Menu

Seriously un-well-trained Mom (in this dept.) needs your beauty/girly tips

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not get a cheap haircut. I am as frugal as the day is long, and was always going to the $20 or so stylists. I now go to a much better stylist. I thought it would be hard for me to make the switch, but the results have been incredible. I am a wash and wear gal, and because of that a good cut is essential. I love it, and dh does, too.

I used Glycolix acid wipes in the evening. It exfoliates the skin. It may sting some skin types, but it is the only thing I've found to keep me from looking scaly.

A little foundation with sunscreen, sweep of blush and lipstick, and throw on my silver hoops and I'm ready to go.

I tossed out ALL my clothes and filled my closet with Eileen Fisher clothes. They are made to mix and match and I love the quality fabrics. The new prices are $$$ but they can be bought (new and used) for about $10 to $40 and up.

I looked at her collection, and I liked it. The prices are steep. Where would you buy her clothes used?

Also, are there any other good designers or clothing collections similar that are not as pricey.

Haven't read beyond the first page.

I would suggest any gal -- especially in their 30's and up -- to go to a Nordstrom, Macy's, or high end store's lingerie department. Get fitted for a bra. You need to invest in 5-6 good quality bras. Every 6 months, look for a replacement set and toss out any bras that are worn out. I agree that nude color or tan works better than other colors.

Another thing I invested in was a session at Nordstrom's makeup counter for an eyebrow session with an Anastasia rep. I bought this set to work on my brows at home:

http://www.anastasia.net/product.php?productid=16145&cat=249&page=1

I have friends who swear by threading eyebrows. Me? Meh.:001_huh:

The majority of the girls in my area are darker haired/darker skinned (Italian, Greek, Latina) which is associated with thicker/darker leg hair at earlier ages. I cannot imagine what my leg hair would have looked like in 8th grade without shaving - I would have been as hairy as a teenage guy. The only people I knew who didn't start shaving until middle school or beyond were friends of Scandanavian descent.

I am Norwegian dh is German. I shave a couple times a week at most and only below the knees. My leg hair is sparing and more like stiff light brown body hair, not course or dark. Dd12 inherited my genes. As a teen my leg hair was blond, as it hers.

DD4 is my great niece and is dark complected, dark haired. She has more body hair at 4yo than I do. Her legs have a lot of 1/2 inch long, dark hair on them.

I will discourage dd12 from shaving unless she really wants to. DD4 on the other hand...well, I guess that we will cross this bridge much sooner with dd4. I have thought about it (and read many threads here on the topic) and I will let dd4 start shaving when she can do it herself. That will be much younger that I would prefer.

I looked at her collection, and I liked it. The prices are steep. Where would you buy her clothes used?

Her designs are expensive in the stores. However I buy like new and new on eBay for very cheap. This week I bought five items for $19, $7, $15, $15 and $27 - all in excellent or new condition.

My favorite so far is the raincoat, it looks like a trench coat - I bought a black one after hearing that a trench coat is a wardrobe essential. Ladies on this board suggested i watch a show about 10 wardrobe essentials - cant remember the name of the show.

I have my eye out for the next 'cyan' color raincoat that gets posted :001_smile:

Her designs are expensive in the stores. However I buy like new and new on eBay for very cheap. This week I bought five items for $19, $7, $15, $15 and $27 - all in excellent or new condition.

My favorite so far is the raincoat, it looks like a trench coat - I bought a black one after hearing that a trench coat is a wardrobe essential. Ladies on this board suggested i watch a show about 10 wardrobe essentials - cant remember the name of the show.

I have my eye out for the next 'cyan' color raincoat that gets posted :001_smile:

Tim Gunn's 10 Wardrobe Essentials

Really? None of my friends started shaving their legs until late junior high or high school. I don't think I would allow my daughter to start shaving before the 8th grade unless she had a lot of hair and was really uncomfortable.

FWIW, I don't shave my legs at all because I have very minimal, fine, thin, light hair and shaving makes it more noticeable not less.

I let my girls shave their legs when they are ready. My oldest had longer, darker leg hair. My youngest just shaved for the first time, and no I didn't think she needed it. She's very nordic like her dad, and very little hair.

How do you know the clothes will look good on you? I don't usually like buying clothes I haven't tried on.

