Menu

Experience with your Honda Odyssey??

We are possibly looking at buying a used Odyssey.....but for our budget it will certainly have 100,000 miles ++

My only concern is the known problems with the transmissions.... I have heard of some people replacing theirs on their Honda Odysseys several times...

Can you give me your experiences or known experiences with yours?

Debbie

We are possibly looking at buying a used Odyssey.....but for our budget it will certainly have 100,000 miles ++

My only concern is the known problems with the transmissions.... I have heard of some people replacing theirs on their Honda Odysseys several times...

Debbie

Ours in an Ought-Six, and we have had NO trouble, except the door broke when hubby opened it and let is slam open when parked on The World's Steepest Driveway (really, people take pictures of this driveway). Now it is a bit arthritic on opening. We have >100K and besides the usual servicing, nothing else.

We bought our '00 Certified/Used from Honda in '02. It has ~130K on it now. We have had no transmissions problems (although I wish dh would let the car stop completely after reversing before he puts it into Drive :glare:).

We had a problem with the manual sliding door and had something replaced. We had a very minor electrical problem that was easily fixed. Both have been in the past four years. I've always been more than pleased with the gas mileage too, for a minivan--low 20s for highway mpg.

Last year we bought a 2000 H.O. with 105,000 miles and it's run beautifully. Helps that the previous owner babied it, and we have the service records as proof. It now has 120,000+ and still does great!

There is an oddball sound in the rear when the vehicle first drives on any given day, but seems to work itself out after 2-3 miles. When the tech looked at it, he couldn't see any obvious problems. So far the mystery sound hasn't caused any further troubles.

For $7800 it was the best bang for the buck!

I did a ton of research a few months back trying to decide between an older Odyssey or Sienna. What I learned was that the issues with the Odyssey transmission were fixed after 2005-2006. I'd avoid any built from 2001-2004, even if the transmission was replaced. The van was built on top of an Accord motor/transmission and they (Honda experts) think the Accord transmission just couldn't handle the extra load of a van body.

The problem with the automatic sliding doors was also fixed around the same time.

ETA: Scroll down for a really cool graph to see the problem years.

Edited by jadedone80
add link

I have a 2001 and my transmission went out. Nevermind that I bought it as a used certified car and with that being a known issue they didn't address it- I'm more than a tad bitter about that! As luck would have it the transmission went out after any extended warrenty on it expired.

If you go for an Odyssey get one that is a 2005 or newer. The transmission issues are with 2000-2004 models, but by 2005 they had fixed the problem.

I have a 2001 and my transmission went out. Nevermind that I bought it as a used certified car and with that being a known issue they didn't address it- I'm more than a tad bitter about that! As luck would have it the transmission went out after any extended warrenty on it expired.

If you go for an Odyssey get one that is a 2005 or newer. The transmission issues are with 2000-2004 models, but by 2005 they had fixed the problem.

I'm pretty sure around 2005, Honda did extend the transmission warranty on this model year to 160K because it was a known issue. You might look into it to see if you can get reimbursed if you had it fixed and it was out of warranty. (We did a ton of research.)

Ours is an '01. We are on our 5th transmission. :blink: The first 2 replacements were covered by Honda. The next one was finally out of their warranty, so we had to pay AAMCO. That one only lasted a month!! But AAMCO gave us a 36k warranty, so they rebuilt it at no cost to us. I really hope we have a new car by the time the 36k is up.

Ours is a 2007 and we haven't had any problems with it. There is currently a repair recall for it that we have to take it in for, but it is covered by Honda. It's something very minor. I think we've had one other one in the time we've had it, unless I'm confusing it with another vehicle. We have put very few miles on ours, so that would affect the wear and tear and the need or lack of need for repairs. We got it new and it's just under 32,000 miles.

Debbie

Transmission, transmission, transmission, transmission... that's how many we went through. Other than that it was great. lol

I believe that consumer reports has ratings my year for used Odysseys. Some years were worse than others. Ours was a 2000.

We have a '97. Honda changed the body in '98. The ones before that year were built on the station wagon platform. The ones after are built on a larger van body and after a year or so they added a stronger engine. (I think..I remember American drivers wanted more pick up and they did make some changes at that time. Dh asked me which I wanted and I said I didn't mind driving a V4 around. I'm not in a hurry.)

You may want to do some research into whether those first few years with the new platform with a slightly larger engine had transmission problems.

For the pre-'97s, we still have ours and have never had transmission problems. We're the second owners and the previous owners did not change the transmission either (based on their word and the written record they kept in the glove box). Ours is fairly high mileage now. Dh uses it as a work car.

We have an '01. Transmission was replaced by Honda (covered on the warranty) about 4 years ago. Now it runs fine, but LOUD.

(I don't like reading that people have had multiple transmission replacements; ours runs so loudly these days that I think something must be wrong. We're due for a checkup this summer. I'll cross my fingers.)

When dh was researching Odessy's he also said he would not get anything pre 2005 because of the transmission issues...also my sister said that the belts have to be done around 110,000 miles and they are expensive so if you buy used around 100,000 miles make sure the belts have been replaced or save money to replace them.

We have a '97. Honda changed the body in '98. The ones before that year were built on the station wagon platform. The ones after are built on a larger van body and after a year or so they added a stronger engine. (I think..I remember American drivers wanted more pick up and they did make some changes at that time. Dh asked me which I wanted and I said I didn't mind driving a V4 around. I'm not in a hurry.)

You may want to do some research into whether those first few years with the new platform with a slightly larger engine had transmission problems.

For the pre-'97s, we still have ours and have never had transmission problems. We're the second owners and the previous owners did not change the transmission either (based on their word and the written record they kept in the glove box). Ours is fairly high mileage now. Dh uses it as a work car.

I have a 1997 that I have owned since 2000. It just rolled over to 180,000 miles. :001_smile:

I have had problems with the A/C and radiator leaks. My honda guys says that if I keep the oil changed and maintain it, it will get 300,000 miles. My plan is to drive it until my oldest needs a car and get myself a peppy little car. :auto:

We've had a rebuild on the transmission in ours three times. The first probably should have been covered because I think they extended their transmission warranties because of the issues but we were on vacation at the time and had no clue. So we've paid for them all by ourselves. It needs another. We won't be doing it. We got a Kia instead and are hanging onto the Odyssey for trips around town until it can't be safely driven.

Edited by sbgrace

We have an '03 with 160K miles. We've never had transmission problems. Our rear air went out a couple of years ago, but that's the only repair we've had to make the entire time.

If you buy used that is past the mileage of the recommended timing belt change, make sure that was done or have it done right away. Ours was recommended to be done at 105K. That is the big maintenance we were told not to skip.

And have had the power steering replaced twice the first year, brakes replaced the first year (covered under warranty), some kind of high pitch sound under the hood that seems to have gone away on its own, the transmission is going out, and we got a notice on a recall on the brakes or pads recently. I do have to say though that I was hit buy a large truck going 55 mph, and he hit me while I was sitting still and my two smaller kids and I were fine. He never used his brakes and my car took the full impact. We bought it because of its safety features and I think it held up well.

We've had two Honda Odysseys.

First one was a 2001. Replaced that transmission three times. Finally we sold it at 230k miles. We added a transmission cooler added the last time but sold it before we found out whether it really helped or not.

Second one is a 2004. We've replaced this transmission once (so far!). It now has 133K miles on it. We added a transmission cooler as this is supposed to help.

We've had many (at least 8) other Hondas in the past with little or no trouble.

We will not be purchasing a third Honda Odyssey.