Menu

Please help me contain my 2yo for nap and bedtime.

I am really at my wit's end with this child. I can NOT keep her contained in a crib, playpen or bed during nap or at night. We had her in a room by herself, which we had taken everything out of. The only thing in the room was a mattress. We have had to put her into the room that dd8 and ds5 share now though because my MIL has moved in with us and we had to give her that room. There is no other place to put her.

The problem is that this dc is so incredibly destructive and won't fall asleep for nap if she can get up and move around. She will finally fall asleep at night after moving around the room trying to get into everything. I've tried to take as much out of the room she is in now as I can but there just isn't anywhere to go with lots of it. She has taken to trying to pull the blinds off the window and stripping the beds of all the linens. I can't tell you how many things she has ruined.

Today I put her into my room again, in a playpen that I put a sheet over the top of. I secured the sheet all around the edge with clamps (the ones dh uses for woodworking). I checked on her several times and then got involved in history. I had dd13 go back a little while ago to see if she was awake and she ripped the sheet to get out of the playpen and emptied all of my dresser drawers. This was all in about 30 minutes. I am sooooo tired of this every single day.

The other thing that she does that drives us all insane is banging. She either bangs her head on the door or the floor when she is tired. So at night when I put her to bed, if she doesn't find anything to destroy, she will sit by the door and bang and bang and bang until she falls asleep on the floor in front of the door. I have tried everything short of tying her into a bed. I don't know what else to do. I asked the ped about it and she said that she would probably eventually grow out of the head banging, which my son did, but had no advice about keeping her in bed. My dh suggested a really big dog crate...I don't know if he was joking or not.

ANY advice or suggestions?

UPDATE! Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who responded with advice. Last night was extremely frustrating but after an hour she went to sleep. The few moments it took me to get off the floor, open the squeeky door, slip out, close the squeeky door and then listen to see if she woke up were the most terrifying seconds I've had in a long time. The thought of having to go through that again...ugh. Today she napped in the car on my way home from my mom's around 5:30, so I was concerned about getting her to bed tonight but it only took about 40 minutes tonight and she didn't try to push me off the bed like she did last night. YAH! Keep your fingers crossed that by the end of next week she'll be laying right down with a hug and a kiss. (Yes, that's wishful thinking on my part.)

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

Forgot to mention that we did try a crib tent...twice. She destroyed both of them. :confused:

:grouphug: Strong little bugger! :001_smile: Melatonin is nice, I use it myself, but some people have bad reactions. Search for threads about it to learn more.

Have you tried no nap and exhausting her physically? Not right before bedtime, but perhaps right before or after dinner?

:grouphug: Strong little bugger! :001_smile: Melatonin is nice, I use it myself, but some people have bad reactions. Search for threads about it to learn more.

Have you tried no nap and exhausting her physically? Not right before bedtime, but perhaps right before or after dinner?

I have tried the no nap and lots of physical activity. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The disadvantage of keeping her up during the afternoon is that we can't get any schoolwork done at all. My dc already take turns in the a.m. occupying her and they can't spare any more time in the afternoon or they won't get their schoolwork done. She is extrememly strong-willed and destructive. All of the tricks I've learned regarding strong -willed dc (she isn't my only one) don't work with her. I reconciled myself to at least being able to do school during nap, which we can, but I either end up with a big mess to clean up afterwards and possibly destroyed stuff or at the very least 30 minutes to an hour of listening to her bang her head on the door or the floor.

I'm not sure about the melatonin...my mother has had bad reactions to it. I'm not fond of sleep aids in general. I suppose I could talk to the ped about it.

I know this is a season...HOPEFULLY...but I'm so tired of the messes and the destroyed stuff.

I know that is what people in America do... but... I am so SHOCKED every time I read that people drug out their children.

My children stopped having naps at 6 months. Sounds like your child no longer needs them.

I always tried to treat my children with dignity and how I would like to be treated. I personally would hate to be locked up in a jail for a few hours every day.

My brother banged his head for many years. :grouphug:

Ds5 started when he was 12 months and still bangs his head against his mattress on occasion but stopped banging against walls and doors only about 8 months ago.

