Menu

Vocab test

I am a sight reader and a terrible speller, so I did not do as well as I would have hoped. :001_unsure: It even seamed like they made up some words to test your honesty. I haven't been reading new books lately. Just re-reading books I have. I need to start stretching my self. Was anyone else reminded of pirates and Shakespeare by the words?

Interesting. There were several that when I read them in a book, they make sense, but I could not actually assign a definition to. Thus a score of 28,700.

Does purloin mean to steal or something like that? :D

Well you're still cleverer than I am! I only got 22,800. I never did have a great active vocabulary and since having kids, it only got worse!

And yes it does. :) I know that one. :D

Rosie

I am a sight reader and a terrible speller, so I did not do as well as I would have hoped. :001_unsure: It even seamed like they made up some words to test your honesty. I haven't been reading new books lately. Just re-reading books I have. I need to start stretching my self. Was anyone else reminded of pirates and Shakespeare by the words?

Mostly of P&P. Which is great b/c then I just want to watch A&E's version and sigh. :D

I think the second page changes depending on what you know on the first page. I went back to look at the 2nd page without clicking on any of the words on the first page and it was completely different and much easier.

Ah, well here was the last column on my test:

malapropism

tricorn

tenebrous

braggadocio

bruit

embonpoint

pabulum

pother

valetudinarian

cenacle

vibrissae

cantle

estivation

regnant

terpsichorean

clerisy

deracinate

fuliginous

oneiromancy

tatterdemalion

williwaw

caitiff

funambulist

hypnopompic

opsimath

pule

uxoricide

The only one I'm sure I've seen in print was "regnant." :001_huh: But despite my lousy score, I don't feel bad about not knowing these ones, Or should I? Do people really use words like "williwaw?" :001_huh: It's a silly sounding word. :lol: I shall go and learn it right now. *Opens dictionary.com*

Rosie

malapropism

tricorn

tenebrous

braggadocio

bruit

embonpoint

pabulum

pother

valetudinarian

cenacle

vibrissae

cantle

estivation

regnant

terpsichorean

clerisy

deracinate

fuliginous

oneiromancy

tatterdemalion

williwaw

caitiff

funambulist

hypnopompic

opsimath

pule

uxoricide

The only one I'm sure I've seen in print was "regnant." :001_huh: But despite my lousy score, I don't feel bad about not knowing these ones, Or should I? Do people really use words like "williwaw?" :001_huh: It's a silly sounding word. :lol: I shall go and learn it right now. *Opens dictionary.com*

Rosie

I did not get any of those. I only recognized two of them.

malapropism

tricorn

tenebrous

braggadocio

bruit

embonpoint

pabulum

pother

valetudinarian

cenacle

vibrissae

cantle

estivation

regnant

terpsichorean

clerisy

deracinate

fuliginous

oneiromancy

tatterdemalion

williwaw

caitiff

funambulist

hypnopompic

opsimath

pule

uxoricide

Rosie

I had the same list. I scored 35,500 vocabulary words. But, I studied Latin, French and Spanish, so I think that helps.

What I'd like to know is how the average self reported SAT score can be so high, yet the average vocab size so low? Can you really get a 700 SAT score with only 24,000 words?

Well isn't there a bit of luck involved with the SAT? If you are being honest with this test then you are not checking words you cannot think of a definition for. With the SAT, if I didn't know the word, I still guessed. I had a 25% chance of getting it right. :D

So you guys with bigger vocabs, do you look up words you don't know? I occasionally run across words I don't know, but I can figure out their meaning in context. But I don't actually look the word up. So if I ran across the word in a list like this, I might recognize it, but would not be able to come up with a definition.

So I'm just wondering if I could improve my vocab by looking up the words I read, or if I need to wait until DS studies Latin (so I can study it too?)

malapropism

tricorn

tenebrous

braggadocio

bruit

embonpoint

pabulum

pother

valetudinarian

cenacle

vibrissae

cantle

estivation

regnant

terpsichorean

clerisy

deracinate

fuliginous

oneiromancy

tatterdemalion

williwaw

caitiff

funambulist

hypnopompic

opsimath

pule

uxoricide

Interesting. I had about half those on my last column, a few in previous 2 columns, and the rest on my list were completely different (most of which I'd never even seen before, much less formed even an inkling of a definition).

Cat

So you guys with bigger vocabs, do you look up words you don't know?

I often mark my books with a blank cardstock bookmark, and write words I don't know on the bookmark. I look them up later and write the definition on the bookmark.

ETA: I also took a word roots linguistics class in college and loved it. It definitely helped with my general vocabulary.

Cat

So you guys with bigger vocabs, do you look up words you don't know? I occasionally run across words I don't know, but I can figure out their meaning in context. But I don't actually look the word up. So if I ran across the word in a list like this, I might recognize it, but would not be able to come up with a definition.

So I'm just wondering if I could improve my vocab by looking up the words I read, or if I need to wait until DS studies Latin (so I can study it too?)

dictionary.com baby! :D

[of course this means I consider my vocab larger.] I guess that is a bit pretentious.

:tongue_smilie:

Oh and accidentally hit enter.

I often mark my books with a blank cardstock bookmark, and write words I don't know on the bookmark. I look them up later and write the definition on the bookmark.

ETA: I also took a word roots linguistics class in college and loved it. It definitely helped with my general vocabulary.

Cat

When I was reading Abolition of Man I kept the computer handy to look up, oh every.other.word/phrase. :D After I had read 3/4 of the book, I realized that I was using the same site over and over again. Someone had gone through the book and defined and translated all of the difficult words and phrases. I finally printed it out. :tongue_smilie:

When I was reading Abolition of Man I kept the computer handy to look up, oh every.other.word/phrase. :D After I had read 3/4 of the book, I realized that I was using the same site over and over again. Someone had gone through the book and defined and translated all of the difficult words and phrases. I finally printed it out. :tongue_smilie:

That is one of my favorite books!

I'm not saying. It's my mother's fault.

Some moms read fairy tales to their kids; mine..dictionaries with root suffix & origins. Blah.

Your mum is cool. :lol:

I used to keep a dictionary and notebook on my bedside table to note down words. Then I had children and lost not only the ability to remember definitions in isolation like that, but also my notebook and dictionary. :glare:

Rosie

My entire family are word monsters. You should see the annual Christmas scrabble game played. It is scary-mary.

We play with five bags of tiles...lol.

:001_huh:

Dh and I played Scrabble last night for the first time in forever. 99% of the time he beats me, but I don't even get any pleasure from beating him. It's like a lose-lose situation for me. That must be why we haven't played in so long. :lol: Anyway, now I need a vocabulary books for four and five letter words.

My idea of frightening would be a Polish scrabble game. 3 different types of z? :svengo:

Rosie

malapropism

tricorn

tenebrous

braggadocio

bruit

embonpoint

pabulum

pother

valetudinarian

cenacle

vibrissae

cantle

estivation

regnant

terpsichorean

clerisy

deracinate

fuliginous

oneiromancy

tatterdemalion

williwaw

caitiff

funambulist

hypnopompic

opsimath

pule

uxoricide

This list is very close to the one I got, but a few at the end were different for me. From this list I knew malapropism, tricorn, and braggadocio. I got a total score of 25,400 which supposedly puts me in the 35th percentile. I seriously doubt that's accurate.

Oh wait, I know terpsichorean too, but I don't think that was on my list.

Edited: I went back and read more closely and added a few that I did know, and upped my score to 27,600.

Edited by AndyJoy

What I'd like to know is how the average self reported SAT score can be so high, yet the average vocab size so low? Can you really get a 700 SAT score with only 24,000 words?

I scored 21,700 and got a 710 on the verbal SAT. Maybe I've gotten a lot dumber since then? I only checked words I was really sure of the definition. I'd like to see how I could come out in a test where you have to actually pick the definition and not just say if you think you know it.

My husband says every time I watch TLC I kill brain cells. Maybe he is right?!?