Menu

Mom said older DD isn't "gifted" at dance...

... and should do something else. I didn't hang up on her, so can I have a gold star for my self-control?

DDs are both in ballet and both love it and choose to continue. Younger DD is a natural, graceful, girly-girl ballerina princess who is totally at home on stage in front of her adoring fans.

Older DD is more athletic than graceful, is a little nervous on stage and struggles more learning her dances. Still, she has focus, perseverance and genuinely enjoys ballet.

Cool. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're having fun and it's a positive environment, they can continue dancing as long as they want. I don't care at all about them being "the best."

They had their spring recital a few weeks ago and... :001_wub: ... they were precious! Like their classmates (and almost every other 6 or 7 yo dancer on the planet) the made some mistakes and weren't perfect, but after the recital they were smiling and feeling so proud of themselves, like this --> :D :D Their smiles made it all worthwhile!

ANYWAY, last night, my mom and I were talking about dance, the recital, etc. and my mom asks me: "Are you sure Older-DD really wants to be in ballet, because it doesn't really seem like she's a natural." She went on to imply that I was pushing her and not paying attention to where DD's real strengths lay.

I told her yes, DD has asked to continue, etc.

But, it brought back all sorts of crappy memories about how things were in my family. Basically, unless you were a "natural" at something, it wasn't worth investing time or money in. There was no learning curve, there was no pride in rising from "lousy" to "average" at a sport or activity. If something didn't come easy, then just skip it. It's not your "gift." That was the theme: "Stick with your gifts." "What's your giftedness?" Etc.

So now I see her starting to dump this messed up thinking on my DD and it really makes me mad. Who cares if she ever becomes a great dancer? That doesn't matter!

What matters:

She's having fun, making new friends, learning new skills, overcoming nervousness about being on stage, and gets to dress up and wear make-up on performance day :).

It's okay not to be the best at something. It's okay to be really, really bad at something but do it anyway, just because it's fun.

Thanks for letting me vent. It really did help to type it all out. If you read this far, YOU get a gold star ;)

I teach dance and I would much rather teach a dancer who works hard and enjoys dance than one with "talent," but no dedication and no passion. Every child should learn dance with joy and never feel criticized for their love. I've seen too many dancers turned away from dance because they didn't have the right technique, talent, or body.

You have the right attitude! No one would tell a music student to stop playing the piano because they would never play Carnegie Hall.

I agree with you completely. ... And yet, I wouldn't want you to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to your mom's advice either. ;)

Ballet is wonderful. Both of my kids are involved. Ds is a very serious little dancer. He works hard, he concentrates, he loves being there and working day to day. Dd is more natural. She doesn't *love* it like he does, but she gets praise for her ability and grace. The odds of either becoming a "dancer" someday? Next to nil. Absolutely.

But they are gaining strength, flexibility, poise, follow-through, perseverance, grace... Things that will stick with them into adulthood, even if they never dance past their teens. And that's *wonderful*.

With or without "natural talent" or a "gift", the fact is that a fraction of a fraction of a percent of those kids in children's dance classes will pursue dance-related careers in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't mean it's worthless to them!

On the other hand, if your mom says, "Hey, are you *really* paying attention to what your dd wants to do? The ways in which she could really shine?" Well... That's not a BAD thing to consider from time to time. You are 100% *right* that it's *okay* and even *good* to learn to work at something where you *aren't* naturally gifted! It's right and good to work and take pride in the effort and the progress made, even if you're really terrible at something. ;) (My own experiences learning to run as an adult and compete in a triathlon bear this out!) ... Buuut, at some point it's worth reevaluating the reasons why she's in an activity and if there's something else that would be a better fit. Does she *love* dance? Would she get more from gymnastics or soccer?

But I agree with you that the idea that we can only do the things we're already good at is hogwash. ;)

Just calming you down a tiny bit if I can. ;) Your mom may be a total nut, but just because *she* said something doesn't *automatically* make it untrue. ;)

And ballet is a wonderful foundation for so many things. :)

You are definitely in the right. If she enjoys it she should continue. But, you said she was athletic but not overly graceful or comfortable on stage. She is very young (6-7?)? I do think it would be a good idea to allow her to explore other sports/physical activities. It may very well be that she will find one that she not only enjoys but excels in. I always think it is a good idea for small children to have more than one sports option.

Perseverance wins out over giftedness many times.