The majority of the girls in my area are darker haired/darker skinned (Italian, Greek, Latina) which is associated with thicker/darker leg hair at earlier ages. I cannot imagine what my leg hair would have looked like in 8th grade without shaving - I would have been as hairy as a teenage guy. The only people I knew who didn't start shaving until middle school or beyond were friends of Scandanavian descent.

I'm Latina/Native American and all of my friends in the 'hood were too. My parent was old school and the rule was no makeup, nail polish, or shaving until 8th grade. Back then many Hispanic families were ultra conservative and delayed girls from looking too grown up. Then once that happens, boys get the idea and dating suddenly become the demand. I think elementary grades is way too early.

ETA: However, once the quinceneria is at age 15, it is then proper for the girl to be fully coiffed and dressing like a young lady. But not like a streetwalker.

Edited by tex-mex

For a beauty tip....if you buy your makeup at a drug store, go to ones that will let you return things that are the wrong shade. Walgreens is where I go. For foundation, I will buy several colors of one product line with the intention of returning the wrong shades. Since testers are no longer available, this is the only way to do it. I am often surprised how wrong I am on the color that I thought was correct!

Hair products...do the same as above. Many mall stores that just sell hair products have this guarantee. My hair is thin and very fly away. People always suggest products to me, but they are rarely the right item for my hair. I do try some of them, but only buy them at a store that will let me return them. I make sure to buy the products I do like at the same stores to off set my returns. LOL

I am light complected and I tan easily. I need 3 colors of foundation each year. Different seasons, mean my color changes just enough that the foundation colors are off.

For lip stick...I buy the expensive ones at the mall. It is too hard for me to get a good color at the drug store. I have the ladies at Nordstrom pick colors for me (with my guidance). LOL It keeps me more up to date.

I do not color my mousy blond hair, but instead invest in a cut every 6 weeks. I have short hair but change my style a couple times a year. It amazes me how many people comment on my hair style changes! I get comments all the time about my style choices. It makes me realize how much people really do notice.

Invest in good tools! I have a Chi hair straightener. I bought a mid-range brand when I left my good one it the cabin we vacation at and couldn't get back to it for a month. I rarely straightened my hair when I had the cheaper one. It took much longer to do the work and it didn't turn out as nice. Once I got my good one back, it was a breeze to straighten my hair again.

Invest in good makeup brushes and WASH them! I use a bit of shampoo or make-up remover to wash my brushes periodically. It is amazing how iky they get and how nice they are when they are clean again. They get full of oil and bacteria...cleaning them will help with acne flare ups. I put a bit of cleaner in my hand and work it through the bristles side ways. (Don't grind the brush into your hand). I let it sit for a few minutes to loosen the debris. I rinse in warm water ran into the bottom of the sink. Once I get the bulk of the soap out, I run under fresh water until clear. Sometimes I need to repeat the washing a few times until the water runs clear. I squeeze/blot dry with a towel and put it in a cup, bristles up, to dry. I try to wash them each time I open a new foundation.

For simple make-up, I prefer mineral powder foundation. I use this. They're Canadian. You can order very cheap samples to figure out which is your foundation shade. You can also order eyeshadow and blush samples to play with. I tend to stick to neutral shades, but find that lighter pinks and lilac look really nice with my brown eyes when used sparingly as a highlight.

For everyday simple make-up, first I wash my face and moisturize well. Let the moisturizer sink in a few minutes. Then, I use the mineral foundation, a wee bit of blush, mascara and lip gloss.

If your lipsticks all look awful, throw them away. Get a very pale pink lip gloss that just enhances your natural lip colour instead of masking it. It will look fresh and pretty because it looks like YOU.

For clothes... I am a curvy girl with an hourglass shape. If you have measurements outside of the standard sizing, you will have to get used to the idea of having clothes altered. In general, I buy pants and skirts to fit my hips, then have the waist taken in smaller. No matter your bust size, buy shirts and jackets that fit your shoulders, and make sure they are fitted throughout the body. Boxy jackets and blouses make you look boxy. If you have curves, embrace them and get things altered to fit them. Don't buy baggy clothes thinking it will hide fat. It doesn't. It just makes you look bigger than you really are under all that fabric. If you have a seriously large bust that just doesn't fit a button down shirt, try layering a pretty camisole underneath and unbuttoning the shirt to just below the bust.

