grader's natural partners.

Elemental Science Biology for Grammar stage link

Mr. Q Classic Life Science link

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey link

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-level 1 Biology link

I have the later 3.

RS4K pre I bio is very light and not a lot content. It might be good as introduction

RSO is what we are using as "spine" now. It again does not have a lot meat, but I like the sequence all planned out.

Mr.Q is free. Can't beat that.

Elemental science. I look through the samples, The curriculum itself doesn't have any content, Only the sequence and book pages to read. So I bought the reference book.

mix them all together, I am doing RSO as spine , I use RS4K level I as light reading reading when RSO cover the same topic, and occasionally use their workbook. and I add the Mr.Q's activity and adding the reference material from both Elemental and Neon science. and also I use brain pop on line movies.

I go a lot slower than the RSO's plan but that is ok as long as the kids like it.

We've recently started Mr. Q's Life Science and are really liking it, enough that at this point I plan on buying it next year. We started the year with Apologia Botany. My first grader was so bored and the journaling was not going over, even with me doing the writing. I don't have any experience with the others listed.

We are doing RS4K Biology Prelevel 1. As mentioned, it is not a lot of content, but I think it is a perfect amount for a first grader. We are doing it over a full year. We do two sections a week, sometimes that means half a page of reading a day. BUT he is remembering and understanding EVERYTHING. We memorize every term, and process in the book. By going slowly, he is really getting it. Next year, we will move faster and do Chemistry on semester and physics the next.

I"m actually just following TWTM rec's of animal study for 20 weeks, plant study for 10, and human body for 6 (something like that.).

I just followed what's in the book.

If this is what you want, Elemental Science does a great job of fleshing this out! I've used it before and revisiting it again with my younger 2 this year. It's going great!:001_smile:

If this is what you want, Elemental Science does a great job of fleshing this out! I've used it before and revisiting it again with my younger 2 this year. It's going great!:001_smile:

Thanks for this; we're doing some pretty heavy afterschooling in preparation for full-time homeschooling next year.

I work full-time and really need some hand-holding in areas like this since time is so limited; we're concentrating more on Language Arts and Math, but I know my DS would love it if I added in some basic science.

I have BFSU but every time I open the book, it's a little overwhelming at this point. All we've been able to handle right now is reading a section of the Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia once a week or so.

Elemental Science looks like a nice, simple-to-follow program that Squeaky will enjoy.

I bought Elemental Science and sold it.

We haven't used anything except RSO and we love it!

It follows the WTM recs, but is amost all hands-on. Easy to do. We have yet to purchase any special supplies for itand we're 10 weeks in. We tend to be bookish and the up and doing dynamic is a good change and helps 4 yo DS participate. They seem to be retaining what we've done so far and enjoying it immensely.

Good basic intro to scientific method, language and information in a kid friendly format. Not too much work for me. ;)

We are doing RS4K Biology Prelevel 1. As mentioned, it is not a lot of content, but I think it is a perfect amount for a first grader. We are doing it over a full year. We do two sections a week, sometimes that means half a page of reading a day. BUT he is remembering and understanding EVERYTHING. We memorize every term, and process in the book. By going slowly, he is really getting it. Next year, we will move faster and do Chemistry on semester and physics the next.

Sounds pretty good to me.

I vote for lots of nature study with the Let's Read and Find Out series. If you really want to purchase something, I would add BFSU.

I concur. My dd4 will be 5 and in K next year, and we're going to be doing nature study and Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU). I'm thinking of adding Singapore Earlybird Science for worksheets (dd likes worksheets), but that may not be necessary. BFSU goes from K-2, so using it in first grade is great. I spread it out in three years with my son.

For first grade I wouldn't worry about a formal science program, but focus on reading and writing.

That said all my guys have enjoyed science for fun. I'd focus on animal studies (life cycles, food chains) and good old reading about different topics.

This is exactly what Elemental Science does and it is all laid out for me, nice notebooking pages, so easy to use. It is light, but perfect for first grade...

We are using Elemental Science: Biology. Schedule laid out for you in 4 day or 2 day. Has all the notebooking pages for you, all the supplemental books listed that you'll need and for how long you'll need them. Great experiements.

I bought Elemental Science: Chemistry for next year and excited.

The only issue I had with this original purchase of Elemental Science was the supplemental books are the spine of the program. Without the books you CAN'T start this curriculum.

With my oldest, I had NO money in the budget for science so we just used library resources. It was fine, but I wish that I had known about Mr. Q Life Science (if it was even available back then). We're really enjoying it this time through the cycle and I plan to continue on with the series.

We are using RS4K but level 1 (along with older child), not pre-level. But I add a lot; RS4K is only 10 weeks of lessons. It's gone very well, because it's light, and we only use it as a jumping off point with lots of nonfiction library books and living books.

I have found I greatly dislike a very structured program for the younger grades. Mr. Q looks interesting; I only recently learned about that one. But I've tried ES, BFSU, RSO, Apologia, and looked at SL and a few others. It goes much better and they learn much more when we are more "free form" with science.

We are doing Christian kids Explore Biology next year with my 1st and 2nd graders. I had planned on doing Gods Design series but we started the physics book this year and that was way over dd 4th's head. I didn't want to chance that with the Life Science books because ds 1st this year who will be my 2nd grader doing it has some learning issues. I have the CKE Biology and I am very excited about this! It looks VERY thorough and has awesome looking projects :001_smile: It also has a great reading list!! We do it daily so we can spend more time on read alouds and not feel so rushed. Its very relaxed this way and works out well like this!