Menu

Local couponer arrested

I do not get this couponing obsession lately. I'm all for saving a buck or two here and there but carrying it to obsession level where you are stealing inserts and dumpster diving to get them? I can think of about 10,000 better uses for my time. It just annoys me. We save on our grocery bill but limiting the amount of processed junk we buy. Seems to work pretty well. *shrug* I used ***4** coupons today and was excited. lol! I don't typically use them at all so maybe that's why I find this obsessive clipping a little odd?

The coupon puns are hilarious! We do a little bit of crazy couponing in our house: http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/24/coupons-and-kids-math-in-action/

I have a special deal with our paper where I get the paper every day, and then 5 copies on Sunday for 6 months for $100. So no need to land in jail!

Edited by jenbrdsly

I always check the newspapers I get at the store to make sure they still have their coupons. I hate it when people take them. Don't know that a night in jail was called for, but I bet she won't be stealing coupon sections anymore!

I hate that too! I've had that happen too. (the missing coupon thing, not the jail thing :D)

I'm not so sure about that - she doesn't seem to be acknowledging her crime at all!

:iagree: I can't believe that doesn't understand what she is doing is stealing. She is taking a part of a product that is sold. I would be livid if I got a newspaper and it didn't have the coupons inside. Coupons, the crossword puzzle, and the comics are the only parts of a Sunday paper we use and they are why we buy the newspaper in the first place.

It's like going to a shoe store and taking the shoelaces from the shoes. I guess it's technically not stealing the shoes, huh? :confused:

I do not get this couponing obsession lately. I'm all for saving a buck or two here and there but carrying it to obsession level where you are stealing inserts and dumpster diving to get them? I can think of about 10,000 better uses for my time. It just annoys me. We save on our grocery bill but limiting the amount of processed junk we buy. Seems to work pretty well. *shrug* I used ***4** coupons today and was excited. lol! I don't typically use them at all so maybe that's why I find this obsessive clipping a little odd?

Well, one could interpret this to mean you're sitting on a high horse because you don't buy processed junk. If you don't think couponing is for you, I really don't see why you feel the need to diss other people for what they are choosing to buy. I use coupons and typically save 50% of my grocery bill because of it. That doesn't mean I'm the kind of person who would steal from other people to save a buck.

Well, one could interpret this to mean you're sitting on a high horse because you don't buy processed junk. If you don't think couponing is for you, I really don't see why you feel the need to diss other people for what they are choosing to buy. I use coupons and typically save 50% of my grocery bill because of it. That doesn't mean I'm the kind of person who would steal from other people to save a buck.

Do you steal or dumpster dive for them? Well, ok then. I am NOT getting sucked into another dramafest and I'm not attaching disclaimers to every post to make sure no one gives it a meaning of its own and gets offended. :glare:

I coupon and that makes me see red! She is a thief pure and simple. If I go out to buy a Sunday paper and pay for it, I want to get the whole thing! Inserts and all! What could she possibly think justifies that behavior?? She need a BOGO deal on some time in the slammer. :angry:

First, the coupon puns are cracking me up, and I really need a good laugh today, so THANK YOU! :D

Second, I cannot feel sorry for a person who seems to have absolutely no guilt whatsoever for what is clearly stealing.

Lastly, about the article on people being depressed that they can't get $1000s in groceries for pennies -- you can't believe everything you see on TV, even if they do call it a "reality" show. If you're gullible enough to believe it can be done (without cheating or illegality), then you kind of deserve to be disappointed when it doesn't work for you.

I think the article made a very good point -- that a discount of 10%, 20%, 30% used to be considered very nice. Now, times are tight and people want things for 80%, 90% off, or for free. I don't think that is a reasonable or fair expectation at all.