I know its just a comfort thing, although how that comforts them is beyond me, but it is soooo irritating. Our interior doors are hollow and it reverberates through the whole house.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

I completely understand needing the nap-time for school for the oldders. It's the same thing here.

I can't think of anything that you probably have already heard of and tried :confused: Maybe music? What put my ds#2 when he was little and didn't sleep was the second half of Pride and Prejudice (A&E.) But he was a baby then.

I know that is what people in America do... but... I am so SHOCKED every time I read that people drug out their children.

My children stopped having naps at 6 months. Sounds like your child no longer needs them.

I always tried to treat my children with dignity and how I would like to be treated. I personally would hate to be locked up in a jail for a few hours every day.

I think I was unclear. I take the melatonin myself. I have never used it on my own children (never needed to.)

1/2 of a 1 mg melatonin tablet from Walgreens--for use at bedtime.

It takes about 30 minutes for the melatonin to take effect--total sleep.

Melatonin is a sleep hormone made by the body.

Yes, it is a sleep hormone, but that doesn't mean it's safe to give a child, and especially one of this age. If you even consider this course of action, talk to a pharmacist to see if it will harm your child.

Ria

I found a special cd on a website for special needs and occupational therapist. http://www.therapro.com/Cool-Bananas-For-Calming-Cool-Downs-and-Bedtime-Routines-P197948.aspx This has saved my sanity! It's not lullabies, so they don't know they're being lulled off to sleep.

Okay, I haven't tried anything like the above. I did try classical music but she took the disc out of the disc player and snapped it in half.:tongue_smilie: I'm telling you this. child. destroys. everything. Maybe I can try again and put the player outside the door.

She is sensory seeking. Read about that online first. The head banging is classic. She may not be physically able to calm down by herself. That said, why can't you sit with her or rock her while she falls asleep? Take a few weeks to do this. She needs the stimulation. Put on some music, then pat her back or rock her or walk with her in your arms. Expect it to take forever the first few times. But this will help her learn to relax to that particular music, and eventually she won't need you to help her. But 2 is still very young.

Turn off all the lights. Lock the door. Put child on the bed and lay next to her. Quietly insist, it is bedtime, it is time to sleep. Be very boring. Tiptoe out once she is asleep.

All my children like to be cuddled to sleep at this age. I have one that I could just close the door and he'd fall asleep. But the others haven't been so easy. It's usually nice for me to be able to relax for a few minutes.

Okay, I haven't tried anything like the above. I did try classical music but she took the disc out of the disc player and snapped it in half.:tongue_smilie: I'm telling you this. child. destroys. everything. Maybe I can try again and put the player outside the door.

I feared something like that might happen with my toddler. I searched for a child-proof cd player and thought about wireless speakers with the cd player in another room, but ended up just placing a cd player up high, out of her reach. Putting the cd player on the other side of a door might work too.

I started this routine (about a month ago) by laying next to her for several songs, patting her back in time with the music. Sometimes I sing. We tried those types of things before that "Cool Bananas" cd, but she wouldn't stay in bed. Now she does, or if she tries to get up, we can redirect her to lay back down without much difficulty. If I can't lay with her and she wants someone with her, a brother or sister sometimes does. Occassionally we've gone through the whole cd, (then we put it on again), but usually she's asleep somewhere between songs 3- 9.

The music is playful and very child-friendly, yet calming. After my toddler is asleep, sometimes I've quietly moved the cd player into another bedroom for two other children, and they claim it helps them calm down and get to sleep too. If you decide to try that cd, I'd be interested in hearing if you have as much success with it as we did.

She is sensory seeking. Read about that online first. The head banging is classic. She may not be physically able to calm down by herself. That said, why can't you sit with her or rock her while she falls asleep? Take a few weeks to do this. She needs the stimulation. Put on some music, then pat her back or rock her or walk with her in your arms. Expect it to take forever the first few times. But this will help her learn to relax to that particular music, and eventually she won't need you to help her. But 2 is still very young.

Head banging is actually very normal.

I'd do the above for a couple days and if that didn't work, I'd give up naps and include her in our day instead of separating her out.

She will likely continue to misbehave if she is not included so often. I'd sit her on one side of me and student I'm working with on the other.

She isn't destructive. She is 2 years old and being expected to be away from you in the morning and entirely alone in the afternoon for a nap she doesn't actually take. That's too much to ask of her. She isn't being destructive. She's being a normal, bored, alone infant/toddler occupying herself as best she can.

She isn't destructive. She is 2 years old and being expected to be away from you in the morning and entirely alone in the afternoon for a nap she doesn't actually take. That's too much to ask of her. She isn't being destructive. She's being a normal, bored, alone infant/toddler occupying herself as best she can.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

IMHO most 2yr olds still need a nap. She probably still needs it-just doesn't want it. I don't think I would give it up. Most of the time when a child drops a nap, they don't sleep extra at night to make up for it. Maybe try giving her your undivided attention for an hour before bed. Then tell her that at bedtime she stays in bed and stays quiet. Would she like a reward for obeying? I really don't have any experience with strong willed children, so I don't have much advice. I just wanted to say that if it were me, I would find a way to continue the nap until she is at least 3 (my kids rest until they turn 6).

Turn off all the lights. Lock the door. Put child on the bed and lay next to her. Quietly insist, it is bedtime, it is time to sleep. Be very boring. Tiptoe out once she is asleep.

All my children like to be cuddled to sleep at this age. I have one that I could just close the door and he'd fall asleep. But the others haven't been so easy. It's usually nice for me to be able to relax for a few minutes.

I'll read more about the sensory issues...I had wondered about that before anyway. As far as staying with her for awhile until she falls asleep; I had been doing that for awhile but admit that I got very frustrated with it. I would be in there sometimes for over an hour and it was a battle to keep her in the bed. She would eventually end up falling asleep crying because I was having to restrain her to keep her in the bed. I will try again though. Maybe in combination with the music and no nap in the afternoon we might be more succesful.

empty the room of EVERYTHING but a mattress on the floor til you solve this. Turn off the light at the bulb so it can't be turned on. This is our trick and we've done it for all of ours.

This is the way it was for about a year but then MIL moved in with us and had to have that room. Now dd is in the room that dd8 and ds5 share. I can't take their beds out because there is nowhere else to put them.

IMHO most 2yr olds still need a nap. She probably still needs it-just doesn't want it. I don't think I would give it up. Most of the time when a child drops a nap, they don't sleep extra at night to make up for it. Maybe try giving her your undivided attention for an hour before bed. Then tell her that at bedtime she stays in bed and stays quiet. Would she like a reward for obeying? I really don't have any experience with strong willed children, so I don't have much advice. I just wanted to say that if it were me, I would find a way to continue the nap until she is at least 3 (my kids rest until they turn 6).

I really WANT her to take a nap but I don't know that she NEEDS it. Some days she eventually falls asleep and some days she doesn't. On the days she does fall asleep is when she has had a very active morning but she still ends up banging or roaming around the room for awhile before she finally falls asleep. I already spend about an hour with her before I put her down for a nap because her nap is right after my other dc's lunch break. I usually read to her or do puzzles and then lay her down for nap. She doesn't respond to rewards or prizes at all. I think maybe at this point I will try to play it by ear everyday and only put her down if she seems extremely tired, but if she hasn't fallen asleep after 30 minutes I will just get her up.

I've found out from experience that the more kids sleep, the more they sleep. In other words, lack of sleep, taking away naps, driving a child to exhaustion does not actually make it easier for a child to fall asleep. In fact, it makes it harder for them to sleep.

Try Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. This book was recommended to me by a friend who is a neonatologist, but it is for all ages of children.

Edited by Andrea Lowry
correction

I've cared for my sister's little guy since infancy while I've hs'd my dds. He's outgrown naps at this point, but he was never able to fall alseep on his own. I always put him in my bed for naps, and patted his back to sleep, or just snggled with him. It took about 20 minutes. I'd then just crawl away. :tongue_smilie:

First - If they don't always take naps, they probably don't need them. dd stopped napping at 3 1/2 years old, but ds stopped taking them before he turned 2. my other ds is 2 1/2 and looks like he'll be phasing out of those soon.

