Menu

Would you want a handmade gift at your baby shower?

Another vote for the hand made gifts at baby showers! It's such a thoughtful, generous gesture - I just can't imagine why anyone would be aghast at it.

Goodness, both of my kids still sleep with the baby blankets my aunt made for them and gave to me at our baby shower.

I have dear friends who are expecting their first child at the end of Nov. They both work with my DH but I have known the guy for 11 years as we (DH, DF and I) went to grad school together. They are having a work baby shower today so I went out and bought a nice set of hoodie towels they had registered for for DH to bring. I am invited to the big shower at the end of October (just for ladies) and we will be giving our big present then. I am crocheting a Canadian flag baby blanket (DF is Canadian too and his wife is Aussie) and crocheting a stuffed beaver (see a theme? Someone has to represent the Canadian half of the family). My mother was aghast and said that hand made gifts should never be given at a shower because it looks cheap and like you didn't have enough money to get them what they really wanted from the store, and that if I insisted on doing it I should give it to her privately so she wouldn't be embarrassed opening it in front of everyone. I have never heard of that, but then I have also only seen one shower where people gave hand made gifts and they were tye-died onesies, and yes, the person was on a strict budget. It was my shower and I adored the gift and they actually went through all four of my kids, and two friends' babies as well (I think they have been passed on to a third person).

So, is there some shower rule that says no hand made gifts? I'm still making them but I just wanted the Hive's opinion. I actually think hand made gifts are more personal and I will have spent alot of time on them. My friend is also one of those people who refuses to shop off of a gift registry and he got us a really nice baby gift for DS8 and incredible wedding gifts that I know he spent alot of time on, so I know he won't care that I didn't (for their big gift) shop off the registry.

:confused::confused: I have NEVER heard of such a rule. In fact I received many, many hand-made blankets at numerous showers. And I do believe I used every single last one of them and often. I think your gift sounds awesome and sounds like it will be well-received and cherished.

I also did not know that the point of a baby shower was to show off the wealth of the giver. What if you *don't* have enough money to do something store bought or you want to make a small store-bought thing more fun by crafting on it. Should you skip the shower? And why would the mother-to-be be embarrassed opening it? :confused:

People who think handmade gifts are tacky tend to be:

1. Non-crafters who don't understand the significance of a handmade gift.
  2. Recipients of handmade gifts that were awfully tacky.
  3. People that just don't like handmade gifts.

I'm a crafter (Knitter with a capital "K"), so I like to give (and receive!) handmade gifts. However, over the years, I've come to realize that some people are handknit afghan-worthy and others are gift card-worthy.

When in doubt, ASK the recipient if they would like a handmade blanket/stuffed animal/sweater/etc. Handmade gifts are also for the giver--we like to see a big reaction when the recipient opens their package, and if they're not the sort who like handmade gifts, you will be treated to an enormously anti-climatic reaction. Then you'll feel stupid as you realize you just wasted 40 hours of your life working on something that's destined to become the liner for the dog's bed or taking up space at the local Goodwill.

Some people "get" the handmade gift angle, and some people just don't...which is really unfortunate for them! IMO...

Edited by MrsBrooke

Your mother is nuts.

I always give handmade and get oohs and ahhs. My favorite thing to give is a sling with a matching burp cloth. Only takes me about an hour and it makes me happy to see babies being worn.

I do this too! Sometimes I make bibs instead of burp cloths.

My favorite burp cloths for my boys were the ones my sil made. I LOVE receiving homemade gifts, and I like to give them as well. People seem to appreciate receiving the ones I've given. Perhaps they're just being polite, I dunno. But honestly, I'm more likely to make something for a dear friend than for more of an 'acquaintance' friend. Because a handmade gift is more personal, IMO, and takes more of my time.

And as far as cost, I'm sure the bibs, burp cloths, slings, and pacifier clips I can make are somewhat less expensive than just buying them, but not a lot. I mean, by the time I buy the cute fabric I want for that particular baby, and the do-dads and buttons and what not, it's not exactly free. I don't MAKE gifts because they're cheaper. I make them because I think they're more precious.

I think the answer would be based primarily on the social status/circle of the family receiving the gift, as well as the "quality" of the gift, of course.

Based on your description of the gifts, however, I would certainly not hesitate to give them at a shower. If you are familiar with the couple and have a bit of concern that they (or other guests) might look down upon a homemade gift, you could add in something purchased as well.

In my experience, though, a well-made, cute and useful homemade gift is appreciated and treasured much more than something from BabiesRUs. Rather than saying "cheap" it says you put an enormous amount of time, thought and effort into the gift. I still have baby quilts that were made for my dc and keep them as heirlooms as well as souvenirs of the gift-giver. All the other plastic stuff is long gone.

In my area, professional craft shows are frequently held during the holiday shopping season, where people with $$ to spend pay extremely high prices for handmade items. If the guests aren't crafty, their first assumption could be that you purchased a very pricey, high-quality handmade item for your friend. They will be even more impressed when they discover you made it yourself.

So, if these are trendy, snobby people, you should probably add a name-brand trinket to the package. Otherwise, I'm sure everyone will be thrilled and amazed by your creation!

