Menu

What is considered a low post count?

O.K. I'll bite. After lurking here for a while, I've just started feeling comfortable enough to post a few times. I understand the need to be cautious about trolls - on another forum I'm on, these people have caused some significant disruption and damage. But for someone who is new and genuinely interested in what goes on here, it has been fairly difficult to break into this new circle of people. I've even tried introducing myself on one other thread. icon9.gif

I really have enjoyed this site and the wonderful resource it is for homeschooling and other areas of life, and I would love to get to know some of you more. I bet you I have one of the lowest post counts around! Does this count? I'll also let you in on another secret. I really enjoy smileys!:thumbup:

I have been visiting these boards since 2001 when I started homeschooling. I have a low post count too. I tend to not comment much on message boards, but do a lot of reading. The Well-Trained Mind Message Boards are my favorite homeschooling boards on the internet. I have learned so much. I appreciate you all! :)

. . . and I'm just ditto'ing again! Used to post under another name on the old format board, then lost all of my name/signin information and just gave up and went read-only for years. I used to be pretty active on the WTM yahoo high school group in ~2002, 2003, etc as well. But this is my go-to board and I'm so appreciative, as well.

So what does 800+ posts in 3 or 4 months mean.....

I think I have a problem....:tongue_smilie:

You can type fast?

I think a lot of things I never bother to post (probably for the best :tongue_smilie:) because I'm not the greatest typist. Not at ALL. :lol:

I missed the thread earlier but I am also fairly new on this board but I do participate quite frequently. I have over 400 posts so I would still be considered low even though I have only been a member for 5 months. I didn't come on the board to just read, I jumped in right away. (I don't find fault in just reading, I just wanted to communicate and share with others)

I hope that people aren't nervous about me. I did go back and check my profile and I was surprised that 43 people had viewed my profile. I am curious why this is done? Is it because you don't feel that you "know" me yet or is there some other reason behind it?

I to love being able to come and post questions and gain insight from others. I have learned a lot and hopefully I have shared some important things with others as well. :001_smile:

Edited by fourcatmom

It's not low post count that alarms people as much as someone appearing to stir the pot with a low post count. For example, if you have a post count less than 200 and start asking about spelling progams, suggestions on cloth diapers, read aloud recommendations, or if the tuna salad you made last week and forgot about in the fridge is still safe to eat then nobody's going to question that. That's not alarming or out of the ordinary for this board. However, if you have a post count of less than 200 and you start asking about what to do with your 13 year old daughter that's pregnant for the second time and argue with people who are giving heartfelt suggestions then people are going to wonder. Too much drama and too much arguing on an inflamatory subjest are trollish behaviors.

:iagree: The only time I even think to look at post count is when someone seems to be stirring the pot or there is a lot of drama or I am thinking of buying something on the sale and swap board.

I missed the thread earlier but I am also fairly new on this board but I do participate quite frequently. I have over 400 posts so I would still be considered low even though I have only been a member for 5 months. I didn't come on the board to just read, I jumped in right away. (I don't find fault in just reading, I just wanted to communicate and share with others)

I hope that people aren't nervous about me. I did go back and check my profile and I was surprised that 43 people had viewed my profile. I am curious why this is done? Is it because you don't feel that you "know" me yet or is there some other reason behind it?

I to love being able to come and post questions and gain insight from others. I have learned a lot and hopefully I have shared some important things with others as well. :001_smile:

I have not checked your profile....but now that you mention it I feel I must :D. Do you think having a high or low number of people who have checked your profile could indicate one way or the other whether or not you are real?

Touch screen mobile devices have sent me to many a strangers profile :glare: It is around that time I am cursing my phone out, "No, you idiot! I didn't want to go there!!!!" :D

Touch screen mobile devices have sent me to many a strangers profile :glare: It is around that time I am cursing my phone out, "No, you idiot! I didn't want to go there!!!!" :D

LOL! Me too! Matter fact, I read your "No, you idiot..." line in my voice because I am so often saying, "No,no, no!" lol

I agree with the clarification a few others have already stated so well. Low post counts don't alert or concern me. Pot stirrers, drama livers and just the absurd is what I begin to notice. You start to get this slight tickle in the back of your brain that something just isn't quite "right". You know what I mean?

I've been here since 2001 or 2002 and on this new board since its first day with only a 1700-something post count. Lord, I hope the number of posts per year aren't an indicator or I'm in deep trouble. :)

I have not checked your profile....but now that you mention it I feel I must :D. Do you think having a high or low number of people who have checked your profile could indicate one way or the other whether or not you are real?

Well, hopefully you have learned that I am REAL from my profile.

Although at first when I looked at the number, I was thinking...did that many people think I wasn't real? I don't know, it just made me think and I am jumping in at the end as I usually do. I also am starting to think that I am a thread KILLER...so hopefully some nice person will post after me and prove me wrong. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I would have never thought I had a low post count, but it seems like some might think so... I think it is very different on these boards than on another forum I am on. I really enjoy reading and have learned so much.

Also, I will be honest. If I actually posted all of the posts I typed out, I would have a super high count. However, honestly, some of the people on this board scare me ;) I am only half joking :tongue_smilie: Some posters are ... intense...:) :leaving:

I probably have a low post count for the amount of time I have been here. I mostly just read, and only post if I have something different to contribute. If someone else has already said what I would have said, I don't post.

Spock - I hope to see more of you around here because I LOVE your avatar. I'd like to see it in all kinds of threads. :001_smile:

I *heart* Spock, McCoy and Kirk.

I've been here for almost 3 years and I'm just now knowing on 600. Me thinks me's got some work to do. :D

I guess I'm just kind of an introvert. Or perhaps it's just that I really don't have a lot to offer that hasn't usually already been said. I also don't have too much extra time. I've been checking in more lately but usually I'm lucky if I get onto the board more that a couple times a month. It's hard to build a high count when your MIA. :tongue_smilie: