Menu

McD's Forcing "Healthier" Happy Meals?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I want apples, I go to the grocery store or orchard. But I go to McDonald's or a like restaurant if I want a burger and fries.

I'm a very healthy eater, but I don't think fast food once in awhile will hurt you. And I think, as a competent, law-abiding adult, I need to be able to make decisions for myself and my children without anyone else's input, thank you very much!

The answer is simple. Don't order a happy meal. We never get the happy meals. I always get a small cheeseburger, small fries and a diet coke. Isn't that the same thing as a happy meal?

Edited by jannylynn

I ♥ this whole thread. It's freaking hilarious. Apples! D@mn the apples!

I'm curious how it is a "nanny state" for a privately held company (and by this I mean not gov't run, I know it's technically a public share holder company) to decide to change their own menu. Did the gov't order McD's to change their menu? Did I miss where this was passed as a law? Is this why they can't get the whole debt ceiling thing resolved? Have they been to busy worrying about McD's serving only fries in their Happy Meals? If so, I'm going to have to write some strongly worded letters to the peeps in DC.

ETA: Happy Meal Change is trending on Yahoo right now. Awesome!

Edited by Mom in High Heels

I ♥ this whole thread. It's freaking hilarious. Apples! D@mn the apples!

I'm curious how it is a "nanny state" for a privately held company (and by this I mean not gov't run, I know it's technically a public share holder company) to decide to change their own menu. Did the gov't order McD's to change their menu? Did I miss where this was passed as a law? Is this why they can't get the whole debt ceiling thing resolved? Have they been to busy worrying about McD's serving only fries in their Happy Meals? If so, I'm going to have to write some strongly worded letters to the peeps in DC.

LOL :lol:

I need to be able to make decisions for myself and my children without anyone else's input

I still don't get it. HOW is McDonald's changing the composition of their Happy Meal infringing on your ability to make decisions for yourself and your children?? It's straight capitalism ... if you don't like what's on offer' date=' [i']don't buy it![/i] That's the epitome of choice. Is the argument really being made that any change in what a company offers is an infringement or restriction of consumer choice? Simply because you liked how they did things before better? Would everyone be up in arms if they changed Happy Meals to include larger fries instead of apples? Would this be hailed as a victory for parental choice?

Tara

Well my comfort meal when I'm sick is a happy meal. I like the fries. We go there about every six months, unless I'm sick and pout enough for dh. :lol::lol:

So, Ronald, if I want apples, I'll ask for them, thank you.

Ds go when they have decent toys and we keep them for goofing off in the classroom. I think a Davy Jones toy is sitting on one of my file boxes. :D

Yep. I really don't fry food at home - maybe chicken or veal cutlets or eggs once in awhile, but we don't eat fried food on a regular basis. Our frig is filled with fruit and most especially apples. McD's is a once in a blue moon cheap indulgence for us. When we go there we want the fries and chocolate shakes......mmmmmmm....now I'm hungry.

Apples! D@mn the apples!

I always knew fruits would be the downfall of our society. Like that **** tomato-- it's a vegetable, yet --not? It wants to be a FRUIT? Fruits cannot be part of the long standing institution of vegetables. If it wants to be a fruit, it can call itself something else, or move to a state where it is legal for fruits to call themselves whatever the heck they want.

:D

FWIW, I don't eat at McD's, so I don't have a dog in this fight. My only thought was, "Apples at McDonalds? Isn't that like trying to serve caviar at a NASCAR race?"

I always knew fruits would be the downfall of our society. Like that **** tomato-- it's a vegetable, yet --not? It wants to be a FRUIT? Fruits cannot be part of the long standing institution of vegetables. If it wants to be a fruit, it can call itself something else, or move to a state where it is legal for fruits to call themselves whatever the heck they want.

:D

FWIW, I don't eat at McD's, so I don't have a dog in this fight. My only thought was, "Apples at McDonalds? Isn't that like trying to serve caviar at a NASCAR race?"

You only get the good stuff in the suites at the NASCAR race. ;) We were in one a couple of times, one time they had shrimp scampi that was so wonderful.