People who think handmade gifts are tacky tend to be:
  1. Non-crafters who don't understand the significance of a handmade gift.
  2. Recipients of handmade gifts that were awfully tacky.
  3. People that just don't like handmade gifts.

I would add a #4

People who are greedy and only care about stuff.

It depends. I love handmade things if they are nicely made. At my DD's baby shower I was given a lot of handmade things that were just not useable - the fabric was inappropriate or it fell apart very quickly. One lady made me a quilt which I liked and used to lay my newborn DD on - until one day I washed it and 5 long quilting pins were poking out of it :001_huh: Those pins were so long and my DD so little that if she had rolled onto one it could have peirced her heart :001_huh:

So after that - I view handmade gifts with suspicion unless I know that the giver is a good seamstress/crafter.

I have dear friends who are expecting their first child at the end of Nov. They both work with my DH but I have known the guy for 11 years as we (DH, DF and I) went to grad school together. They are having a work baby shower today so I went out and bought a nice set of hoodie towels they had registered for for DH to bring. I am invited to the big shower at the end of October (just for ladies) and we will be giving our big present then. I am crocheting a Canadian flag baby blanket (DF is Canadian too and his wife is Aussie) and crocheting a stuffed beaver (see a theme? Someone has to represent the Canadian half of the family). My mother was aghast and said that hand made gifts should never be given at a shower because it looks cheap and like you didn't have enough money to get them what they really wanted from the store, and that if I insisted on doing it I should give it to her privately so she wouldn't be embarrassed opening it in front of everyone. I have never heard of that, but then I have also only seen one shower where people gave hand made gifts and they were tye-died onesies, and yes, the person was on a strict budget. It was my shower and I adored the gift and they actually went through all four of my kids, and two friends' babies as well (I think they have been passed on to a third person).

So, is there some shower rule that says no hand made gifts? I'm still making them but I just wanted the Hive's opinion. I actually think hand made gifts are more personal and I will have spent alot of time on them. My friend is also one of those people who refuses to shop off of a gift registry and he got us a really nice baby gift for DS8 and incredible wedding gifts that I know he spent alot of time on, so I know he won't care that I didn't (for their big gift) shop off the registry.

I think this is ridiculous! Looks like you can't afford a nice gift? When did your mother last price yarn? I love hand made items think it will be a very nice gift.

Just a kind thought for your mom. There's probably a generational gap at work here. Nowadays handmade is making a come back but it wasn't too long ago that there was a stigma attached to that.

That said, times change. I knit a ton of gifts last year for Christmas and they were all well-received. The ones you're making sound wonderful.

I love handmade gifts! I tend to shy away from knit/crocheted blankets for infants nowadays though. Ds got one wrapped so tightly around his finger that it started turning blue and was bleeding. He was screaming and crying so loudly that I panicked and called the police, not thinking right away that I could have just cut the blanket off around his finger and it would have unraveled.:blush: By the time I thought of it, they were at the door...:tongue_smilie:

The only things I've kept have been handmade. It's so (relatively) easy to buy something mass produced from a store (as useful, pretty, and even necessary as those things are .. and I was thankful for them and used them until I didn't need them anymore) but the time and effort put into a personal, handmade gift is just priceless.

Once again I am guilty of reading the first page and the last page of a thread and skipping all the stuff in between!

My dc are between 10 and 17 years old and when they were little, I appreciated both homemade and storebought gifts -- both can be cute and useful and reflect love.

But, now that our baby days are gone, what are left? The four bibs that my neighbor (from when we lived in another state) cross-stitched. The quilt a coworker made for my first is lovingly packed away in a chest. The little sweet sweater grandma made and a few crocheted and knitted blankets remain. They are special and will be passed down to the grandkids.

I have forgotten (unless I look in the baby book or something was truly unique) the gifts of onesies, crib sheets, toys, and diapers. I appreciated them a lot -- they filled a need and I felt loved knowing someone gave them to me, but now, what remains are the few sweet homemade things.

I say go for it. How sweet and caring.

And if you are not totally sure, then a "little something" homemade can be part of a bigger gift. One thing I liked doing for little girls is crocheting pretty beads onto little bobby socks. Often, I'd get a cute outfit and then crochet beads onto white socks to make them match the outfit. Something storebought -- something homemade (and it took less than an hour). Another fun "mixed" idea is to sew trim and a hood onto a towel (I'm sure you could google that) and give the momma that hooded towel along with baby bath and baby shampoo. Or a home-decorated picture frame with a gift certificate for a professional photo... Lots of options.

The first time I found out I was pregnant (after years of trying) my grandmother immediately began crocheting the softest white, blue and pink blanket. She was NOT an affectionate person, so this ended up being quite a surprise. When I found out at 19 weeks that my baby had died this blanket became ultra precious to me. I ended up using it with all 3 of my later boys too. It's one of the only things I ever received from that grandmother AND she made it. Very cool.

Someone else knitted a round baby blanket for my 15 year old. So cool, personal and unique. :)

Good quality homemade gifts are great :)