Menu

McD's Forcing "Healthier" Happy Meals?

We are back to the "choice architect" Cass Sunstein.

I don't need "encouragement". I demand choices that are actually choices. When all the options look the same, how is that a choice? It isn't.

Huh? :001_huh: The choices are not the same, they are different. The choices are:

half fries/half apples

all fries

all apples

The default is changing so that unless one specifies otherwise they will recieve choice #1. Either of the other choices may be specified by the customer. The customer will actually have more choices with the new happy meal.

I don't understand the outrage either, even if I do think it's just a marketing gimmick. It's not like fries have been removed from the menu. I guess people probably got all huffy about it a few years ago when the apple option first came on the scene...I somehow avoided that kerfluffle.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<shrug> I like the idea. My kids usually share 2 Happy Meals for 3 kids and we get one with fries and one with apples and split everything. So this works great for us. I'm grateful for choices.

I went to Wendys the other day and was surprised to see they no longer have the mandarin oranges? They had something else (apples I think?), but my kids loved those little orange bits.

No more mandarin oranges?! :svengo: Those were dd's favorite thing to eat at Wendy's.

I think it's a good idea. Judging by the number of morbidly obese kids I see every day, most parents just aren't capable of feeding their kids decently healthy foods, so at least now kids that have dinner at McD's every night will get some fruit.

:iagree:

And yet McDonald's, one of the largest and most successful chains in the world, is listening to whomever these people are. They must have their reasons.

I'm not sure I understand what you are upset about. McDonald's is free, and always has been, to offer whatever they want in their Happy Meals (San Francisco aside). In the past they "forced" unhealthy Happy Meals. Now they are "forcing" healthier ones. How is this force and not just the decision they make about what to sell in their store?

If you don't want fries in your Happy Meal, ask for it without fries. Ask for more apples in lieu of the fries. According to the article, customers had to ask for apples instead of fries. So the fries have always been part of the Happy Meal. Now they are offering both fries and apples.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be snarky, but I read your post several times and don't understand what the issue is. To me it seems like some people scream when the options are unhealthy and some people scream when the options are healthy. Apparently McDonald's can't please everyone. :o I don't eat there anyway, because their fries are not vegan. We get our fries at Burger King. :)

Tara

:iagree::iagree:

That people who eat at McDonalds frequently will die earlier? That's certainly true. Morbid obesity is one of the leading causes of death in this country, and fast food places have some of the unhealthiest food available anywhere. I don't know if healther menu options will keep people alive longer, but it's certainly a possibility.

No, you claimed it is McDonald's business model to knowingly market and sell food that ends people's lives. The statement is inflammatory and untrue.

McDonald's food IS NOT MEANT TO BE EATEN EVERY DAY. A customer who eats there once a week is considered BY MCDONALD'S to be a super-heavy user. If anyone CHOOSES to eat there 3 times a day, then that is their choice. McDonald's has no control over how often you drive thru. They do, however, expect that if people are unable to exhibit a modicum of self control, that that is the customer's responsibility. Not theirs.

Huh? :001_huh: The choices are not the same, they are different. The choices are:

half fries/half apples

all fries

all apples

The default is changing so that unless one specifies otherwise they will recieve choice #1. Either of the other choices may be specified by the customer. The customer will actually have more choices with the new happy meal.

I don't understand the outrage either, even if I do think it's just a marketing gimmick. It's not like fries have been removed from the menu. I guess people probably got all huffy about it a few years ago when the apple option first came on the scene...I somehow avoided that kerfluffle.

You need to read Nudge. Get it?

A customer who eats there once a week is considered BY MCDONALD'S to be a super-heavy user.

That's really interesting.

I'm too cheap to buy Happy Meals. When we have McDonald's (once every couple months), I buy the kids a 2-cheeseburger meal, I drink the Diet Coke (make them drink out of their water bottles) and I get a double cheeseburger (throw away the bun). Cheaper than 2 happy meals and I get food too.

I'm not sure I understand what you are upset about. McDonald's is free, and always has been, to offer whatever they want in their Happy Meals (San Francisco aside). In the past they "forced" unhealthy Happy Meals. Now they are "forcing" healthier ones. How is this force and not just the decision they make about what to sell in their store?

Tara

What I have been annoyed about is that the last 3 times we went there, I ordered Happy Meals with apples and received Happy Meals with fries and apples. Nowhere on the menu had they changed it to reflect that they were changing the Happy Meal contents. When I ordered, nobody said, "Is it ok if we give you half apples and half fries?" Or, "Would you like 2 bags of apples instead of fries and apples?"

I am glad to see that they will give us 2 bags of apples instead of fries on request, in theory. I had begun to wonder if it was impossible to get just apples and I really wonder if the people filling my orders over the last few months have been making "mistakes," or if it was part of a quiet policy to push the new half and half plan. Honestly, that was my whole beef! I was annoyed to keep getting fries and less apples when I requested apples specifically and based on my past experiences, I was thinking that I was no longer going to have a choice to get the happy meal without fries. Really, I just want the apples for the caramel sauce....:tongue_smilie:

No, you claimed it is McDonald's business model to knowingly market and sell food that ends people's lives. The statement is inflammatory and untrue.

McDonald's food IS NOT MEANT TO BE EATEN EVERY DAY. A customer who eats there once a week is considered BY MCDONALD'S to be a super-heavy user. If anyone CHOOSES to eat there 3 times a day, then that is their choice. McDonald's has no control over how often you drive thru. They do, however, expect that if people are unable to exhibit a modicum of self control, that that is the customer's responsibility. Not theirs.

Um, no. I didn't. McDonalds is, I would assume, trying to sell as much food as possible. The food in question is bad for you, and if you eat it a lot, it eventually kills you. I never said they are trying to kill people. Simply that death is an unintended result of using their product.

And, er, calm down. I've never seen anyone leap to the defense of a fast food place with such... vigor.

Try something new... don't eat there! :lol: No one is forcing anyone to eat anything. If you don't like the changes at your local fast food joint, then find another, or actually make real food (if that even still exists).

Oo! Oo! I swear I saw some the other day hiding between the Twinkies and the SpaghettiO's. ;)

Um, no. I didn't. McDonalds is, I would assume, trying to sell as much food as possible. The food in question is bad for you, and if you eat it a lot, it eventually kills you. I never said they are trying to kill people. Simply that death is an unintended result of using their product.

And, er, calm down. I've never seen anyone leap to the defense of a fast food place with such... vigor.

Your assumption is incorrect. McDonald's is trying to sell to as many people as possible. They aren't trying to get current customers to shove more food down their gullets at the expense of their health. I have worked for one of their sales promotion agencies. Have you?

I am tired of hearing how everyone needs someone to look out for their choices. I'm tired of hearing how big, bad McDonald's (or other giant company) is out to ruin your children, your health, your world. If people took responsibility for their own choices, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Edited by cdrumm4448

We too have calorie counts on the signage now for each item. That in correlation with the San Francisco Happy Meal laws makes me wonder if perhaps the new half apples/half fries is related to that? Because now the default calorie count on a Happy Meal is much lower. Does it now fall below whatever threshold is needed to allow toys in the meals in San Francisco?

... making a note to self to try to find out the answer if nobody knows, right after we have our lunch. ;)

I'd rather see them focus on improving the burgers and nuggets, personally. Chick Fil A has amazingly tasty nuggets. My kids call McDonald's chicken nuggets 'chicken butts' and joke about what unsavory parts of the bird might be in them. The burgers, truthfully, are fairly pitiful. The choice between apples and fries was already there.

:iagree: We only eat McDs on road trips, though.

IMO, the only thing worth eating at McDonald's are sundae's and french fries!! But I only eat them once a year or so. If we do happen to eat at McD's, my ds gets nuggets/burger and fries. He doesn't really like apples. He loves strawberries and cherries though!

Melissa

What I have been annoyed about is that the last 3 times we went there, I ordered Happy Meals with apples and received Happy Meals with fries and apples. Nowhere on the menu had they changed it to reflect that they were changing the Happy Meal contents. When I ordered, nobody said, "Is it ok if we give you half apples and half fries?" Or, "Would you like 2 bags of apples instead of fries and apples?"

I am glad to see that they will give us 2 bags of apples instead of fries on request, in theory. I had begun to wonder if it was impossible to get just apples and I really wonder if the people filling my orders over the last few months have been making "mistakes," or if it was part of a quiet policy to push the new half and half plan. Honestly, that was my whole beef! I was annoyed to keep getting fries and less apples when I requested apples specifically and based on my past experiences, I was thinking that I was no longer going to have a choice to get the happy meal without fries. Really, I just want the apples for the caramel sauce....:tongue_smilie:

So, why didn't you just say, "Hey, I didn't want fries, only apples?"

I totally don't get the outrage.

But, it's weird, but my Dad got the dc Happy Meals last week and they came with the regular kids fries, no apples.:confused:

So, why didn't you just say, "Hey, I didn't want fries, only apples?"

I totally don't get the outrage.

When I eat at McDonald's, I order a salad or a Happy Meal. The portion size of the burger and fries in the Happy Meal is equivalent to the portion size of the meal for adults 40 years ago. I want the small fry, not the micro-fry, and I don't want to have to specially request it.

I think this move is just fine. As a business McDonald's should have the freedom to choose what's on their menu. This move isn't from forced legislation but rather from pressure from customers and trying to serve those customers. If people still want fries there are other restaurants to choose from.

We are back to the "choice architect" Cass Sunstein.

I don't need "encouragement". I demand choices that are actually choices. When all the options look the same, how is that a choice? It isn't.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I don't know anything about Cass Sunstein - can you explain?

I guess I understand balking at the "encouragement", but I do need information in order to make healthy choices. In the grocery store, I can read labels to choose, for example, the chicken broth without MSG, or with lower sodium, or less added preservatives, or from organic chickens, or whatever. In a restaurant, that information is not always available. A chef can make an omelet or burger that is low in fat and has a reasonable number of calories, or he can make one that is the opposite. At home, I know the omelet isn't cooked in a lot of oil, or the burger is made with 85% lean meat, or the roll is made of bread without added fat, or whatever. When I'm out, I can't tell how the item is cooked, and calories/fat can vary widely based on the choices made by the chef. I *WANT* the information; that's why I like the cities where the calories are right there on the menu.

When I eat at McDonald's, I order a salad or a Happy Meal. The portion size of the burger and fries in the Happy Meal is equivalent to the portion size of the meal for adults 40 years ago. I want the small fry, not the micro-fry, and I don't want to have to specially request it.

And maybe other people would like them to come micro fry/apples so they can tell their kids, "It comes that way." They are a business - they can do what they want. You are a customer - you can choose to eat at Wendy's instead if you don't like the new plan.

If enough people feel the way you do and McD's sees it is hurting their business (because so many people choose to eat elsewhere) then they will change it back, right?

I'm hoping they finally play catch up to Burger King and start offering veggie burgers. :tongue_smilie: We sometimes go just for the dollar sundaes. And no' date=' we don't want them to substitute that with apples. :lol:[/quote']

They don't have a veggie burger? What? Here in Germany, McD's has a veggie burger (click to see a pic), but it's not like the Grillers that BK sells. It's actually chopped up veggies (red peppers, corn, and a few others) held together with some sort of corn meal (I think). They're crazy spicy, and crazy delicious. They're on the buns they use for reualr hamburgers, but the patties are thicker. Also, they only cost €1. I order mine without mayo (I detest mayo) and just put ketchup on them (no HFCS in the ketchup here, but you have to pay for it).

Here's a weird thing about McD's in Germany. Unless an item comes with cheese, you can't get it. As in, you order a chicken burger (click to see) which does not come with cheese and you ask for cheese to be added. They'll tell you no. It does not come on it. I asked why once, and the guy at the register looked at me and said "Because we have not a button for that. It comes not with cheese." :D BK will "make it your way" but not McD's. They have cheese, you just can't have any. You can buy beer though!

We too have calorie counts on the signage now for each item.

It's required to be on the packaging here. They put the calorie count, the total number of recommended daily calories and what percentage of those that item is. It's kind of nice, but also frightening.

The portion sizes here are significantly smaller than the ones in the States. A large is about the size of a US medium here (med, about the size of a small, and a small, well, really small). There are no super sizes.

I'm hoping they finally play catch up to Burger King and start offering veggie burgers. :tongue_smilie: We sometimes go just for the dollar sundaes. And no' date=' we don't want them to substitute that with apples. :lol:[/quote']

Everyone in our family is vegetarian. So we don't go to McDonald's because they don't have food I can eat. A long time ago they offered vegetarian pizzas as a special promotion. I haven't gone since they got rid of that offer.

It can be a pain when driving long distances and wanting to just get fast food and keep going, and everywhere we drive past the only fast food option is McDonalds.

Your assumption is incorrect. McDonald's is trying to sell to as many people as possible. They aren't trying to get current customers to shove more food down their gullets at the expense of their health. I have worked for one of their sales promotion agencies. Have you?

I am tired of hearing how everyone needs someone to look out for their choices. I'm tired of hearing how big, bad McDonald's (or other giant company) is out to ruin your children, your health, your world. If people took responsibility for their own choices, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Oh, please. McD's is out to make as much of a profit for the stockholders as possible without violating the law. Period. They want to get new customers, AND they want current customers to eat there more often. If they were so terribly concerned about the people who eat their food, there are an almost endless number of things they could do to improve the quality and healthfulness of their product, but they don't. Why? Profits. Fat and sugar are the two most addictive foods out there. Consuming large amounts of fat and sugar causes changes in the brain similar to drugs. You think it's just coincidence that McDonald's food is absolutely loaded with fat and sugar?

Edited by Mergath

I would be more impressed it McDonald's stopped using meat-fillers that tend to be so contaminated that they were once used only in dog food, but are now treated with Ammonia (to kill E coli and other pathogens) and ground into the burgers.

The company has no scruples, and does not act in the interest of its customers health. They act when they come under scrutiny and public pressure.

Bill

Try something new... don't eat there! :lol: No one is forcing anyone to eat anything. If you don't like the changes at your local fast food joint, then find another, or actually make real food (if that even still exists).

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Cannot believe you think someone is forcing you to eat apples.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I don't know anything about Cass Sunstein - can you explain?

Cass Sunstein wants to design all your choices for you, so you can't make any (of what he considers) bad ones. If the menu only consists of apples or oranges as a side with a hamburger, then he's doing his job.

http://dougreich.blogspot.com/2009/04/meet-cass-sunstein-your-choice.html

Don't know, but hope that at some point they have organic food! ;) Can you imagine? Organic Chx strips fried in say... coconut oil with organic baked fries and and Organic Milkshake!! ;) Would that mean they'd have say... little wooden toys, too? (And probably cost $9.99) :)

I really would love this, and I'd be happy to pay say... $4.50. Perhaps they could have something for the child to make in it or just the plastic... whatever. The organic food would make me... past happy!

Edited by NayfiesMama

Oh, please. McD's is out to make as much of a profit for the stockholders as possible without violating the law. Period. They want to get new customers, AND they want current customers to eat there more often. If they were so terribly concerned about the people who eat their food, there are an almost endless number of things they could do to improve the quality and healthfulness of their product, but they don't. Why? Profits. Fat and sugar are the two most addictive foods out there. Consuming large amounts of fat and sugar causes changes in the brain similar to drugs. You think it's just coincidence that McDonald's food is absolutely loaded with fat and sugar?

I am a McDonald's shareholder, so I appreciate their effort toward success. If fat and sugar are as addictive as you claim, then everyone would eat McDonald's constantly once they've tried it. There's a little thing missing from your equation called self control and moderation.

Yes, they are. They are using every single food science trick in the book to make their food appealing. More salt, more fat, more sugar... pushing every single button in our brains to make us eat past the point at which we are full. So, yeah, I may not have worked at McDonald's, but I don't think that makes me unqualified to critique the company. In fact, I do believe it makes me more so.

From an article in Science News:

"
Junk food elicits addictive behavior in rats similar to the behaviors of rats addicted to heroin
, a new study finds. Pleasure centers in the brains of rats addicted to high-fat, high-calorie diets became less responsive as the binging wore on,
making the rats consume more and more food
. The results, presented October 20 at the Society for Neuroscience’s annual meeting, may help explain the changes in the brain that lead people to overeat.

“This is the most complete evidence to date that suggests obesity and drug addiction have common neurobiological underpinnings,†says study coauthor Paul Johnson of the Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter, Fla."

Margaret

I believe Burger King (or maybe it was McDonalds) in Montreal, Canada offered veggie burgers back in 2003! The US seems so behind. :confused:

Honestly, I don't care what McDonalds offers, we don't eat there. 'Kids meals' offered by restaurants are generally unhealthy, if not worse than adults meals. We try to avoid ordering kids meals for our girls and order one healthy 'adult' meal for them and split it for the girls.

Yes, they are. They are using every single food science trick in the book to make their food appealing. More salt, more fat, more sugar... pushing every single button in our brains to make us eat past the point at which we are full. So, yeah, I may not have worked at McDonald's, but I don't think that makes me unqualified to critique the company. In fact, I do believe it makes me more so.

From an article in Science News:

"
Junk food elicits addictive behavior in rats similar to the behaviors of rats addicted to heroin
, a new study finds. Pleasure centers in the brains of rats addicted to high-fat, high-calorie diets became less responsive as the binging wore on,
making the rats consume more and more food
. The results, presented October 20 at the Society for Neuroscience’s annual meeting, may help explain the changes in the brain that lead people to overeat.

“This is the most complete evidence to date that suggests obesity and drug addiction have common neurobiological underpinnings,†says study coauthor Paul Johnson of the Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter, Fla."

Margaret

One new study does not convince me. And, if you assume this information is correct, you are also assuming you know McDonald's intent is to make us all fat and kill us early.

People will likely still buy it. It's all about the toy because otherwise they'd just order a burger and fries and call it a day (which is cheaper anyway). My son wants the toy. He could care less about the rest of it.

Probably so. :-)

People will likely still buy it. It's all about the toy because otherwise they'd just order a burger and fries and call it a day (which is cheaper anyway). My son wants the toy. He could care less about the rest of it.

Did you know you can JUST buy the toy? They'll sell you the Happy Meal toy for $1 at every McDonald's that we've ever lived by.

I never buy Happy Meals, but there have been a few toys that DC have just "had" to have when they saw their friends had them.

That's really interesting.

I'm too cheap to buy Happy Meals. When we have McDonald's (once every couple months), I buy the kids a 2-cheeseburger meal, I drink the Diet Coke (make them drink out of their water bottles) and I get a double cheeseburger (throw away the bun). Cheaper than 2 happy meals and I get food too.

That's what we do too (when we are on the road and have to get something quick)...

BTW, I've eaten at McDonald's many times over my 43 years (anyone remember .55 Big Macs?). Never was addicted to any of it. I will agree that a diet high in HFCS will increase your appetite and you will crave poor-quality foods, however I don't define that as an addiction. I've quit all HFCS and processed food without any medical intervention or counseling. I won't agree that McD's in evil. After watching SuperSize me, I have more contempt for the soda industry (replacing sugar w/ cheaper HFCS in the 80s) than McDs.

K

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too

I saw this on the news today. They stated that Mc D would in fact be cutting the fries portion in half and including another item with it. It would be apples, raisins, carrots and maybe something else. They didn't state if you would have a choice of carrots, apples, or raisins, or if that choice would be made for you.

Apples are not healthy, per se. They're largely carb and sugar. They're also #4 on the list of the 'dirty dozen.' I'll bet $10 McD's isn't using organic apples. Also, the McD's apples are presliced. A normal apple will go brown once it's sliced. In order to keep them from going brown, they add some preservative slime to it.

I'm not going to argue that the apples slices (even sans sugar jolt mascarading as caramel sauce) are healthier than the fries. They aren't.

Apples = carbs, sugar and preservative slime

Fries - carbs, fat (of disputable origin) and sodium.

Neither are qualified "healthy" choices.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to pretend that McDonald's is where to go for a healthy meal. It's a junk food treat. There's nothing wrong with that. McDonald's is just trying to pander to the current sensibilities by pretending to offer something that appears "healthy." Their concern isn't the actual healthful qualities of the food, but rather its appeal to consumers and its profit margin potential.

McDonald's is not your friend. It's a business that wants your money. If you want it, please go ahead and buy the food, but don't buy the hype from the corporate schills. That's just absurd.

Edited by Audrey

I have worked both at McDonald's as well as with one of their marketing firms (I helped develop marketing tie-ins with Disney for Happy Meals!) and that statement is untrue.

I used to work at a B Dalton, that shared a hallway with a McDonald's, at a local Atlanta mall. After I saw, threw the back door, what went on there, I never eat there again. The fright elevator smelled so bad from all the grease, and that grease collection thing... I shudder at the memory of the fumes. If only people could only see what their food goes through before it pops out the drive-through window, I believe many would start bagging their lunches more often. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't read the whole thread, but I don't really view this as FORCING healthy eating, any more than they forced UNHEALTHY eating before. I think they might well be listening to what people want. Or at least providing a choice for them. Maybe some of the top execs wondered why their wives won't eat McDonald's :D and after researching it, decided to offer an alternative. (Yes, I made the assumption that they are male, simply because it went better with my scenario).

Nobody complained when they started out and offered we had no choice but to have the fries. That is how they were known back then. I think it's a great thing that my girls might, just might be 'reprogrammed' to eat healthy when OUT of the house. Lord knows they don't have a choice when they are IN the house

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

(My two are well beyond the Happy Meal stage; they did enjoy the toys when treated to McD's though.)

Apples are not healthy, per se. They're largely carb and sugar. They're also #4 on the list of the 'dirty dozen.' I'll bet $10 McD's isn't using organic apples. Also, the McD's apples are presliced. A normal apple will go brown once it's sliced. In order to keep them from going brown, they add some preservative slime to it.

I'm not going to argue that the apples slices (even sans sugar jolt mascarading as caramel sauce) are healthier than the fries. They aren't.

Apples = carbs, sugar and preservative slime

Fries - carbs, fat (of disputable origin) and sodium.

Neither are qualified "healthy" choices.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to pretend that McDonald's is where to go for a healthy meal. It's a junk food treat. There's nothing wrong with that. McDonald's is just trying to pander to the current sensibilities by pretending to offer something that appears "healthy." Their concern isn't the actual healthful qualities of the food, but rather its appeal to consumers and its profit margin potential.

McDonald's is not your friend. It's a business that wants your money. If you want it, please go ahead and buy the food, but don't buy the hype from the corporate schills. That's just absurd.

I know, how dare they try to do something to fix an epidemic that has guaranteed a whole generation will have a shorter life expectancy than their parents! It's an outrage!!!!! We all have the right to get our kids hooked on addictive junk when they are young and don't know any better! *grumble grumble*

Currently, you can request fries or apples with kids' meals. If they start including smaller portions of both and remove the choice to have one or the other, what are they fixing? :confused:

Your statement is absurd.

You snipped the part about McDonalds using ammonia to kill pathogens in meat-fillers that were once considered so contaminated by slaughterhouses that they were once only used in dog food.

Do you care as a paid professional who promotes their products and as a shareholder in the corporation to explain how the practice of ammoniating beef isn't unscrupulous? And how it is a practice that isn't adverse to its customers health?

You don't deny this is how McDonalds treats its meat, do you?

Bill

I would be more impressed it McDonald's stopped using meat-fillers that tend to be so contaminated that they were once used only in dog food, but are now treated with Ammonia (to kill E coli and other pathogens) and ground into the burgers.

The company has no scruples, and does not act in the interest of its customers health. They act when they come under scrutiny and public pressure.

Bill

So you're in favor of e.coli in burgers, Bill?!

(you know this is a joke, right?)

Cass Sunstein wants to design all your choices for you, so you can't make any (of what he considers) bad ones. If the menu only consists of apples or oranges as a side with a hamburger, then he's doing his job.

http://dougreich.blogspot.com/2009/04/meet-cass-sunstein-your-choice.html

I looked at the link, but it was way to dense for me. Could you give us the "easy reader" version? What is this guy's philosophy, what does it have to do with Happy Meals with or without apples, and how does he fit it to it if he doesn't work for McD's??

You snipped the part about McDonalds using ammonia to kill pathogens in meat-fillers that were once considered so contaminated by slaughterhouses that they were once only used in dog food.

Do you care as a paid professional who promotes their products and as a shareholder in the corporation to explain how the practice of ammoniating beef isn't unscrupulous? And how it is a practice that isn't adverse to its customers health?

You don't deny this is how McDonalds treats its meat, do you?

Bill

I was under the impression that something like 70%+ of the hamburger purchased (not just Mickey D's, but in your local grocery store) was treated this way... and the only way to know "for certain" your hamburger didn't include the ammonia-treated leftovers was to have a local butcher grind it for you, grind it yourself or buy organic.

That people who eat at McDonalds frequently will die earlier? That's certainly true. Morbid obesity is one of the leading causes of death in this country, and fast food places have some of the unhealthiest food available anywhere. I don't know if healther menu options will keep people alive longer, but it's certainly a possibility.

Not that lower calories equals more healthy...but a salad from Chicfila/wendys/McDonalds etc. is more often lower in calories then a sit-down restaurant. Of course home is best. But, overall, you can keep your calorie count lower by eating fastfood than sit down places.

It really is about what and where you choose. We eat at Chic Fil A during the kids night. I often get a salad. The dc get a fruiseparator.gift cup in place of fries. It has a mix of fruit not just slimy apples. In the winter, my dc love their soup. These places sell what people buy. As more people choose healthier options, they add more. If no one buys them, they disappear.

I have no problem with the existence of McDonalds. We joke that it is for 'emergencies' only. :D I would rather support chic-fil-a because I see an effort on their part to provide a better quality food over other fast food places.