Is Harper a girl's name or boy's name?

Is Harper a boy or girl name?  

1. 1. Is Harper a boy or girl name?

• Boy
    • Girl
    • Either
    • Neither
    • Other

Gosh, I really hope I didn't kill kittens with that title. It should be right. Right? I'm so paranoid I can't even remember the rule.

Anyways, without Googling, would you say Harper is a girls name or a boys name (just in case I killed kittens with the thread title; I don't want to do it again.:lol:)

Poll to follow (hold on and give me a mo', I practiced a few weeks ago, but that just means I probably forgot since then)

The only Harper I know (outside of the Dragonriders of Pern books :D ) is the afore-mentioned author of To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't really think of it as anyone's name, but I guess I could put it in the Southern Name category along with Ainsley. :001_smile: Or the Last-Name-Used-as-First-Name category, like Hunter or Cooper. :001_huh:

Gosh, I really hope I didn't kill kittens with that title. It should be right. Right? I'm so paranoid I can't even remember the rule.

Anyways, without Googling, would you say Harper is a girls name or a boys name (just in case I killed kittens with the thread title; I don't want to do it again.:lol:)

Poll to follow (hold on and give me a mo', I practiced a few weeks ago, but that just means I probably forgot since then)

I voted either, but here's the deal: I struggled. Because once a name goes female, it doesn't go back. So once it's on the slope towards female-usage, it's headed for the feminine side. So for me, those names would be cruel to use for a boy, because he'll be constantly fighting that expectation/question... class role sheet in college, resumes, etc.

Ok, so here's the deal:

People are always asking if baby girl is a boy (obviously I've given away that her name isn't really Chuck:glare: curses!). Usually at the doctor's office. No matter that right next to her is a pink onesie or I keep saying, "her" and "she". I think the nurse finally figured when I said, "Holy cow, she's really that long?!" (95th percentile) When she came back to give the shots, she started talking about baby girl's name and how it was "so pretty" and "yeah, I did hear about the Beckhams' baby" but she sure seemed intent on calling her a "he" before I said anything. I think she was talking with the other nurses in the interim and THEY told her about the Beckhams:lol:

And a few weeks ago I ran into my old boss at the farmer's market. I said "that's Harper" and pointed to the stroller. And he asked, "You have three boys?" "No, old boss, that's a girl. She's wearing a dress" (in his defense the dress was blue and scrunched up under the five point harness).

I need to buy more hairbows; all the ones we got after she was born are now too small (see above about my giant baby):glare:

Totally OT here but I googled Harper Canada, and I read about Stephen Harper on Wiki. One of you fine Canadian mommies need to start a thread explaining how Canadian government works because I am totally lost.;)

OH, allow me... I shall do that right now...

here it is... sorry OP... hijack over....

Edited by specialmama

That name doesn't fly well in Canada... ;)

Oops, I forgot that was his last name when I replied about the kids show character. I don't pay much (any) attention to politics.

I don't think people would really avoid it for that though? I mean…people still name their kids Brian, John, Mackenzie, and all sorts of other names that were also names of past prime ministers…

Oops, I forgot that was his last name when I replied about the kids show character. I don't pay much (any) attention to politics.

I don't think people would really avoid it for that though? I mean…people still name their kids Brian, John, Mackenzie, and all sorts of other names that were also names of past prime ministers…

I don' think their would be a really strong reaction actually. Harper is an established name after all.

Name a kid Mulroney or Trudeau though and I guarantee fireworks. :D

I have a daughter named Harper. Our pediatrician's office still thinks she's a boy. She is nearly 3. :) Oh well. . . .

Harper was my maiden name. I only have sisters, and daughters, so we figured it was a way to keep my heritage going. We did consider it for a boy, but decided we preferred it for a girl. Thankfully she complied. :)

My husband's name is Harper. It was his grandmother's maiden name, dh's dad's middle name, and then dh's first. I wanted our first ds's first name to be Harper but dh put his foot down! So, it is ds's middle name. Dh always got teased as a child because everyone thought his name was a girl name. I love the name Harper. :)

Totally OT here but I googled Harper Canada, and I read about Stephen Harper on Wiki. One of you fine Canadian mommies need to start a thread explaining how Canadian government works because I am totally lost.;)

I read this last night and I can't tell you how much I giggled. Because baby girl is named after a Stephen Harper. Only not a Canadian politician (never heard of him, know nothing about him) but a BYU religion professor. He was such a good teacher, my favorite professor ever. But I couldn't stop giggling and that's when I realized I was slap happy and needed to go to bed.

Sounds like a boy name, but I would guess it is used more for girls. Either way it is not a name I would pick or have really heard much.

Excellent. I'm sure the Beckham's using it is going to make it shoot through the roof in popularity. And I've never wanted to name a baby one of the most popular names (oh I was so mad when Rachel in Friends named her baby Emma and that jumped to #1. I had planned on using that since I was 13) so the less people who name their kid Harper, the better.;)

OH, allow me... I shall do that right now...

here it is... sorry OP... hijack over....

:toetap05:

I voted other because in our house, Harper was the dog!

He was a boy though . . .

And my husband was convinced the "other" wasn't going to get used. I was like, "DH you HAVE to have "other" when you make a poll, because inevitably someone will use it" so thank you for proving me right.:lol: