Menu

McD's Forcing "Healthier" Happy Meals?

You need to read Nudge. Get it?

Apparently not. :001_huh:

I was under the impression that something like 70%+ of the hamburger purchased (not just Mickey D's, but in your local grocery store) was treated this way... and the only way to know "for certain" your hamburger didn't include the ammonia-treated leftovers was to have a local butcher grind it for you, grind it yourself or buy organic.

I believe that you are correct, except I was thinking the percentage of treated beef was upwards of 90+% for some reason. I'm willing to bet that nearly every time one purchases a beef dish at a restaurant, sit-down, drive-thru, or otherwise, they are getting ammoniated beef (rare exceptions for those establishments that serve up organic grub...we don't have any of those around here). This is the main reason that I only serve meat a few times per week. I can't afford to serve the good stuff daily, and I don't want to serve the conventional stuff.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe ther are so many overweight kids because they eat too much? It jas nothing to do with the happy meal. How many kids on THIS thread alone have outgrown the kid's meal? I haven't even outgrown the kids meal! HOW is that not enough calories for lunch? Kid's meals are some of the few restaurant meals I can finish!

KFP

Everyone in our family is vegetarian. So we don't go to McDonald's because they don't have food I can eat. A long time ago they offered vegetarian pizzas as a special promotion. I haven't gone since they got rid of that offer.

It can be a pain when driving long distances and wanting to just get fast food and keep going, and everywhere we drive past the only fast food option is McDonalds.

Vegetarian pizza would be a great option!

We try to give our business elsewhere too, but the dollar sundaes are a cheap treat once in a while. I used to ask every time if they offer veggie burgers to emphasize that they're losing money to BK which does.

Wendy's baked potatoes work and BK veggie burgers, but that's about it from the usual fast food places. It was even harder years ago before BK offered the veggie burger. We'd get a bun with lettuce, tomato and cheese on it. When we were vegan, it was without the cheese. :lol:

We try to avoid fast food. :tongue_smilie:

Mom in High Heels wrote:

They don't have a veggie burger? What? Here in Germany, McD's has a veggie burger (click to see a pic), but it's not like the Grillers that BK sells. It's actually chopped up veggies (red peppers, corn, and a few others) held together with some sort of corn meal (I think). They're crazy spicy, and crazy delicious. They're on the buns they use for reualr hamburgers, but the patties are thicker. Also, they only cost €1. I order mine without mayo (I detest mayo) and just put ketchup on them (no HFCS in the ketchup here, but you have to pay for it).

Here's a weird thing about McD's in Germany. Unless an item comes with cheese, you can't get it. As in, you order a chicken burger (click to see) which does not come with cheese and you ask for cheese to be added. They'll tell you no. It does not come on it. I asked why once, and the guy at the register looked at me and said "Because we have not a button for that. It comes not with cheese." :D BK will "make it your way" but not McD's. They have cheese, you just can't have any. You can buy beer though!

That veggie burger sounds amazing!

Yes! Here too - Mc D's has never been one to let you have it your way. :lol:

Pink wrote:

I believe Burger King (or maybe it was McDonalds) in Montreal, Canada offered veggie burgers back in 2003! The US seems so behind. :confused:

Honestly, I don't care what McDonalds offers, we don't eat there. 'Kids meals' offered by restaurants are generally unhealthy, if not worse than adults meals. We try to avoid ordering kids meals for our girls and order one healthy 'adult' meal for them and split it for the girls.

BK had them before 2003, but only at a few locations. I've never seen them offered at McD.

That's a smart way to do it with splitting an adult meal. :)

If it were about healthy... they wouldn't sell fries to kids.

I think it is about MONEY. Cheaper to do fries than apples... but SPIN it to sound like they are being so thoughtful and considerate of your health.

Really, if you are about healthy.... are you eating fast food.... are you eating at McDonald's so often? Get real.... know your market & please your customers.

Maybe ther are so many overweight kids because they eat too much? It jas nothing to do with the happy meal. How many kids on THIS thread alone have outgrown the kid's meal? I haven't even outgrown the kids meal! HOW is that not enough calories for lunch? Kid's meals are some of the few restaurant meals I can finish!

KFP

Agreed. I think a McDonald's kids cheeseburger meal (including kids fry and milk) comes in right around 500 calories. That number is a bit lower if you swap the fries for apples. I always order kids meals all around (even for my 12yo and myself) when I go to McD's.

You snipped the part about McDonalds using ammonia to kill pathogens in meat-fillers that were once considered so contaminated by slaughterhouses that they were once only used in dog food.

Do you care as a paid professional who promotes their products and as a shareholder in the corporation to explain how the practice of ammoniating beef isn't unscrupulous? And how it is a practice that isn't adverse to its customers health?

You don't deny this is how McDonalds treats its meat, do you?

Bill

Proof?

Cass Sunstein wrote Nudge to present his ideas regarding how to get the general public to make better food choices. He believes by "nudging" people (changing their choices one little bit at a time, ironically just like what McDonald's is doing with their fries/apples) that you will eventually cause large changes to occur. He goes on and on about how people should be manipulated to make choices he approves of. After people get used to fries with apples in a Happy Meal, it's not a big jump to apples only.

Cass is a favorite of our current administration.

And as to the ammonia thing, see below.

Thank you for contacting McDonald’s and for sharing your concerns. I appreciate the opportunity to share the following information with you.

Please know that McDonald’s food safety and quality assurance standards are among the highest in the industry. With extensive food safety measures in place throughout the entire supply chain process, McDonald’s standards meet or exceed government requirements. McDonald’s uses only 100 percent USDA-inspected ground beef in their hamburger patties.

Be assured that we do not add ammonia to our hamburger patties. In fact, ammonia is only used by our suppliers as a processing aid to kill harmful bacteria. This process is approved by the USDA and ensures safe, quality food.

Additionally, ammonia is a basic building block of protein and occurs naturally in beef, both raw and cooked. It is a key component of the flavor of cooked beef. Ammonia is a naturally occurring compound in meats and fish – (fish and shellfish have more than beef). Ammonia is a nitrogen containing compound and so are proteins.

As you may not know, lean beef trimmings are approved by the USDA and are a widely used and well-established industry practice. They are subject to the same stringent standards, and inspection and testing practices, required for all beef used in the production of our hamburger patties.

McDonald’s continues to work with its suppliers, local, state and federal agencies, our industry and others, to ensure these standards are rigorously maintained. And, more importantly, that we serve safe, high quality products to every customer, every time they visit our restaurants.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald’s.

Lisa

McDonald’s Customer Response Center

Doesn't sound like a problem.

Cass Sunstein wrote Nudge to present his ideas regarding how to get the general public to make better food choices. He believes by "nudging" people (changing their choices one little bit at a time, ironically just like what McDonald's is doing with their fries/apples) that you will eventually cause large changes to occur. He goes on and on about how people should be manipulated to make choices he approves of. After people get used to fries with apples in a Happy Meal, it's not a big jump to apples only.

Cass is a favorite of our current administration.

Yes, what a terrible, terrible idea. Getting people to make healthy eating choices a little at a time. My god. It's the end of the world as we know it.

Unless, of course, we eat ourselves to death first. Which is a very real possibility.

Thank you for contacting McDonald’s and for sharing your concerns. I appreciate the opportunity to share the following information with you.

Please know that McDonald’s food safety and quality assurance standards are among the highest in the industry. With extensive food safety measures in place throughout the entire supply chain process, McDonald’s standards meet or exceed government requirements. McDonald’s uses only 100 percent USDA-inspected ground beef in their hamburger patties.

Be assured that we do not add ammonia to our hamburger patties. In fact, ammonia is only used by our suppliers as a processing aid to kill harmful bacteria. This process is approved by the USDA and ensures safe, quality food.

Additionally, ammonia is a basic building block of protein and occurs naturally in beef, both raw and cooked. It is a key component of the flavor of cooked beef. Ammonia is a naturally occurring compound in meats and fish – (fish and shellfish have more than beef). Ammonia is a nitrogen containing compound and so are proteins.

