Menu

As a parent and/or a homeschooler, is it your job to

Dh and I are both patriotic so we model patriotism in many ways: honoring our troops, pledging our allegiance to the flag, speaking respectfully of our president whether we voted for him or not, praying for our country, going to Memorial Day services. We also model thoughtful debate and dialog about the political process, important political figures and issues that come up in the current news as well as thoughtful discussion of past events and figures and issues either in our schoolwork or as it pertains to our current situation.

:hurray:

This describes our family, too.

I don't think our children could grow up not loving our country. Heck, I can't even make it through The Star Spangled Banner without tearing up. :)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowhere is it mandated that recitation of the Pledge is a patriotic requirement ~ but plenty of people/places over the years have indeed required said recitation. The understanding being that one who declines to participate in the Pledge is, indeed, unpatriotic (read: disloyal and un-American).You're right. That is a problem. It is a problem when not conveying "pride" in this country is, in the eyes of many, tantamount to treason. But that's indeed what those of us who aren't properly "patriotic" deal with, thanks to the nationalism (or jingoism, as pqr would have it) that permeates much patriotism.

But we aren't discussing a duty or responsibility to inculcate nationalism in children. We are discussing patriotism. While it is a shame that those on either side of the divide have chosen to improperly define patriotism that doesn't lessen the need to discuss patriotism for what it really is nor does it excuse anyone on either side.

I have issues with pledging the flag. We don't.

I have issues with my government, but I love my country. I know my children have a love of country, but it is not because I am teaching them to be "patriotic"--more like it's right to defend that which God has given us, and to protect the safety and well-being of innocents around us in order to be a Christian example. I do not believe in spreading the cause of liberty, or nation-building, or partisan politics. I believe in God. Where my nation's values line up with His, I can support it. When they don't, I use the power of my vote to state my opinion.

Job? No. But dh and I are both patriotic so we model patriotism in many ways: honoring our troops, pledging our allegiance to the flag, speaking respectfully of our president whether we voted for him or not, praying for our country, going to Memorial Day services. We also model thoughtful debate and dialog about the political process, important political figures and issues that come up in the current news as well as thoughtful discussion of past events and figures and issues either in our schoolwork or as it pertains to our current situation.

:iagree:What Jean said. I don't consider it a job but rather a privilege to do this.

I have issues with my government, but I love my country. I know my children have a love of country, but it is not because I am teaching them to be "patriotic"--more like it's right to defend that which God has given us, and to protect the safety and well-being of innocents around us in order to be a Christian example. I do not believe in spreading the cause of liberty, or nation-building, or partisan politics. I believe in God. Where my nation's values line up with His, I can support it. When they don't, I use the power of my vote to state my opinion.

:iagree: This is about what where we stand too. We also don't pldege to the flag, for religious reasons.

I particularly liked the bolded. Technically, in my religion, we are encouraged not to vote. But I don't view this as something we are able to actually put into practice.

Really? How about Canada?

So you want to speak about freedom of speech in Canada? Freedom as listed in your Constitution or perhaps as decided by groups such as your various Human Rights Commissions which seem to limit that freedom to a degree that we do not have in this nation.

So you want to speak about freedom to protect one's family. Your government has stated that it does not trust its citizens oops I mean subjects to defend themselves.

You really feel that you have more freedoms in Canada than we do in the States. Specifically which ones?

As to Australia much ths same as in Canada except I believe you do not even have the freedom NOT to vote.

Anyway this gets off the discussion of raising children to love and revere their nation.

I find the mocking coming from Australia about patriotism rather sad.

As to those fellow Americans let me ask you this; Do you not get a lump in your throat when you see our servicemen and read of their courage, do you not get a little misty eyed when listening to our national anthem and thinking about what it means, do you not feel a swell of pride when you see our flag flying? Do you not feel cold fury when you see our flag desecrated by frenzied mobs in the far corners of the world? If you do not then I feel a little sorry for you.

So you want to speak about freedom of speech in Canada? Freedom as listed in your Constitution or perhaps as decided by groups such as your various Human Rights Commissions which seem to limit that freedom to a degree that we do not have in this nation.

So you want to speak about freedom to protect one's family. Your government has stated that it does not trust its citizens oops I mean subjects to defend themselves.

You really feel that you have more freedoms in Canada than we do in the States. Specifically which ones?

Its called the Charter of Rights And Freedoms, not the constitution.

I'm not one for the whole, 'my country is better than yours' nonsense. I was merely pointing out that other countries are as free as the US.

But, furthering this discussion is a waste of time, b/c you're obviously not interested in anything that may have you consider anywhere as equal to the US, so I'm not going to waste time and energy.

Enjoy your evening. :001_smile:

Oh, don't mind us. It's un-Australian not to mock patriotism, you see. Really, truly, we are patriotic, it just doesn't look like it from the outside. That's why we're making ourselves laugh here, mocking patriotism is a show of patriotism. Sometimes "you have to be there" to understand our sense of humour.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

\

A Texan farmer goes to Australia for a vacation. There he meets an Aussie farmer and gets talking. The Aussie shows off his big wheat field and the Texan says, "Oh! We have wheat fields that are at least twice as large".

Then they walk around the ranch a little, and the Aussie shows off his herd of cattle. The Texan immediately says, " We have longhorns that are at least twice as large as your cows".

The conversation has, meanwhile, almost died when the Texan sees a herd of kangaroos hopping through the field. He asked, "And what are those"?

The Aussie replies with an incredulous look, "Don't you have any grasshoppers in Texas"?

Edited by Peela

As to those fellow Americans let me ask you this; Do you not get a lump in your throat when you see our servicemen and read of their courage, do you not get a little misty eyed when listening to our national anthem and thinking about what it means, do you not feel a swell of pride when you see our flag flying?

I'm sentimental. I get that lump in my throat when I listen to virtually any national anthem.

Do you not feel cold fury when you see our flag desecrated by frenzied mobs in the far corners of the world?

No, I don't. Rather, I feel simultaneously amused and mortified when I attend a local event and sit next to a guy whose Harley vest sports the flag accompanied by the warning, "Try burning THIS one, a*shole!".

If you do not then I feel a little sorry for you.

No worries. Reserve your pity for those who truly need it.

Oh, don't mind us. It's un-Australian not to mock patriotism, you see. Really, truly, we are patriotic, it just doesn't look like it from the outside. That's why we're making ourselves laugh here, mocking patriotism is a show of patriotism. Sometimes "you have to be there" to understand our sense of humour.

:)

Rosie

:iagree: plus it is so much fun stirring up the patriotic Americans. Haven't laughed so much in days

As to Australia much ths same as in Canada except I believe you do not even have the freedom NOT to vote.

Never voted in my life. Just because it states that voting is compulsry doesn't mean that you have to vote.

I find your seriousness amusing. Us Aussies can never be serious about something like patriotism.

Definitely not my job, duty, privaledge or anything else to instill a sense of patriotism in my children.

They are smart and intuitive. I trust that once exposed to the truth they can make their own call on the subject and I will then honour that perspective. \

e

I'm sentimental. I get that lump in my throat when I listen to virtually any national anthem.

No, I don't. Rather, I feel simultaneously amused and mortified when I attend a local event and sit next to a guy whose Harley vest sports the flag accompanied by the warning, "Try burning THIS one, a*shole!".

No worries. Reserve your pity for those who truly need it.

Ah, Colleen, I love when you check in :D

I like and admire some things about the U.S., but I'm not a patriot. (I don't cry or become enraged about flag burning, because the flag is not sacrosanct or an idol to me. It's just a symbol of an imperfect nation, that's good in some ways, and really awful in other ways.)

I was just telling dh it's too bad there doesn't exist some international exchange where disgruntled citizens of different nations could offer to trade their respective citizenships, and thereby forego the 5,7,8, 10, etc., year waits to gain citizenship in a new country.

I'm sure there has to be at least one Canadian, Norwegian, Finnish, Swiss, or German national out there who wants to live in the U.S., and who I could switch citizenship with. They could have my U.S. citizenship and my Texas birth certificate, along with it. :glare:

You know what's creepy about Texas public schools? They have the children pledge allegiance to the Texas state flag, in addition to the U.S. flag.

You know what's creepy about Texas public schools? They have the children pledge allegiance to the Texas state flag, in addition to the U.S. flag.

Ahh, for that to be the worst thing wrong with our public schools.....

Its called the Charter of Rights And Freedoms, not the constitution.

:rofl::smilielol5:

Oh, you poor Canuckians. Living day in, and day out under a terrible regime. You're so oppressed, how do you stop yourselves from crossing the 1000+ mile U.S.-Canadian border, en masse?

Especially since most of it seems to be guarded by nothing more than a couple of mounties and some odd firetrucks.

If only your country would just stop having better education, way less crime, far fewer prisons, legalized cannabis, longer life spans, free health care, and a stronger economy, I'm sure you'd also find the U.S. to be the superior democratic brand in North America.

Ahh, for that to be the worst thing wrong with our public schools.....

I didn't say "worst." I just said "creepy." :tongue_smilie:

The pledge (for those unfamiliar):

I pledge allegiance to thee,

Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.

I have not read the whole thread, so I'm probably repeating at least several other posters. :tongue_smilie:

I feel it's my job to communicate/explain the importance of appreciating history and sacrifices that have been made and continue to be made for our benefit, as well as those that have been made with *intent* to benefit, even if we may disagree with the specific actions.

I have taught the Pledge of Allegiance, but we don't actually pledge. I am not patriotic in the sense that I think my country is the best country in the world. I've never lived anywhere else, so what do I know? I appreciate my freedoms, including the right to complain about my non-freedoms. My children are too young to pledge allegiance to anything, imo.

I'm doing my best to raise my kids with a healthy balance of idealism and cynicism, all wrapped up in respect.

I guess the term patriotic makes me bristle. I want my kids to be kind and thoughtful human beings who respect other cultures/countries/the environment etc. I think they should be good citizens. But it's up to them if they feel patriotic or not. My husband is not a citizen of the US so this influences the vibe in our home as well.

This is more how I feel about it.

I tend to think that if I do a good job teaching my kids about Canada, how it works and it's history, they'll end up patriotic. I want to instill a sense of civic duty though, which I feel is different from patriotism. Patriotism for the sake of patriotism? I sort of think that leads into dangerous things like nationalism and crappy, sappy Tim Horton's commercials.

Besides, grand shows of loving you country are simply embarrassing. Any citizen of a commonwealth nation, with our uptight and reserved English roots, knows this. With this in mind Americans should note that an Aussie, NZer or Canuck saying their country is "pretty good," is displaying the commonwealth equivilent of an American waving a flag, screaming the anthem and shooting off red, white and blue fireworks.:D

Oh, you poor Canuckians. Living day in, and day out under a terrible regime. You're so oppressed, how do you stop yourselves from crossing the 1000+ mile U.S.-Canadian border, en masse?

Especially since most of it seems to be guarded by nothing more than a couple of mounties and some odd firetrucks.

If only your country would just stop having better education, way less crime, far fewer prisons, legalized cannabis, longer life spans, free health care, and a stronger economy, I'm sure you'd also find the U.S. to be the superior democratic brand in North America.

:lol::lol:

This is an excellent question!

This is a "values question", similar to the questions often posed to parents about whether or not they should raise a child in a specific religion.

So I truly think that the deeper question, for parents to resolve first, is

Is it your job, as a parent, to instil and encourage a specified set of values within your child(ren) while they are under your care, or is it your job to present disparate pieces of information and leave them to draw their own conclusions and construct their own belief system?

In the language of academic subject learning/teaching, is it better to work toward an answer inductively, or deductively?

DH and I have our own answer to what I am calling here "the deeper question", and it derives from the overarching source of values to which we adhere.

P.S. I just read WendyK's very well-expressed post below mine. I'm returning to underscore that values must be presented simultaneously with their origins, meanings, and implications, else they will be naught but hollow forms and rituals.

instill a sense of patriotism in your children? Or is it only your job to present facts and history, as well as exposure to places and people, so that your child can eventually (hopefully?) develop patriotic feelings independently?
Edited by Orthodox6

You forgot same sex marriage too. Talk about freedoms! :tongue_smilie:

I tend to think that if I do a good job teaching my kids about Canada, how it works and it's history, they'll end up patriotic. I want to instill a sense of civic duty though, which I feel is different from patriotism. Patriotism for the sake of patriotism? I sort of think that leads into dangerous things like nationalism and crappy, sappy Tim Horton's commercials.

Besides, grand shows of loving you country are simply embarrassing. Any citizen of a commonwealth nation, with our uptight and reserved English roots, knows this. With this in mind Americans should note that an Aussie, NZer or Canuck saying their country is "pretty good," is displaying the commonwealth equivilent of an American waving a flag, screaming the anthem and shooting off red, white and blue fireworks.:D

Hey now...Tim Hortons *is* one of our national treasures! :D

I was trying to think of why the term makes me bristle. It's basically this...

Growing up in school we were required to stand everyday and pledge allegiance to a flag. We were taught and sang patriotic songs. We were required to stand when the anthem was played and told it was a big no no if we didn't. If we didn't say the pledge that was also a big no no. The group frowned. Anything else and one is a godless deviant uncaring rude freak.

Now we were required to do all of that without being taught anything about WHY we were doing it. We weren't taught much history. The very little we were taught was always cast in a light to make the US look like they were always right and the greatest in the world.

I'm sorry, but how does that not reek like something akin to the Nazi party forcing people to express their allegiance to Hitler (salute me, but don't dare ask why)?

Now I don't feel this is the intention of all Americans. I don't know that I believe it is a conspiracy exactly. But why don't more people ask why they are doing it and what it really means? And why require/force allegiance in a so called free country?

That said all the attempted brainwashing obviously didn't work for me. And as a kid I liked singing the songs. I liked that Yankee Doodle stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni. :lol: So perhaps it's all in team spirit fun and I'm just being a pip about it.

I think that's what gets me too. When people ask about patriotism 9 times out of ten they've asking about the showy bits, not the deeper things that go along with it.

Flag burning is the perfect demonstration of this. A lot of people see the flag as the symbol of what their country stands for. It always seemed to me that having and sometimes exercising the freedom to burn that flag was a deeper act of patriotism and showed a better understanding of a person's connection to their democracy then actually just flying a flag on the front porch.

I'm a citizen since I was born here. My kids are citizens in two countries simply by being born to 2 people who happen to be citizens in two different countries. Why is the "patriotism" automatic?

This is our situation. We also all have right of residence in a third country.

Laura

Oh, you poor Canuckians. Living day in, and day out under a terrible regime. You're so oppressed, how do you stop yourselves from crossing the 1000+ mile U.S.-Canadian border, en masse? Especially since most of it seems to be guarded by nothing more than a couple of mounties and some odd firetrucks.

They come here all the time. To shop. To drive poorly on our highways. And to leave their garbage and old clothes in mall parking lots so they don't have to pay duty. Oh and to stiff the waitstaff when they eat in our restaurants. :lol:

Edited by unsinkable

They come here all the time. To shop. To drive poorly on our highways. And to leave their garbage and old clothes in mall parking lots so they don't have to pay duty. Oh and to stiff the waitstaff when they eat in our restaurants. :lol:

:blink: I think the Canadian gov't (nanny state that we are) needs to set up a spanking station for those of us that behave so badly when we visit you guys.

Yikes.

:blink: I think the Canadian gov't (nanny state that we are) needs to set up a spanking station for those of us that behave so badly when we visit you guys.

Yikes.

I know it is a miniscule percentage of your awesome citizens! (and mostly Ontarians, at that!) :D

Some malls did set up clothing donation stations so people could give to the needy instead of just dumping.

I know it is a miniscule percentage of your awesome citizens! (and mostly Ontarians, at that!) :D

Some malls did set up clothing donation stations so people could give to the needy instead of just dumping.

That explains everything (says the Nova Scotian). :D

Proud with ancestors coming over in 16/1700s. They have fought and bled in every major war. They have tilled the soil, sweated in the factories, and fed their families from this soil. They have voted and improved their lifestyles in each successive generation. They prayed & pledged & read the papers to stay current.

Yes, very patriotic. Yes, modeling it, explaining it, and gently instilling it. If they aren't interested in the sacrifices and symbol of their ancestors and the incredible history of their state and nation... then I haven't done my job & they will make awful citizens.

If my nation is going the wrong way (and it is & has often), then it is my job to work hard to turn it around. (fortunately, I live in one of the few nations in the world where people DO have a voice still). To vote, to run for office.. to shout from the rooftops.

If they aren't willing to fight for their family, their plot of ground, their state, their country.... with words, with guns, or with an army.... then they will not stand their ground in much of anything. (fight as in protect, not nation building - that is a political discussion)

Laura

But parents in other countries ALSO raise children to be people of good character who embrace the ideals of freedom, justice and equality.

Having grown up in a totalitarian state, I am VERY appreciative of these three ideas - but America does not have the monopoly.

I don't remember saying that they did. I don't think teaching my children those ideals means that I'm saying all other countries don't have those ideals. That is ridiculous logic.

I teach American history too. That doesn't mean no other country on the planet has a history.

Proud with ancestors coming over in 16/1700s. They have fought and bled in every major war. They have tilled the soil, sweated in the factories, and fed their families from this soil. They have voted and improved their lifestyles in each successive generation. They prayed & pledged & read the papers to stay current.

Yes, very patriotic. Yes, modeling it, explaining it, and gently instilling it. If they aren't interested in the sacrifices and symbol of their ancestors and the incredible history of their state and nation... then I haven't done my job & they will make awful citizens.

If my nation is going the wrong way (and it is & has often), then it is my job to work hard to turn it around. (fortunately, I live in one of the few nations in the world where people DO have a voice still). To vote, to run for office.. to shout from the rooftops.

If they aren't willing to fight for their family, their plot of ground, their state, their country.... with words, with guns, or with an army.... then they will not stand their ground in much of anything. (fight as in protect, not nation building - that is a political discussion)

AMEN! :iagree:

Very much agree!

Really?

I would never have guessed.

With songs such as Rule Britannia

The nations, not so blest as thee,

Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall;

While thou shalt flourish great and free,

The dread and envy of them all.

"Rule, Britannia! rule the waves:

"Britons never will be slaves."

Or The British Grenadier

Some talk of Alexander, and some of Hercules

Of Hector and Lysander, and such great names as these.

But of all the world's great heroes, there's none that can compare.

With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, to the British Grenadiers.

Those heroes of antiquity ne'er saw a cannon ball,

Or knew the force of powder to slay their foes withal.

But our brave boys do know it, and banish all their fears,

Sing tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the British Grenadiers.

Or Land of Hope and Glory

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,

How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;

God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet,

God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

Hymns such as Jerusalem

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green

And was the holy lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seenĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

I will not cease from mental fight

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land

Poems such as Kiplings The English Flag

Winds of the World, give answer! They are whimpering to and fro --

And what should they know of England who only England know? --

The poor little street-bred people that vapour and fume and brag,

They are lifting their heads in the stillness to yelp at the English Flag!....

Former Celebrations such as Empire Day

I also remember watching footage of the Royal Navy Flotilla sailing south to kick the snot out of the Argentineans in Ă¢â‚¬â„¢82 and then returning. There was plenty of vocal pride and patriotism.

So I might differ there is plenty of patriotism among some members of the Commonwealth.

Many Australians I know, glow with pride especially on ANZAC Day and so they should.

Love of country is a good thing, pride in her and belief in her is wonderful. People who do not have this are, in my view, missing something.

Job? No. But dh and I are both patriotic so we model patriotism in many ways: honoring our troops, pledging our allegiance to the flag, speaking respectfully of our president whether we voted for him or not, praying for our country, going to Memorial Day services. We also model thoughtful debate and dialog about the political process, important political figures and issues that come up in the current news as well as thoughtful discussion of past events and figures and issues either in our schoolwork or as it pertains to our current situation.

Job? No. Honor? Yes. Privilege? Yes.

Perhaps I don't have a good grasp of "patriotism", but this sounds pretty patriotic to me. Even if you don't say the pledge.:D

Here! Here! Well said. :hurray:

It is nice and reasonable to have a positive, healthy relationship with your heritage and your country, to respect it and to feel (to an extent) bound by it, to love it and find it dear - but feelings of serious pride should be reserved for one's own achievements rather than for the accidents of birth. It amounts to the same as being proud of having blue eyes or being born into a wealthy family - a pride regarding arbitrary characteristics or circumstances beyond one's control.

And we are still passionately, madly in love with our country, for the record. :D We absolutely do our best to transfer that passion onto our children - but that is different than misplaced pride.

I haven't read the other replies, but we see it as part of the values we are teaching our kids, so I would answer "yes". DH and I both come from families that migrated to Australia from communist Russia, originally, and we both feel incredibly fortunate that we are able to raise our children in this country, so it comes naturally to teach our kids to be loyal to their country.