I shop for basics at the local grocery, but they don't carry much. For shopping trips (stocking up), I am pretty happy with my current store (Superstore, which I think is Loblaws in the East). They do not take coupons other than their own in-store coupons, or their own flyers' coupons. They are usually pretty good coupons, though, and they include fresh meat, produce and dairy every week. They are always different and I like that they will give coupons right in the aisle next to the product. They also always have a weekly special coupon where if you spend a certain amount, you get something for free. A couple of weeks ago, it was a free folding lawn chair. A few months ago, it was 3 free large plastic shopping totes. Sometimes, it will be a large box of produce -- like this week, where it was a 16 count box of mangoes.

Maybe I don't expect much, or maybe I'm just happy with feeling like I'm getting good products at a decent price already. Or, maybe I'm a sucker for free mangoes. :tongue_smilie:

I think the obsession has to do with that TV show that has extreme couponers getting $1000 of stuff for a couple of bucks. They make it look easy.

We coupon, but only for things we'd normally purchase that go along with our diet (high protein). We focus mostly on cleaning products, shampoo, laundry soap and non-food items. Those are the items that used to jack up the cost of my grocery bill. Many coupons we can't use because of the sugar or wheat content but avoiding those foods isn't what is saving us money...it's the sundry items. :)

I guess if some folks get a kick out of spending 30-40 hrs a week on coupons that is their thing. It doesn't bother me...unless they steal my inserts. If they want to dumpster dive then that is ok too. Not my bag - but to each his own. ;)

I think the obsession has to do with that TV show that has extreme couponers getting $1000 of stuff for a couple of bucks. They make it look easy.

We coupon, but only for things we'd normally purchase that go along with our diet (high protein). We focus mostly on cleaning products, shampoo, laundry soap and non-food items. Those are the items that used to jack up the cost of my grocery bill. Many coupons we can't use because of the sugar or wheat content but avoiding those foods isn't what is saving us money...it's the sundry items. :)

I guess if some folks get a kick out of spending 30-40 hrs a week on coupons that is their thing. It doesn't bother me...unless they steal my inserts. If they want to dumpster dive then that is ok too. Not my bag - but to each his own. ;)

Wait...hold up now...I just read a poster say she got a box of FREE mangos?!?! I might have to rethink my position now. :lol:

Seriously though, I think what induces the eyerolling response for me is just what you said...people see it on TV and now it's all the rage and all you hear about it extreme couponers. It makes me want to say things like "Get a life!" but I don't because that would be rude. :D

Wait...hold up now...I just read a poster say she got a box of FREE mangos?!?! I might have to rethink my position now. :lol:

Seriously though, I think what induces the eyerolling response for me is just what you said...people see it on TV and now it's all the rage and all you hear about it extreme couponers. It makes me want to say things like "Get a life!" but I don't because that would be rude. :D

I think the show really shows the obsessive aspect. With many of the profiled on that show I think it borders on a hoarding compulsion. Seriously...who needs a closet full of soda or 96 bottles of antacid? I think the amounts are disturbing. That said...I could probably use 96 bottles of aspirin...hummm....:lol:

I do not get this couponing obsession lately. I'm all for saving a buck or two here and there but carrying it to obsession level where you are stealing inserts and dumpster diving to get them?

I agree that when it is pushed to the point of stealing, it gets a little crazy.

Seems like they are cracking down on this all over:

http://paraglideonline.net/062311_news3.html

I can think of about 10,000 better uses for my time. It just annoys me. We save on our grocery bill but limiting the amount of processed junk we buy. Seems to work pretty well. *shrug* I used ***4** coupons today and was excited. lol! I don't typically use them at all so maybe that's why I find this obsessive clipping a little odd?

I know people who are big-time couponers. A lot of times when they buy processed stuff or toiletries it is to get overages. The overages allow them to get their produce and other items for which you never receive coupons. For example, there might be a sale on shampoo for $1.50 and you might have a $2 coupon for the same shampoo. That is a 50 cent overage that goes toward their other groceries. In other words, they are getting paid to buy the item with their coupon. The couponers *I* know track those things they will receive overages on, buy loads of those items (usually special ordering the items so that they don't clear the shelf) and send the stuff downrange or donate it to the Red Cross.

I agree that what she did is wrong and should be punished. It is stealing.

I did couponing for a while and often got 65% off my bill even though our stores don't double or triple coupons. It's nice to see a receipt where you saved more than you paid for things your family would use. I haven't couponed in a long time though; I'm excited if I can find the time to shop for more than a day's worth of food these days.

I agree that when it is pushed to the point of stealing, it gets a little crazy.

Seems like they are cracking down on this all over:

http://paraglideonline.net/062311_news3.html

I know people who are big-time couponers. A lot of times when they buy processed stuff or toiletries it is to get overages. The overages allow them to get their produce and other items for which you never receive coupons. For example, there might be a sale on shampoo for $1.50 and you might have a $2 coupon for the same shampoo. That is a 50 cent overage that goes toward their other groceries. In other words, they are getting paid to buy the item with their coupon. The couponers *I* know track those things they will receive overages on, buy loads of those items (usually special ordering the items so that they don't clear the shelf) and send the stuff downrange or donate it to the Red Cross.

I like this part. We saw one episode where the couponer used the stockpile to make care packages for the troops which gave me warm fuzzies along with another person who donated stockpile stuff to food pantries. Now the ones who just stockpile stuff so they can go downstairs and admire their pretties? Ugh.

Do you steal or dumpster dive for them? Well, ok then. I am NOT getting sucked into another dramafest and I'm not attaching disclaimers to every post to make sure no one gives it a meaning of its own and gets offended. :glare:

Well, we all have our vices I suppose. Couponing doesn't take but an hour of my time once a week. But I don't watch any reality shows because I think they are a colossal waste of MY time, so I wouldn't know about people who go overboard.

It was a "free with purchase" offer. I got the free mangoes because the store's offer was that if you bought over $150 in groceries in a single trip, you could have a free box of mangoes. They have these freebies every week. You usually have to spend $150 to get the freebie.

I don't go every week, but when I do, I am always over the amount to get the freebie.

I just wanted to clarify that ... just in case anyone thinks they can make a run at the nearest Superstore to clean them out of mangoes for free.

Well, we all have our vices I suppose. Couponing doesn't take but an hour of my time once a week. But I don't watch any reality shows because I think they are a colossal waste of MY time, so I wouldn't know about people who go overboard.

You sound like an average shopper. That's not a lot of time on couponing.

I admit that I've only seen 2 of the Extreme Couponer shows. I find them too disturbing to watch again. If you did see these shows, I think you would be shocked. I shop to keep a stockpile of food, yet I am shocked by what these people call a stockpile. Some of them stockpile more than a family of 20 could use in a lifetime. It is frightening. They also talk about their coupon stashes, their shopping trips and their stockpiles in disturbingly intimate ways -- as if the shopping or the stockpile were an embodied loved one.

Now if they could just nail the losers who steal all the peelie coupons off the items in the store :glare::glare::glare:

:lol: Hey, I just got $150 in free groceries at Stop & Shop for buying gas gift cards. We spend $400 a month on gas anyway, so I might as well get free groceries for it! I also just got DH a bunch of great razors for about 25 cents each. I love couponing. Then again, I don't buy a ton of processed food either, so I'm happy just to save what I can, where I can.

Tiffany, there's a really great site for couponers in our state, if you want to look :w00t:

Now if they could just nail the losers who steal all the peelie coupons off the items in the store :glare::glare::glare:

:lol: Hey, I just got $150 in free groceries at Stop & Shop for buying gas gift cards. We spend $400 a month on gas anyway, so I might as well get free groceries for it! I also just got DH a bunch of great razors for about 25 cents each. I love couponing. Then again, I don't buy a ton of processed food either, so I'm happy just to save what I can, where I can.

Tiffany, there's a really great site for couponers in our state, if you want to look :w00t:

Ok, send me the link. But you have to PROMISE you won't let me turn into a couponing nutjob. :tongue_smilie:

OT but I did call and leave a message for the Chinatown tour thingy. I'll let you know (and probably post a thread for the people in our area) when they get back to me. :)