Menu

s/o denomination post - speaking in tongues?

Pentecostals consider speaking in tongues (and other gifts of the Holy Spirit) to be evidence of baptism by the Holy Spirit. They consider it part of the Great Commission.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+12%3A4-11&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2012&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2016:15-20&version=NIV

Eta: As far as if it is something that someone would want? Some people want all of the gifts of the spirit that are available to them.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Can someone enlighten me? I will admit that I have never seen this in person and I'm not sure how I would react to such a thing. Is this something someone would want? Is it evidence of the Holy Spirit? I will admit to knowing very little about this, but I'd like to understand a little more.

You can also look up "Glossolalia," which is the scientific term for these sorts of utterances. Christians aren't the only ones who perform this sort of thing. It is considered to be a learned behavior by most cognitive psychologists, or inspired by a heightened state.

I will admit that I have never seen this in person and I'm not sure how I would react to such a thing.

I was raised in a very mainstream, staid Catholic Church, and I have, as an adult, attended very staid, high-churchy Episcopal churches. I still find myself a bit aghast when somebody lets out an unsolicited "Amen!" or "Alleluia!" during a church service, so I can't imagine I'd have a very positive response to somebody speaking on tongues. That may be and probably is more a reflection on me than on them, but it's what it is.

I actually go to a home group at my neighbors' house. There's a few of us from other churches, but most of them go to a charismatic (Vineyard) church. I was asking somebody else who goes, a friend who now goes to my church (an Episcopal/Lutheran congregation) but used to go to their church about it, about whether this was something I should be prepared to see, but she said they have kind of a different way of thinking about tongues.

The bible speaks of speaking in tongues many times in the new testament, starting in the book of Acts. We attended a Pentecostal church for years, and we have attended our current church, which is non-denominational for about 2 years. I have seen/heard many many people pray and speak in tongues over the last 10 years. When it is done in the Spirit, it is very beautiful and comforting.

The bible speaks of speaking in tongues many times in the new testament, starting in the book of Acts. We attended a Pentecostal church for years, and we have attended our current church, which is non-denominational for about 2 years. I have seen/heard many many people pray and speak in tongues over the last 10 years. When it is done in the Spirit, it is very beautiful and comforting.

:iagree: For me some instances have seemed fabricated but other times it just "rings true" and is beautiful and comforting as you stated.

The only thing I know about speaking in tongues is what Simka explained in the other thread, and I read somewhere (it could have been the Bible or it could have been a Bible study type book of some kind) years ago that one was not to listen to someone speaking in tongues unless another person was there to interpret because the one speaking could be possessed of a devil.

I never understood how the interpreter couldn't have been possessed also.

I had a boyfriend's mother try to pray in tongues over me. (She cornered me coming out of the bathroom.) I silently said Our Father's and Hail Mary's until she was done because I had no idea what she was saying. She could have been calling up demons for all I knew.

The entire thing is mostly foreign to me. Interesting. But foreign.

Edited by Parrothead

LDS also believe in speaking in tongues, but it looks far different than what I've seen/heard of in other churches.

Our instances of "speaking in tongues" are of being able to speak in a *known* language, to help spread the gospel, as happened on the day of Pentacost when Peter and the other Apostles were able to speak in the languages of the people who were gathered around who hadn't heard the gospel message yet. (although there were instances in the early years of the church of people speaking what sounded like "gibberish", but there was always also someone able to translate it.)

Our missionaries learn the languages of their mission areas remarkably fast, and I've heard many of them say that it is in large part because of constant prayer. A close friend of mine who served in Fiji described having words come to him that he knew he hadn't learned yet, but were the words he needed to know to relay a gospel principle to the native speaker he was teaching.

Bottom line, the Gift of Tongues, in whatever form it takes, moves the Work forward, and spreads the Gospel message.

I don't usually get into religious discussions, but I do want to point out that there are two different "types" of speaking in tongues. One is the public gift of the Spirit, which requires an interpreter. The other is the private prayer language between a believer and God. For more information check out 1 Corinthians 14. Paul does a good job of explaining it to the church at Corinth.

