Menu

What is the point of having a "No Pets" policy when

people just feel free to call them "service animals?" Then you're stuck, because under the Americans With Disabilities Act, you can't ask for proof of anything.

We were eating lunch at Costco today when a man in an electric scooter zoomed up to the tables with two shih-tzus on his lap. He proceeded to put them on the table and feed them a hot dog! :ack2: I found it absolutely repulsive, and went over to complain to a manager. I was told that there is nothing they could do; the man claimed they were service animals (I seriously doubt that, btw) and therefore they had to allow them wherever he wanted them to go. I stressed to the manager that I was really sickened by the thought that my children might be eating off a table where a dog's behind had been, and all he could say was, "I can assure you we'll clean everywhere the dogs have been."

Gross. I think it will be a while before I'm willing to eat there again. Somehow I'm not sure that in all the hustle and bustle of the crowded store, someone was going to come immediately over to disinfect the tables. I know there are various breeds of dogs who work as service animals, and that not everyone has a visible disability. Heck, we're even thinking of getting on a waiting list for a service dog for my autistic son, but I think it is outrageous that people should be allowed to bring animals wherever they choose with no proof that they are more than just pets. You can also rest assured that NO dog of mine, service animal or otherwise, will ever rest a behind on a table where people eat!

Blech.

They could not allow the dog on the table, b/c the law reads (in part): The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed. Customers are not generally allowed on the table :D

I do think there are going to have to be changes to this law at some point, mostly b/c Americans are just not capable of being reasonable. People will insist on calling pets service animals, and bringing them everywhere. From the viewpoint of someone who doesn't need a service dog, I would have no problem with saying that they need to certified, and proof of that certification needs to be carried. Most people carry ID almost everywhere, and there's no reason the proof couldn't be a driver's license type card that is easily carried in a wallet or pocket. Maybe someone with service dog experience can chime in if that's a bad idea for some reason.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

Thats weird. There is a lady here in town who lost all her vision in one eye and about half in the other... in a car accident. Her doggie, Pecos, became her service dog and does a really good job... but poor Pecos failed the test to become a certified service dog and he can't go in restaurants with her and such. The grocery store owners know her and let him in as long as he minds his manners and so does the coffee shop, but that is about it....

That's just inappropriate.

I know of someone who has a service dog for her autistic son and it did, indeed, give me a sort of mental shift in understanding that unexpected situations (at least for me!) can have service animals who do a lot of good. But feeding an animal on a table in a restaurant (even fast food)... that's just inconsiderate, right? I can't imagine a service purpose to that!

I googled shih-tzu as service dog and found on this site http://www.psychdog.org/faq.html

"Avoid brachicephalic breeds for Service Dog work—the ones with pushed-in noses such as Boxers, Pekinese, Pug, Bulldogs and Shih-Tzu. Their breathing problems are caused by a restriction in their airways, and a dog that is working in the public eye should not sounds like an idling engine."

Bolded mine. I'm still looking for more info.

I think it's disgusting that he put them on the table.

They could have been service dogs though. I was once in a ladies morning bible study with a lady who was a little person. She had some other issues too. She also had to ride in a scooter. Her service dogs were small lap dog types. She had two. They both were able to fetch things, like the phone, or remote, something she dropped, or her purse, etc. One of them could sense when she was about to have a seizure; she had some fascinating stories! If she was unconscious, they were trained to get help if possible, it was crazy the stuff they could do!!

She trained service dogs too, when she was younger, and only worked with smaller dogs b/c of her size.

Thats weird. There is a lady here in town who lost all her vision in one eye and about half in the other... in a car accident. Her doggie, Pecos, became her service dog and does a really good job... but poor Pecos failed the test to become a certified service dog and he can't go in restaurants with her and such. The grocery store owners know her and let him in as long as he minds his manners and so does the coffee shop, but that is about it....

It would seem that it is against federal law for them to refuse her dog. Did you read the link in the OP?

katilac, I think some sort of registration card is a brilliant idea.

I just want to add that I *DO* think services dogs should be allowed to absolutely everywhere, I just don't think they should EVER be allowed on tables!!!

:iagree:

This. I can't imagine, personally, that people pretending non-service animals are service animals so that they can bring them into stores and restaurants is a huge problem requiring a policy change.

However, I also can't imagine that service dogs have to be allowed on tables. The manager could have asked this man to keep his dog off the table.

Now that is just wrong. I think having "certified" service dogs for places is a good idea, however the situation you described is absurd. If the dogs meets the needs of the person does it matter if the dog can stop on a dime or ignore a tasty morsel of something (who knows what dogs eat when sniffing around).

If the dog can meet the needs of the individual (regardless of breed) through an observation (to assure they are not just a pet) then they should get a certificate.

They should also know that means no special treatment. They get to sit on the floor. Or the chair, at most. :D

Why didn't you talk to the man himself?

I didn't directly approach the man because I am pretty non-confrontational IRL. He was well aware that most of the customers were staring/glaring at him, and he did nothing to change his behavior. I doubt my words would have mattered to him.

IMO, that is a matter for the management to handle.

People will insist on calling pets service animals, and bringing them everywhere.

At my job, we see lots of "emotional support dogs" which are treated as service animals but aren't generally the breeds (or temperaments!) we're accustomed to from trained service animals.

I do see how there could be an emotional support dog for some people, but I definitely see more abuse of the loophole than I do genuine need; it's sad. And irritating.

Yes, you can buy the vests anywhere. My mom has talked about buying one for her dog. (A dog she is emotionally dependent on, but is not a service dog.) :glare:

I think there should be something in place to monitor or register a service dog. I don't care to judge what kind of service they provide, but service dogs should at least be capable of behaving themselves in public. I don't see how dogs that are barking and trying to jump on/attack other people are focused enough on their owners to provide any kind of service.

The rules in place right now are just too vague.

This. I can't imagine, personally, that people pretending non-service animals are service animals so that they can bring them into stores and restaurants is a huge problem requiring a policy change.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a growing problem. There are many companies providing so-called "certification" for a fee. Some celebrities have even promoted the idea.

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/03/10/fake-service-dogs/

Rosie O'Donnell Loves Fake Service Dogs

Cesar's Way Wrong About Service Dogs

Google search for "service dog ID" -- note the ad copy, "get yours before the law changes"

If this type of self-centered behavior continues, something will have to change. I'd be especially concerned about the scenario of a poorly trained fake service dog behaving aggressively toward a legitimate one in a public place. That could turn out very, very badly. :(

Am I understanding correctly that anyone can have a dog and label it a service dog? No certification, no nothing is needed, other than that the owner declares it to be a service dog? If so, just wow. I never knew.

No, a service dog is specially trained to do a particular task that assists the owner with one or more major life activities and will be certified. A "companion animal" is not, but courts have ruled all over the place on this when landlords have been sued for disallowing these animals.

Basically, all one has to do is call it a "companion animal" and get any sort of health professional at all to agree that you "need" it and landlords in no-pet buildings and also public accommodations have to allow it.

A Companion animal is a pet, in my opinion, but some judges disagree. What does a pet DO? It provides comfort and companionship....

No, a service dog is specially trained to do a particular task that assists the owner with one or more major life activities and will be certified. A "companion animal" is not, but courts have ruled all over the place on this when landlords have been sued for disallowing these animals.

Basically, all one has to do is call it a "companion animal" and get any sort of health professional at all to agree that you "need" it and landlords in no-pet buildings and also public accommodations have to allow it.

A Companion animal is a pet, in my opinion, but some judges disagree. What does a pet DO? It provides comfort and companionship....

Thanks for explaining!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/fashion/sundaystyles/14PETS.html?pagewanted=all

"These days people rely on a veritable Noah's Ark of support animals. Tami McLallen, a spokeswoman for American Airlines, said that although dogs are the most common service animals taken onto planes, the airline has had to accommodate monkeys, miniature horses, cats and even an emotional support duck. 'Its owner dressed it up in clothes,' she recalled.

There have also been at least two instances (on American and Delta) in which airlines have been presented with emotional support goats."