Layering is your best friend, but remember to keep the thinnest layers closest to your body and work outward to heavier fabrics. I always wear clothes by the rule of three. Wear at least 3 pieces to make an outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt is not an outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt and a cardigan is an outfit. Or, jeans and a t-shirt and a button-down shirt is an outfit. I count scarves in the 3 pieces, if it is worn on the body (not just tied to your handbag), and if it is not your winter muffler. If you wear a dress, that counts as 2 pieces. Always have 3 accessories -- so that includes rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, pins/brooches (any jewellery actually), watches, belts and handbags, but not shoes. You still have to wear shoes, though. ;)

So, today... I am wearing jeans, a tank top, a button down blouse unbuttoned to show the tank top. I also have on earrings, a watch and my handbag. Since it is cooler today, I pulled out my slouchy suede boots and wore those.

Edited by Audrey

About four years ago someone told me how to wear accessories such as jewelry, belts, etc.

1) You need three sets of jewelry: one gold, one silver and one black. A white set is totally optional. They do not have to be identical, but they do need to be that same color group.

2) A set of jewelry consists of earrings, necklace, bracelet. Rings are optional.

3) There are five places you can accessorize: ears, neck, wrist, waist and feet.

4) Accessorize at least three of the five places, but no more than four. Five is tacky.

5) Purses, belts and shoes do not have to match. The most flexible of these is the purse - they are more utilitarian and often don't need to match in casual situations.

6) Shoe colors to keep on hand: black, brown, neutral. White is optional. Have dressy, causal and sandals in each color.

7) Keep some classic brown and black belts on hand. You can use trendy belts as an accessory, but don't pay a lot of $$ for them, they'll be out of fashion shortly.

After I learned all of this in a 15 minute conversation, I went home and went through my jewelry box to find that I had complete sets of everything, the closet revealed my shoes & a couple of purses, but I had never thought to put it all together (especially wearing the three jewelry items). I did go to Target and get a black watch, a brown watch and a white watch so that my watch wouldn't stand out. Their store brand watches are relatively inexpensive and have held up fine.

How do you know the clothes will look good on you? I don't usually like buying clothes I haven't tried on.

I have found that Eileen Fisher clothes Are verrrrrrry comfortable - most I have bought so far are as comfortable (or more so) than sweats.

She uses wonderfully soft cashmeres, merino wools and other soft, stretchy fabrics. So far, only the silk clothes I have bought are comfortable, but not cozy like the wools.

If you like her styles, I would suggest buying a low priced merino wool cardigan - one that is about (at least) 32 or 33 inches long.

HTH!

Invest in good makeup brushes and WASH them! I use a bit of shampoo or make-up remover to wash my brushes periodically. It is amazing how iky they get and how nice they are when they are clean again. They get full of oil and bacteria...cleaning them will help with acne flare ups. I put a bit of cleaner in my hand and work it through the bristles side ways. (Don't grind the brush into your hand). I let it sit for a few minutes to loosen the debris. I rinse in warm water ran into the bottom of the sink. Once I get the bulk of the soap out, I run under fresh water until clear. Sometimes I need to repeat the washing a few times until the water runs clear. I squeeze/blot dry with a towel and put it in a cup, bristles up, to dry. I try to wash them each time I open a new foundation.

I have a treasure trove of art brushes from an estate sale. Some are sable, acrylic and ???? Could a few of those be used for make-up application?

About four years ago someone told me how to wear accessories such as jewelry, belts, etc.

1) You need three sets of jewelry: one gold, one silver and one black. A white set is totally optional. They do not have to be identical, but they do need to be that same color group.

! Really? I don't want colored jewelry. My view is, gold matches everything.

I have no idea what kind of clothing I should wear. One day I was 20, and then I was pregnant for ever, and then suddenly I was a 30 something mom that can't shop in the stores I did at 20. Now I'm 34, with a larger, curvier, pear shaped body and no idea what to put on it.

I'm twenty years your senior, Sigh. I read just recently that as we get older and our bodies start to be too 'fluffy' or saggy...our clothes should have more structure.

