Menu

What is considered a low post count?

The answer will have to be number, short sentence, or essay since I do not know how to make a multiple choice poll.

Of course, length of forum membership is a factor in number of posts, so I will arbitrarily set the membership length at one year. What would you consider a low, medium, and high post count for a one year member?

Talking in terms of the average forum member at the end of their first year:

Low, under 100

Mid 100-200

High over 200

Really high over 600

Some people come here for information and that is the numbers I averaged. Others, like me, are here for that but also spend a lot of time just socializing. Socializing would bump those numbers up quickly!

I wouldn't worry about it so much.....I've been on this board since the old format and my post count is pretty low here.

It's just too fast moving for me to gather that many posts.....I read the board everyday so you'd think I'd jump in more.

I think the only issue with a low count is that who we are is easier to understand when we have a long history of responding to things.

Low, under 100

Mid 100-200

High over 200

Really high over 600

I guess I'm quite the blabbermouth! I would have thought one post per day would be pretty normal.

I've never seen it measured that way. I think a better question would be, "When someone says, 'low post count,' what do they mean?"

I've never said it, lol, but to me, if a post seems really "off," I can usually look at the post count & be unsurprised to find that it's below 500. REALLY off usually means poster is below 100. Occasionally, that means they haven't got the feel of the boards yet. Usually, it means they're a troll.

I don't point at trolls, feed them, etc. I just move on. Sometimes those people end up staying, & they're just overly aggressive & rude. I don't see that as being a LOT different from a troll anyway, so I don't bother w/ the distinction.

I've never seen it measured that way. I think a better question would be, "When someone says, 'low post count,' what do they mean?"

I've never said it, lol, but to me, if a post seems really "off," I can usually look at the post count & be unsurprised to find that it's below 500. REALLY off usually means poster is below 100. Occasionally, that means they haven't got the feel of the boards yet. Usually, it means they're a troll.

I don't point at trolls, feed them, etc. I just move on. Sometimes those people end up staying, & they're just overly aggressive & rude. I don't see that as being a LOT different from a troll anyway, so I don't bother w/ the distinction.

You're missing a major part of the formula. Post count alone can't possibly mean anything. We all had to join sometime... you happen to have joined well over 3 years ago. I joined about a month ago. You might look at my post count around 150 and think it's low, but if I keep up this rate of posting, by the time I've been around as long as you have (over 3 1/2 years), I'll be at over 5000 posts.

Why can't people here just accept that it takes awhile to build up a post count? I'd look more to the *quality* of the history of a person's posts than anything else. If they've stirred the pot a number of times, now that might be a reason to think anything other than "newbie".

You're missing a major part of the formula. Post count alone can't possibly mean anything. We all had to join sometime... you happen to have joined well over 3 years ago. I joined about a month ago. You might look at my post count around 150 and think it's low, but if I keep up this rate of posting, by the time I've been around as long as you have (over 3 1/2 years), I'll be at over 5000 posts.

Why can't people here just accept that it takes awhile to build up a post count? I'd look more to the *quality* of the history of a person's posts than anything else. If they've stirred the pot a number of times, now that might be a reason to think anything other than "newbie".

:iagree: If I am skeptable about someones intentions, I look at their history of posting. I stop an read the posts that have real questions asked, and answered. I look at their tone and word choices. I look to see if they are contributing to conversations or just doing a lot of :iagree:. I think, that when looking at post count quality vs. quantity means a lot.

Low, under 100

Mid 100-200

High over 200

Really high over 600

Some people come here for information and that is the numbers I averaged. Others, like me, are here for that but also spend a lot of time just socializing. Socializing would bump those numbers up quickly!

So what does 800+ posts in 3 or 4 months mean.....

I think I have a problem....:tongue_smilie:

I think anything under about 500 is low. But there is also the amount of time as a member. Some people are simply naturally quiet. They might not post more than a hundred times a year. When one adds to that that their posts are not offensive in any way this person tends to pass the troll test.

One of my first Ambien rambles (I try not to do that anymore) came after a six month board break. So a bunch of newbies didn't know me. One in particular said it was a good thing I had more than 5000 posts because I sounded like a troll. Not that I was trying to be harmful - I was just mostly incoherent.

So part of the troll test is a low post count. Most trolls can't hold it together to get past a couple hundred posts. Every once in a while on will make it to 300. It is almost like a serial killer thing. After the first kill the urge to do it again comes more often and with greater intensity. Often times trolls, like serial killers, think they can outsmart the authorities and test the troll hunters.

Honestly I think I could compare trolls and serial killers all day long. How odd is that?

Nope, I would say that you are not just here for information, you are here as an active part of the forum. The general board is made for people like us, who enjoy the conversations, the members, and the wealth of knowledge. We like the friendships and being able to help others with the little tid bits of knowledge we have acquired.

Life moves so fast anymore, it is hard for me to maintain a lot of friendships. I like it here, because I can post a question, and come back a few hours later and have heaps of BTDT advice. If I have a question IRL, I am not going to start calling my friends to see if anyone knows the answer.

One of my first Ambien rambles (I try not to do that anymore) came after a six month board break. So a bunch of newbies didn't know me. One in particular said it was a good thing I had more than 5000 posts because I sounded like a troll. Not that I was trying to be harmful - I was just mostly incoherent.

Just had to say---I am SO glad I stopped taking Ambien before I started using message boards. I shudder to think at what I may have posted!! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Although I read the boards daily, my comments/questions are sporadic depending on what is happening in our homeschool--or how my energy levels are at that time.

I actually don't consider myself that active here, only a step above lurking-status---but I've still managed to rack up a decent post count. If I was thinking of red-flags on post count, I think it wouldn't ever occur to me unless someone was under 30 posts and asking strange questions.

Low, under 100

Mid 100-200

High over 200

Really high over 600

are you telling me I have a big mouth?;):lol:

I guess I'm quite the blabbermouth! I would have thought one post per day would be pretty normal.

:smilielol5:

I started to post a lot more when I had a severe sprain and couldn't get around much. I decided I enjoyed myself more coming here than watching shows on tv that dh and the boys watched at night. So now I watch a couple of tv shows, but I spend most of my nights here. I enjoy it, and I've learned SO MUCH.

I don't share that I come here with even my closes friends. It's my closely guarded secret.;)

I've been here 2 1/2 years and only have 231 posts.

I swear I am not a troll!

I get so much info from this board, and I really enjoy coming here. It's wonderful to search the board and find all kinds of answers to all kinds of things. But, I don't always feel like I have anything to contribute to the discussion. I guess I am an introvert who enjoys being a wallflower most of the time!

So, there are some other valid reasons for having a low post count. (And, I had dial-up internet until a few months ago...which could be another valid reason!)

Edited by MeAmy

Denise and Chucki, I always love to read your posts as I feel like you are both familiar friends if that makes sense. I tend to usually post either about cats, Ikea or houses lol.

When I do venture out and post about other subjects such as low post count (in another thread) I tend to regret it.

p.s. I am off to put together yet another Ikea piece, this time an end table

are you telling me I have a big mouth?;):lol:

Yep, one big SMILING MOUTH! That is you my dear! :D

If you have a big mouth, I'd hate to see what she writes about me. :glare::lol:

I would never say such a think about you. ;)I would have to comment on your beak now wouldn't I!

Denise and Chucki, I always love to read your posts as I feel like you are both familiar friends if that makes sense. I tend to usually post either about cats, Ikea or houses lol.

When I do venture out and post about other subjects such as low post count (in another thread) I tend to regret it.

p.s. I am off to put together yet another Ikea piece, this time an end table

We live a few hours from each other, but have never met IRL.

I get so much info from this board, and I really enjoy coming here. It's wonderful to search the board and find all kinds of answers to all kinds of things. But, I don't always feel like I have anything to contribute to the discussion. I guess I am an introvert who enjoys being a wallflower most of the time!