I have one child who struggles to do pretty much everything. He still gets the opportunity to engage in sports, piano lessons, swimming, etc. The fact that he is NOT naturally gifted at any of it yet perseveres in spite of his issues inspires me.

I say let her dance like no one's watching! :D Good for oldest dd! Good for you!

One of the many fabulous "gifts" that my mother gave me was a childhood full of letting me do any activity I wanted to try. Doing this helped me to understand where my interest and giftings were, and I was able to come to that conclusion myself in an atmosphere of love, acceptance and lack of fear for screwing something up. I never became an athlete and did no sports past elementary age because I was terrible at them. But I got to play and discover that in time on my own. Priceless.

You are definitely in the right. If she enjoys it she should continue. But, you said she was athletic but not overly graceful or comfortable on stage. She is very young (6-7?)? I do think it would be a good idea to allow her to explore other sports/physical activities. It may very well be that she will find one that she not only enjoys but excels in. I always think it is a good idea for small children to have more than one sports option.

I hear you. She's also in gymnastics and learning baseball. And training to be a Jedi Knight (does that count as a sport? ;) )

I want to add that even if your daughter not pursuing a career in dance, it's still a skill she will have all her life if she chooses to do other things. I know lawyers, scientists, accountants, dentists, etc., who continued to dance with amateur and professional groups, like dance teams and ballroom dance.

Let her do it as long as she wants to and tell Grandma to mind her own business. :)

My dd LOVES softball. She's starting to become a pretty good defensive player but she can. not. hit. the. ball. She had lots of walks this season (she's really good at waiting for a walk), but I think she only had one hit. One. But still she wants to play. It can be painful to watch when she's in the batter's box but I'm happy to let her continue next season, if that's what she wants. And I'll continue to praise her effort.

I believe there is much value in knowing early in life that not everything comes easy and that you will not always be the best at everything you try.

Aw, see, this is the type of thing my mom would say! Really chafes my hiney, kwim? The worst of it is that these little remarks usually come when I'm excited about something and am sharing it with her. Hate that.

But yes, by all means, your dd should continue dance for as long as it makes her happy. Soon enough we grow up and have to do all sorts of unpleasant things, so childhood should be the time when we can explore and dream.

This attitude seems prevalent around me, but really--age 7? Seems to me you are right on! 7 year olds should be having fun, dancing, loving life, exploring all kinds of things--not settling on their giftedness yet. Her dancing abilities are irrelevant right now. Seems to me that if she's having fun, getting exercise and being with friends that dancing is a success for her right now!

It's okay not to be the best at something. It's okay to be really, really bad at something but do it anyway, just because it's fun.

I want to add that even if your daughter not pursuing a career in dance, it's still a skill she will have all her life if she chooses to do other things. I know lawyers, scientists, accountants, dentists, etc., who continued to dance with amateur and professional groups, like dance teams and ballroom dance.

If we only did the things in life that we're really' date=' really good at, we'd do very little...Let your daughters do what they enjoy. :)[/quote']

But yes, by all means, your dd should continue dance for as long as it makes her happy.

I am not a natural dancer. I am not a graceful dancer. I am, in fact, not a very good dancer AT ALL. I'm one of those really enthusiastic but really BAD dancers. The ones that are painful to watch. BUT, despite all that, I dance 3-4 hours a week, and have done so for almost 10 years now. Dance is a lifetime sport. It is good exercise, it is fun, and dancers are, in my experience, very friendly and supportive to anyone who is willing to put the work in and give it a try.

My son was on the swim team. Long story, but, well, he was 16 and they put him with the 8 year olds. Because we all agreed that was where he belonged. And it was a struggle for him to keep up with them. BUT, for two years he swam 3-5 times a week, and by the end, he was a respectable swimmer. Never went beyond "exhibition" heats at swim meets. Often a lap behind everyone else. But he learned that he could tackle something he knew nothing about, that there was no shame in starting at the bottom (or with the 8 year olds), and that if he worked hard he could make significant improvements in his skills. It was a life-changing experience. He is now spending his summer teaching swimming to younger kids. And he has learned the skills to practice this sport for the rest of his life.

I have three girls in dance. One is a complete natural and the other two try hard. They all love it and the teacher encourages them and makes them all work hard. I ask my girls every season do you want to keep doing this or is there something else you want to do. They have all wanted to keep going. I have seen so much improvement in my non-naturals. It makes me proud.

It's the same with drawing. One of my kids is a real natural. Drawing well since he was 3. Two of my girls were pretty good at it and another one was just ok. All have progressed to being almost to par with my natural kid. I think you can become good at most things with enough practice.

I try not to discourage them from working hard at anything.

It is so hard to deal with people who have the philosophy that it is only worth time and money to have a child involved in an activity if the child is a natural at it or is the best at it. My mother is that way, and that is how I was raised, and I never could figure out how I was supposed to be good at something before I was taught how to do it. It never made sense to me, and as a result, I was not allowed to take lessons or participate in activities. Evidently I had no natural ability at anything (ok, as an adult I know that is not true, but that is what was communicated to me as a child).

But dh and I allow our dc to participate in activities that they enjoy. If they want to try a sport or activity, and it is reasonable to do so, we let them. How else can they discover abilities they didn't know they had, and how else will they learn that they are good at something unless they try? There is such value in that, and they learn a lot, even if they won't ever use that skill or activity as a career when they become adults. There are life lessons they learn and it's okay to do an activity just because they enjoy it. Adults need hobbies, too, and a childhood activity or lessons can lead to an adult hobby. We don't care if our dc are the best, or if they always get the part they audition for, or if they always place first. That's not the goal. The goal is that they learn and get better at what they are learning.

Good for you for keeping your cool this time! There may come a day when you can express your beliefs to your mother. Maybe she will understand and realize that there is no need to be a natural or the best in order to enjoy dancing.

I am all for kids doing things they enjoy or are challenging even if they will never excel at them. But also, you never know. My dd11 has been taking ballet since age 3. I never, ever felt she was going to be a great ballerina but it was so good for her and we encouraged her to continue. About a year ago she said to me "I know I'm one of the worst in the class but I don't care because I am determined to dance on pointe and then I'll quit." (:)). Well strangely enough her teachers now keep telling me that she has natural ability and will do great. I don't know if she does or will but she loves it and is a hard worker. The best thing they said on her report this year was 'her work ethic is beyond fantastic'

I agree with you. There are benefits to be gained by participating in activities you enjoy but that most likely won't become vocations. The percentage of people who are able to make a living at activities like sports, dance, music, etc...even if gifted at it is very small. (Though there are always those who find alternate ways to turn things they enjoy into a job...like teaching instead of performing or opening a shop selling equipment for their passion, etc...)

I did many activities growing up...dance, gymnastics, piano, soccer, swimming, etc.. I didn't end up making any into a job but I know I benefitted in different ways from doing them. I made friends, got exercise, learned different skills sets, and had a lot of fun with each.

For me, there are limits. I have let my kids try many different kinds of activities but am only willing to put more time and money into those they are passionate about AND are good at. I mean, I would not change my lifestyle to be able to afford something they just liked. I think it is a matter of needs.

If they aren't all that great at something, their needs are easily met in our local community taking dance lessons at a local studio or playing on the community football team. But if they excel and their needs are no longer easily met nearby, I am willing to take them and pay more to have their needs met outside the community. Also, if they didn't excel at whatever it was initially but worked hard at it and suddenly their needs were no longer met at the local level, I would take them somewhere else. It is more a cost/benefit ratio for me because resources are limited for us.

I am not a natural dancer. I am not a graceful dancer. I am, in fact, not a very good dancer AT ALL. I'm one of those really enthusiastic but really BAD dancers. The ones that are painful to watch. BUT, despite all that, I dance 3-4 hours a week, and have done so for almost 10 years now. Dance is a lifetime sport. It is good exercise, it is fun, and dancers are, in my experience, very friendly and supportive to anyone who is willing to put the work in and give it a try.

My son was on the swim team. Long story, but, well, he was 16 and they put him with the 8 year olds. Because we all agreed that was where he belonged. And it was a struggle for him to keep up with them. BUT, for two years he swam 3-5 times a week, and by the end, he was a respectable swimmer. Never went beyond "exhibition" heats at swim meets. Often a lap behind everyone else. But he learned that he could tackle something he knew nothing about, that there was no shame in starting at the bottom (or with the 8 year olds), and that if he worked hard he could make significant improvements in his skills. It was a life-changing experience. He is now spending his summer teaching swimming to younger kids. And he has learned the skills to practice this sport for the rest of his life.

May I just say, your son rocks! :thumbup:

I hear you. She's also in gymnastics and learning baseball. And training to be a Jedi Knight (does that count as a sport? ;) )

Jedi is more of a lifestyle than a sport, but yes it counts. :D

I get you with the family comments too. I have chills going up my spine right now, because it brings up some bad memories. Growing up we never had money for sports, lessons, etc. I think there was an assumption with my parents that those were things other peoples' families did, not ours, because we weren't good at sports or dance. Well we never got a chance to try.

I was thinking about this just yesterday, mostly I'm over it, but it still kind of stings. I inherited a piano, I wanted to learn to play so badly, I thought myself. My parents bought me a tiny keyboard one year and it came with 6 lessons. It turned into such a hassle getting me to those lessons, it was like an inconvenience driving me there (Mom didn't drive). So I didn't go back for the last one. The teacher had said I was good and probably would have coached me into real piano lessons. But you know music was something my family just didn't "do".

My mom used to like to tell people I taught myself how to play piano. Well I did, but I also topped out my ability, I'm not good enough to play but for myself, and now I'm way out of practice.

I know part of the mentality was the subconscious midwest stubbornness that if you want something done, do it yourself. There didn't seem to be an acknowledgement that it was good to sit under someone else's authority and expertise.

So now I've written a book.....Anyway, stick to your guns. Most people are naturally gifted, most people just work really hard for years. As long as she enjoys it, let her dance.

I know that I've learned MORE when I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone. I've tried to encourage that in DD, and when she's found something out of that comfort zone, I'm all for it. There is enough that she's good at that she NEEDS to have some activities where she struggles a bit so she has the feeling of accomplishment and of developing skill. And when she's proud of herself for walking across the big balance beam by herself for the first time, it doesn't matter that she's doing that at 6 when her cousin did it at 3.

I know that I've learned MORE when I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone. I've tried to encourage that in DD, and when she's found something out of that comfort zone, I'm all for it. There is enough that she's good at that she NEEDS to have some activities where she struggles a bit so she has the feeling of accomplishment and of developing skill. And when she's proud of herself for walking across the big balance beam by herself for the first time, it doesn't matter that she's doing that at 6 when her cousin did it at 3.

That is a wonderful point. I am horrid about pushing myself out of my comfort zone, even as an adult. It has made for some very cowardly moments in my life, seriously. But I was NEVER pushed or challenged as a child.

Thanks, dmmetler. I was just sitting moping after my last post, thinking my child was growing up like me as he's not into sports or music, etc, and we don't have money for lessons either. . I think you hit on a key point I had not seen. I can still push him past his comfort level, and I have in the past, into something he can accomplish. I have some ideas how to accomplish that (as my coffee engages my brain). Thank you.

You are right. Let dd do what she wants to do. I saw a lot of children who were 'not gifted' at Taekwondo become exceptional martial artists when I was in TKD.

I'd nip your mother's negativity in the bud. Make her understand that topic is off limits. :grouphug:

From Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast (Bill Richardson):

Many people have had this experience, I think, especially where music is concerned. We become steeped in the notion that if we can't excel, there's little point in pursuit.

I have regularly likened my music studies to learning a second language as an adult: No matter how much I practice, facility eludes me, and my "accent" is unmistakable.

And yet I derive so much pleasure from the pursuit! Moreover, my studies have enhanced my daughters' studies: Their practice sessions are informed by my empathy and my understanding, however limited, of what can be gained through repetition, diligence, and earnest effort. And while my own execution may splutter and collide, I do understand what is written on the page. I can remind them of dynamics and time and key signatures. I can hear a note that seems off. I can suggest alternate "attacks" on difficult passages. I can guide and gently correct. And though their technical skill far outstrips mine, I match -- and occasionally exceed -- their enthusiasm for a challenge. This enlivens our studies.

(Related aside: I often wonder how music students fare in homes in which the parents dutifully schedule and pay for music lessons but play no active role in the practice (beyond periodic nagging). I would imagine that sans a real gift for music, a student without meaningful support at home must struggle with the seemingly unrewarding rigors of practice.)

To answer my own question, then, the pursuit is the point. I suspect, though, that, family dynamics aside, your mother may be speaking from a place where resources -- time, talent, and treasure -- were distributed carefully. I know that in my own childhood home, there simply were not enough resources to pursue activities simply because we were interested. Even when we demonstrated aptitude or talent, we were routinely told, "No," which meant, "There is no time or money for this."

It wasn't difficult, then, to discern the subtext when my mother commented on my daughters' art projects, pointing out that one daughter was a "real" artist. (Subtext: The other is not. Why are you spending time and money on classes and supplies for her?) Rather than bristle at her ignorance, I told her that art was objective and moved on to other subjects.

As it turns out, both are artists. One daughter simply took longer to harness her ability. Can you imagine how it would have stunted her interest and skill if I had adopted my mother's philosophy?

I agree with Abbeyj, though, that you must not dismiss your mother's thinking entirely: There is little to be lost and much to be gained by regularly assessing your child's interest in a pursuit. Several years ago, my daughters were acquainted with a girl who loathed swimming. Her mother routinely described her battles with the girl over it. One day, after the girl dragged herself out of the pool -- last -- and stomped past her mother without a word, her mother began narrating afresh her struggles to get the kid to practice, to meets, etc. I replied, "Well, no question, she hates it." The mother went silent. It was as if this was the first time the idea had occurred to her. Next season? The kid wasn't registered.

(And, yes, I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt: Did I have something to do with this? But then I think, no. It wasn't as if I said, "She hates swimming, ya' ninny! Why do you make her do it?" Right? Right. Not my fault.)

Anyway, if your daughter loves to dance, then the pursuit is the point for her.

Edited by Mental multivitamin
clarity

As the mom of two enthusiastic but untalented dancers, I'd ignore your mom. My kids like to dance. As long as they want to go and do their best, I'm willing to sign them up. I've noticed that they have become more flexible and have better control of their bodies just from the hour a week beginning classes they do.

At recital this year, I was seated in front of an elderly couple who couldn't believe there were 3 boys in ds's class. They were loudly commenting on how their mothers must have made them take the class. Umm, no, ds asked to take the class instead of hip hop. He really enjoys it.

May I just say, your son rocks! :thumbup:

Yeah, we think so. :D I remember the incredible pride I felt and his amazing sense of accomplishment when, after two years of swimming, he swam a race (er, exhibition heat), and WAS NOT LAST!!! You'd have thought he had been state champion the way we celebrated that one!!!

We drove an hour round trip in rush hour 3-5 times a week to get him to/from practice for2+ years. It was so worth it.

Gold star for you, definitely! :D

My oldest plays hockey. He's a spindly little thing with no aggressive bone in his body (he's much like myself - I never did well with contact sports). He's not coordinated or athletic in any way really.

Last year, he started playing Mites, and was towards the bottom of the team (he was barely able to make the team). He worked SO hard that year though, and paid attention to what the coaches were teaching him. He's actually really good at the techniques being taught, but he uses them in slow motion. Some of the kids that are "naturals" end up ignoring the techniques being taught, and they won't be able to do well in the long run because they won't have that foundation of skills.

Towards the end of the year, my son came home from practice one night and announced that he had skated fast! DH and I were so thrilled! And DH (one of the coaches) said something turned on and he figured out that skating fast was actually fun. :D

All that hard work to develop the muscles to skate faster has paid off outside of hockey too. He interacts with other people better, having learned to at least be a tiny bit aggressive to go after the puck (another night of celebration, the first time he went after it against someone else). It's been an all around confidence builder and has been so good for him. Will he ever play in the NHL? Nope. College hockey? Highly doubtful. :lol: But is he having fun playing a sport he really enjoys? Absolutely! That's the important thing. I'm not going to force him to stick with his strengths - just doing math team or something. If he wants to play a sport, he can, even if he isn't athletic. The point is to have fun and learn something!

My mom was like that. Drives nuts.

BUT-- hubby was encouraged to try anything and everything. I mean everything. If HE decided he didn't like it, he didn't have to continue (after the class was over-- he was required to stick it out until it was up for renewal).

As a result, he has so many interests, and is generally successful at everything he tries. He is no expert, but able to do just about anything he tries.

He says he's a "little bit good at everything" because his parents let him find that something he is excited about...

Me? I cant do anything. LOL

I didn't read all the other responses....but your DD is fine in ballet! DD7 played soccer when she was 4 and 5. She got out there, she ran, usually away from the ball, and smiled. I asked her if she wanted to play the next season and she said yes. I was proud of her....who cares if she's running away from the ball or towards it. :D