So...in your teens and 20s a peasant blouse is great. Puffy sleeves, bows, and layered chiffon skirts work because your bod is smooth and tight. ;)

These days I reach for fabrics with body so they don't cling. A blazer rather than a thin sweater. Crisp cotton shirts.

Fun thread.

For simple make-up, I prefer mineral powder foundation. I use this. They're Canadian. You can order very cheap samples to figure out which is your foundation shade. You can also order eyeshadow and blush samples to play with. I tend to stick to neutral shades, but find that lighter pinks and lilac look really nice with my brown eyes when used sparingly as a highlight.

For everyday simple make-up, first I wash my face and moisturize well. Let the moisturizer sink in a few minutes. Then, I use the mineral foundation, a wee bit of blush, mascara and lip gloss.

If your lipsticks all look awful, throw them away. Get a very pale pink lip gloss that just enhances your natural lip colour instead of masking it. It will look fresh and pretty because it looks like YOU.

For clothes... I am a curvy girl with an hourglass shape. If you have measurements outside of the standard sizing, you will have to get used to the idea of having clothes altered. In general, I buy pants and skirts to fit my hips, then have the waist taken in smaller. No matter your bust size, buy shirts and jackets that fit your shoulders, and make sure they are fitted throughout the body. Boxy jackets and blouses make you look boxy. If you have curves, embrace them and get things altered to fit them. Don't buy baggy clothes thinking it will hide fat. It doesn't. It just makes you look bigger than you really are under all that fabric. If you have a seriously large bust that just doesn't fit a button down shirt, try layering a pretty camisole underneath and unbuttoning the shirt to just below the bust.

Layering is your best friend, but remember to keep the thinnest layers closest to your body and work outward to heavier fabrics. I always wear clothes by the rule of three. Wear at least 3 pieces to make an outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt is not an outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt and a cardigan is an outfit. Or, jeans and a t-shirt and a button-down shirt is an outfit. I count scarves in the 3 pieces, if it is worn on the body (not just tied to your handbag), and if it is not your winter muffler. If you wear a dress, that counts as 2 pieces. Always have 3 accessories -- so that includes rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, pins/brooches (any jewellery actually), watches, belts and handbags, but not shoes. You still have to wear shoes, though. ;)

So, today... I am wearing jeans, a tank top, a button down blouse unbuttoned to show the tank top. I also have on earrings, a watch and my handbag. Since it is cooler today, I pulled out my slouchy suede boots and wore those.

Good post! I have instinctively reach for threes lately, but now I can do it with thought and intention. Adding flair with a scarf or jewelry is the fun part.

! Really? I don't want colored jewelry. My view is, gold matches everything.

I think that gold looks better with warm colors and silver with cool colors. Gold jewelry with a blue top looks funny to me. But maybe you tend to wear more warm colors and neutrals, so you can do gold with everything.

I'm twenty years your senior, Sigh. I read just recently that as we get older and our bodies start to be too 'fluffy' or saggy...our clothes should have more structure.

So...in your teens and 20s a peasant blouse is great. Puffy sleeves, bows, and layered chiffon skirts work because your bod is smooth and tight. ;)

These days I reach for fabrics with body so they don't cling. A blazer rather than a thin sweater. Crisp cotton shirts.

Fun thread.

This is *so* helpful. I don't wear fluffy stuff but I do tend to wear stuff that clings more than is flattering, not really thinking there is a third option. When you say crisp cotton shirts, do you mean collared shirts? Do you have to iron them? I avoid these b/c I am large chested and small-hipped (but with a pooch)... to fit my bust, they look tent-like. But I suppose I could have them altered...

Wow, girl... you're good. See, this is the gene I'm missing. Honestly, this is like learning a new language! (I know I'm mixing metaphors, I'm just excited here.)

So, okay... what if you are wearing a really cute formal dress to a wedding? How do you add another piece to that? I don't want to cover it up with a jacket.

This is *so* helpful. I don't wear fluffy stuff but I do tend to wear stuff that clings more than is flattering, not really thinking there is a third option. When you say crisp cotton shirts, do you mean collared shirts? Do you have to iron them? I avoid these b/c I am large chested and small-hipped (but with a pooch)... to fit my bust, they look tent-like. But I suppose I could have them altered...