So, there are some other valid reasons for having a low post count. (And, I had dial-up internet until a few months ago...which could be another valid reason!)

;) Maybe it's an Amy thing. I have fewer posts than I thought.

Amys can't be trolls. It just would never happen. :001_smile:

I feel like my post count is low sometimes but then I'll look at the post count of someone I "recognize" and realize it's about like mine. That makes me wonder if when I post people "recognize" me.

Edited by aggieamy
Messed up punctuation.

Join the club!!!! ;) I came back to the forums, after a homeschooling hiatus. It was just before a long distance move, plungeing into homeschooling with 4 kids, and converting to EO. This place has been my constant through all of it.

That said, when I first came I didn't expect to be taken to seriously. I still remember one sweet poster on the curriculum board telling me that, "No" she would not answer my question and I could learn to do a board search like everyone else!!!. (She said this very kindly, but firmly.) ;)

That said, when I first came I didn't expect to be taken to seriously. I still remember one sweet poster on the curriculum board telling me that, "No" she would not answer my question and I could learn to do a board search like everyone else!!!. (She said this very kindly, but firmly.) ;)

I've never understood that. That implies we should never discuss a topic more than once. We've discussed so much on this board! Are there any topics in this universe that hasn't been discussed at some point on this board?! I thought we WERE the center of the universe!!

Hm... now I'll be spending all day trying to come up with a brand new never-mentioned-before topic. I think I'll start a new thread. :D

It's not low post count that alarms people as much as someone appearing to stir the pot with a low post count. For example, if you have a post count less than 200 and start asking about spelling progams, suggestions on cloth diapers, read aloud recommendations, or if the tuna salad you made last week and forgot about in the fridge is still safe to eat then nobody's going to question that. That's not alarming or out of the ordinary for this board. However, if you have a post count of less than 200 and you start asking about what to do with your 13 year old daughter that's pregnant for the second time and argue with people who are giving heartfelt suggestions then people are going to wonder. Too much drama and too much arguing on an inflamatory subjest are trollish behaviors.

often when I try to do a search for a topic that I remember reading a few days prior, I can never find it again. I only find really old posts. Obviously I must not know how to search correctly lol. So I end up going back pages and pages and pages and hopefully finding the thread I am looking for. Sometimes I could swear that threads disappear or else I am just running right past them

I've never understood that. That implies we should never discuss a topic more than once. We've discussed so much on this board! Are there any topics in this universe that hasn't been discussed at some point on this board?! I thought we WERE the center of the universe!!

Hm... now I'll be spending all day trying to come up with a brand new never-mentioned-before topic. I think I'll start a new thread. :D

This was a bit different, because it was on the curriculum board. I think I asked something like, "Can someone give me the cliffnotes version of what MEP is all about?" The response: Search the forum then come back with a specific question.

I actually really appreciated what she did.

It's not low post count that alarms people as much as someone appearing to stir the pot with a low post count. For example, if you have a post count less than 200 and start asking about spelling progams, suggestions on cloth diapers, read aloud recommendations, or if the tuna salad you made last week and forgot about in the fridge is still safe to eat then nobody's going to question that. That's not alarming or out of the ordinary for this board. However, if you have a post count of less than 200 and you start asking about what to do with your 13 year old daughter that's pregnant for the second time and argue with people who are giving heartfelt suggestions then people are going to wonder. Too much drama and too much arguing on an inflamatory subjest are trollish behaviors.

Exactly what I was about to post.

Except I was going to say 'Whether your 15 year old daughter who already has taken ten APs and gotten 5s on all of them and is pregnant with her second set of twins (due on July 4th, the first set were born on January 1st) should get her own 20x15 bedroom or have to share one of the 20x20 bedrooms with a sister.

Low, under 100

Mid 100-200

High over 200

Really high over 600

:iagree: with those numbers.

