Menu

Are you smarter than a 10th grader?

Are you smarter than a 10th grader?  

1. 1. Are you smarter than a 10th grader?

• 18-19 correct
    • 16-17 correct
    • 14-15 correct
    • 12-13 correct
    • 10-11 correct
    • 8-9 correct
    • 7 or less correct
    • The obligatory other

Here is a link to the Pisa test, which forms the national rankings in education. See how you do and answer the poll :001_smile:. If you want others in your house, like a dh to take it, or a child, you can choose more than one poll answer.

http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/content/Finland-School-Quiz/

Edited by CathieC

Is this really a telling representation of the PISA? This PISA, on which American students scored thus:

The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics.

Mercy. What a lame test it was, if this sample is representative, yet we ranked so miserably.

Is this really a telling representation of the PISA? This PISA, on which American students scored thus:

The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics.

Mercy. What a lame test it was, if this sample is representative, yet we ranked so miserably.

The article said their test was made up of questions from prior PISA tests. Any 10th grader who does not have a learning disability (or something similar) should be able to do well on this test.

If it is, we are in more trouble than I originally thought. That test was simple.

No, this test is NOT the PISA test. Here is a link to real questions.

http://pisa-sq.acer.edu.au/

Hmmm... the Smithsonian is saying it is a sampling from prior PISA tests. For 15 year old students. I'm trying to find what age the test link you provided is for... do they test at higher grades than 10th?

No, this test is NOT the PISA test. Here is a link to real questions.

http://pisa-sq.acer.edu.au/

Just discovered some of the questions are the same from my original link and your link. So both are showing questions from the PISA. My original link has fewer questions in it's sample.

I got 19 right and my 12 year old, who is pretty average, got 16 right. I always knew the US scored badly but it is even more discouraging when I see the questions. Many of the Smithsonian ones were just kind of common sense. Maybe that is what the US is lacking - big picture common sense and reasoning abilities.

Did anyone else have to sing the Blue's Clues planet song to get #17 right?

I'm beat, it's the only way I could remember. :D

I got them all right-though I made an educated guess at one. I'm going to have the 12 yo take it.

Edited by justamouse
it was a kute kitteh

That was super easy. I'm pretty sure I had to figure out much harder questions in order to pass tenth grade classes! Where were the questions about Beowulf and stoichiometry??

I think I'll see how many of them my 9yo can get right tomorrow. If the 6yo could read fluently, I think he could figure out some of them.

Okay the planet one threw me :confused:. Please someone explain how the answer is Mercury when Mercury was never mentioned in the information portion.

Maybe I took this to late at night!

mercury is closer to the sun than the earth...so it would be the only planet (other than venus) to pass between the earth and the sun.

unfortunately "3rd rock from the sun" is what helped me remember.

i got the short answer questions wrong...I wasn't sure if i could give myself partial credit.

It was not hard for me. I got them all right. I answered the poll for my son's attempt. He missed half of one of the yes/no questions. He is 12.

Okay the planet one threw me :confused:. Please someone explain how the answer is Mercury when Mercury was never mentioned in the information portion.

Maybe I took this to late at night!

oh the sun's a hot star, and mercury's hot too, venus is the brightest planet, and earth's home to me and you, mars is the red one, and jupiter's most wide, saturn's got those icy rings and uranus spins on its side, neptune's really windy, and pluto's really small, well you wanted to name the planets, and now we named them all.

sun

mercury

venus

earth

thank you blues clues :D

19. I took it a few days ago when my uncle sent the link to me and then I had the boys each try it. The 14 year old earned an 18, the almost 13 year old earned 19, and the 11 year old earned a 17 - he really wasn't certain exactly what to say about the civic guilt "essay"....he is a really literal kid and a bit obtuse when it comes to literature. So, had there been a LOT of literary, writing style, symbolism, "what is the writer getting at" type questions, OUCH!

If you ever seen an episode of the Fox show "Bones", he is an awful lot like Zack!

Faith

The first question from regentrude's link was also in CathieC's link, the one about government spending, chocolate, guilt, etc.

That's true, but I do think they picked the easier questions. For example, it's pretty easy to tell that the circle has a larger area than the other shapes, but it would be more difficult to give a method for figuring out the area for one of those non-circle shapes. That was asked on the longer test sample.