Menu

Scholastic free 'Plimoth Plantation Virtual Field Trip' registration....

Beth in SW WA

I'm curious as to why they're spelling it Plimoth, when it's in Plymouth, Ma? Anyone know why?

I live near Plymouth in the UK and know that was recorded as Plimouth and Plemouth in the past. However a 1540 map I have seen of Plymouth does spell it with the y so seems strange that it is spelt with and older spelling since that y seems to have come into use a long time before the Mayflower left.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone who has done this explain how it works? Are all 3 webcasts different content? Is the webcast replay the same content from the first 2 field trips?

We got a call for an interesting opportunity tomorrow and I wanted to know if we will completely miss the virtual field trip or if we can watch the replay and get the same info. Thanks!

I have not received a link but got this email today.

Dear Beth,

Thanks for registering for the email portion of your free Thanksgiving Teaching Kit!

Your class will receive a series of letters from Lizzy, a fictional character based on historical records of life in the 1620’s, who writes from aboard the Mayflower, from the Plimoth Plantation, and ends with her excited rendering of the first Thanksgiving. Along with learning about this young Pilgrim girl, your class will also get to know 12-year-old Pometacomet, a fictional member of the Wampanoag nation, who describes life in the autumn when the Mayflower was first sighted, his first impressions of the “coat-men,†and, finally, the great feast with the Pilgrims!

All letters come with audio to give added life to Lizzy and Pometacomet and enhance the drama of their stories -- as well as offering pronunciation to new vocabulary introduced. Visually, the emails appear on a parchment like background and are accompanied by photographs. The roll out of the letters is meant to provide an historical backdrop to and build anticipation for the Virtual Field Trips to come – and to give you time for class discussion about each set of letters. As part of your registration, you will also receive email reminders for these video tours.

The e-mail says the letters are supposed to "build anticipation" for the field trips to come. But the first letter comes tomorrow and the first field trip is supposed to be today, right? Maybe the field trip dates listed on the site are from last year and they are actually later? That would explain why we haven't received an e-mail reminder yet.

I just called the Plimoth Plantation and spoke with an operator who said that she really didn't understand this because they were just now doing the filming. I said well it says on your website that the field trip is today. She took my name and number and said she would try to find out something. This is kinda crazy.

I just called the Plimoth Plantation and spoke with an operator who said that she really didn't understand this because they were just now doing the filming. I said well it says on your website that the field trip is today. She took my name and number and said she would try to find out something. This is kinda crazy.

Thanks for the update. I've been poking around and trying to figure it out, too. So far I haven't been happy with Scholastic at all. :glare:

http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/

Scholastic just called me back, this is the link she sent me to. There is a button for a slide show of the english villiage that says field trip.

That's it? We went through those in about 5 minutes. Heck, I have better pictures than that from when we visited. I thought it was going to be a live webcast?