Menu

Best way to really clean a shower?

I am the first to admit that I am not a spotless housekeeper. But I would like to be, and am taking steps in the last few weeks to get there. I read FlyLady's book (the website is too disjointed to get all the info there), and am clearing out the clutter like nobody's business.

My next target area are the showers in my house, particularly the one that is shared by my four boys. Honestly, it is NASTY and I would like to get it to the state that I wouldn't be completely mortified if used by an overnight guest.

I would love some suggestions for some really hard-core cleaning products or methods you would use to get rid of the nastiness (other than new tile and grout!). We live in an area with hard water, if that makes a difference to your suggestions.

Thanks!

I would love some suggestions for some really hard-core cleaning products or methods you would use to get rid of the nastiness (other than new tile and grout!). We live in an area with hard water, if that makes a difference to your suggestions.

Thanks!

My favorites are CLR and Bar Keeper's Friend. Spray the CLR on liberally, wait 10 or 15 minutes, then scrub. Have a lot of scrubby sponges ready, because they get gunked up quickly. Repeat. The longer you wait, the easier it comes off.

bk.jpg

For tough showers, I use comet and a nylon scrub brush. For glass shower doors, I spray vinegar on, wipe with a Magic Eraser then with a paper towel. They come out crystal clear.

If you have a tile shower and porcelain tub that is in dire straits, I highly recommend Zap! It's a restoration product that works incredibly well.

I clean 8 showers a week. They are, by far, the thing I dread most in every house I clean. But once you get it back to good, they're pretty easy.

HTH

Ugh.:glare:

I've been out of commission for several weeks. Mine are ick and we're expecting company next month.

I guess I'll go do it now. Thanks for the motivation.... I guess. Magic Erasers work well on the plastic type....

Edited by BlsdMama

Thanks!

We have a large shower area in our master bath with tiles and glass blocks so it's a big cleaning job. My dh found "SonicScrubbers" at the hardware store and these work great on the grout. It's like a giant electric toothbrush with brush attachments in different sizes. He cleans a section of the shower on Saturday mornings...maybe your sons could take on this job, too. :001_smile:

This is an AMAZING product:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C26QQQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LNQ83O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CT0BY0YQ75P4NEFFQFC

When we moved from our old house, the shower had super bad soap build-up and other stuff. This worked great. You sort of spray it on and when it dries, you polish it off. It is a lot of work the first time, however it seems to seal the tile (sort of like waxing the car) and future cleanings are much easier.

The other thing to do to keep the shower cleaner is to use a better soap.

I will only allow Dove or Caress soap in the shower. The rest leave soap scum on the tiles and door. Sometimes DH will switch and get a "manly deodorant" soap. I give him the polish, he cleans the shower and buys Dove ASAP. I can go three weeks and still have no soap build-up when we use Dove, I can't go 1 week with other soaps!

By the way I find Gel Gloss at Home Depot.

Lara

• 9 months later...
I am the first to admit that I am not a spotless housekeeper. But I would like to be, and am taking steps in the last few weeks to get there. I read FlyLady's book (the website is too disjointed to get all the info there), and am clearing out the clutter like nobody's business.

My next target area are the showers in my house, particularly the one that is shared by my four boys. Honestly, it is NASTY and I would like to get it to the state that I wouldn't be completely mortified if used by an overnight guest.

Thanks!

To reclaim our shower I was actually really impressed with the scrubbing bubbles product. I let it sit for hours, reapplied twice before using a scrubbie sponge on it and it was almost effortless.

I just went camping with someone that told me about chem free method. Heat one cup white vinegar until hot. Add 1 cup blue Dawn. Shake in spray bottle. Spray on soap scum. Wait 30 minutes and scrub. Here is some more info:

http://moneysavingmommies.blogspot.com/2010/08/shower-tub-cleaner.html

I love Mr. Clean Magic Erase for the glass doors. Takes the scum right off with little effort.

Use bleach mixed with water for mold, (5:1 ratio).

Good luck!

I have a bad back and my shower got a bit grimy last month. We have hard water so when that and soap scum blend together, it makes a coating that is much like cement.

I used Scrubbing Bubbles--no effect. I don't think it works on the hard water issue.

I used Comet--helped but was a lot of work, for little benefit.

I used the hot vinegar/Dawn mix-it did nothing.

I used Bar Keeper Friend--same as the Comet....lot of work, little benefit.

I used Cascade dishwasher detergent-nothing

I used CLR Bathroom Daily cleaner--it finally worked (after everything else slowly chiped away at the mess) but I had to use it several times. I used a kitchen sponge with the green scrubbie side.

I think next time, I will just skip to the regular CLR. I do think that the problem was the mineral deposits and until I got that to break down, I wasn't getting anywhere.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Prespray with Kaboom foam spray with Oxyclean. After that take a scrub sponge and Dawn dish detergent. Soap is nothing but grease, and Dawn cuts that .

I totally agree with the Magic Erasures if you have shower doors. Work like a charm.

How is that post spam:confused:

I have 2 showers that are used here, and I always scrub them while taking a shower. I like bar keepers friend, because it doesn't make me want to gag. I spray the shower all over, then sprinkle and scrub.

The one thing though that really helps, is a detachable shower head. You can scrub all over then spray it off.

How is that post spam:confused:

The original post 16 *was* spam. It was reported then deleted and the rest of the posts were moved up so a non-spam post then became post 16. I'll go back and edit my post.

BTW the original post is from 10 months ago. The spammer bumped it to the front page.

The original post 16 *was* spam. It was reported then deleted and the rest of the posts were moved up so a non-spam post then became post 16. I'll go back and edit my post.

BTW the original post is from 10 months ago. The spammer bumped it to the front page.

Oh LOL! I'm slow:lol: