Menu

Another thread about forgetting to pay for something at the grocery store

I wanted you to know that I read your post and appreciate you sharing. I've opened up crackers to feed fussy toddlers and paid later. I never thought anything of it. It makes tons of sense that the store would rather me be able to stay longer in order to buy more in the end. It seems to me that if that were *not* O.K. with the store then the cashiers would be instructed to say something at the register when ringing up opened merchandise or empty packages. Or that the store would post signs saying please don't eat in the store!

Yes, that is the point i meant to make earlier. Many of us have stated in this thread that we have eaten/let our children eat and paid for the empty wrapper at checkout. IF it were not okay then somewhere along the way some cashier would have called a manager over to "give us good talking to". Apparently, to many stores not only is it NOT considered theft, THEY ACTUALLY WANT YOU TO CONSUME IN-STORE as it keeps people there longer, thereby increasing their profits.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 'eating before paying' is actually breaking any lawsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ you haven't stolen from the store until you *leave the premises* Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.you can walk around with a bunch of junk shoved down your pants all day - they can't touch you unless you attempt to leave with it, far as I understandĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ so as long as you pay for that coke/etc before leaving, you haven't stolen.

I don't think 'eating before paying' is actually breaking any lawsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ you haven't stolen from the store until you *leave the premises* Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.you can walk around with a bunch of junk shoved down your pants all day - they can't touch you unless you attempt to leave with it, far as I understandĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ so as long as you pay for that coke/etc before leaving, you haven't stolen.

Difference being, you can always put the things in your pockets back on the shelf before leaving.

If you've consumed the item, you can't.

Difference being, you can always put the things in your pockets back on the shelf before leaving.

You can, however, still pay for it.

If the store manager (who stands in for the owner of the store) has given permission to his or her customers to eat/use goods before paying for them, and the law allows for it, how CAN it be stealing? Stealing is taking without right or permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LidiyaDawn

I don't think 'eating before paying' is actually breaking any laws… you haven't stolen from the store until you *leave the premises* ….you can walk around with a bunch of junk shoved down your pants all day - they can't touch you unless you attempt to leave with it, far as I understand… so as long as you pay for that coke/etc before leaving, you haven't stolen.

Actually, I'm pretty sure concealment is considered shoplifting, at least in MD.

I know that most places here that have serve yourself bars (salad, soup, olives, bulk dry goods) have a sign that says something to the effect that "sampling is stealing" because they cannot exact payment for an already consumed by-weight item. Otherwise, they don't care. So, my kids are welcome to nosh on bananas while shopping at Trader Joes (sold by the banana) but not anywhere else (sold by the lb).

I'm very glad my local Giant had very understanding staff when the boys were young because I accidentally stole a carton of eggs every.single.time I went shopping for a couple of years. Didn't matter where I put them, I would discover them when I was loading the car, haul everyone back in and pay for them. Maybe it helped that I always looked completely strung out. ;)

Wait, it's not clear that consuming and leaving w/o paying is stealing? :confused:

I didn't word that right....I mean before they go to the trouble to start prosecuting every person who leaves w/o paying (regardless of intent) that they would START with clearly stating that it is against policy (and the law if that is true) to consume before paying.

Actually, I'm pretty sure concealment is considered shoplifting, at least in MD.

I can't remember all the stuff, but when I interviewed for a LPO job years ago there was a list of things that had to be witnessed firstĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ none of them alone were good enough - I think the person had to be seen taking, concealing, and attempting to leave.. otherwise, they could claim they already had the item when they came in, they intended to pay (hands were full/using phone/etc so they stuck it in their bag for a second), etcĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

I think a lot of this stuff just needs common sense from everyone. Pregnant lady who ate a sandwich while shopping and then forgot to pay for that one little thing = prolly not stealing anything. Guy who shoved the frozen legs of lamb under his sweatshirt and ran out the door shivering? Yeah go grab him.

I think a lot of this stuff just needs common sense from everyone. Pregnant lady who ate a sandwich while shopping and then forgot to pay for that one little thing = prolly not stealing anything. Guy who shoved the frozen legs of lamb under his sweatshirt and ran out the door shivering? Yeah go grab him.

My Dad worked for Safeway for 37 years....One of his favorite stories is the woman who attempted to walk out with a entire HAM between her thighs....up under a dress. :001_huh:

Once again, consuming food without paying is real theft. It may not be hundreds of dollars worth, but it is still stealing!

Just b/c its awkward to pay for something in the midst of a shopping trip does not make it any less stealing.

It does, though. Because you WILL be paying for the item. It's not like, for ten minutes somebody stole a soda, but then they pay for it and it's not stolen any more.

I really think most stores are understanding about this. When I was in Aldi a few weeks ago, DD started flipping out when I put the apples in my cart, and wanted one. You pay for the apples by the bag, not by weight, so her taking an apple wouldn't have affected the price, but I still didn't want to get in trouble, so I ran us up to the cashier, asked if it would be okay if I let her eat an apple before we go to check-out, and she laughed and said it would be just fine.

Given that many stores are okay with people consuming stuff before they get to checkout, and pay for it there, I think it's not unreasonable to expect that a store would be okay with it and not assume you'd be prosecuted for theft. I think the right thing for the store to do in this case would be to allow the woman to pay when she offered and then let her know, for future reference, that the store considers that shoplifting.

Scarlett and everyone else I was responding to (because I'm too lazy to back up and look for individual posts): I do agree that if you pay for it at the checkout that you are not technically shoplifting. Having said that, if you forget even one time, you could face shoplifting charges because technically then you are shoplifting. (I.e. technicalities go both ways.) I'm not willing to chance that with myself or my children.

I have had a small child who did technically shoplift and I went back in and paid for it. If I had been charged, I would have been charged and would have paid my fine. Just like if I speed and am caught, I do not argue with the policeman and pay my fine even if I didn't know the speed limit on that stretch of road (which has happened to me).

Scarlett and everyone else I was responding to (because I'm too lazy to back up and look for individual posts): I do agree that if you pay for it at the checkout that you are not technically shoplifting. Having said that, if you forget even one time, you could face shoplifting charges because technically then you are shoplifting. (I.e. technicalities go both ways.) I'm not willing to chance that with myself or my children.

I have had a small child who did technically shoplift and I went back in and paid for it. If I had been charged, I would have been charged and would have paid my fine. Just like if I speed and am caught, I do not argue with the policeman and pay my fine even if I didn't know the speed limit on that stretch of road (which has happened to me).

Yes Jean. I do agree with you on this. And now I am officially paranoid. :tongue_smilie:

There you go. They do have signs warning about it SHOPLIFTING IS A CRIME !!!

Ă¢â‚¬Â¦which circles back around to whether eating something while shopping, with the intent to pay when you get to the cash, is actually shopliftingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

some say yes, some say noĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ [and it's prolly gonna vary based on the laws of specific places]

Of COURSE it's up to the store. They aren't exempt from common sense and reason in this case. I DO hope Safeway gets some backlash on this.

How do we know that these same parents don't go eat at Safeway every week and "forget" to pay, thinking that if they get called on it then they will pay. People don't just steal because they don't have the money or are hungry.

Many times the people who steal Walmart blind have enough money to pay for their purchases, they just don't. They let their kids play with a toy in their stroller and walk out with it, they put a new pair of shoes on thier kid and forget to pay, they put an expensive pair of sunglasses under their child's blanket and then when they are caught, they say "I didn't know she had that."

So a Safeway worker should be put in the place to judge when it is an accident, and when it is on purpose? When a store states they prosecute all shoplifting they better prosecute all shoplifters or they are going to be accused of only picking on some segment of the population and get a much bigger backlash.

I don't think most stores care about you eating while shopping. Not that long ago my Publix was giving away samples of popcorn chicken at the deli and even said to grab an order for the kiddos and they could eat while I shopped. They also have a fountain drink dispenser and have told me when I checked out with an empty cup that refills were free.

That said the only time I have forgotten to pay was for gelato at Whole Foods. They just laughed.

And meanwhile *real* thieves, who actually go to the stores with the intent to steal, were rejoicing with all the commotion because they could probably get away with stealing more than usual. :glare:

No I think they love the idea of only paying when they get caught, and saying they forgot.

I also don't want a 20 year old grocery clerk deciding who the *real* thieves are and are not.

I don't think most stores care about you eating while shopping. Not that long ago my Publix was giving away samples of popcorn chicken at the deli and even said to grab an order for the kiddos and they could eat while I shopped. They also have a fountain drink dispenser and have told me when I checked out with an empty cup that refills were free.

That said the only time I have forgotten to pay was for gelato at Whole Foods. They just laughed.

Actually, there was a news report one time about how it IS okay to pick up something to eat as long as you saved the wrapper and paid for it at the register. This has saved me numerous times while dealing with morning sickness on a long shopping trip (I try to limit it to something as simple as crackers or such).

It would be interesting to hear from an actual lawyer (anyone?) about the legalities here. It was my impression that the law is actually a little complicated. There's case law, if I'm remembering right, which says that an item is in fact yours when you take possession of it by taking it off the shelf. Or at least, the store has offered the item to you, and by taking it off the shelf you've contracted to buy it. The store can't then choose to revoke the contract (by, say, refusing to sell it to you or changing the price) but the shopper can change his mind and revoke the contract until after purchase. By this model, consuming it in the store would simply be the shopper putting it out of his own power to revoke his acceptance of the contract. It couldn't be theft, though, because the item is his once he's accepted the store's offer by taking it off the shelf.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

:iagree:

I eat things all of the time before I leave Wal-Mart. I don't see it as theft. I think if stores didn't like it they would be putting a stop to it. I've never had anyone even look cross at me about it.

And I don't have a toddler, blood sugar issues and I'm not pregnant.

I don't have an issue with people eating things while they shop as long as they aren't items that are paid for by the pound. I have grabbed a soda while in the store and drank some while I shopped, and I wouldn't have a problem with someone opening crackers or something to quiet their toddler, but if you do this then it is up to YOU to make sure that you don't forget.

I don't have an issue with people eating things while they shop as long as they aren't items that are paid for by the pound. I have grabbed a soda while in the store and drank some while I shopped, and I wouldn't have a problem with someone opening crackers or something to quiet their toddler, but if you do this then it is up to YOU to make sure that you don't forget.

I agree about 'per pound' items being a no no for what we are discussing. And I agree that it is up to the individual to remember to pay for it.

I think it was justifiable that she was pulled up for it - it wasn't like she walked out with it in her hand -she had consumed it - there was no way to get it back and she didn't pay for it. Just because she offered to pay when she was caught doesn't mean she had no intention of stealing it.

I don't understand why so many people think it is ok to open things and eat them before paying -if you know you need a snack while shopping then bring one with you -that's what we do. I never have cash on me I always use EFTPOS -how sticky would be the situation if you get to the checkout and for some reason you can't acess your cash.

My kids have screamed in the store lots of times to open things not paid for - I never let them - the rule is you don't open it if it isn't paid for because until then it is not yours.

Now that isn't to say I haven't walked out of the store with unpaid for items unintentionally. 3 kids under 5 plus a big stroller means there have been a few times my kids have grabbed something off the shelf unnoticed or I've given them something to hold and missed it because they dropped it down the side. Every time I've taken it back to the store and everytime they have been nice about it -in fact they are often shocked I bought it back at all and thank me.

If you are worried about the reaction you'll get then sneak it back into the store in your pocket or bag and then take it through the checkout without even mentioning it to anyone.

I don't understand why so many people think it is ok to open things and eat them before paying -

Because the stores have no problem with it. They don't consider it stealing. I suppose if I got to the counter and couldn't pay for whatever reason (debit card not working, no checks whatever...) they could either let me call someone to come to the store with money or they could make me sweep floors. :D

If I forget it is definitely on me....just like it is on you when your kids take stuff and put in the stroller.

If you are worried about the reaction you'll get then sneak it back into the store in your pocket or bag and then take it through the checkout without even mentioning it to anyone.

:confused: I would not do that! No one is going to think badly of you for walking back INTO a store with accidently taken merchanise.

:confused: I would not do that! No one is going to think badly of you for walking back INTO a store with accidently taken merchanise.

A few people here mentioned they would be afraid to return things in case they were accused of stealing - so this is an out. :tongue_smilie:

In Australia the shops frown upon people doing this - it is usually discouraged although they don't make an issue of it until you walk out of the store without paying. If they allow it they usually post a sign - like the other day I went to the grocery store and there was a sign next to grapes that said "Please feel free to sample the grapes". I appreciate this because I often don't buy grapes because I hate getting home and finding they are bitter.

We don't have service delis that sell things like sandwiches or hot food apart from whole chickens or salad bars where you help yourself in the grocery stores - so we don't have to worry about whether it's ok to eat it before you leave the store - in places that do sell those things you have to pay for it before you can take it from the deli.

Our grocery stores also do not usually have any sort of cafe or whatnot at the front -meaning people should be MORE likely to want to eat unpaid purchases because they have no other option - however it is quite rare to see people eating food in stores -I have seen it but not often and normally it is a small child not an older child or an adult.

In Australia grocery stores are for shopping - not eating - there just isn't really a culture that you eat while you shop (inside a grocery store - obviously people do eat as they wander about large malls).