Well it would be apple. If you're (rhetorical you) a christian you know the downfall all started with the apple long ago. :lol:

If this Yahoo article is to be believed, McDonald's was responding to a demographic of the consumers that they consider influential: moms!

So McDonald's really can't win: in responding to one set of moms, they are pissing off another set. Not that I really care, as I don't eat at McDonald's. It's the sociological aspect that interests me.

Tara

I'm not looking for healthy meals when I get fast food. I was annoyed when McDonald's changed their fry recipe; I eat McDonald's fries probably once a month at most, and when I do, I am fully aware that they are not the healthiest option. I'm eating them because they taste good, and if they don't taste as good--and I don't think the new ones do--then I'm disappointed.

Same with the kids. We get them Happy Meals about once a month. We do not get them because they are healthy; they're a treat. I don't really care if they put in apples and smaller fries, because both of my kids like apples and don't eat all their fries anyway, but I don't think it's really necessary, either.

On another board I frequent there is a similar discussion going on. What I find really amusing though is that, if all the posters are to be believed, nobody ever actually eats at McD's. How do they make so much money??? FTR, we DO eat there about 2-3 times a month. I like McD's in Germany, because, being a nanny state and all, they (the gov't) have really high standards for food services and the food at McD's actually tastes good. In the States, I'd rather go to Wendy's. OMG, I could so eat some Wendy's fries with a Frosty right now! I haven't had Wendy's in over 2 years! Their mandarin chicken salad is my FAVORITE (with fries and a Frosty of course).

I just brought my kids to McDonald's for some happy meals! They had a great day doing their school work and I thought I'd treat them. They asked me if I wanted fries or apple dippers. I got fries for my oldest who is autistic and wants NOTHING to do with any fruit whatsoever, and apples for my younger two. I was given the choice which is nice. I wouldn't like to find apples in my oldest son's bag though. He'd have a fit. I can make the choice thank you.

The only threat to their artificial preserved-ness is a complete nuclear meltdown.

Or, a GOP-led search and seizure of all fruit-like substances in McDonald's.

Again. The debate about "healthy" apple slices versus french fries.

Very amusing to me.

And me as well.

This whole thread has me shaking my head and laughing my hiney off.

REALLY? You're ticked off that HALF of your kid's fried, starchy, J.R. Simplott potatoes are replaced with plastic, cellophane-wrapped, processed "apple" slices?

I find that very amusing.

astrid

I don't think it's a bad idea. You can request just apples or just fries if you want.

I haven't read past page one yet, but I agree with this. I don't understand the controversy.

Anyone can still walk into McDonalds and order a hamburger and french fries, right?

That the company is choosing to add apples to one 'meal' doesn't mean anyone is prohibited from making other choices.

I really urge all the laughers to read Nudge. Cass has some really interesting ideas regarding how to change your behavior to suit him.

BTW, the definition of nudge is a gentle push. Cass would love to gently push everyone to make the choices he finds appropriate, and have you think it was all your own idea. Seriously, read the book.

And, we eat mostly organic-organic meat, organic milk, organic fruit, organic veges, organic eggs... When I go to McDonald's, it's for their tasty, ammonia-drenched, e-coli infested, burgers and artery clogging fries, along with a bottle of contaminated tap water. Doesn't bother me, as we eat so pristinely the rest of the time. Still healthy as horse.

I really urge all the laughers to read Nudge. Cass has some really interesting ideas regarding how to change your behavior to suit him.

BTW, the definition of nudge is a gentle push. Cass would love to gently push everyone to make the choices he finds appropriate, and have you think it was all your own idea. Seriously, read the book.

And, we eat mostly organic-organic meat, organic milk, organic fruit, organic veges, organic eggs... When I go to McDonald's, it's for their tasty, ammonia-drenched, e-coli infested, burgers and artery clogging fries, along with a bottle of contaminated tap water. Doesn't bother me, as we eat so pristinely the rest of the time. Still healthy as horse.

So you are no longer denying that McDonalds treats its meat with ammonia?

I would like to be perfectly clear on this point.

You first said it was "absurd" and then asked for "proof." So is it safe to presume that you now admit McDonalds treats its beef with ammonia?

