Menu

What do you think about the book "The Outsiders"?

I saw the movie when I was younger but I never read the book. My daughter is a Jr. in high school and is studying the 1950's/60's right now. Is this a good book to have her read? Any online study guides? I didn't know if it was one of those books that is commonly recommended.

ADDING THIS RESPONSE TO MY ORIGINAL POST:

Ok, I am officially going to get it for her to read. I think I'll read it as well. This evening I was looking for something fun to do with my 17 year old dd and I said lets make a stop motion movie. We decided on a fall theme and she suggested poetry by Robert Frost. He has several and I came across the poem Nothing Gold Can Stay which I remembered was in the movie. Stay Gold!

So we made the movie using her drawing, my watercolor, tissue paper, music, sound effects, our Nikon D40 and iMovie. So I am here to share it with everyone as a thank you for your answers! It is located at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYEv4Mewto

Edited by Michelle My Bell

It was my favorite book when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I memorized 'Nothing Gold Can Stay' and a friend cross stitched and framed the poem for me :001_smile:. I can't think of too much objectionable for a mature middle-schooler.

I think it would be a good book for a study on 50's/60's class division. By doing a quick google search under 'the outsiders study guide' several sites came up.

I saw the movie when I was younger but I never read the book. My daughter is a Jr. in high school and is studying the 1950's/60's right now. Is this a good book to have her read? Any online study guides? I didn't know if it was one of those books that is commonly recommended.

I can only say that I enjoyed the book as a teen.

The movie was pretty good, the book better! I would absolutely have her read it.

I know lots of people love it, we read it in 8th grade and I don't remember being shocked by anything. But, I really did not like the book. I don't remember why, it jusy wasn't my thing...It may have been partially the required reading element. I LOVED to read, but jad no time to read for enjoyment with all of the school reading, I did dislike many of the assigned choices :glare:

Ok, I am officially going to get it for her to read. I think I'll read it as well. This evening I was looking for something fun to do with my 17 year old dd and I said lets make a stop motion movie. We decided on a fall theme and she suggested poetry by Robert Frost. He has several and I came across the poem Nothing Gold Can Stay which I remembered was in the movie. Stay Gold!

So we made the movie using her drawing, my watercolor, tissue paper, music, sound effects, our Nikon D40 and iMovie. So I am here to share it with everyone as a thank you for your answers! It is located at...

That's wonderful!

I'm going to have my children watch that and see if they want to try something similar. I've never done anything like that. Should be fun!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy

Loved it--beautiful video.

That's wonderful!

I'm going to have my children watch that and see if they want to try something similar. I've never done anything like that. Should be fun!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy

Thank You! It is a lot of fun to do but time consuming. iMovie is incredible for film making. I actually have Final Cut Pro (movie making software) installed on my computer, but I don't know how to use it yet. LOL

Ugh, again. I found this blog which says it's the whole book. I can't read past the first few pages I dislike it so much.

The Outsiders

I guess it is written like it is by a teenager, but from what I understand the author was a teenager when she wrote it. That changes my perspective. I think it might still be an interesting read in light of that.