Edited by sewingmama

In Australia the shops frown upon people doing this - it is usually discouraged although they don't make an issue of it until you walk out of the store without paying. If they allow it they usually post a sign - like the other day I went to the grocery store and there was a sign next to grapes that said "Please feel free to sample the grapes". I appreciate this because I often don't buy grapes because I hate getting home and finding they are bitter.

We don't have service delis that sell things like sandwiches or hot food apart from whole chickens or salad bars where you help yourself in the grocery stores - so we don't have to worry about whether it's ok to eat it before you leave the store - in places that do sell those things you have to pay for it before you can take it from the deli.

Our grocery stores also do not usually have any sort of cafe or whatnot at the front -meaning people should be MORE likely to want to eat unpaid purchases because they have no other option - however it is quite rare to see people eating food in stores -I have seen it but not often and normally it is a small child not an older child or an adult.

In Australia grocery stores are for shopping - not eating - there just isn't really a culture that you eat while you shop (inside a grocery store - obviously people do eat as they wander about large malls).

:iagree: Some supermarkets have those self serve candy thingies where you get a cup and fill up with candies (called lollies here). there is always a sign saying that there are surveillance cameras watching, and that SHOPLIFTING IS A CRIME.

Edited by melissaL
spelling

Yeah, but that's not what happened to these folks. They weren't just *fined*. Right? They were arrested and their child was taken away from them and placed with strangers...for 18 hours. Insane. just. insane. I could handle a fine, like a speeding ticket fine. That would make those some darned expensive sandwiches and would really persuade people to be more careful next time. *That* makes sense.

I don't eat or drink things I haven't paid for in stores and I've always told my kids that it's not ours until we pay for it.

The reaction was kind of extreme but I understand why they did it. Stores have profits to make and lose a lot to shoplifting. It's not the security guard's job to figure out intention, IMO. I'm assuming most shoplifters aren't honest about their intentions.

Yeah, but that's not what happened to these folks. They weren't just *fined*. Right? They were arrested and their child was taken away from them and placed with strangers...for 18 hours. Insane. just. insane. I could handle a fine, like a speeding ticket fine. That would make those some darned expensive sandwiches and would really persuade people to be more careful next time. *That* makes sense.

But see, I wouldn't put that on Safeway. Safeway reported it to the police like they are supposed to do. The police chose to take them into custody etc. I don't know what the law is there (apparently it varies from place to place). I looked up the laws here where I live. Here shoplifting is considered 3rd degree theft and carries a sentence usually of community service and a fine that can go up to $5000 (but usually less). But don't you have to be taken into custody and booked first? I would assume that would be when the toddler was taken away.

This thread reminds me of one of my cousins who was bra shopping at JCP. She had one hung over her arm---in full display....and forgot it was there until she walked ALL the way through the mall and looked down when she went to get her keys to unlock her van. She was mortified. :D

I would be mortified that I walked through the mall with a bra hanging on my arm.:lol:

I pretty much never allow my kids to eat while we are shopping. The only time I can remember. I had my DS with me, he was about 2, we were in Trader Joe's and he was cranky. So I opened up the package of blueberries I was going to buy and let him start eating them. A store employee saw, and she offered (and I let her) take them in the back and wash them for him. :D

Everybody I know does this. It makes ME crazy because I'm always afraid something will go wrong at the register. What if you don't have cash, realize your out of checks, & your dh has the debit card? You know...stuff that rarely happens but WOULD if you'd eaten something before paying.

QUOTE]

This is my #1 reason for never allowing the kids to have something in the store even when it would be helpful for me. The thought of my credit card being denied (we never have credit problems) gives me a mini panic attack. Dh carries the checkbook. I have cash...sometimes. I always tell the kids we have to pay for the stuff first.

Everybody I know does this. It makes ME crazy because I'm always afraid something will go wrong at the register. What if you don't have cash, realize your out of checks, & your dh has the debit card? You know...stuff that rarely happens but WOULD if you'd eaten something before paying.

QUOTE]

This is my #1 reason for never allowing the kids to have something in the store even when it would be helpful for me. The thought of my credit card being denied (we never have credit problems) gives me a mini panic attack. Dh carries the checkbook. I have cash...sometimes. I always tell the kids we have to pay for the stuff first.

So, then is it considered ok if one has the cash on them? I always have at least $20 cash on me. My dds can eat their gelato, popcorn chicken, or drink their drink and I know I can cover it. Does it make it ok to those saying it's still theft if I know I have the cash to cover at least what they've eaten?