Can someone enlighten me? I will admit that I have never seen this in person and I'm not sure how I would react to such a thing. Is this something someone would want? Is it evidence of the Holy Spirit? I will admit to knowing very little about this, but I'd like to understand a little more.

I can tell my experience only. We have a team of pray-ers in the corner (that sounds bad doesn't it) every week. There are 2 people there and they will pray for whatever you ask them to pray for - right now it's for my MIL. I don't remember what I asked for prayer for that time. But I went up and asked for prayer. "Rick" started to pray. It took me a minute to realize I couldn't understand anything he was saying. Then I was wondering what he was saying, why wasn't he using English, "oh he's praying in tongue!." About the time I figured it out, he started praying out loud in English. After that there were other times that Rock was in the corner and every time I went to him for prayer, he prayed in tongues. Like I said, I didn't even notice at first. The next times, it was "normal". I didn't expect it but it wasn't a shock to the system either.

The Holy Spirit gives gifts, tongues is simply one gift. Some will say that unless someone is there to interpret the tongues, there is no use for the gift. Some people do ask for the gift of tongues so they can pray in tongues. I have never prayed or spoken in tongues and I've never asked for that gift.

Well, after Mom 'got saved' in the Catholic Charismatic movement, we bounced around to many pentecostal/non denominational types of churches. We went to a few Benny Hinn meetings, I've seen people laid flat on the floor through no power of their own, and people fall on the floor because that's what they thought they were supposed to do.

I'm not going to *deny* it, but I've seen a lot of foolishness with it, too. I would say more on the side of foolishness. And some down right hair standing on end scary stuff. Like people saying they were 'praying in tongues' and them actually being no way in God's green earth Christians.

I'm not going to *deny* it, but I've seen a lot of foolishness with it, too. I would say more on the side of foolishness. And some down right hair standing on end scary stuff. Like people saying they were 'praying in tongues' and them actually being no way in God's green earth Christians.

I've never actually seen that stuff, but I've heard of it. I'm sure it's creepy! Thank God for the gift of discernment!!

I don't usually get into religious discussions, but I do want to point out that there are two different "types" of speaking in tongues. One is the public gift of the Spirit, which requires an interpreter. The other is the private prayer language between a believer and God. For more information check out 1 Corinthians 14. Paul does a good job of explaining it to the church at Corinth.

:iagree:

BUT would also include the miracle where everyone present heard the apostles in their own language.

Pentecostals consider speaking in tongues (and other gifts of the Holy Spirit) to be evidence of baptism by the Holy Spirit. They consider it part of the Great Commission.

In my 35 years as a charismatic/Pentecostal Christian, I never thought of speaking in tongues as part of the Great Commission.:001_huh:

Eta: As far as if it is something that someone would want? Some people want all of the gifts of the spirit that are available to them.

Most Pentecostals want all the gifts of the Spirit that are available to them. :)

In my 35 years as a charismatic/Pentecostal Christian, I never thought of speaking in tongues as part of the Great Commission.:001_huh:

That bit is referring to when you are speaking to someone who speaks another language. That is specifically to be used as part of the Great Commission.

Most Pentecostals want all the gifts of the Spirit that are available to them. :)

There is one just above you who says she does not seek that gift. That is why I said some. I know plenty of people who don't seek out those gifts, and I know plenty of people who do. There isn't any judgment there on my part, I assure you.

BUT would also include the miracle where everyone present heard the apostles in their own language.

It has always been explained to me that, "speaking in tongues" is only "real" if people CAN understand what is being said. eg: Whatever the person is saying, the people listening to them "hear" the message.

Example: Person X walks into a church where someone is speaking in tongues and hears a very distinct "message" from the holy spirit.

If there are 150 people in the church, and they all wrote on a slip of paper what they heard, it would be the same thing.

If 50 of those people had a different mother tongue (Russian, Spanish, German, whatever), they would also write down the same message.

Otherwise, it's bunk.

Just what I've always been taught.

asta

An article from a few years back has this to say:
Glossolalia, otherwise referred to as “speaking in tongues,” has been around for thousands of years, and references to it can be found in the Old and New Testament. Speaking in tongues is an unusual mental state associated with specific religious traditions. The individual appears to be speaking in an incomprehensible language, yet perceives it to have great personal meaning. Now, in a first of its kind study, scientists are shining the light on this mysterious practice -- attempting to explain what actually happens physiologically to the brain of someone while speaking in tongues.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine have discovered decreased activity in the frontal lobes, an area of the brain associated with being in control of one’s self. This pioneering study, involving functional imaging of the brain while subjects were speaking in tongues, is in the November issue of Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, the official publication of the International Society for Neuroimaging in Psychiatry.

Radiology investigators observed increased or decreased brain activity - by measuring regional cerebral blood flow with SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) imaging - while the subjects were speaking in tongues. They then compared the imaging to what happened to the brain while the subjects sang gospel music.

“We noticed a number of changes that occurred functionally in the brain,” comments Principal Investigator Andrew Newberg, MD, Associate Professor of Radiology, Psychiatry, and Religious Studies, and Director for the Center for Spirituality and the Mind, at Penn. “Our finding of decreased activity in the frontal lobes during the practice of speaking in tongues is fascinating because these subjects truly believe that the spirit of God is moving through them and controlling them to speak. Our brain imaging research shows us that these subjects are not in control of the usual language centers during this activity, which is consistent with their description of a lack of intentional control while speaking in tongues.”

Newberg went on to explain, “These findings could be interpreted as the subject’s sense of self being taken over by something else. We, scientifically, assume it’s being taken over by another part of the brain, but we couldn’t see, in this imaging study, where this took place. We believe this is the first scientific imaging study evaluating changes in cerebral activity -- looking at what actually happens to the brain -- when someone is speaking in tongues. This study also showed a number of other changes in the brain, including those areas involved in emotions and establishing our sense of self.”

Newberg concludes that the changes in the brain during speaking in tongues reflect a complex pattern of brain activity. Newberg suggests that since this is the first study to explore this, future studies will be needed to confirm these findings in an attempt to demystify this fascinating religious phenomenon.

This would seem to show that at least some people who speak in tongues are in an altered state. It's unclear whether this is a state only attainable by certain individuals, or something that everybody could do if they were encouraged and open to it.

:iagree:...especially with the bolded. I have a couple of dear friends who have a sweet walk with God and have told me they have this gift. That is why I won't deny it either. I respect them enough to give some credit to what they are saying. On the whole, though, I have mostly seen foolishness where this is involved. There are some of these churches that there is just so much hype and fanaticism (there is one in our area) and none of the quiet, sweet walk with the Lord that serves a true Christian and serves those around them. It is a shame, but the charlatans can often give a bad name to the others. I have a few friends involved in a strong charasmatic/tongues speaking church who are wonderful prayer warriors and have such a strong walk with the Lord.

Edited by FiveOaksAcademy

It has always been explained to me that, "speaking in tongues" is only "real" if people CAN understand what is being said. eg: Whatever the person is saying, the people listening to them "hear" the message.

Example: Person X walks into a church where someone is speaking in tongues and hears a very distinct "message" from the holy spirit.

If there are 150 people in the church, and they all wrote on a slip of paper what they heard, it would be the same thing.

If 50 of those people had a different mother tongue (Russian, Spanish, German, whatever), they would also write down the same message.

Otherwise, it's bunk.

Just what I've always been taught.

asta

As already mentioned, that only applies to one type of speaking in tongues. Praying in the spirit is different from that.

I belong to a Catholic Church and lots of people speak in tongues at our church. The choir always ends in tongues and the priest often comments and recommends the congregation read up in the bible about the Holy Spirits Gifts of Speaking in Tongues so we dont loose our gifts the Spirit gives us.

It's not common in all Catholic Churches, though.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/tongues.html

http://www.catholic.com/video/speaking-in-tongues video

Pentecostals consider speaking in tongues (and other gifts of the Holy Spirit) to be evidence of baptism by the Holy Spirit.

This is what dh and I believe.

I have experienced both. When I was initially baptized in the Holy Spirit, I received the gift of tongues, as a private prayer language that I can pray in to the Lord. I have also experienced a brother deliver a word in tongues during a fellowship meeting, and then interpret the word. They are very different.

And fwiw, I was raised in the Nazarene denomination, which does not believe in the gift of tongues. So the fact that I have experienced both, with just my mustard-seed-sized faith, is quite a blessing to me. The day I was finally baptized in the Holy Spirit was a result of a teaching on that subject that a brother brought, and it was quite timely for me, since I had been seeking to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. The brother has quite a gift of teaching; every question I had was answered before I asked it. I will never forget that evening, and how the Lord blessed me. :)

Huh! I used to do that as a child playing in the woods, even when I was by myself - pretending to be speaking a special language.

This is as close a description as I could have made to my own experiences. For me it was always a private thing. It was being able to verbally get the "words" out in prayer without actually knowing what I was praying.

To illustrate, sometimes I would have some much internal emotions that I would want to talk with God about it, but I would not understand my own emotions or thoughts on the situation. It allowed me to pray in my "prayer language" and get the emotions and feelings out.

If earth is childhood and heaven adulthood, it would be just like making up a language so I could feel like I was communication like an adult/to heaven.

That probably only makes sense in my own head :tongue_smilie:.

On Monday Spy Car mentioned a documentary about Marjoe, "the youngest ordained minister" evangelist. He provided a youtube link and I sat here at my desk and watched the entire documentary, all 10 parts.

In it, Marjoe remarks about how "speaking in tongues" is part of the showmanship of the evangelist movement, and he did it just to increase donations. He said it was common practice among those with whom he worked and in the circles in which he moved.

I found that very interesting.

astrid

In it, Marjoe remarks about how "speaking in tongues" is part of the showmanship of the evangelist movement, and he did it just to increase donations. He said it was common practice among those with whom he worked and in the circles in which he moved.

There are plenty of charlatans out there. There are times that it seems artificial in some people. There are times it is incredibly authentic. I think calling it showmanship is a little weird to me. But, I know plenty of Protestants who disapprove of the showmanship (candles, incense, ceremony) used by the Catholic church, so I guess I can see how some see it that way.

I've witnessed both and experienced praying in the spirit. I do think it can be "fake" or "forced", but I also believe they both exist.

This "praying in tongues" is something I've never personally dwelt on before in my gospel studies, but I realize now that perhaps it IS something I have experienced. At times when I've been praying with great emotion (both happy and painful), there's been times when all I could do to "express" myself to the Lord was to just pray with my heart. There weren't words, per-sey, but it was like releasing a stream of energy (best word I can think of to describe it) from within me and sending it Heavenward, with the understanding that the Lord would understand what I was trying to "say". I know I made sounds while doing it, but never really paid attention to what they were. And those prayers have been some of my deepest conversations with the Lord.

I believe that all scriptural examples are of individuals speaking in languages that were previously unknown to them. However, this was only when it was needed so that others could understand. On the day of Pentecost, the apostles began speaking in tongues and ALL the people in jerusalem could understand them. They couldn't figure out how these guys were suddenly speaking in so many different languages. It isn't something that is gibberish, and I simply don't see much of a need for it in services or preaching in general as most folks are typically speaking or worshipping with individuals who speak one language.

I belong to a Catholic Church and lots of people speak in tongues at our church. The choir always ends in tongues and the priest often comments and recommends the congregation read up in the bible about the Holy Spirits Gifts of Speaking in Tongues so we dont loose our gifts the Spirit gives us.

It's not common in all Catholic Churches, though.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/tongues.html

http://www.catholic.com/video/speaking-in-tongues video

That was my first experience with the charism. But once we left, and I experienced it elsewhere, it was like the wild, wild west.

Did you see the post about the missionary who was given words that he never learned in order to communicate? That is why is why they are connected.

I know they are (or can be) "connected." I'm just telling you that in the Assemblies of God, tongues is never presented as a means to fulfill the Great Commission.

I know they are (or can be) "connected." I'm just telling you that in the Assemblies of God, tongues is never presented as a means to fulfill the Great Commission.

In your experience. Look I have no desire to defend the AG, but I was very aware of the connection. We often discussed it before youth mission trips.