As you may not know, lean beef trimmings are approved by the USDA and are a widely used and well-established industry practice. They are subject to the same stringent standards, and inspection and testing practices, required for all beef used in the production of our hamburger patties.

McDonald’s continues to work with its suppliers, local, state and federal agencies, our industry and others, to ensure these standards are rigorously maintained. And, more importantly, that we serve safe, high quality products to every customer, every time they visit our restaurants.

Lisa

I worked at a few different fast food chains as a teen, and I can say with absolute certainty that having the highest standards in the industry and meeting government standards basically just means that you don't let the staff actually crap atop the burgers.

Also, I could make burgers from nothing but cow anuses and call it 100% beef. Oh, and cyanide is naturally occuring in apples. Doesn't mean I want to eat a burger soaked in it.

So, yes, all that still sounds like a problem. Honestly, I would have expected better from the spin department of such a massive corporation. If that's the best they can come up with, their food must be even worse than I thought.

Lisa

:smilielol5:

I worked at a few different fast food chains as a teen, and I can say with absolute certainty that having the highest standards in the industry and meeting government standards basically just means that you don't let the staff actually crap atop the burgers.

Also, I could make burgers from nothing but cow anuses and call it 100% beef. Oh, and cyanide is naturally occuring in apples. Doesn't mean I want to eat a burger soaked in it.

So, yes, all that still sounds like a problem. Honestly, I would have expected better from the spin department of such a massive corporation. If that's the best they can come up with, their food must be even worse than I thought.

:iagree:

We don't like the apples at McDonald's because whatever they use to leep them from browning in those bags has a flavor we don't like at all. Besides, we eat plenty of apples at home - fresh, organic, not coated in some preservative.

Carbon dioxide, most likely.

Rosie

In truly desperate times, I've only ever ordered from the $1 menu. I don't think there are any health rules there. "I'll have a heart attack cheeseburger, some artery- clogging fries, and a cancer-causing diet cola."

"That will be $3."

"Ok, thanks bunches!"

Edited by LibraryLover

Okay. That is funny to read.

A facebook friend "liked" this article and I didn't want to vent on her page but thought I'd see what you all thought. Now, McDonalds will be putting smaller fries and apples in every happy meal instead of offering parents the choice. This has been going on where I live for quite a while already and it really irritates me! I think it is glaringly contradictory to say that they are "bowing to consumer pressure" in doing this yet only 11% of consumers requested apples in the first place. I think if the consumers wanted apples, they'd ask for apples. The people who are pressuring them for healthier happy meals are probably not their customers and most wouldn't go there no matter what they offer on principle.

On the other hand, we always asked for apples. We liked them and my DS hates fries. Now, our happy meals are significantly less healthy because even though we always asked for apples, we have been getting fewer apples and a half pack of fries! My other kids were happy with the apples but will eat the fries, and with my DS the fries would be in the trash if he didn't have his sisters to pass them off to. I wonder how many apples are going to be tossed now? So wasteful. I am happy to see they may be offering a wider variety of fruit and veggies in the future but I am so annoyed by them throwing fries into every happy meal when we were thrilled to not see them anymore.

And please, no flames for going to McDs...it's not like it's every week and my kids are perfectly fine. Everything in moderation....The food is legal and I am capable of making educated choices.

Article Here

More choices are a positive change. Yes, people can make educated choices before and after menu changes. Not sure I understand what everyone's beef is. No one is forced to eat at McDonald's, and the old menu items continue to be available.

Lisa

I understand your position, but think about it. If you read this when on line and about to order your burger, wouldn't you think twice about it? So not reassuring in my mind. USDA sometimes just means money changed hands to get it through "inspections".

Lisa

So first they misrepresent the truth (read: they make a bald-faced lie) by saying they don't add ammonia to their beef.

Then they admit that their suppliers do exactly that! How's that for being scrupulous?

Then they misrepresent the truth by trying to confuse the customer into believing that the chemicals they dump into the food is "natural." What a lie!