After reading that I am going to say the parents are at fault. Since when is it okay to eat food prior to paying for it in stores? There are registers everywhere, at least in all the grocery stores I worked in. They could have easily paid for the sandwhiches at the deli section. If she was feeling ill than she wiould have sat down for a bit not just keep on walking and eating. Okay so maybe arresting both parents and taking the child away was a bit overloaded but we don't know the whole story. We just hear the woe is me family story. Maybe this particular store has a problem with people eating in the store and not paying and this family just happen to be the time that the manager is just fed up and decided to involve the law.

After reading that I am going to say the parents are at fault. Since when is it okay to eat food prior to paying for it in stores? There are registers everywhere, at least in all the grocery stores I worked in. They could have easily paid for the sandwhiches at the deli section.

There are no registers at the deli at my local stores so I cannot pay when I order. The people that work the deli have always made references to the fact that my kids will be eating the food as I shop and I see many other children doing just the same. Maybe this is where we differ on this forum? Some have registers throughout the store and some only have them upon exiting (like mine).

There are no registers at the deli at my local stores so I cannot pay when I order. The people that work the deli have always made references to the fact that my kids will be eating the food as I shop and I see many other children doing just the same. Maybe this is where we differ on this forum? Some have registers throughout the store and some only have them upon exiting (like mine).

Do you have Safeway? Every single Safeway I've been in has had registers in the deli section. In fact, our Safeway has two registers in the deli section. They rarely have more than one or two people waiting at them too.

So, then is it considered ok if one has the cash on them? I always have at least $20 cash on me. My dds can eat their gelato, popcorn chicken, or drink their drink and I know I can cover it. Does it make it ok to those saying it's still theft if I know I have the cash to cover at least what they've eaten?

Oh, well, even if I have cash I still don't let them open anything. I have no need to decide if I feel it is morally right or not, because I have conditioned myself to panic at just the thought of not being able to pay for something.

Do you have Safeway? Every single Safeway I've been in has had registers in the deli section. In fact, our Safeway has two registers in the deli section. They rarely have more than one or two people waiting at them too.

No. I haven't been to a Safeway since I was little and living in a different state.

Our Whole Foods has a register where I purchase gelato but they don't ever push me to pay for it there (which is why I forgot once). I still don't pay for it there and haven't forgotten since the first time to pay at the regular checkout. I have no idea what was going on with the couple in the article. I was mostly responding to the idea that it's stealing to eat while shopping. I just don't see it that way.

I don't think it matters...how would that be any differant than being in a restaurant, eating a full meal and your debit card being rejected? Those things can happen.

No. I haven't been to a Safeway since I was little and living in a different state.

Our Whole Foods has a register where I purchase gelato but they don't ever push me to pay for it there (which is why I forgot once). I still don't pay for it there and haven't forgotten since the first time to pay at the regular checkout. I have no idea what was going on with the couple in the article. I was mostly responding to the idea that it's stealing to eat while shopping. I just don't see it that way.

I don't either.

I revised my opinion earlier to say that it's only technically theft when you leave the store without paying, at least according to the laws of my state. But I consider it unwise to do so because it is easy to forget to pay and to actually commit theft according to the law. What would be a royal inconvenience for a single adult puts your child into a scary situation, as this family found out. I don't blame the state for having laws to protect stores from theft. I don't blame the police for enforcing those laws. I don't blame the store for reporting it to the police for the courts to settle. I blame the parents for making a series of decisions which had this result. And yes, I think that a thinking adult could think through to possible scenarios just like I might think through the wisdom of leaving a child in a car in the parking lot, or the wisdom of letting a child stand up in the shopping cart on a cement surface.

A day later, Safeway issued an additional statement, saying that there may have been a mistake. "It appears we may not have handled this matter in the best possible way and we are taking the situation seriously," the store said.

Apparently, Safeway reviewed the situation and said they made a mistake. What more is there to the story?

I have asked at the stores in which we shop if I could open something to feed my child and pay for it with the rest of my order, and been told, "YES." After being told yes once, I didn't ask again.

We don't make it a habit... but there have been times.

FWIW, the two stores I shop at most often don't have "food" places. One has a seating area, but no food-ready-to-consume (other than rotisserie chickens and the salad bar at the back of the store), and the other has food ready-to-consume, but no seating area... unless you count the bench by the bathroom. The only stores that have some sort of cashier around food-to-consume are Target (in their snack bar, only), Wal-mart... if you count the indoor Subway. None of the deli sections, or any other section (bakery, etc.) has a separate place to pay. You pay up front.

Edited by LisaK in VA