Menu

What's your favorite curriculum?

Michele R.

If you could name your very favorite curricula, what would they be? Say, your top three to five choices? After eight years of homeschooling, we need to change some things that definitely are not working for us (though, thankfully, some things are working well). One of my three has Asperger's, so if you have any special needs children, if you could, note that as well (I'll post another version of this on the special needs board tomorrow). I'm new to this site, but I've already gotten some great info! I can't keep track of it all, however, so I thought by getting some of you to post your favs, it'll help me start being able to look for new material out there. Maybe this will help some others who are startin' to feel a little frazzled around the fringes like I am! Thanks!

-Michele R. in TN

I have a son with ADD and SPD. He's 7 almost 8... Our days can be challenging to say the least! Most days are a challenge and every once in a while our days are great. The better days are when we do hands on activities instead of workbook style school work. My ds also likes learning on the computer... so we have done a little Time 4 Learning here and there.

My son likes Math U See. The lessons are short and the pages that go with them are short compared to Horizon, or Abeka worksheets.

I am trying out Winter Promise in a few weeks. I googled ADD and Homeschool curricula and this was recommended on one site. (I cant remember which one it was.) It is alot like Sonlight (literature based) but it incorporates alot of hands on activities, and dvd's into each week.

Spelling I havent found anything that really works for him. I'm thinking about having him spell out the words in the sand outside this summer lol. Or maybe write them on a dry erase board.... something... anything other than a piece of boring paper.

Science I love Apologia. It has a lot of fun activities and I love how it dives deep into a topic. My son loves science and this is working beautifully for us.

History besides WP we use SOTW cd's, my son listens to them while in the car... taking a bath, laying down before bed etc. I like these too, they make history easy to remember.

Language and Grammar... I havent found something I LOVE. We use Abeka currently. I tried AO lifepacks and hated them. So I went back to Abeka. I'd love to try Rod and staff Grammar, and IEW for writing.

Those are a few of the things we like.

I like Horizon Math. Dd needs the review and likes the (minimal) color.

I loved the Apologia Astronomy course. Easy to use and very hands on.

The My Body book from Teacher Created Resources. Easy to use and fun for a wide range of ages.

Heart of Dakota is turning out to one on my list. It has a gentle rhythm but it has a host of great poetry and copy work ideas.

Dd loved Prima Latina. The DVD's were a hit here for both of us.

Will I sound like a curriculum junkie if I say SL and WP and MFW? I can't seem to stick to one lit based history curriculum between those three. SL is especially close to my heart though, I can't tell you how much I love reading those books to my kids.

Explode the Code isn't exciting but it has been all my younger kids have needed to become fluent readers, it does a good job.

Miquon math is fun, fun, fun. It changed me from a math hater.

I posted on the other thread, as well. My ds9 is undiagnosed but we are certain that he deals with Asperger's as well.

Our favorites are

*Mystery of History (added Winter Promise's schedule guide to it recently and LOVE it),

*Math-U-See (big hit with him),

*Rod & Staff English (another hit with him after we figured out how to tweak it for us, which is simply doing the review lessons first to see if he NEEDS to do all of the lessons, and doing the workbook instead of the book work where a workbook page was available).

I'm homeschooling 2 children on the autism spectrum.

14 year old ds w/ Asperger's -- These are his favorites: Sonlight, Handwriting Without Tears (when he was younger), Math-U-See (when he was younger), Teaching Textbooks (switched this past year and absolutely loves it!), How Great Thou Art, the Story of the World books (when he was younger), Alpha Phonics (how he learned to read!), Natural Speller (a lifesaver!), and Apologia Science

6 year old dd w/ Autism -- We're just finishing Kindergarten, so it's not a long list yet! -- Math-U-See, Sing, Spell, Read & Write, Explode the Code, Sonlight, Handwriting Without Tears

My oldest is a Visual-Spatial Learner and Late-Talker. Our favorites have tended to be more visual but uncluttered, short but intense, whole to parts curriculum.

Spell to Write and Read (for K-2 we just concentrate on the phonograms using silly sentences and pictures, 3 plus we do the WISE lists with worksheets I typed up from the enrichments).

Singapore Math and Science

What works for us:

Story of the World with Activity Guide--I read, they listen and color

Minimus Latin and I think Latin Prep will be a great follow-up

Books that really helped us:

The Latin Centered Curriculum (helped us to keep things simple)

Composition in the Classical Tradition by D'Angelo (the framework for our composition curriculum that I wrote)

:001_smile:

Rod and Staff English (I have a dyslexic/ADD dd so we did all the intro and exercises orally, then she did the workbook page for written work)

IEW (After trying many writing programs, this was the best, hands-down. I started with the SWI)

A tie between Story of the World and Sonlight. I love the literature approach to history. I love SWB's history in SOTW. I love the reading choices for SL, but didn't really use the guides much.

Thanks for the great recommendations! Some of these I've never heard of like Writer's Jungle and Winter Promise. I'll do a little research on them this summer and try out some of the other suggestions, too. Keep the ideas comin'! I need 'em! Also, if anybody knows of any unbiased homeschool review links besides the ones listed above in this thread, that'd be great, too. I'm already feeling less burned out today than yesterday! LOL!

-Michele R. in TN (newbie)

These have worked well with my ds7 with some special needs:

Rod and Staff Reading/Phonics

Saxon Math

I don't think I will change these two curriculums since they provide such structure. They aren't colorful but we do other things with color and read lots of picture books.

Something we are going to try next year due to son's interest in animals is WinterPromise Animal Worlds. Should be fun!

• 1 month later...
*Rod & Staff English (another hit with him after we figured out how to tweak it for us, which is simply doing the review lessons first to see if he NEEDS to do all of the lessons, and doing the workbook instead of the book work where a workbook page was available).

I love this idea! It will help my DD so much.

I love My Father's World, it's been a huge blessing to our family. And after lots of prayer and realizing self-disciplining *myself* is the key to successful homeschooling, I've discovered again that it is the best for our family!

Any particular topics? Or all of 'em? Here goes!

Spelling - I use Spelling Workout. Others I've looked at that look good include Simply Spelling and Spelling Power (I think I'm getting the names right - I'm kinda bad with exact titles, sorry).

Math - I use and love Singapore. I use MUS for reinforcement, but wouldn't use it alone. But it does work well for some kids. I think Saxon is also a sound program. Scott-Foresman is good. I just think Singapore teaches kids how to think mathematically in a very efficient manner.

Grammar - I like FLL for younger kids. I like Abeka for older kids and I've used both those. I also like Rod and Staff (and have used it, some). I also like Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons, which I've also used some.

Reading/Literature - I don't use a program, per se, except for teaching reading - I used Phonics Pathways for that. I have pulled things off the internet to help me study literary elements next year, but other than that, I really don't like doing study guides along with our reading. It sorta takes the joy out of it, I think.

Writing - I've used McGraw Hill's Spectrum programming and liked it. I've used Writing Strands with a natural writer and he liked it and did well with it. I've done some of the writing suggestions in the grammar books I mentioned and those were fine, too.

Handwriting - I've always used Getty Dubay Italics with my boys and really like it. I don't really know enough about any other program to recommend any other.

Bible - I've gone through a ton of different things over the years but really like Memoria Press' Christian Studies.

I've used a variety of things for geography studies. Two I really like include McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Maps and Geography and Beautiful Feet's geo study using the Holling books.

I liked Rosetta Stone for Spanish, but can't get it free any longer and don't want to pay a bundle for another program when I've already invested in others in past, so I'm not using it currently.

I can't think of the company that has started putting out a newer language series, but I think the titles of the books are something like Latin for Children, Spanish for Children, Greek for Children, etc. I LOVE the look of this programming. I looked over all of it at convention and may yet invest in it.

I also love Minimus and Minimus Secundus for a first look at Latin.

I like Mind Benders as an intro to logic.

I like SOTW for elementary history, as a spine. We always add in tons of living books, too. I like Kingfisher (but not to outline!) and other encyclopedias for older kids. I like Hakim's History of US.

I like WTM recs for how to do science and use many of their ideas, together with newer things I've found over the years. We also add in tons of living books to this area of study. There is no one single text that I've found that I'm crazy about.

Good luck in your search for curriculum!

TWTM

SOTW

FLL

Saxon Math

SWO

All these work well, and I feel they are a good fit for us. I am trying a few new things out next year, but these core things will stay the same. And I almost forgot OPGTTR....it really worked for my ds, and was easy to implement.

We've only been at this a couple of years, but I'd say these ones:

Explode the code--greatly improved my ds' reading skills, and is working with dd now too.

Horizons Math--so far we really like this series, the review built in to each lesson is great for my kids. We do cut out some problems when they can already do them well (doing every other one sometimes).

SOTW--We are only 5 chapters into book 1, but we love it and it keeps the kids engaged while they color the pictures from the activity guide. They have really enjoyed the projects we've done and they both like the mapwork. We will be doing this regularly this coming year (last year we took a big break from formal history and science and concentrated on reading and math...)

GWG--we have used book 1/2, and can't wait to start book 3 in the fall!

My guy, 12, has raging ADHD, and nonverbal learning disorder. NLD basically means that his verbal skills are good, but his visual/spatial/fine motor skills are way below average (in his case, testing showed him to be on a 5 year old level for fine motor and visual processing skills).

Through many expensive mistakes, I've found that for science and history, nothing really works other than doing my own thing. There is just too much tweaking required for any premade curriculum. DS has poor comprehension, and needs a lot of materials on a lower level than his age would indicate. He also needs everything explained many times, there is no just handing him something and expecting him to do it.

Anyway, a few things that have worked are:

Apples to Pears spelling. This is great.

Keys to... math supplements.

SOTW seems to be a good choice so far. We're reading book 1.

Lots of historical fiction.

short lessons

year round school, Monday through Thursday, with weeks off as needed

Michelle T

I have an Aspie.

Here are my faves:

WinterPromise (FAVE FAVE FAVE FAVE)

RightStart and Singapore

Sequential Spelling (the only spelling program that's worked for us)

Handwriting Without Tears

1st Language Lessons 3, Learning Language Arts Through Literature

Otter's Science ;)

• 1 month later...

We just switched to total Math-u-see and I was given an Abeka math book and dd loves it. Color is good.

FLL 3 is a wonderful hit this year.

WWE-but we are on our first week. I think we will love it.

Prima Latina-we also just started this.

SOTW

We just started schooling again this week. These are what we like so far.

I adore My Father's World for history, science etc. I love the way the TM is laid out, open and go for our family. I'm learning to tweak things for us, so we're switching to R&S for english, math, spelling and extra phonics review. So far, I'm very pleased with the R&S math. It makes much more sense to me than Singapore.