:blink: :lol:

There was a show on TLC about a year or so ago, called My Monkey Baby. People had those capuchin monkeys that they would dress up and treat like human children. One couple got a service animal vest for the monkey so they could bring it in restaurants. The guy either put on an arm sling or used crutches, I cannot remember which, just so people would not say anything. There was nothing wrong with the guy; they shoes him removing the aid as soon as he got to his car.

So yes, there are people that will lie about their pet being a service animal just so they can take it places.

I really wish people would tighten up the boundaries on this. I say this having known someone that trains service animals and having met people that have "service animals" they've "self trained via online instructions" (basically, they simply have a fairly well behaved pet). I understand that pets can be an emotional support for people with varying degrees of emotional and mental issues, but that is not the same as needing and having a service animal.

Guest submarines

Public places are incredibly germy. Dirty hands after visiting a washoom (or hands that touched a dog), other people's saliva, flies, a sick child's snot...A dog is not inherently dirtier or germier than a public bathroom, fastfood restaurant table, or a playground.

I have absolutely no problem with a handicapped man putting his dog on a table. Big deal, really. Those who are bothered need to carry sanitizing wipes with them at all times, and wipe all surfaces all the time.

Public places are incredibly germy. Dirty hands after visiting a washoom (or hands that touched a dog), other people's saliva, flies, a sick child's snot...A dog is not inherently dirtier or germier than a public bathroom, fastfood restaurant table, or a playground.

I have absolutely no problem with a handicapped man putting his dog on a table. Big deal, really. Those who are bothered need to carry sanitizing wipes with them at all times, and wipe all surfaces all the time.

Perhaps it's more a matter of courtesy.

Now see, I would wipe my child's snot with my bare hand if I really, really needed to for some reason. I would not wipe a dog's behind with my hand.

No comparison.

Saliva and flies don't compare either.

This is something that irritates me to no end. I see dogs EVERYWHERE--restaurants, grocery stores, dept stores. On leashes, in strollers, in the child seat of a shopping cart, tucked into their owner's purses. I was in Wal-Mart one day, and a lady with the dog about the size of a Jack Russell got in line behind me. It was on a leash, but she allowed it to jump at, and nearly knock over, my 2 yo daughter. When I questioned the appropriateness of her having it in the store and pointed out that service animals should be well-trained, she FREAKED out on me, and actually followed me out of the store screaming at me.

I agree that something needs to change. I think that service animals should be (a) trained WELL, (b) registered and licensed, and © that management should be able to ask for proof of the animal's registration as a service animal.

Edited by LemonPie

I do think there are going to have to be changes to this law at some point, mostly b/c Americans are just not capable of being reasonable.

I HOPE there will be chanegs to this law, for the above reason. The "my pet is my baby" people really are very selfish. it's still an animal. Those with *genuine* needs of the services of an animal are not generally unreasonable - it's those using it as an excuse to never be seperated from "their baby" that are. (rolls eyes)

People will insist on calling pets service animals, and bringing them everywhere. From the viewpoint of someone who doesn't need a service dog, I would have no problem with saying that they need to certified, and proof of that certification needs to be carried. Most people carry ID almost everywhere, and there's no reason the proof couldn't be a driver's license type card that is easily carried in a wallet or pocket. Maybe someone with service dog experience can chime in if that's a bad idea for some reason.

I also think they should be certified that they are fullfilling a legitimate medical/health need to stop the abuse. A specific type of tag to hang on the dog's collar would work, and always be on the dog.

Edited by gardenmom5

I googled shih-tzu as service dog and found on this site http://www.psychdog.org/faq.html

"Avoid brachicephalic breeds for Service Dog work—the ones with pushed-in noses such as Boxers, Pekinese, Pug, Bulldogs and Shih-Tzu. Their breathing problems are caused by a restriction in their airways, and a dog that is working in the public eye should not sounds like an idling engine."

Fwiw, and slight OT I know: I know that in Australia, boxers are sometimes trained as guide dogs for the blind. Our boxer doesn't sound like an idling engine either, although she does snore something shocking at times :lol:

Why don't you send an e-mail to the Dept of Health and see if you get a response? If they agree that it's an issue (and I'd certainly have problems with it), then you could put them in touch with that manager and perhaps get the law applied appropriately.