Then they again lie and call the contaminated meat fillers that were once used only for dog food "lean meat trimmings" (which make them sound like a "good thing" rather than the pathogen laden scraps that they actually are. Meat that is so contaminated that they have to add ammonia to kill the germs. Yuck!

Then they try to convince us that ammonia is protein. So it is good for us. And it tastes yummy!

What lies!!!

Then they hide behind their practices by saying it is "legal." What a shame on Federal and State Agencies that allow this practice and others like it. These agencies ought to be acting in the interests of consumers instead of allowing McDonalds and other food producers to maximize their profits at the risk of the public health.

McDonalds response disgusts me!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

So first they misrepresent the truth (read: they make a bald-faced lie) by saying they don't add ammonia to their beef.

Then they admit that their suppliers do exactly that! How's that for being scrupulous?

Then they misrepresent the truth by trying to confuse the customer into believing that the chemicals they dump into the food is "natural." What a lie!

Then they again lie and call the contaminated meat fillers that were once used only for dog food "lean meat trimmings" (which make them sound like a "good thing" rather than the pathogen laden scraps that they actually are. Meat that is so contaminated that they have to add ammonia to kill the germs. Yuck!

Then they try to convince us that ammonia is protein. So it is good for us. And it tastes yummy!

What lies!!!

Then they hide behind their practices by saying it is "legal." What a shame on Federal and State Adencies that allow this practice and others like it. These agencies ought to be acting in the interests of consumers instead of allowing McDonalds and other food producers to maximize their profits at the risk of the public health.

Bill

:iagree: Laughable, really, except it's not funny.

I hope you're right that it's about consumer demand, but I don't think you can rule out the nanny state aspect completely. Think about it -- they already offered apples. Now they're just including them by default. ("We can't force you to eat this fruit, but we're going to insist that you buy it as part of the package.") Given what the response here has been like, not to mention what the general public response might be, it seems more like a "solution in search of a problem" -- unless you factor in the legislative demand.

For our part, we just get the two-cheeseburger combo for the kids to split, because I don't want the toys around the house. I almost wish the apple bags were 2x as big, because it's never quite enough. My 3yo will eat an entire large sliced apple by herself. Four measly slices? Gimme a break.

What lies!!!

Then they hide behind their practices by saying it is "legal." What a shame on Federal and State Adencies that allow this practice and others like it. These agencies ought to be acting in the interests of consumers instead of allowing McDonalds and other food producers to maximize their profits at the risk of the public health.

Bill

So when I need some protein after working out, I'll just try some yummy ammonia from the cleaning isle of my local grocery. :tongue_smilie:

So when I need some protein after working out, I'll just try some yummy ammonia from the cleaning isle of my local grocery. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Guess I didn't need to get rid of my ammonia-based window cleaners, either. I mean, my doctor is always telling me to make sure my dd gets enough protein.

I don't like to be forced into healthy. I can make my own choices, thank you.

:iagree:

I loved that McDonald's made apples available. I don't love that they are attempting to force my family to change the way we eat.

That being said, maybe we'll change our occasional McDonald's meal with deep fried Twinkies, topped with whipped cream. ;)

The "forcing" thing is quite a stretch.

A few weeks ago we stopped at Chick-Fil-A on a road trip. It was that or Jack in the Box. While I could murder some of those cheese fries, I'd much rather my kids not. So, I went to order my #whatever with my sandwich, and waffle fries, cole slaw, and drink. They didn't have that configuration anymore. They are now "forcing" me to choose between the fries and the coleslaw. Nanny state, I tell ya.

McDonald's didn't add apples to the kids meals to force anybody to do anything. If you notice many parents preface the "I fed my kids MickeyD's..." with an apology or an excuse. Those apples serve to ease the guilt of parents who feed their children McD's on a regular basis, not to make children healthier.

McDonald's didn't add apples to the kids meals to force anybody to do anything. If you notice many parents preface the "I fed my kids MickeyD's..." with an apology or an excuse. Those apples serve to ease the guilt of parents who feed their children McD's on a regular basis, not to make children healthier.

McDonald's added the apples a long time ago as a choice. Making it the regular part of the meal is indeed an attempt to force people into the apples.

I don't know anyone who apologizes or makes excuses for feeding their kids McDonald's. I know we sure don't at my house. I don't have guilt and I certainly don't need to be made to feel better.

By making the apples part of every Happy Meal McDonald's is caving into the elitists who make rules and laws at every turn to make choices for the general masses. The general consensus among elitists is the general masses are too stupid to know better, so the elitists must "take care of them."

Making apples available is a wonderful choice. Making it part of every meal after only 11% wanted it in the first place is the equivalant of the cowboy prodding the herd of sheeple.

McDonald's added the apples a long time ago as a choice. Making it the regular part of the meal is indeed an attempt to force people into the apples.

I don't know anyone who apologizes or makes excuses for feeding their kids McDonald's. I know we sure don't at my house. I don't have guilt and I certainly don't need to be made to feel better.

By making the apples part of every Happy Meal McDonald's is caving into the elitists who make rules and laws at every turn to make choices for the general masses. The general consensus among elitists is the general masses are too stupid to know better, so the elitists must "take care of them."

Making apples available is a wonderful choice. Making it part of every meal after only 11% wanted it in the first place is the equivalant of the cowboy prodding the herd of sheeple.

Forcing people into eating apples sounds so sinister. :tongue_smilie:

I really believe it's a marketing thing. No elitists were involved with forcing your children to eat apples at McDonald's.

It sounds crazy typing that out.

KFP

I think the portion size has as much to do with the obesity problem than the poor food choice. We do eat at McDs & I worked there while in highschool & college. McDs isn't the healthiest choice, but it isn't the worst choice either. Since I worked at McDs in the '80s portion sizes have grown heaps. On my last trip back 'home' to the States with ds#2 (11yo at the time) we were horrified to find that in LAX you only had the choice of large drinks & fries with your sandwiches :thumbdown: The NZ large soda at McDs is smaller than the American medium! After that trip Ds#2 has stated many times to his friends that why Americans are so fat is because they eat way too much. My parents could not understand why ds#2 was not happy & was turned off by the generous portions served up. A hotdog at Costco or a Dominos pizza was just too much. The only time ds#2 was impressed was when we took him to Pizza Hut & got him a personal pan pizza :lol: Don't get me wrong, ds doesn't obsess about his weight or count calories. All my dc are very active & have healthy appetites. They have just been brought up on healthy choices & reasonable portions & a bit of fast food occasionally :tongue_smilie:

As far as Happy Meals are concerned, I never bought them for my kids. I feel they are a waste of $ & the toys are just clutter. We told our dc that Happy Meals were something they got when they went to McDs with Grandma. Since Grandma lived on the other side of the world... I would get a combo to split (I got the coke, we all shared the fries) & a cheese burger each. We always had water bottles with us for the kids.

JMHO

Edited by Deb in NZ

There's no elitist plot to entice your children to start down a slippery slope ending in white wine and crudités. :tongue_smilie: If you're set on your kids having fries and you deem the quantity offered to be insufficient, then order them more fries. "Forcing" you to explicitly verbalize the wish to do so at the checkout is not the same as taking away your choice.

It soundd like this is the default and you canstill request one or the other. I actually like that idea, though that doesn't seem to be the popular opinion. I'd prefer my kids get apples, but they like the fries. They like apples, too, but don't usually choose them over fries. This way they get to taste both. Heck, I might just start buying myself a kids meal. I usually want a taste of fries, but not a whole order. I'm guessing a lot of apples will get tossed. But I'm sure it'll also get a lot more kids eating apples and thus having some nutrition on McD's night. What they really need to do, if they're serious about revamping their menu, is look at the rest of the menu. Add a big order of apples or carrots. I usually order off the dollar menu and get a large fri for us to share. If they had an adult-sized bag of apples, I'd love to order that instead.

Edited by Scuff

There's no elitist plot to entice your children to start down a slippery slope ending in white wine and crudités. :tongue_smilie:

And what do you have against white wine and crudités? ;) Indy is a big fan of both. Well, not really the wine (he says it tastes weird), but he can put a hurting on some crudités.