Well...I was on the old boards. But people here are generally VERY accepting of newbies ime. I never look at post counts EXCEPT when a post screams TROLL. So it's not that people are stuck w/ newbie status--it's that that status explains really off posts.

I do think 150 is a low post count, but all that tells me is that you've joined recently-ish or that you don't post much. That alone means nothing to me. Of course it takes a long time to build up a post count. I'm a little suspicious of the ladies whose count is twice mine. I think I post too much, so they REALLY have a problem. ;) :lol:

ETA: Plus, once I "recognize" someone, I tend to forget when they're from. I remember OhElizabeth from...2001-ish? Long time ago! But I'm so bad w/ names (incl board names), it's a rare exception that I'll remember someone by name.

Edited by Aubrey

This is almost me. I have been here for 15 months and have about 160 posts. I check in at least every day and I read the general forum and the high school forum. But, most of the time I feel like I don't have anything to contribute when a post has gone on for 10 plus pages. Also, I will not just post an "I agree" post. I know about everyone's obsession of men in kilts. :001_smile: I have gained so much information in my homeschooling path and just general household information. I really really love to come here every day. I would hate to think that anyone on here would not think I am not real. I also know I have posted some things about myself that could be considered troll-like about my personal life but I only did so in response to othe posts. In fact, I am sitting here watching my instant streaming of The Office. Once my Theraflu hangover has went away, I am going to do some Algebra with my daughter. So, I guess I need to post more? I don't know but this is a great board that I enjoy.

Edited by Mona100
got rid of a word that shouldn't have been there

Anyone less than moi? :D

Actually, I do not fret over post count, as everyone has to be a newbie with a low count at some point. Took me a few months to type out my first response to a thread (as in I was nervous and shy, not a really slow typist)...as for starting my own new thread, egads!

Being an immigrant, I never knew what a "troll" was until I was called one shortly after I joined the forums and posted something some people took great offense for.

I was spared the hurt those negative responses caused because the kind-hearted moderator removed all the thread I started. Now here I am with over 900 posts and going strong. I am a long term camper here as long as I homeschool.

Have you only been here that long? Yeah, you might have a problem! :lol: :D

I have unlimited internet on my phone....I can check the boards from anywhere :) I am currently on a four hour car ride with dh driving, one kiddo on the DS and one passed out from partying with her cousins. I have Dante's Divine Comedy to read....or the boards. It has been a long weekend....my brain can't take Dante right now :)

I've been here since before the board changed format. My post count is low. It probably always will be. I'm just not very chatty on message boards. I often breeze through the day's new threads, skimming quickly, slowing down for a few. I'm not one to post a lot of "I agree" and "Hi and Welcome" posts, because I'm usually in a hurry.

I also have a policy of not participating in the vast majority of politically/emotionally charged threads, especially those that don't pertain to homeschooling issues. And because this board is so large, I often will refrain from posting a response to an issue if what I would have said or recommended has already been said or recommended.

And very often, like today for instance, by the time I can get online and come log in, the whole kerfluffle is already over and done with, and I've missed the whole thing, and any chance of contributing to it is already gone.

Which, for me, is probably a blessing. :)

I don't think a low post count alone qualifies as a red flag for potential troll activity. For me, it's a post count that grows dramatically quickly and always in the hotbed areas of discussion. Or, like that AM thing, it's just too tragic and outlandish and dramatic to be believable.

Many of us just like to listen, and to glean.

I have been visiting these boards since 2001 when I started homeschooling. I have a low post count too. I tend to not comment much on message boards, but do a lot of reading. The Well-Trained Mind Message Boards are my favorite homeschooling boards on the internet. I have learned so much. I appreciate you all! :)

I probably have a low post count for the amount of time I have been here. I mostly just read, and only post if I have something different to contribute. If someone else has already said what I would have said, I don't post.

:iagree:This is me too. Also, on some threads, by the time I read through the responses, I've lost interest and move on. I apparently have a short attention span!

It is nice to see other low post count people come out on this thread though. Low Posters Unite!! :lol: