Menu

Halloween and limiting sugar/chocolate

Wow, he is so young. Can't you just limit the number of houses you go to? When my kids were that age, they got tired rather quickly. Will he really know the difference if you take him to just a few houses, maybe like 5 or 6? And/or when you get home, make sure you are the first one to see the candy. Don't let him go through the bag. You could even be sneaky and have another bag prepared at home that has a little candy in it and then some other treats he can have like ziploc bags of popcorn, or whatever treats you allow.

High protein dinner before he sets out, take your time going to fewer houses, linger and chat more, feed him cheese or full fat yogurt or nut butter when he gets home.

MAke sure he gets a high protein breakfast in the morning-- maybe a couple of scramble eggs , or pancakes loaded with eggs, flax and leave him to his bag.

Let him eat in all sooner, do not drag out the torture of one piece a days for weeks. When it's gone, it's gone and no more negotiating.

Keep up the high protein meals as you work your way through the candy. Kids usually have issues with sugar crashes more than anything, and that's because they have no protein to hang those carbs on.

My kids really like passing out candy--and always have, even at a young age. At 4 years old, you get to define your son's experience. Go to a few neighbors' homes, then come home and pass out candy. And due to his issues, maybe you want to hand out something other than candy. Those little playdough containers were a hit around here.

We've got a similar issue. Chocolate makes my kids seriously nuts.

This year younger DD will be trading in all of her candy to us for about a dozen pieces of "safe" candy, because she also has food sensitivities and can't handle most regular candy. Older DD will get to keep about a dozen pieces of candy of her choice. The rest will go to work to feed DH's coworkers. :D

Some families use the "Switch Witch"- she comes and switches out halloween candy for some sort of toy or such.

I hear some dentists will "buy" the candy.

One year, my kids picked out a bunch of their candy and we mailed it to deployed troops. My mother was very active on a troop support message board and was always exchanging letters and sending care packages. So we mailed a bunch of candy to some of them (and boy were they happy to get it, and the kids felt proud to do it, so it was a win all around)!

DS is hyperactive and gets worse with chocolate. I will still let him have a little bit of candy, but I'm looking for tips if you participate in Halloween but limit what (or how much) they get to eat after. Do you hide the stash? Divide it up?

No hiding. No dividing here.

They share with me - it disappears MUCH MUCH faster that way :blush:

My kids have always handed over all their candy whether it be Awana, Halloween, or Easter. I put it in a ziploc bag and they one or two pieces at a time. Shhh, I usually weed it out a couple of weeks after the event. They don't care, but my kids are not real big on candy.

If you do a search, you can find that there are moms who use it for science experiments the next day.

Last year, we used ours for math lessons... but I'm guessing your ds is a little too young. I'm one who thinks it's important to let kids have some treats sometimes, but at that age, I agree with others. Hit a few houses, hand out candy, don't sweat it.

If you do a search, you can find that there are moms who use it for science experiments the next day.

Last year, we used ours for math lessons... but I'm guessing your ds is a little too young. I'm one who thinks it's important to let kids have some treats sometimes, but at that age, I agree with others. Hit a few houses, hand out candy, don't sweat it.

Oh yes, the experiments are great! We've done them two years in a row.

I have a friend who saves the candy for gingerbread house decorating in Deceomber.

DS is hyperactive and gets worse with chocolate. I will still let him have a little bit of candy, but I'm looking for tips if you participate in Halloween but limit what (or how much) they get to eat after. Do you hide the stash? Divide it up?

Well when dh gets a hold of it after they're asleep......ummmm

....and I may or may not participate in such scandalous behavior.

Edited by silliness7

The Halloween Fairy visits our house and spirits away most of the candy (the girls sort out their favorites first) in exchange for a toy/gift of about $20. Money well spent! ;)

I have a friend who let her kids have 2 pieces and then they traded the rest for a book. I thought that was a good way to handle it...except she had her kids hand out that candy to trick or treaters who came. Our street routinely gets 800-1000 trick or treaters every year so I understand not wanting the candy to be wasted but she made them answer the door and give out the candy that they really wanted...it was pretty sad to see.

When her son went t-o-t'ing with our family, we caught him stuffing the candy in his pockets and eating it while we were out because he knew he wouldn't be able to keep it at home. We stopped it when we saw it, but yikes! And he used to sneak into our son's room and take his candy. His mom called me and chewed me out for giving her ds the candy- she found the wrappers behind his bed. When I told him we didn't give it to him, that he took it, she was just upset that we had it in the house. The kids was like 11- old enough to exhibit some self control.

My kids get to eat one item on Halloween night, and we put the rest up and they continue to get one per night (contingent on good behavior all day). Soon after Halloween, we go through the stash and only pick out a few handfuls to keep, and we deliver the rest to a children's charity. The remaining candy still easily lasts until the next horde (Christmas) arrives.

My sugar-sensitive kid does best if she eats her sugar close to bedtime. I really don't know why, but it doesn't interfere with the bedtime routine. Any other time of the day, it makes her looney.

First, we limit the number of houses we visit (just our immediate neighborhood). They get one while out walking and one when they get home. We weed out all the stuff they absolutely cannot have (choking hazard or age approp for the toddler) or don't like (get sent to dh's work) Then I stash their bags and they get 1 or 2 a day until they forget about them (usually takes a week). Usually after a couple weeks we send the remaining candy to dh's' workplace. Somehow I must have forgotten, because I still have their bags from last Halloween and they're still half-full! LOL

We keep our tone/attitude very relaxed and fun, so the kiddos don't feel deprived. THey think it's crazy when their friends tell them they ate half their bag that first night, like YUCK. When the kiddos ask, I say, "oh, sure, let's have a piece of candy right after lunch." THey understand sugar needs to be with "real" food, and since they get it when they ask, they forget about it sooner. LOL

We weed out the candy my son can't have due to his peanut allergy(all that goes to work with DH the next day) and then they have a few pieces that night. We probably also weed out more than half the rest and then they get 1-2 pieces just about anytime they ask - which works out to almost every day the first week and then that tapers off to every few days for a bit.

We *still* have candy from easter, lol, though they want treats often they just don't eat a lot of it I guess.

Wow, he is so young. Can't you just limit the number of houses you go to? When my kids were that age, they got tired rather quickly. Will he really know the difference if you take him to just a few houses, maybe like 5 or 6? And/or when you get home, make sure you are the first one to see the candy. Don't let him go through the bag. You could even be sneaky and have another bag prepared at home that has a little candy in it and then some other treats he can have like ziploc bags of popcorn, or whatever treats you allow.

We are military, and there is going to be about 4 halloween parties, plus trunk or treat, plus regular trick-or-treating. Now we might not go to all of them, but DS does want to. He's really excited about this (and not the candy, but dressing up and parties). I just need to be prepared to toss out large amounts of candy, so *I* don't eat it :lol:. He's 5 in two months, if that makes a difference.

My sister and I sorted through ours and traded for our favorites. Any we didn't like (peanut butter taffy, strawberry hard candy, yuck!) went to mom and dad and we always gave them a few of their favorites as well. We got to eat 3 that night. Then mom put ours in separate bowls on top of the fridge. We got once piece each day until it was gone (or we forgot to ask for it for a few days and she tossed it.) :D

My sugar-sensitive kid does best if she eats her sugar close to bedtime. I really don't know why, but it doesn't interfere with the bedtime routine. Any other time of the day, it makes her looney.

Basically, your bod uses a different kind of insulin overnight.

Rosie

When her son went t-o-t'ing with our family, we caught him stuffing the candy in his pockets and eating it while we were out because he knew he wouldn't be able to keep it at home. We stopped it when we saw it, but yikes! And he used to sneak into our son's room and take his candy. His mom called me and chewed me out for giving her ds the candy- she found the wrappers behind his bed. When I told him we didn't give it to him, that he took it, she was just upset that we had it in the house. The kids was like 11- old enough to exhibit some self control.

Wow, that's really sad. Why even bother letting a kid go trick-or-treating if they aren't going to be able to keep/eat their candy or be able to trade it in for something?

My kids can't eat a lot of what they get because we are vegan and a lot of what they get is not vegan. Our deal is that anything that's left from our candy bowl (we give out vegan candy), they can have. They can have whatever vegan candy they collect. My husband takes the rest to work with him and gives it out. Two years ago there was a candy buy-back at a local dentist, and we went to that. The kids loved it! Unfortunately they didn't have it last year, and I haven't seen it advertised for this year.

My advice to the OP, if it's just chocolate, is to 1) try to make sure your son gets other treats than chocolate when you go up to houses and 2) buy something you approve of that he can trade any chocolate he does get in for. If it's all candy that you're opposed to, arrange with your ds beforehand to trade in his candy to you for something he wants, such as a book or toy.

Tara

My advice to the OP, if it's just chocolate, is to 1) try to make sure your son gets other treats than chocolate when you go up to houses and 2) buy something you approve of that he can trade any chocolate he does get in for. If it's all candy that you're opposed to, arrange with your ds beforehand to trade in his candy to you for something he wants, such as a book or toy.

Tara

He said he would rather have only a couple pieces of candy and a toy car, that's easy enough for me to do. He doesn't have a huge sweet tooth like I do.