Menu

wwyd? Field Trip Payments

Would you use the free ticket(s) or divide the discount evenly?  

1. 1. Would you use the free ticket(s) or divide the discount evenly?

• I'd use the two free tickets for my family.
    • I'd take the total cost and divide it up evenly, so everyone gets a small discount.
    • I'd use one free ticket, but divide the savings from the other free ticket evenly for everyone.
    • other (I'm all ears!)

I've organized a new middle school homeschool group for my area. I've planned out at least one field trip a month, in addition to our weekly park days. A few of these field trips offer one free adult admission with a certain number of paid children's admission. Basically, a certain number of chaperones are free...generally one or two. Most of our trips are fairly inexpensive so that isn't a big deal anyway. But we are going to Medieval Times in November (which works out perfectly with our SOTWII studies) and I just got the info from the director. Normally, admission is 26.50 for the educational matinee, for any age. We have enough people that we get two free adult tickets. My question is, do I use the free adult tickets myself, because I am the one planning the trip, dealing with the emails back and forth, collecting the money, etc. Or, do I just divide up the cost equally..which would discount everyone's ticket by about $2. I'm not sure what I should do. I would love the free tickets...this is a lot of work and this field trip is a bit of a stretch for us financially, but at the same time everyone is in a pinch financially these days, and I'd like to be able to spread the discount around. Plus, I don't want to feel I'm doing something underhanded or rude or wrong.

So...WWYD?

I don't know what I'd do in your situation, but when I'm on the other side of the equation I generally assume that the coordinator is going to "earn" that free adult ticket. It's a reasonable expectation (perk?) given the time/resources put into making the event happen. IMO :)

:iagree: I personally think you should use the tickets guilt free. It's a pain to do this organizational stuff, so personally I think you've earned it. And this is from someone who hasn't organized any big group outings (maybe with just a couple families). I expect those organizers to get some sort of perk! :D

I chose the second option, based on my experiences with homeschool moms over the years. Many don't understand the effort it takes to put together field trips or activities, and they will not be understanding of you taking the free ticket. it is easier to just pay your own way than have to deal with a mom who thinks it isn't fair. There's always that one mom...

Here's what I'd do: use one of the free tickets for yourself since you organized the trip. For the other one, I'd hold a drawing of all the folks who paid to attend and the person whose name is drawn gets their money back for one adult ticket.

Dividing the cost between everyone ends up being a small amount for everyone- not as exciting as potentially winning a free ticket. And don't be embarrassed about taking one for yourself- it's a perk for doing the work, and maybe it'll encourage others to step up and do some planning

I chose the second option, based on my experiences with homeschool moms over the years. Many don't understand the effort it takes to put together field trips or activities, and they will not be understanding of you taking the free ticket. it is easier to just pay your own way than have to deal with a mom who thinks it isn't fair. There's always that one mom...

This is what I'm thinking too. I think I totally deserve the free tickets, and then some, but I'm not willing to deal with any crap either. I will probably just divy it up.

If I were attending the field trip, I'd have no problem with you keeping one free ticket for yourself as a perk for your hard work. That seems really fair. I think you should keep one for yourself and then give the other one away -- either do the drawing for the free ticket, or split its cost up among everyone so everyone gets a small discount. Alternately, you might donate one ticket to a scholarship fund, if someone would otherwise be unable to attend at all.

If I were attending the field trip, I'd have no problem with you keeping one free ticket for yourself as a perk for your hard work. That seems really fair. I think you should keep one for yourself and then give the other one away -- either do the drawing for the free ticket, or split its cost up among everyone so everyone gets a small discount. Alternately, you might donate one ticket to a scholarship fund, if someone would otherwise be unable to attend at all.

That is a really nice idea!

I like this idea. Definitely take one for yourself.

Back in the day when I joined the local homeschool support group here this was a very heated topic. Turns out the lady who organized all the field trips, divided up the cost of her and her children's tickets and ADDED them onto everyone else's ticket cost. She felt an organizer should never ever have to pay for a field trip.

Most folks didn't even know. When the powers that be changed and those details came out, and it didn't go over so well. Everyone pretty much agreed if a free ticket was offered by the event staff, the organizer should get it.

I believe you have earned the free trip and would expect that you take the one free ticket. It would be wonderful if you found a way to share the 2nd one.

Here's the thing: When I organize field trips I require everyone to pay in advance. No exceptions.