Bill

I am trying so hard to think about how that book and what you say its thesis is fits in to this discussion. Are you on board with his nudging everyone or are you against it? Are you saying he wants us to like the ammonia in our meat? That we'll eventually just get used to it?

Well, I thought this was absurd when I first heard about it, but after reading this thread I'm thinking perhaps not. If it tastes good and is cheap enough, Americans will eat just about anything...:001_huh:

Well, I thought this was absurd when I first heard about it, but after reading this thread I'm thinking perhaps not. If it tastes good and is cheap enough, Americans will eat just about anything...:001_huh:

I think you could even take out the "if it tastes good" part... and say Americans will eat anything if it's cheap enough. Funny how we have the cheapest food and one of the highest costs of health care, no?

I think you could even take out the "if it tastes good" part... and say Americans will eat anything if it's cheap enough. Funny how we have the cheapest food and one of the highest costs of health care, no?

What's "funny" is how we tend to discount the extent to which that these things are interrelated.

Bill

I still don't get it. HOW is McDonald's changing the composition of their Happy Meal infringing on your ability to make decisions for yourself and your children?? It's straight capitalism ... if you don't like what's on offer, don't buy it! That's the epitome of choice. Is the argument really being made that any change in what a company offers is an infringement or restriction of consumer choice? Simply because you liked how they did things before better? Would everyone be up in arms if they changed Happy Meals to include larger fries instead of apples? Would this be hailed as a victory for parental choice?

Tara

You're right Tara. I guess that's why I never went to McD's; I don't like their food. But I did enjoy a Burger King Whopper every now and then, back when I could eat gluten. Thanks for pointing that out. We do have a choice, and we should vote with our dollars or lack thereof.

And I also liked Imp's response. I should respond to these types of things like you, Imp. There are too many other things in the world worth getting my panties in a wad; this isn't one of them.:D

On another board I frequent there is a similar discussion going on. What I find really amusing though is that, if all the posters are to be believed, nobody ever actually eats at McD's. How do they make so much money???

Nobody feeds their kids fast food, and nobody lets their kids watch TV. Didn't you know?

We eat fast food about twice a month. Usually one time it's McDonald's, and the other time it's Taco Bell.

We rarely eat at McD's, but when I do I love french fries. I should be asked what I want in any meal I pay for. I am paying, I make the choice!

I haven't noticed McD being particularly covert about what's in a Happy Meal. It's always been posted, usually with pictures (no reading required:001_smile:) on the sign pretty prominently. This really isn't a sneak attack of some kind (now I have visions of McD employees looking like MacBeth's witches cackling and rubbing their hands with glee over having secretly inflicted apples on unsuspecting customers;)). If they've changed their default to include apples and you don't want them, then absolutely you have every right to ask that apples not be included. They also have the right to say no substitutions allowed, but I doubt they'd do that. Then you make the choice to buy what they offer or not to buy it. Pretty simple, really.

So you are no longer denying that McDonalds treats its meat with ammonia?

I would like to be perfectly clear on this point.

You first said it was "absurd" and then asked for "proof." So is it safe to presume that you now admit McDonalds treats its beef with ammonia?

Bill

Oh, Bill. I admit nothing of the sort. Isn't there a tongue-in-cheek smilie around here somewhere? What I am admitting is that I don't care. I (occasionally) go there for junk, and junk is exactly what I get.

I am trying so hard to think about how that book and what you say its thesis is fits in to this discussion. Are you on board with his nudging everyone or are you against it? Are you saying he wants us to like the ammonia in our meat? That we'll eventually just get used to it?

What I'm saying is that Cass is part of a movement to alter people's choices (such as McDonald's attempting to make it look like they are responding to consumer demand for "healthier" food). You think it's your choice, right? Apple or fries, both or none. But, in a little while, your choices will be altered again. And again. And again. Just tweaked a little at a time until we arrive at the ultimate destination. Cass' choice for you. And you thought the entire time that you were choosing when actually your choices were preselected for you (eliminating all the "bad" choices so you only have what they determine to be "good" choices to pick from).