You should have seen him downing escargot in Paris last month. If McD's offered an escargot Happy Meal he's ask to eat there every day. He's such an elitist. :lol:

There's no elitist plot to entice your children to start down a slippery slope ending in white wine and crudités. :tongue_smilie: If you're set on your kids having fries and you deem the quantity offered to be insufficient, then order them more fries. "Forcing" you to explicitly verbalize the wish to do so at the checkout is not the same as taking away your choice.

WAIT! This infringes upon my American right to just grunt a number when I order food. Should I really be forced to order exactly what I want in order to GET exactly what I want??? Shouldn't restaurants keep the same menus/policies for all eternity for my convenience??? If I unknowingly receive apples AND fries when I only wanted one or the other, I'm then faced with the IMPOSSIBLE task of going to the register to make an exchange and that's too much walking and communicating for me. So you see, it IS an evil plot to force me to eat apples cause I ain't gettin up to fix it! If I have to use my brain in McDonalds, the terrorists win.

WAIT! This infringes upon my American right to just grunt a number when I order food. Should I really be forced to order exactly what I want in order to GET exactly what I want??? Shouldn't restaurants keep the same menus/policies for all eternity for my convenience??? If I unknowingly receive apples AND fries when I only wanted one or the other, I'm then faced with the IMPOSSIBLE task of going to the register to make an exchange and that's too much walking and communicating for me. So you see, it IS an evil plot to force me to eat apples cause I ain't gettin up to fix it! If I have to use my brain in McDonalds, the terrorists win.

Call Charlie Sheen! KungFuPanda just stole his WINNING. I ♥ you.

If I have to use my brain in McDonalds, the terrorists win.

And I just found a new bumper sticker for my car.

You have my eternal gratitude, madam.

P.S. If I'm too lazy to actually have this made into a bumper sticker, venture out into the heat, and plaster it onto my vehicle, do you have any objections to my using it as a patriotic siggie?

I am tired of hearing how everyone needs someone to look out for their choices. I'm tired of hearing how big, bad McDonald's (or other giant company) is out to ruin your children, your health, your world. If people took responsibility for their own choices, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

But...but then what role would the government play in our lives? I thought that was their job, to think for us!! :D

But...but then what role would the government play in our lives? I thought that was their job, to think for us!! :D

Speak for thyself. I thank Jesus everyday that I have big corporations to do my thinking for me.

Which is why I demand McDonald's immediately change my child's happy meal back to a fruit-free, starch-laden default.

I mean, haven't we Americans clearly demonstrated by our massive BMI index, our soaring diabetes and heart disease incidence rates, and our obese little children, that our food choices are totally and completely unaffected by marketing, convenience, and availability of fast foods?

Seriously. Every time a fast food restaurant changes its menu to something marginally healthier, that's proof an elitist somewhere is getting his wings. Or horns, as it were.

:iagree::lol::iagree::lol:

astrid

I don't have anything very profound to add but I'd rather order my kid something sure not to have e.coli attached to it at McD's like a burger well done and fries than some cut up fruit or vegie that has been sitting in a lukewarm bin for a few hours.

The apples come in sterile plastic packaging. They are only slightly less soulless than the deep-fried french fries (which gives this whole debate about forced "healthy" eating more than a slight sardonic twist).

The fries and burgers (and lettuce, tomato, etc.), call all also transmit E. coli, BTW. All that is required is one employee failing to wash hands after using the restroom, for example, and then touching the food directly, or touching a surface that food comes into contact.

What I find amazing is this all came about because of the internet protests of 'prominent' 'mom-bloggers.' (Yes, I needed those quotation marks!)

In other words, moms complained. On the internet, no less. And now a bunch of other moms are complaining on the internet how outrageous it is that moms on the internet have so much influence.

Folks, we have a much bigger problem than chopped apples.

The apples come in sterile plastic packaging. They are only slightly less soulless than the deep-fried french fries (which gives this whole debate about forced "healthy" eating more than a slight sardonic twist).

The fries and burgers (and lettuce, tomato, etc.), call all also transmit E. coli, BTW. All that is required is one employee failing to wash hands after using the restroom, for example, and then touching the food directly, or touching a surface that food comes into contact.

I know how that all works. I'd still rather have some deep fat fried potatoes and a well done burger that has been precooked and sitting under a hot light than a bagged up half dead luke warm apple. If I'm at McD's (which happens about twice a year for me) I'm not looking for salad-I'm looking for a hot meal fast. Hold the e. coli and slimy fruits/vegies.

Speak for thyself. I thank Jesus everyday that I have big corporations to do my thinking for me.

Which is why I demand McDonald's immediately change my child's happy meal back to a fruit-free, starch-laden default.

I mean, haven't we Americans clearly demonstrated by our massive BMI index, our soaring diabetes and heart disease incidence rates, and our obese little children, that our food choices are totally and completely unaffected by marketing, convenience, and availability of fast foods?

Seriously. Every time a fast food restaurant changes its menu to something marginally healthier, that's proof an elitist somewhere is getting his wings. Or horns, as it were.

:lol:

You can have my fries when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

WAIT! This infringes upon my American right to just grunt a number when I order food. Should I really be forced to order exactly what I want in order to GET exactly what I want??? Shouldn't restaurants keep the same menus/policies for all eternity for my convenience???

:lol: When dh was a youth-leader at his church almost 15 years ago, he couldn't convince his 9 & 10 year olds that he remembered a time before menus came with numbers, and you had to order a sandwich, fries & drink separately (specifying the size of each). :D

I know how that all works. I'd still rather have some deep fat fried potatoes and a well done burger that has been precooked and sitting under a hot light than a bagged up half dead luke warm apple. If I'm at McD's (which happens about twice a year for me) I'm not looking for salad-I'm looking for a hot meal fast. Hold the e. coli and slimy fruits/vegies.

More beef is recalled each year due to ecoli than vegetables or fruit.

So you say, "I'll take a cheeseburger Happy Meal with a double side of fries. No apples, please." How hard is that? I've been doing it for years, "I'll take four cheeseburger Happy Meals, all with apples and white milk."

Um, the apples are kept refrigerated. In sterile packaging.

E. coli (and other pathogens) are much more likely to contaminate and grown on something sitting under a hot light, and which also gets directly touched.

If you prefer french fries, and hamburgers, by all means. Eat them. But the apples come denuded, processed, and put into sterile, plastic packages. The only threat to their artificial preserved-ness is a complete nuclear meltdown.

Or, a GOP-led search and seizure of all fruit-like substances in McDonald's.

Again. The debate about "healthy" apple slices versus french fries.

Very amusing to me.

I don't think you can rule out the nanny state aspect completely.

When there was a thread about the SF ban thing, I made the following comment about the nanny state idea. I repost it here because it still sums up what I think.

I kinda thought that the 'no-government-intervention' folks were mostly against federal government intrusion but believed in strong local governments where the people had more voice, so this whole thing baffles me a little. If the board of supervisors in SF is elected, then they represent the people, and if the people don't like the ban, they can petition the supervisors or vote them out. No harm, no foul.

I find it interesting that a restaurant changing their menu equates, in the minds of some people, to being "forced" to change the way they eat. Can restaurants never change their menus? Really??

Tara

I'm really amazed at the apparent huge rash of armed health food nut elitists roaming the streets carjacking unsuspecting motorists and forcing them at gunpoint to drive to McDonalds, order something they don't want and pay for it.

If a business changes their product to something I no longer desire to purchase, I.....wait for it--I know it's a radical notion.....don't buy it. I go somewhere else. This is not a federally controlled food program that represents a family's only option for sustenance. It's not a "this is what we have to eat or we will starve, how dare anyone mess with our only food source." It's a choice to go to a fast food restaurant.

If you don't like what they offer, don't buy it. Go to a different fast food place--there's no shortage of those around here, at least. Almost all of them appear to offer chicken nuggets, fries and a toy option. Don't go to fast food at all. Complain to the company. Ask for a substitution. Order something else altogether and, if your kid must have the toy, it can usually be purchased separately for a dollar.

Edited by KarenNC