When it was time to sleep I would put my child to bed at a reasonable time. We'd do our little routine (books, songs, cuddles, etc.) then I'd tell them goodnight. I'd turn off the light and sit in their room (often with a book to keep me occupied if it was still light enough). I would not talk to or even look at the child, no matter what they did to get my attention. Whenever they got out of bed I'd just calmly stand up and put them back - no eye contact, talking, etc. Then resume my position. They would play in bed, sing, talk, jump, cry, whatever, but as long as they were in bed I didn't do anything. They tried to escape often at first, but after a few days learned that it wouldn't do any good. I'd creep out when they finally fell asleep.

Once they stopped getting out of bed with me in the room, I'd hang out just outside the door and do the same thing. After a couple of days or a few weeks (depending on the stubbornness of the child) they all learned to stay put in bed and go to sleep when it was time.

When my kids shared a room, I could still do this for naptime. At bedtime I'd let the older ones stay up later until their sibling was asleep.

At first this took hours! But it was so worth the time I put into it. Nothing is more wonderful than putting your toddler to bed and knowing they will stay there and sleep without any help!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

She will likely continue to misbehave if she is not included so often. I'd sit her on one side of me and student I'm working with on the other.

I've been trying to train her to sit beside me and stay engaged in activites for about a year. You say she isn't destructive but she is. Even with her sitting right beside me, whatever I give her to play with or do she tries to tear, rip or break. When I try to read to her she tries to rip the pages while I'm reading, when I give her crayons she breaks them into little pieces, pencils get their leads broken off immediatlely. If that isn't destructive then tell me what it is and I'll use that term instead.;)

I spend an hour with her first thing in the morning getting her to help me with chores, talking with her, signing nursery rhymes. Then she is with me for about an hour before lunch while I try to keep working with my other dc but I try to get her to do puzzles, playdough, beads, etc. while she is sitting with me. Occasionally she will wander off though and watch the educational program that ds5 watches during that time. I spend an hour after lunch playing with her. Around 3 she is with me again and stays with me the rest of the day until bedtime. Before bed I usually do things specifically with her. During the morning when I can't be with her she has a sibling playing with her constantly and she does come and get on my lap occasionally for a snuggle or kisses and then runs off to play again. The only time she is alone is for the two hours I expected her to rest\take a nap. I don't know how to spend more time with her and still spend time with and educate my other dc.

Could you or one of the older children rock her to sleep or lay with her? Or could you put her on the couch to take a nap with the rest of you right there doing some quiet school? It would probably take several days of consistently putting her back on the couch when she got down or reminding her to be quiet. Or you could just have her have quiet time on the couch or blanket with a pile of books or quiet toys - again, there would be several days of teaching her to stay there and be quiet, but it would be worth it if she learned to stay put and be quiet. It sounds like she is one of those kids who needs constant supervision.

I would drop the naps. My daughter gave up naps when she was 2. When she naps she actually gets less sleep because she can take 2 hours longer to go to sleep at night. Even now at age 3 she gets about the same amount of sleep as my 9 year old. She just doesn't need a lot of sleep.

When she did nap I put her in an ERGO backpack carrier. Sometimes she was lulled to sleep as we did school or when I walked around. Other times (the older she became) she stayed awake, but was still in the spot where she could rest if she needed it. I still rock her or lay with her at bedtime. I probably will for at least another year or two.

I used a crib tent but only before my son had figured out how to climb out of the crib. It had a very complicated way of attaching to the crib with lots of velcro pieces. He never figured out how to remove it. We used it until he was 3yo and then switched him to a regular bed.

What do you do, and how does she react to you, when she tries to rip pages or break crayons?

I immediately and sternly grab her hands and tell her no. I will tell her that we don't rip books, break crayons...whatever it is that she did and then I ask if she wants to continue with that activity. If she does we try again but if she breaks\rips again I repeat the holding hands telling her no routine and then I take everything away from her. When I grab her hands and tell her no she will react in one of two ways and there doesn't seem to be any rhime or reason to why it is one way or the other. She will either say sorry mommy and then carry on or she will get extremely mad and try to jerk her hands away from me and scream at me. If she screams at me she goes into the living room in a chair by herself. As soon as she stops screaming I will get her and hug on her and tell her that I'm proud of her for stopping the screaming. If I take everything away then she will sometimes cry for a couple of minutes but sometimes she doesn't react at all.

Hmmmmm.

I'd be too busy working on other areas then than worrying about forcing naps.:)

To satisfy possible sensory or stimulation aspect:

Pillow fight/punching

Digging in the yard

Breaking down yard sticks for the trash or compost

Popping bubble wrap

letting her chew gum ONLY when at the school table

Only letting her use her own damaged crayons/pencils. Itty bits of crayon color just as well as bigger bits and can actually refine small motor skills, which in turn my reduce some frustration issues. Id give her her own zipper bag and whatever is in it is all she gets, be it the pink crayon she didn't break of the 6 pieces of blue she did. I would NOT say it was a punishment. It actually isn't.

Remind her not to do it and what the consequence will be to avoid the problem.

Stop while things are going well. Don't wait until things start to go downhill. Always try to end on a happy note.

Could you or one of the older children rock her to sleep or lay with her? Or could you put her on the couch to take a nap with the rest of you right there doing some quiet school? It would probably take several days of consistently putting her back on the couch when she got down or reminding her to be quiet. Or you could just have her have quiet time on the couch or blanket with a pile of books or quiet toys - again, there would be several days of teaching her to stay there and be quiet, but it would be worth it if she learned to stay put and be quiet. It sounds like she is one of those kids who needs constant supervision.

Okay, I tried something like this today. I put her on the couch with her blanket and some stuffed animals. I pulled my music up through the x-box and had it playing through the tv. She stayed for about 10 minutes and then got down. I put her back about 5 times in the next 15 minutes then I finally just moved into the living room next to her and had dd8 move her books to the coffee table. She settled down long enough for us to get done. However, this was a short day and we just had a small amount of reading and seatwork to do.

Maybe I could switch our more involved subjects to the morning and move grammar, reading, math, poetry and copywork to the afternoon so that I could teach from the couch and keep dd2 settled there for a rest. She may not need a nap everyday but I still think being still and resting for about an hour would be beneficial.

I'll let you all know how tonight goes!

I can't figure out from your update whether you stayed & soothed her to sleep, or if you did Cry It Out.

I only want to know becasue I am nosy, plus I always hope for a good outcome for the child. :001_smile:

Oh, sorry! I'm a little frazzled today.:tongue_smilie:

Well, I guess you would call it a combination of the both. Last night I started out with music outside the door, took the nightlight out (dh's idea) and me laying next to her patting her back. Well, she laid there for awhile but then got bored and tried to get up. I pulled her back and resumed the patting. She tried to get up a few more times and then got mad that I was trying to spoil all of her fun and started crying and trying to push me off the bed. I tried to comfort her and rock her but she was ticked off at that point so I moved to the floor in front of the door and left her on the bed. She spent awhile conversing with her blanket and then tried to get up and mess with the blinds. I put her back in bed about 4 times in the next 15 minutes. By this time...about 40 minutes...we're both tired of each other (I did try to rub and pat her back a few more times and she grumbled at me.) She finally stayed in her bed though and started chanting "go way mommy". About 20 minutes later she was asleep.

Tonight wasn't as bad...she let me stay on the bed with her:D but she got mad if I tried to pat her on the back. She preferred banging her head on the mattress. :confused: She tried to get up 3 times but couldn't get past me so finally gave up.

So, there it is...hopefully we will continue having success.:001_smile:

Well, I guess you would call it a combination of the both. Last night I started out with music outside the door, took the nightlight out (dh's idea) and me laying next to her patting her back. Well, she laid there for awhile but then got bored and tried to get up. I pulled her back and resumed the patting. She tried to get up a few more times and then got mad that I was trying to spoil all of her fun and started crying and trying to push me off the bed. I tried to comfort her and rock her but she was ticked off at that point so I moved to the floor in front of the door and left her on the bed. She spent awhile conversing with her blanket and then tried to get up and mess with the blinds. I put her back in bed about 4 times in the next 15 minutes. By this time...about 40 minutes...we're both tired of each other (I did try to rub and pat her back a few more times and she grumbled at me.) She finally stayed in her bed though and started chanting "go way mommy". About 20 minutes later she was asleep.

Tonight wasn't as bad...she let me stay on the bed with her:D but she got mad if I tried to pat her on the back. She preferred banging her head on the mattress. :confused: She tried to get up 3 times but couldn't get past me so finally gave up.

FWIW- if you are there it's not CIO. Sounds better!

So night is your trouble, not nap?

So night is your trouble, not nap?

Both, but yesterday we didn't do nap and today she fell asleep in the car. Next week I'm going to try rest time on the couch with me sitting next to her doing some quiet school with dd8. If she falls asleep, great, if not then my goal is to train her to at least rest quietly on the couch for an hour or so in the afternoon. Like I said earlier, I really want her to nap in the afternoon but she may very well be at a point that she doesn't always need them.

Interesting. Too bad gas is so high or you could take her for a drive at naptime every day.

Have you considered that maybe she is especially bright, extremely bored, and needs to start schoolish activities now? I'm thinking laminated (untearable) flashcards for alphabet, phonics, numbers, counting, maybe later adding sight words, math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division 1-12), or other cards you make yourself such as identifying things (animals, shapes, colors, all the way up to paintings, presidents, and any other trivia you can find? You can punch holes in the cards and make little unbreakable books by tying them together with rope or a keyring.

My sister has the worst trouble with my nephew, who seems to scream at the top of his lungs whenever her attention is not on him... unless he is learning something that is. He tolerates flashcards (cheap at the dollar store or in the dollar section of target) much better than books.

Have you considered that maybe she is especially bright, extremely bored, and needs to start schoolish activities now? I'm thinking laminated (untearable) flashcards for alphabet, phonics, numbers, counting, maybe later adding sight words, math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division 1-12), or other cards you make yourself such as identifying things (animals, shapes, colors, all the way up to paintings, presidents, and any other trivia you can find? You can punch holes in the cards and make little unbreakable books by tying them together with rope or a keyring.

Yes, this is a possibility. I try to give her lots of stimulating things during the day and have the older dc try to do numbers, letters, shapes, colors with her but it was hard because of her propensity to enjoy ripping things. The laminated items is a great idea I hadn't thought of. I'll try to get some of those together and see how she does with those. Thanks!

Yes, this is a possibility. I try to give her lots of stimulating things during the day and have the older dc try to do numbers, letters, shapes, colors with her but it was hard because of her propensity to enjoy ripping things. The laminated items is a great idea I hadn't thought of. I'll try to get some of those together and see how she does with those. Thanks!

Have you ever just sat her down in a laundry basket with lots of paper and let her rip to her hearts content? Redirect any inappropriate ripping to appropriate ripping.

Both, but yesterday we didn't do nap and today she fell asleep in the car. Next week I'm going to try rest time on the couch with me sitting next to her doing some quiet school with dd8. If she falls asleep, great, if not then my goal is to train her to at least rest quietly on the couch for an hour or so in the afternoon. Like I said earlier, I really want her to nap in the afternoon but she may very well be at a point that she doesn't always need them.

I recently read the book Sleepless in America

It's by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka (The author of Raising Your Spirited Child), and it's an excellent book that might really have some helpful tips for your situation. She links misbehavior to lack of sleep. Her suggestions are gentle and respectful of children, but she says that kids need naps until age 5, even if it doesn't seem like they do, even if they don't want to take one. And that regular nap times, bed times, and wake times, along with a nap and bed time routine, are key.

It might be worth a read if your library has it.

Have you ever just sat her down in a laundry basket with lots of paper and let her rip to her hearts content? Redirect any inappropriate ripping to appropriate ripping.

Actually we have a large cardboard box in the garage that is just for that purpose. I do put in there often but I don't think she finds that as fulfilling because she doesn't get a show from the person who's things she's ripping. I'm trying to teach the dc to not react but it's slow going.

I recently read the book Sleepless in America

I'll check that out, thanks.

I think you have my almost 4yo whirlwind. She has never, and I mean never, gone to sleep willingly. She wouldn't even nurse to sleep as a baby. Even the destructiveness sounds like mine. I just thought you'd like to know you are not alone.:grouphug:

:DThanks!