I'm another who really dislikes seeing critters in public places except for genuine assistance critters. And I live on a farm. I'm not anti-animal in general nor anti-germs. I do believe in common courtesy and I know many people have allergies. Pets have their places, but there are some non-pet places IMO.

There is no national certification in the US for service animals, and this is not the fault of those of us who have them. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I spent an inordinate sum of money to have my dog, who is able to detect seizures by sheer genetics, trained to be my service animal. She can detect my seizures, your seizures - she isn't particular -- like I said, it's a genetic gift.

She can lead me home after a seizure even if I am in a complete fugue. She will pull me to the ground to prevent me from falling prior to a seizure. She will lay across my body and prevent anyone but uniformed personnel from touching me.

And when I'm not in a "bad" period? You'd just think she was the most well trained family dog you ever saw -- wearing a vest.

That said -- by the ADAs rules, yes, you CAN ask if she is a service dog. What you CAN'T ask is what she is a service dog FOR. Finally, the biggest key is this:

Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

An animal is not a service animal if they are not TRAINED. Service animals do not jump up on people. They don't bark at people. They don't pee in stores. They sure as sh!t don't sit on tables. They are trained to do a job and otherwise remain all but invisible (or, in Asta's case - horribly cute).

Service animals don't have to be leashed to not run into traffic / eat someone else's food / do something stupid.

Where I currently live? She is not even considered a service dog. Why? Because the country only recognizes seeing eye dogs. Period. They don't even recognize dogs for the deaf. It is a dog friendly place, and I can take her many places - even restaurants, but certainly not groceries, movies, etc. I have had to curtail my activities due to this.

I understand people getting upset over this issue, and that table thing was disgusting, but try and remember that the majority of disabilities are invisible. You will be seeing more and more service dogs in the coming years with war veterans as the VA has found them to be invaluable for brain injuries and PTSD. It is going to take a systemic shift in the population's attitude towards 'hidden' disabilities.

I would guess, however, that as these other folk enter into society with 'real' disabilities, and carrying designer dogs in purses goes out of style, one won't be having as many problems with Fifi in Walmart.

a

P.s. Many people "get around" the ADA question with me by asking "oh - are you training her to be a service dog?" And then the inevitable "what is her specialty?" I don't have to answer, but I always do. I think I refused once, when the guy was being a jerk.

Something not really part of the discussion, but I remembered while in the shower ( :blush: ) -- if I hadn't been blessed (for lack of better terminology) that my OWN dog could detect seizures (she figured it out LONG before the doctors did) -- you know what my other option was? To get on a waiting list for a "helper" dog that a company "hoped would, SOMEDAY be able to detect seizures just by spending a lot of time with me and getting in tune with me".

Yes - that is really the method used.

Epilepsy wards in hospitals 'kill' for dogs like mine. It is one way they root out subclinical seizures that they 'know' are happening but that they can't find on standard tests. Like those cancer dogs you've read about.

Assistance animal fakers really bother me. But if I had *had* to go through one of those agencies? I would have been screwed. My dog was already FIVE - none of them would take her for their "specialized training" (believe me - I called ALL over the US). I ended up taking her to a highly regarded, specialized trainer who trained her one on one, all day for over a month, and then trained us together for weeks.

It is 5 years later, and she is still trained off leash - no treats involved - and other than being old, a bit obstinate and not too fond of massive crowds (cataracts), she is still as sharp as a tack.

a

I have had a friend with a service dog and he wore his working uniform while on duty. it also said he was a service dog. Don't all service pets have something they wear when 'working'.

I like the idea of having a card for proof too. I think the manament could have told the man to put the dogs on the floor. so not right to have them on the table. gross.

Is there really an epidemic of people who carry around fake service dogs? If I see a person once a year with a service dog it's been a busy year (and I live in a city).

I think it is perfectly reasonable that the guy with the dogs on the table did indeed have service dogs. It was probably rather insensitive of him to put them on the table because it freaks people out. But maybe to him they are his best buds. We let our cat on the table. That probably grosses some people out.

I was wondering about that.

I hear it, and I read it on the internet, and I saw one woman that made me go "huh?" (sm dog, in big shoulder satchel), but later on, a medical person "in the know" told me she was actually a diabetic, and the dog sensed her sugar levels. I've actually heard of those animals, so... so much for judgement, eh?

a

Is there really an epidemic of people who carry around fake service dogs? If I see a person once a year with a service dog it's been a busy year (and I live in a city).

I think it is perfectly reasonable that the guy with the dogs on the table did indeed have service dogs. It was probably rather insensitive of him to put them on the table because it freaks people out. But maybe to him they are his best buds. We let our cat on the table. That probably grosses some people out.

I see people carrying their little bitty dogs around in stores quite a bit. Those stores have signs on the doors stating "Service Dogs Only".

I think that health code regulations in this case would trump any misguided idea that the manager has that he cannot ask the man to remove the dog from the table. I believe the manager had a very erroneous interpretation of the ADA in this case.

I have no problems whatsoever with service dogs but when it presents a health threat I do have problems.

I think there are more and more folks pretending their pets are service dogs.

Or else there's more disabled humans not keeping their dogs in work mode when they should be.

It's got to be one or the other. Either way, not acceptable. My dog is a pet. She's not a service animal. I always get ticked off when I go to the post office here and the sign says, "No pets, except seeing-eye dogs." To me it shows a general disrespect of the entire category of service animals. A service animal is like a pet to the 10th power. Not even in the same realm. :glare:

That being said, I don't believe service animals are exempt from following other laws. So, I would imagine there might be a Health Dept. law that was violated in the OPs case that should have been enforced.

For all those saying that dogs are no more disgusting than people, that's probably true.

It makes people's disgust with the dog on the table consistent.

Pretty much anyone would flip out if a man plopped his bare backside on top of a cafe table.

Or their bare feet. Or licking off of it.

I'm all for service animals. I'm not in favor of animals on tables in public eating areas. What people choose to do in their own homes is up to them.

Now from this site there is this... "What kind of identification do I need for my SD?

Federal law does not require you to have identification for your SD. Though, you should be prepared to answer the following questions should you be asked by a gatekeeper of public access: Is that a Service Animal? Are you disabled? What disability-related tasks have your SD been trained to perform? If you decide to carry and use identification for your SD, then make sure that you inform gatekeepers that such identification, while provided in this instance, may not be required of other teams, as a condition of entry into a public space."

I'm extraordinarily biased on this, as we have a REGISTERED guide dog for my son. There's the big difference. Registered. Canada (and other countries) require certification from a governing body (Assistance Dogs International) whose mission is to "Establish and promote standards of excellence in all areas of Assistance Dog acquisition, training and partnership". This is our second registered guide dog. Both required extensive training and then the family received extensive training. It is a sad fact that the U.S. is a laughing stock in service animal circles. They truly are. There are no governing rules so anyone can "train" any animal any time and call it a service animal. Without some form of standard, they really make the rest of us look bad. :glare: Oh well. That man (and MANY others) would have a very rude awakening if they ever visited Canada!

As for where they are allowed: anywhere the public goes. This does exclude private property, private (golf) clubs, private beaches, and churches. In those cases, we must get permission from the person responsible for the premises. We've never had anyone say no, but we do not take the dog to other people's homes.

ETA: if you'd like to see pics of my boy with each of his guide dogs, you can see them in pics that are on my profile. They're very cute!

Edited by specialmama

It probably depends on your area. Here, you can expect to see a dog in a store pretty much every time you are out. If I am shopping for a few hours, I would expect to see 5 or more dogs. It is rare that I see a marked service dog. It is typically someone carrying a small dog. Trained service dogs are usually pretty easy to spot. Their demeanor is different than pets, they are working and it is obvious. I do agree that some 'pets' can also be service dogs.....but it is still pretty easy to tell that they are treated as pets and either lack training or the training isn't enforced.

For all those saying that dogs are no more disgusting than people, that's probably true.

It makes people's disgust with the dog on the table consistent.

Pretty much anyone would flip out if a man plopped his bare backside on top of a cafe table.

Thank you!

I'm all for service animals but there is absolutely no need for the dogs to be on the table. As Asta said, trained service animals should be all but invisible.

I do believe that the manager was in error in the OP. Having an animal on the table has got to be a health code violation.