In your specific church(es). It absolutely was in the church that I grew up in. How could it not be connected when that is what happened at Pentecost? Not connecting it doesn't even make sense. Not praying in the spirit, the other type of speaking in tongues.

Yes, a subject to be approached with great discernment!

On the one hand, one does not want to support charlatanism/showmanship or the view that you are just not as good a Christian if you don't have this gift. Or, even worse, people feeling pressured that they have to come out with something. That is just wrong.

On the other hand, one does not want to quench the Spirit.

A dear, close friend of mine heard someone praying in beautiful high-flown French during a prayer meeting. Of course she told him I don't know you speak French! And he said, I don't know French. That was tongues. I do believe my friend so I trust this story.

I grew up AG and will admit to often listening to the person speaking in tounges and then comparing that to the interpretation. I was mostly unconvinced that they were the same and was disilusioned. I do think that the public speaking in tounges is often manipulative and all for show.

Having said that, I have spoken in tounges, myself since I was baptised in water and filled with the Holy Spirit. This is a private (even in church --this is between God and myself) communication. I find that when my words fail to express my heart's intent and desire, the Holy Spirit intervenes and tells God what I want to say, what I mean to say, what I am unable to communicate otherwise; for this I am eternally thankfull.

Lara

In your experience. Look I have no desire to defend the AG, but I was very aware of the connection. We often discussed it before youth mission trips.

Yes, in my experience, which is pretty lengthy, and it was as an adult. Your experience as a youth was different. :-)

Although tongues can certainly be useful in missionary work, the Assemblies of God doesn't have anything about that on its official Web site/doctrinal statements. Comments regarding that would have been the individual's and not the Church's official position.

Yes, in my experience, which is pretty lengthy, and it was as an adult. Your experience as a youth was different. :-)

Although tongues can certainly be useful in missionary work, the Assemblies of God doesn't have anything about that on its official Web site/doctrinal statements. Comments regarding that would have been the individual's and not the Church's official position.

Elllie, I mentioned the youth portion to illustrate that it is taught in the local churches.

As to the Church's official position on it, I was taught a lot more when I attended an Assembly of God Bible University. I just didn't want it to seem like I only learned that side of speaking in tongues at Seminary or through the Ordination process.

I'm with Mrs. Mungo on this. It would have come up every time we studied Acts...Which is a TON in the AG!!! Ugghhh! I am sorry your experience with the AG was a bit...lacking. At least I think I am. ;)

Edited by simka2

From the website:

The Assemblies of God exists expressly to give continuing emphasis to this reason for being in the New Testament apostolic pattern by teaching and encouraging believers to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. This experience:

Enables them to evangelize in the power of the Spirit with accompanying supernatural signs.

The Great Commission=to evangelize.

Also from the A of G site:

http://www.ag.org/pentecostal-evangel/articles/conversations/4510_traskhurst_index.cfm

The A of G church *definitely* connects the two. Is there a reason that you are uncomfortable with that idea?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I believe that all scriptural examples are of individuals speaking in languages that were previously unknown to them. However, this was only when it was needed so that others could understand. On the day of Pentecost, the apostles began speaking in tongues and ALL the people in jerusalem could understand them. They couldn't figure out how these guys were suddenly speaking in so many different languages. It isn't something that is gibberish, and I simply don't see much of a need for it in services or preaching in general as most folks are typically speaking or worshipping with individuals who speak one language.

Yes, a subject to be approached with great discernment!

On the one hand, one does not want to support charlatanism/showmanship or the view that you are just not as good a Christian if you don't have this gift. Or, even worse, people feeling pressured that they have to come out with something. That is just wrong.

On the other hand, one does not want to quench the Spirit.

IME, as an adult, for the past 25 years, the "tongues" were nothing more than an extravagant showing of how "spiritual" the particular person who was speaking was. And, I've seen the "baptism of the holy spirit" used more to abuse people than anything else. Color me skeptical on how these are used today.

I'm not denying spiritual gifts or gifts of the holy spirit, but like with most things, I think the concept has been manipulated and corrupted and used in ways not originally intended, for the most part.