The only field trip I organized that allowed chaperones based on the number of children (children were free, BTW; only adults paid) was the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I worked through that several ways (and experienced a couple organized by others):

The first one I attended, organized by someone else: We all showed up more or less at the same time at the Aquarium. The organizers counted the number of children and the number of adults; divided the total number of children by the total number of adults, which determined how many chaperones would be free; subtracted that number from the total number of adults; multiplied that by $10 per paying adult; divided that by the total number of adults; had everyone write checks.

:ack2:

Then I organized one and tried charging a little bit per person, which worked out fine the first time, but the next time we had a very small adult/child ratio because people brought their grandparents and other relatives. I had to contact everyone and have them send in more money (remember: I always make people pay in advance).

The final solution: I charge for all adults (paid in advance, remember). Yes, it usually means that I don't have to pay, but that's the way it is. :001_smile: So when we show up at the Aquarium, I have a list of everyone who's coming (# of adults, # of children in each group, total numbers of both) and check people off as the arrive. I write one check to an employee, who gives me "Chaperone" self-stick badges for everyone, and in we go.

So, to give you a specific answer I'd need to know who pays how much for that particular field trip, but if children pay as well as adults, I'd probably charge the child price for everyone, adults included, and if I collected more money than I needed, well, maybe I would get in free, or maybe there'd be money left for the next activity. In any case, it would be such that everyone would pay me in advance. Did I mention that I require payment in advance? By a deadline? Always. (FTR, I even charge for field trips that are free, $1 per person, paid in advance, because then people are committed.)

Edited by Ellie

I would think that dividing the cost of any free tickets would just add to the to-do list of planning the field trip. Do you really want more to do? I would either use both tickets myself guilt-free, or use one and give the other to another mom who I knew to be struggling financially.

Here's the thing: When I organize field trips I require everyone to pay in advance. No exceptions.

The only field trip I organized that allowed chaperones based on the number of children (children were free, BTW; only adults paid) was the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I worked through that several ways (and experienced a couple organized by others):

The first one I attended, organized by someone else: We all showed up more or less at the same time at the Aquarium. The organizers counted the number of children and the number of adults; divided the total number of children by the total number of adults, which determined how many chaperones would be free; subtracted that number from the total number of adults; multiplied that by $10 per paying adult; divided that by the total number of adults; had everyone write checks.

:ack2:

Then I organized one and tried charging a little bit per person, which worked out fine the first time, but the next time we had a very small adult/child ratio because people brought their grandparents and other relatives. I had to contact everyone and have them send in more money (remember: I always make people pay in advance).

The final solution: I charge for all adults (paid in advance, remember). Yes, it usually means that I don't have to pay, but that's the way it is. :001_smile: So when we show up at the Aquarium, I have a list of everyone who's coming (# of adults, # of children in each group, total numbers of both) and check people off as the arrive. I write one check to an employee, who gives me "Chaperone" self-stick badges for everyone, and in we go.

So, to give you a specific answer I'd need to know who pays how much for that particular field trip, but if children pay as well as adults, I'd probably charge the child price for everyone, adults included, and if I collected more money than I needed, well, maybe I would get in free, or maybe there'd be money left for the next activity. In any case, it would be such that everyone would pay me in advance. Did I mention that I require payment in advance? By a deadline? Always. (FTR, I even charge for field trips that are free, $1 per person, paid in advance, because then people are committed.)

:iagree:

I organize all of our field trips, this is my 2nd year.

NEVER, EVER, assume that the number you have on your sign up sheet is the actual number you will have attending. EVER. For ANY reason.

You will not know how many people are ACTUALLY going to attend until a) you have received ALL monies on the deadline and b) you are walking into the event.

This is why I never, ever do a "spread the savings out across the board" thing. We did this for the Baltimore Aquarium. The cost was only $3 for kids and $24.94 for adults. One adult per x number of kids got in free. There was NO WAY I was going to tell everyone a cheaper price based on the numbers on my sign-up sheet. NO. WAY. Because I knew that I would have 20 adults sign-up and I would do the math and say, "OK, adults, you owe me $x.xx for you and $3 for your kid(s)." And some of them would pay me. The rest would each come up with an excuse as to why they couldn't come, or bail at the last minute, or just, not show up. And then my ratios would be screwed up and I would owe more money. And it would be a mess for me, and a mess for those on a budget, etc.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS create a "Pay me by" deadline and demand to have all monies by that date. If you don't have money, they are not on the list. NO exceptions. Trust me.

On a lighter note, have fun at Medieval times!!!

But many do appreciate the work it took that person to organize it. Its only 2 free adults, you should just use them, you organized it. All of the field trips we've participated in so far (as home schoolers) were group rated, sometimes the adult price is more, but not always. I've never wondered if we could have gotten it cheaper because we always get the group rate. And I've always appreciated the work of the organizer to put it together for us.

Here's what I'd do: use one of the free tickets for yourself since you organized the trip. For the other one, I'd hold a drawing of all the folks who paid to attend and the person whose name is drawn gets their money back for one adult ticket.

Dividing the cost between everyone ends up being a small amount for everyone- not as exciting as potentially winning a free ticket. And don't be embarrassed about taking one for yourself- it's a perk for doing the work, and maybe it'll encourage others to step up and do some planning

I organize all of our field trips, this is my 2nd year.

NEVER, EVER, assume that the number you have on your sign up sheet is the actual number you will have attending. EVER. For ANY reason.

You will not know how many people are ACTUALLY going to attend until a) you have received ALL monies on the deadline and b) you are walking into the event.

This is why I never, ever do a "spread the savings out across the board" thing. We did this for the Baltimore Aquarium. The cost was only $3 for kids and $24.94 for adults. One adult per x number of kids got in free. There was NO WAY I was going to tell everyone a cheaper price based on the numbers on my sign-up sheet. NO. WAY. Because I knew that I would have 20 adults sign-up and I would do the math and say, "OK, adults, you owe me $x.xx for you and $3 for your kid(s)." And some of them would pay me. The rest would each come up with an excuse as to why they couldn't come, or bail at the last minute, or just, not show up. And then my ratios would be screwed up and I would owe more money. And it would be a mess for me, and a mess for those on a budget, etc.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS create a "Pay me by" deadline and demand to have all monies by that date. If you don't have money, they are not on the list. NO exceptions. Trust me.

On a lighter note, have fun at Medieval times!!!

Oh, I know. I have a date on the calendar that I must have the money by. And that date is a week before I have to turn it in.

We did the same field trip a couple of years ago, and I used the free tickets for me and my teen who helped with the kids.

It is a huge amount of work (done willingly!) and I would never begrudge a coordinator some small perk for putting in that effort.

Yes, a mom may gripe, but then she can plan the next one!

I don't base my actions on whether I will offend the occasional person - because I will probably offend someone not matter what I choose.

I would not feel bad about using the free ticket for yourself. Organizing these trips takes time and energy and I am very glad someone else is willing to do the work. If anyone else complained, I would ask when they would be organizing the next one.

As far as the extra ticket, I would use it as an incentive to register *and pay* early. I would say that everyone paid by a certain date would be entered into the drawing for the free ticket. The other option is to use it as a "scholarship" ticket if you knew of a family that may really be struggling to cover the cost.

That's a really fun idea. However, I'd still be leery of using the one free ticket. Like a pp said, there's always that *one* mom. However, you could draw for both tickets and don't by shy to put your name in the hat. Let someone else draw right there in front of everybody to keep away all appearance of evil.

I voted other--do you know of a family that is struggling financially that would enjoy going? If not, I think you could take the ticket guilt-free. I was in that situation once and wanted to spread the discount, but since people in our group sign up until the last possible minute, it was impossible to know what the discount would be, and it wasn't worth my time to chase everyone down and give them a $.50 refund after the fact. :P

TAKE THE TICKETS. if anyone asks, tell them you used the tickets and encourage them to schedule the next trip so that they can take advantage of such perks.

If they complain, and they are the type that complain about everything but never organize anything, you may automatically disregard their opinion. :D

What would you do with the money? Spring for snacks?

(not snarky, truly wondering. :001_smile:)

Not the poster who mentioned that, but one, it could just go into the group's general fund and go toward off-setting the cost of the next trip. Two, our group has had things change last-minute, so that the cost is less than expected, and they've given refunds once everyone was on the bus (or gathered at the site).

If this is a new venture for you, perhaps you've not experienced this yet, but one of my pet peeves is people showing up late for ticketed events. Homeschoolers are notorious for this! As an organizer, I've been left standing at the door holding tickets for latecomers. Soooo....

I have a drawing. I collect money from everyone attending, self included. Everyone who arrived on time gets their name put in. The person whose name is drawn gets a refund.

If you would choose to keep a ticket for yourself, since you organized the trip, I would find that perfectly acceptable. For me, personally, I always felt I'd be paying for my family to go, full price, if there were no group, so I never minded giving up the cost of a ticket.