I'd like to know more about this too. I live in jeans and Tshirts, but I feel frumpy all the time

My friend gets her eyebrows waxed ABOVE the eyebrow. I never knew that's how you keep all those stray hairs above there tamed. I always thought it was below the brow only. My mother was a no makeup low maintenance kind of woman. Now, in my 40's I'm still learning what many women do. For example, I found out that many of my friends get a pedicure in the spring to get rid of the winter/crusty foot. Who knew?

Beth

I've been following this avidly, because workout pants and cami's are my best friends (and my dh would like me to wear something a little...nicer:tongue_smilie:).

Jeans, tshirt, and scarf sound nice. I could probably do whatever and not worry about ruining the clothes - but HOW do you wear the scarf?! I have long hair, so around my neck is going to drive me bonkers because it'll be tangling my hair. What else can you do with it?

I've been following this avidly, because workout pants and cami's are my best friends (and my dh would like me to wear something a little...nicer:tongue_smilie:).

Jeans, tshirt, and scarf sound nice. I could probably do whatever and not worry about ruining the clothes - but HOW do you wear the scarf?! I have long hair, so around my neck is going to drive me bonkers because it'll be tangling my hair. What else can you do with it?

Here is a helpful Youtube video with several ways to tie scarves:

You can get nice scarves at Target and Old Navy inexpensively.

Edited by Sevilla

Someone upthread mentioned watching youtube videos about how to apply makeup. Any good links? I hesitate to wear very much makeup for fear of looking.... scary. I once had a "makeover" that mortified me completely.

Love this thread. Thank you one and all!

Have you watched Bare Essentials videos? Those are very natural looking. The key to looking natural is to just do up one part of your face at a time - so either eyes or lips. Not both at the same time (if you're used to wearing makeup then you can do blush/lips/eyes and it won't feel like too much - but just starting out I'd say pick just one part of the face to do).

I have a treasure trove of art brushes from an estate sale. Some are sable, acrylic and ???? Could a few of those be used for make-up application?

Not really. Art brushes are, by and large, meant to hold and apply liquid while make brushes are generally or powder. You wouldn't get the control or even application with an art brush that you need.

Would anyone be willing to chime in with advise about a personal issue or two?

I sweat like a pig now that I'm 47 and, uh, changing. Any suggestions?

And, what do you do about stray hair, uh, down there?

HELP!!! My mom was silent on these matters and I have no sisters! Take pity. :lol:

I think my biggest problem is figuring out what shoes to wear with an outift. Many of the styles I see are so...different. I want simpler shoes that will still look great and be able to be worn with many different outfits.

For example, I have a great pair of denim trousers that I never wear because I can't figure out what to wear with them.

Would anyone be willing to chime in with advise about a personal issue or two?

I sweat like a pig now that I'm 47 and, uh, changing. Any suggestions?

And, what do you do about stray hair, uh, down there?

HELP!!! My mom was silent on these matters and I have no sisters! Take pity. :lol:

for sweating I use Clinical Strength Secret.

Do you mean bikini line hair? wax

Do you mean facial hair? wax

Your question was so subtle I had trouble understanding it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeupByTiffanyD

This is the one I used. I think most of her videos are about eyeshadow, and I used drugstore brands, not the pro stuff she uses.

Tiffany d is great. I have watched most of her videos. My fav quick and put together look is

She can be long winded and a lot of the colors she works with are pretty bright but the ideas are the same no matter what colors you are using. I learned a lot about make up application from her videos.

Here is another everyday wear video

for sweating I use Clinical Strength Secret.

Do you mean bikini line hair? wax

Do you mean facial hair? wax

Your question was so subtle I had trouble understanding it.

I meant bikini line. UGH....I am so hairy there. The chin stuff I just pluck...

How awful is waxing on the bikini line? Or embarrassing?

I meant bikini line. UGH....I am so hairy there. The chin stuff I just pluck...

How awful is waxing on the bikini line? Or embarrassing?

A few days before dh came back from Kuwait I thought it would be a LOVELY idea to go for a Brazillian. :w00t: ohHOLYHELL. White hot seering steaming burning shards of liquid pain. (though I had my last baby at home in water, so my standard of pain is rather subjective.)

But,....I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. After I got used to it....it was fine. ;)