ETA: Don't think of the choices right in front of your face, think of the framework of choice and how they are being selected for you.

Edited by cdrumm4448

I haven't noticed McD being particularly covert about what's in a Happy Meal. It's always been posted, usually with pictures (no reading required:001_smile:) on the sign pretty prominently. This really isn't a sneak attack of some kind (now I have visions of McD employees looking like MacBeth's witches cackling and rubbing their hands with glee over having secretly inflicted apples on unsuspecting customers;)). If they've changed their default to include apples and you don't want them, then absolutely you have every right to ask that apples not be included. They also have the right to say no substitutions allowed, but I doubt they'd do that. Then you make the choice to buy what they offer or not to buy it. Pretty simple, really.

I had no idea that they were sneaking apples into Happy Meals until today! I am just saying that I should get a say without being told what's in my meal for me or my kids. As I said, I don't go to McD's often, but when I do I want fries. I love them. I eat apples at home.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Nobody feeds their kids fast food, and nobody lets their kids watch TV. Didn't you know?

We eat fast food about twice a month. Usually one time it's McDonald's, and the other time it's Taco Bell.

Well, we really and truly don't feed our kids fast food because of allergies and celiac disease. "Here, kids! All kids love fast food! Hope you don't die!" Not a chance. McDonalds has nothing on the menu that we can eat.

But I do think two things about this issue:

1. McDonalds is of the devil. Defending McDonalds? Please. Go watch Fast Food Nation.

2. Nobody ever makes me go to McDonalds, but if I do go, I'm not entitled to fries with that.

I know for sure that I don't have to go to McDonalds and eat fries or apples because I haven't stepped foot inside a McDonalds for 6 years. Nobody has ever come to my door to ask me why my kids aren't eating apples at McDonalds. As far as I can tell, nobody knows or cares that we never, ever, ever eat at McDonalds. Therefore, this decision to make somebody state their preference at a fast food counter (fries? apples? neither? both?) doesn't make me fear for our nation's future.

The new child's french fry portion will be 1.1 ounces, down from 2.4 ounces previously, and equal to about 100 calories. McDonald's currently offers apple slices with caramel dipping sauce as a Happy Meal side. The new apple portion size is 1.2 ounces, compared with 3.1 ounces previously, and has no added sugar or accompanying dipping sauces. The new Happy Meals will have about 20 percent fewer calories than today's most popular Happy Meal, executives said. As a result, the new Happy Meals will be under 600 calories.

Prices will not change as a result of the new composition, and toys will continue to be included in every Happy Meal, said Jan Field, McDonald's U.S.A. president.

So, in one fell swoop, McDonald's got themselves good publicity, positive commentary from their sharpest critics (ie. CSPI) and did it in a way they get to shave their costs to increase profits (eliminate cost of caramel dip, downsize both fries and apples so combined it's less than either was before, smaller fry bag costs less, and less ketchup to hand out too). Pretty darn good strategy if you ask me!

Well, we really and truly don't feed our kids fast food because of allergies and celiac disease. "Here, kids! All kids love fast food! Hope you don't die!" Not a chance. McDonalds has nothing on the menu that we can eat.

But I do think two things about this issue:

1. McDonalds is of the devil. Defending McDonalds? Please. Go watch Fast Food Nation.

2. Nobody ever makes me go to McDonalds, but if I do go, I'm not entitled to fries with that.

I know for sure that I don't have to go to McDonalds and eat fries or apples because I haven't stepped foot inside a McDonalds for 6 years. Nobody has ever come to my door to ask me why my kids aren't eating apples at McDonalds. As far as I can tell, nobody knows or cares that we never, ever, ever eat at McDonalds. Therefore, this decision to make somebody state their preference at a fast food counter (fries? apples? neither? both?) doesn't make me fear for our nation's future.

We don't eat fast food for the same reason - allergies.

Even if they weren't an issue, DS hates potatoes, so he wouldn't eat fries even if I wanted him to (which I don't), he doesn't like burgers much and the chicken nuggets, he won't touch those either, thinks they smell weird (good thing too since he can't have 'em anyway).....but, we have done the drive-thru for the apples and a "happy meal toy" since he doesn't like the food, but does want the toys now and then and you have to buy something to buy the toy!

I had no idea that they were sneaking apples into Happy Meals until today! I am just saying that I should get a say without being told what's in my meal for me or my kids. As I said, I don't go to McD's often, but when I do I want fries. I love them. I eat apples at home.

No one is sneaking anything into anything, which is exactly my point. They haven't started the switch to a combo apple/fries yet--begins in September per the article. This is advance publicity (it was also in our local paper today). Currently you can request either apples or fries. Then, apparently, you may have the option of a combo of fries and apples and likely can request not to have one or the other, as far as I can tell. Who knows, perhaps they will offer an option of all fries, all apples or the combo, like they currently offer a variety of drinks.

There are no tractor beams forcing your car to pull into a McD. No one will throw themselves in front of your car and try to stuff apples down your kids' throats while pulling money out of your wallet as you try to drive away if you order fries. You absolutely have a say---by choosing to drive up to a particular store, by reading the menu and then choosing what to purchase or not purchase, and even by driving away if there's nothing there you want. Same as it ever was. That's the way retail works. This really isn't a grand secret conspiracy to deprive people of french fries--it's a marketing decision. It will stay or change based on what people purchase because it is about the bottom line, not altruism. McD obviously thinks this will sell more Happy Meals and give them a greater market share.

...but, we have done the drive-thru for the apples and a "happy meal toy" since he doesn't like the food, but does want the toys now and then and you have to buy something to buy the toy!

Really? That hasn't always bee the case. I have walked into a McD and purchased only the toy on one or two occasions when it was something particular my daughter wanted and I wanted to surprise her (I think it was one of the Madame Alexander doll promotions that time---it's been a few years).

Really? That hasn't always bee the case. I have walked into a McD and purchased only the toy on one or two occasions when it was something particular my daughter wanted and I wanted to surprise her (I think it was one of the Madame Alexander doll promotions that time---it's been a few years).

Maybe it depends on location? The one I've gone to has said I need to buy something to buy a toy - DS will eat the apples (sans dip, he doesn't like that either), so I get the apples or a milk (if he wants that instead). We haven't done that in a while though, I think he's outgrowing the toys they offer?

No allergies here; I just can't get past the thought of pink slime nuggets and ammonia beef. To me it's right up there with the poo-burgers I linked to earlier. That's not to say we don't ever treat, we just don't treat with McD's and their ilk.

We DO watch TV, though not frequently. :D

What I'm saying is that Cass is part of a movement to alter people's choices (such as McDonald's attempting to make it look like they are responding to consumer demand for "healthier" food). You think it's your choice, right? Apple or fries, both or none. But, in a little while, your choices will be altered again. And again. And again. Just tweaked a little at a time until we arrive at the ultimate destination. Cass' choice for you. And you thought the entire time that you were choosing when actually your choices were preselected for you (eliminating all the "bad" choices so you only have what they determine to be "good" choices to pick from).

ETA: Don't think of the choices right in front of your face, think of the framework of choice and how they are being selected for you.

Yes, absolutely. It's like this:

I walk into McDonald's, and everything looks normal. Twelve adult value menus dominate the main menu screens, all showcasing juicy, hot fried burgers or chicken nuggets. The pictures of the french fries are nothing to the smells as I breathe in the rich aromas of frying vegetable oil and saturated food items.

But, what's this? Something's not right. I feel a vague sense of unease. I search my surroundings, trying to figure out what is different. I see people laughing and eating burgers. I see children eating soft-serve ice cream. I see...what????

Is that...what I think it is??? Oh...oh no. My mind is stuttering. I feel a continental shift underneath my feet. It can't be...not here, in America.

Because, I've just seen a child pull out a suspicious plastic package with something inside of it. I maneuver closer, always keeping my eye on the nearby exit. I have a ready means of escape should my anti-elitist, anti-government instincts prove correct.

The child appears calm, unaware of the political dangers that lurk inside that innocuous package filled with Satan's candy.

That's right. I said it. I know the work of the devil when I see it. And it looks like little apple slices, ruthlessly picked and peeled by communist immigrants from Mexico, preserved unnaturally by liberals in an Oregon plant, and marketed by Michelle Obama's henchmen for her nazi-flavoured Healthy Youth program.

My eyes flash back to the menu, and now I know why my heart is pounding, and my hands are shaking, and it has nothing to do with McDonald's Gauvino Gormet Coffee (although, the coffee should have given me warning, I mean, come on--it's a left-leaning Starbucks invasion of good ol' blue collar America).

For, up on the menu board, deceptively covered as it is 90% over by godly, conservative burgers, fries, sodas, milk shakes, nuggets, cookies, and ice cream is the cause of my radical paradigm shift: apple slices as an option for Happy Meals.

I take a breath and I walk out (with my 40 oz Coke in my environmentalist-proof styrofoam cup) and I raise my voice in the parking lot to any and all in warning.

Because NO ONE EXPECTS THE NUTRITION INQUISITION!!!

I don't think this person or book has anything to do with a marketing strategy by McDonald's. To me McDonald's may be "nudging", but they aren't nudging the ones that eat poorly (and I don't mean occasional customers, I'm talking folks that go twice a week or more). They already have that market. I think they are trying to convince the rest of us that they aren't complete crap.

Isn't that what successful marketing is? A nudge?

I walk into McDonald's, and everything looks normal. Twelve adult value menus dominate the main menu screens, all showcasing juicy, hot fried burgers or chicken nuggets. The pictures of the french fries are nothing to the smells as I breathe in the rich aromas of frying vegetable oil and saturated food items.

But, what's this? Something's not right. I feel a vague sense of unease. I search my surroundings, trying to figure out what is different. I see people laughing and eating burgers. I see children eating soft-serve ice cream. I see...what????

Is that...what I think it is??? Oh...oh no. My mind is stuttering. I feel a continental shift underneath my feet. It can't be...not here, in America.

Because, I've just seen a child pull out a suspicious plastic package with something inside of it. I maneuver closer, always keeping my eye on the nearby exit. I have a ready means of escape should my anti-elitist, anti-government instincts prove correct.

The child appears calm, unaware of the political dangers that lurk inside that innocuous package filled with Satan's candy.

That's right. I said it. I know the work of the devil when I see it. And it looks like little apple slices, ruthlessly picked and peeled by communist immigrants from Mexico, preserved unnaturally by liberals in an Oregon plant, and marketed by Michelle Obama's henchmen for her nazi-flavoured Healthy Youth program.

My eyes flash back to the menu, and now I know why my heart is pounding, and my hands are shaking, and it has nothing to do with McDonald's Gauvino Gormet Coffee (although, the coffee should have given me warning, I mean, come on--it's a left-leaning Starbucks invasion of good ol' blue collar America).

For, up on the menu board, deceptively covered as it is 90% over by godly, conservative burgers, fries, sodas, milk shakes, nuggets, cookies, and ice cream is the cause of my radical paradigm shift: apple slices as an option for Happy Meals.

I take a breath and I walk out (with my 40 oz Coke in my environmentalist-proof styrofoam cup) and I raise my voice in the parking lot to any and all in warning.

:lol:

You should write books. That was totally great.

Oh my gosh. :smilielol5:

Guest Dulcimeramy

spanish_inquisition.jpg

I wish I had time to photoshop a Happy Meal in his hands! :lol:

:lol: LOL!

I'm not looking for healthy meals when I get fast food. I was annoyed when McDonald's changed their fry recipe; I eat McDonald's fries probably once a month at most, and when I do, I am fully aware that they are not the healthiest option. I'm eating them because they taste good, and if they don't taste as good--and I don't think the new ones do--then I'm disappointed.

Same with the kids. We get them Happy Meals about once a month. We do not get them because they are healthy; they're a treat. I don't really care if they put in apples and smaller fries, because both of my kids like apples and don't eat all their fries anyway, but I don't think it's really necessary, either.

I used to love McD's french fries, but they are as disgusting as the rest of the menu since they changed the recipe (or did they change the type of fat they cook them in?). And yes, I know the FF aren't healthy either way, but it's not as though I was ever on a steady diet of them. :tongue_smilie: