Menu

May I see your curriculum plans for upcoming Kindergarten (K)?

BethG

[i call myself looking for threads on this and didn't find any:glare:.....(I know they're out there). So I reluctantly started this one. Feel free to post those old threads if you know of them as I'm too new to find them.]

So, once again,:D

May I see your curriculum plans for upcoming Kindergarten (K)?

Edit: I found it! The thread on this very subject:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276297&highlight=essential+science

(I knew I'd seen one).

Edited by BethG

Well, if there was another one, I don't think I posted on it. :D

My DS beginning his K year this year is going to be doing Heart of Dakota's Little Hearts for His Glory using our own homegrown phonics and math combos of various curricula and using A Reason for Handwriting A, Thinking Skills and Our Father's World from their scheduled choices.

I have tentative plans for Spelling Workout A and later, First Language Lessons 1. He will be doing some unscheduled cursive alongside also (something he's already started and wants to continue).

We are doing:

Recipe for Reading with some Hooked on Phonics and Explode the Code

Horizons K math

Handwriting without Tears K

Sonlight P4/5 for read alouds and Bible

Atelier Art

Tagging along with older brother for Elemental Science and History (SOTW 1/Sonlight)

For DS:

Essential Math (looks great, but haven't used it yet)

Handwriting Without Tears K

Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos

Phonics - for this I've written out goals for the year and we'll use various resources to achieve them. He's a more hands-on, figure-it-out-on-his-own kind of guy, so reading whole lists of words from a book would be torturous for both of us. I intend to use some A Beka worksheets, read Bob Books, and go over word lists from Word Mastery using the whiteboard, chalkboard, and All About Spelling tiles.

Also, SOTW 2 and Noeo Physics w/ big sister, but will not be required to sit through long reading times.

We're moving into 2nd, but I can tell you what we used for K.

HWT-K

MUS-Primer

OPGTTR

ETC (dropped after bk 1 because ds wasn't ready for 2)

Jesus Storybook Bible

Lots of read alouds which included some science and history, holidays, etc

Plenty of arts and crafts and playtime

Field trips 1x month on Fridays with a group of hs friends

We're unofficially doing K sort of...

Math: Singapore Essential Math K

Phonics/Reading: Webster's Speller/OPGTR/ETC

Handwriting: HWT K

He listens into big brother's science and Spanish. I'm not doing history with him yet.

I'm planning on:

OPGTR

ETC

BOB books/Nora Gaydos books

RS A

D'Nealian handwriting

I'll throw in Meet the Masters and Artistic Pursuits at some point.

I also plan on buying various science kits for DD5 to do w/DH for some one-on-one time. Nothing formal though.

My youngest ds will be starting K this coming fall :crying: He will be doing

PHONICS- Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways, Starfall

SPELLING- AAS 1

Handwriting- A Reason for Handwriting K

MATH- Horizons math K book 1, Singapore Earlybird Math

GEOGRAPHY- He will be tagging along with his sisters with ECC so I am looking for read alouds for him and his 1st grade brother for the Countries and cultures part

SCIENCE- The book of Animals (ECC), library books to go along with the Property of Ecosystems book his sisters will be going through with ECC, and experiment books for hands on science with his brother who will be in 1st and whatever little kits I pick up

That is it. His main focus will be Phonics, AAS and Math but will add in with ECC for geography and science when able. I am looking for good age appropriate supplements for both boys for this as we speak :001_smile:

We're moving into 2nd, but I can tell you what we used for K.

Same here.

• For Bible studies, we used several picture Bibles and the real Bible, but we usually started each week with the story of the week from Lindvall's Read Aloud Bible Stories (By the end of the year, my son was reading them himself.)

• Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons for reading

• Math-U-See Primer for math

• Five in a Row (first two books) unit studies and associated picture books for history, social sciences, art, literature, etc.

We just finished K, but I can tell you what ds (and older dd) used:

Handwriting without Tears (both PK and K levels)

Reading Reflex

Sonlight Readers

Singapore Earlybird Math & Singapore 1A

& wrote in a regular journal and kept a nature journal

I also read aloud quite a bit: literature, history, science, etc. I don't follow a curriculum for K, though. I just work on basics and follow my kindergartner's interests. I read lots of chapter books and history books to dd7. I read more science and less literature to ds6. Most of his favorite read-alouds were about dinosaurs, mammoths, and ancient Pompeii.

Just finished up K now...

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Singapore Math 1A & 1B

Story of the World with her older sister

HWT

Dick & Jane books (she didn't like Bob books, they weren't "real" books like her sister reads)

Memorization - skip counting, days of the week, months of the year, colors of the rainbow, K sight word list, phone number, & address

Language arts is the subject that's giving me the most trouble.

Reading: She's almost finished with OPGTR. We might do AAS or ETC for phonics review. She reads every day and we do lots of read-alouds.

Writing: HWT, probably moving into WWE later this year

Math: RightStart B, maybe adding the new LOF books just for fun

Science: BFSU

History: American history picture books (nothing formal)

Spanish: Homeschool Spanish

Memory work: poetry of her choice

We loosely started K in January for #3. She'll continue this fall with:

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Math: Miquonish math - transitioning into ABeka 1

Handwriting: Loosely teaching cursive

We are using:

oPGTR,sunlight readers 1 and 2

Singapore 1b and 2a

HWT 1

SSL

Beg. Geography from Evan moor

Elemental histories new American history

Elemental science intro to science

Lots of books too!

DS will also be in junior first form Lego and Chinese Sunday school. And maybe piano......

McRuffy Kinder LA

McRuffy Kinder math

McRuffy Kinder handwriting (loosely)

UK Handwriting pages

Free art, science, and history things

LOADS of stories pulled mainly from the FIAR lists and other places

We're using...

LA: SWR, SL Grade 2 Readers, CF, DEL

Math: EM (finished), Horizons K/Miquon Orange, Sing PM 1A when done

Literature/Bible: SL P4/5

Geography: E-M Beginning Geography

Tagging along with ds7:

Science: Noeo Physics I (plus his own reading in SL P4/5)

Latin: SSL (finish), PL

This is basically the same thing I did with ds7 minus the Noeo and Latin and adjusting math and reading levels. It was a great year.

Granted, 50% of this will be done along with older brothers, so some is intended specifically for her and some is for group consumption... I put "WOB" for the things that she'll be tagging along With Older Brothers for. ;)

Bible: Hymns for a Child's Heart

Morning Bible Study (Proverbs) (WOB)

English: English from the Roots Up (WOB)

Primary Language Lessons

Math: MEP, Big Book of Math, K

History: Beautiful Feet Early American History (WOB)

Time Travelers Colonial Life Activities

Boys & Girls of Colonial Days

If You Lived in Williamsburg in Colonial Days

Trip to Colonial Williamsburg!

Science: BFSU (WOB)

Music: Meet the Great Composers (WOB)

Art: Drawing With Children (WOB)

Artistic Pursuits (WOB)

Logic: Lollipop Logic

Geography: States Fandex

Inflatable Globe and games (WOB)

Handwriting Without Tears

Math- Math Mammoth 1, lots of math file folder games and online games

Phonics- Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code, Funnix 1

Handwriting\Copywork- haven't decided yet what to use for copywork but he already knows how to form all of his letters so we will just work on refining his handwriting through the copywork.

Literature- I will use audio books and librivox and he will sit in on dd8's read alouds from Trail Guide and Ambleside.

History, Geography, Science- Whatever will interest him from Trail Guide to Learning\POE.

Art- Trail Guide, my own instruction and Discovering Great Artists

Music- Nothing formal...just highlighting a couple of different composers per month using Classics for Kids

I'll also introduce and work on different topics using his breakfast board a couple times a week. (calendar, time, money, weather, interest topic, etc.)

Math - Right Start A - going to take it as slowly as the girls need

Handwriting - I was going to use Handwriting Without Tears again, but my girls need to trace something still, so I printed off pages from Jan Brett's website. Love the illustrations! May use HWT later in the year...

Phonics - Phonics Pathways and Bob books

Literature - Mother Goose Rhymes, will move onto fairy tales when done with our book

History and Science will be done with 2nd grade bro. Veritas Press OT/AE and God's Design for Plants.

Math - RightStart A and some Miquon

Phonics - Webster's Speller - following Elizabeth B's plans that she did with her son.

Handwriting - Getty Dubay Italic

Science - with big sister, using a Harcourt 2nd grade text (Life and Earth science) as a spine with lots of library books.

History - SOTW 2 with big sister.

Edited by kitten18

Alpha-phonics

ZB K and I plan on throwing in some copywork soon as he's getting more comfortable with his letters.

MUS Primer (he's already breezing through it, so we'll move into Alpha soon I'm sure)

we also do Bible stories and memory every day as well as TONS of reading.

No history or science yet, unless he specifically asks. :)

My almost 5 year old will be doing :

Phonics : McRuffy Phonics and Reading/ETC 1/Click N'Read online (for fun)

Handwriting : McRuffy

Math : McRuffy Math

Science : Nancy Larson Science 1 with his sister.

That's about it.

Julia

Current:

- Leading Little Ones to God

- Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

- Handwriting Without Tears (started the preschool one over, and should still have plenty of time to get through both that and the kindergarten one)

- RightStart Math Level A

- Beautiful Feet Early American History

Hope to get going soon:

- Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

- Sonlight P4/5

We will also be doing Classical Conversations & a fine arts coop (drawing, chorus, drama/puppet theater, public speaking) beginning in the fall.

Also sitting in my "really want to do but haven't figured out how to manage it timewise" bin:

- Memoria Press Kindergarten (not the stuff that overlaps with the above - just the recitations, art, music, etc.)

- HOD Little Hearts for His Glory (skipping the stuff that overlaps with other)

- Explode the Code

- MEP Reception math

- Miquon math

- Lollipop Logic

- Five in a Row coordinated with Galloping the Globe

- Core Knowledge Kindergarten (fill in with anything that isn't covered by other programs)

- piano with Music for Little Mozarts

- Elementary Spanish on Discovery Streaming

Edited by MeganW

main program - HOD Little Hearts

Phonics/Spelling/handwriting - SWR & Cursive First

Math - RightStart A (started this last year)

Foreign Language - ASL (this is ongoing since they were babies) and French music

Music - Musikgarten classes (ongoing)

Edited by kristin0713

Um, right now this is what I have:

NOTHING!! Ack! It is the 3rd (:w00t:) go round of this and I just have not gotten to the actual nuts and bolts of what we are doing. Sigh. I need more hours in the day! Here is the mental rough draft:

I am seriously thinking about Miquon for math. She has done most of the Singapore Essentials book A and I think a bit more hands on would be great. We have used MEP Reception, so I may throw some of that in there and will likely add in some living math.

We have used a bit of AAR, so maybe adding in level 1 when that comes out, as well as some PR later in the year.

I desperately need to figure out handwriting. The woman who does our end of year testing is a former hs mom and friend. She told me after 1 & 2's testing that #3 & 4 better come to her knowing cursive! She was strongly advocating I go straight to cursive. She tells me this every year, I just always drop the ball b/c other things come up, but I am in serious pursuit of a great HW program.

She will enjoy history and science with the bigs as much as she wants.

I will likely plan thematic units for her pulling in some K appropriate science and history read alouds using Core Knowledge K as guidelines. There will also be Montessori inspired activities available to her centered around our thematic unit.

She will continue to have lots of play and listening to audio books, but she is definitely demanding her school time like the big kids. :)

Handwriting - I was going to use Handwriting Without Tears again, but my girls need to trace something still, so I printed off pages from Jan Brett's website. Love the illustrations! May use HWT later in the year...

I love those Jan Brett pages! I had seen the cursive before, but I didn't realize there was printing too. We have done almost exclusively lowercase letters, and I really ought to add in some uppercase too. This should be perfect!

I'm pretty sure I responded on the other thread with our K-4 plans, and I don't think they've changed. (Funnix 2, SRA Math Explorations and Applications with MEP Reception, French exposure, paint and drums) I've been having way too much fun finding books to request within my library system and the library in the next county. They have all of the SOTW materials, plus FLL and a few others for me to preview for future years. Fun, fun, fun!!!

Officially, we're not quite K yet, but unofficially we are.

Phonics/Reading

Hooked on Phonics

Phonics Pathways (to fill in any gaps when he finishes HOP)

Explode the Code

Writing

Homemade handwriting sheets

Copywork when ready (also homemade)

Math

Finish Rightstart A

Begin Singapore PM

Bible

Read from a story Bible

Everything else will be done using books, crafts and imaginations.

Science & History Monthly Themes

Dinosaurs

Harvest/Fall

Pirates

Knights & Dragons

Famous Monuments

Simple Machines

Human Body

& more

Geography

Maps

Continents & Oceans

Land and Water Forms

(It only looks like a lot. Trust me, it's not.) ;)

I haven't typed this out before now, but it'll be good to actually see what we have and what we might need.

LA: Just finishing OPG, AAS 1 & probably 2, FIAR, practice/practice/practice reading, loosely using HWT.

Math: Some combo of Singapore 1A/1B, Right Start A/B/games, MEP and Miquon. We're going to spread everything out on the table and make a decision at some point.

Am History: We're not going to do a program... just read books about basic topics in some sort of chronological order based on Guest Hollow or some other book list and add in some crafty sort of things using the David C King books.

Extra curricular activities: gymnastics, chorus (maybe?) and social skills play group.

DS ( K-ner/ 4,5 years old)

LA: SWR, Cursive First, reading books

Russian LA (learning to read and write)

Poetry/Memorization: IEW, level 1

Math: finishing RS A, SM PM 1A/B, IP 1A/B, CWP, Olympiad Trainer 1; Russian Math Peterson (1 grade), MEP 1, Miquon.

Latin: Song School Latin

Greek: Song School Greek

German: German Kindergarten

French: French Facile, Jr.

Science: Let's Science; Zoology Lapbooks, on-line science classes, RS4K pre-level

History: MOH 1/2, SOTW 1/2, unit studies and lapbooks Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, China

Critical Thinking: Hands on Primary, Mind Benders, Kumon mazes and others

Music:Music for little Mozarts(piano)

PhE: Skating

Art: mama's "art school"

Geography: A Child's Geography

Edited by SneguochkaL

So excited to get started officially! My son (who is 5 1/2) will be doing:

Phonics Road Level 1

BFH (Barchowsky Fluent Handwriting, a cursive program)

Math on the Level

Ateliar for Art

Little Professor Science (Newtons Law and Polymers) first half of year

and I'm sure 10 other things. But that's where I am now and I'm trying not to go too crazy on the little guy! We're going to do gymnastics, MAYBE music, and the Jr. Lego League too!

Edited by kemilie

I've settled on RightStart B for math, and HOD LHFHG. I also have Apologia Flying Creatures (ds loves bugs etc) that we may dab in, lots of animal books and science experiment books.

Considering IWE for reading/writing.... or Phonics Pathways, or Websters Speller with ZB handwriting.

Wondering how to do geography. Does HOD LHFHG cover that enough? May focus on the US states, he knows many by name already. He's good with some continents just from reading books and animal habitats.

Swim class, but may change to gym. I think he's burnt out on swim (private class, and it's getting harder... losing the 'fun') and gym/tumbling is in a group and more variety/fun)

This is a great thread, thanks for posting!

My son will be doing K4/5 this fall, and the plan is:

LA

Webster's Speller (we're already doing this)

I can Read books and other appropriate reading material

FLL 1

lots of classics for me to read out loud- we are doing Little House right now

Getty Dubay italics, although my son is still ambidextrous, so I will be putting this off for a bit more time because his fine motor isn't that great yet. His two year old sister has a more consistent pencil grip than he does!

Math

Miquon and Right Start Games, skip counting, practice with estimation

Art

Atelier, if the HSBC price drops low enough! Otherwise, maybe MtM

We listen to Classical Kids music all the time

Science

Nature walks and BFSU

Also...

E-M Geography

Baltimore Catechism and Catholic Mosaic

French (we are bilingual)- beginning reading once English reading is better established

This sounds like a ridiculous ton, but I think only phonics, read-alouds, math and handwriting will be daily, FLL will probably be 2x a week, geography once, and art once a week or every other week.

I just posted about this but I have made some changes:

Reading: McGuffey Eccletic Primer and lots of readers from different sources.

Handwriting: Penny Gardner's Beautiful Italics for Children

Math: Singapore Essential Math K

Geography/History: Geography Success Starter Book and read alouds.

Science: Elemental Science mixed with Scholastic Curriculum Bank Science as a spine. Handbook of Nature, More Mudpies to Magnets, DK Children Encyclopedia and tons of other science books as backup resources (ds is keen on science, hence the long book list).

The 3 r's daily. The rest twice a week.

Art and music will be fitted in along the way as part of the above but no as separate subjects because I don't want to overwhelm ds (or me!).

DS 4 partially started K a month ago. He will start a full schedule in August.

Math: Saxon 1/Singapore 1A/1B

Reading: HOP yellow book/Phonics Museum/Learning through Sounds (Pathway Readers)

Bible: Vos Story Bible/Big Bible Timeline/Awanas

FIAR

Science: Animals and Their Worlds

Art: Atelier Art

Geography: States and Capitals Geography Songs

Homeschool Co-op and Tae Kwon Do

Some other miscellaneous stuff

It looks like a lot typed up, but don't feel sorry for him. We aren't doing every subject every day. I'll do a lot of picking and choosing with FIAR and Animals and Their Worlds. (And he's had a LOT of exposure to the older kids' school. He needs a little extra to challenge him.)

I don't have a K'er right now so I'll post what I used for the others and what I plan to use for the little guy in about 4-5 years.

I screwed up Kindergarten with the oldest. Had no idea what I was doing or that TWTM even existed! I wish I knew then what I know now! That, and we had zero budget for materials. I was so lost...

The middle one got better than the oldest as I was more experienced. He started the "what's that say?" routine just before his 4th birthday. I picked up a copy of OPGTR and we went to town. I didn't have index cards so we used leftover blank business cards and he picked the marker color to write with each day.

3-4 months after that, we started HWOT Get Set for School book for pre-k and he enjoyed that.

He and big brother spent a few months (August-December) in a local charter school. He read better than anyone in his class and got bored because he had to wait for the teacher to read to the rest of the class, started running his mouth and got in trouble. It was only going to get worse from there.

We brought them both home and picked up again on the first school day after New Years that year. I used mostly Abeka materials for science and language arts. We were blessed with a copy of Saxon K which he was familiar with from school. It turned out to be way to much fuss for us.

I should clarify that we used the 1st grade language arts from Abeka since he's a phenomenal reader and the K was too easy for him. The science was K, however.

I hope this helps!