Menu

How important are homeschooling conventions to you?

Kay in Cal

What is closest to your opinion about homeschooling conventions:  

1. 1. What is closest to your opinion about homeschooling conventions:

• Essential! I attend conventions regularly, and would never buy curriculum I hadn't previewed there.
    • Moderately important. I enjoy going and attend occasionally, but I make some choices elsewhere.
    • Optional. I've attended before, and got something out of it, but might not go regularly.
    • Absent. I've never attended a homeschool convention.
    • Awful! I've attended a convention before, and it was awful. Never again!

OK, in another thread I found it interesting that people were recommending not buying curriculum until after going to a convention and shopping and seeing it in person.

I have to say... I've never been to a convention! Nothing against them, but I just haven't had the need or inspiration to go to one. There are no good homeschool stores near me (though plenty of "teaching supply" stores). My homeschool group is made of mostly unschoolers, so there is very little I've been able to see before I bought. I go based on online samples and (cough) opinions and recommendations here. Of course, if SWB was coming to a convention near me I might try to make it...

So, how important are conventions to your homeschooling?

I voted Moderately important, but i do try to buy what i can there.

* I save shipping but pay taxes, even trade for me - lets my state get their share! My prop taxes are high enough thank. you. very. much.

* Some stuff - i do have to see before buying. Even with all my online looking, samples an opinions - it just helps to see it. And then other times, my needs are out of sync for buying there - which irritates me! LOL!!

That said, if i was HOURS from one - i may not go. I'm an hour from the FL one and it's HUGE. There are lots of great workshops/lectures to go to, and about everything you want to buy is there! Heck, my parents enjoy going, we are taking Great Grandma this year even :D

I voted moderately important... They are not essential to homeschooling, but you can get a lot of encouragement. You also get to see curriculum first hand and thumb through it! This is a plus...

You can sit in on workshops from vendors or speakers like SWB. The convention hall itself can be overwhelming too, but I think the positives out weigh the negatives.

Well I think some people are going to enjoy conventions more than others. I'm an extrovert, so it's like one big pep rally to me, terribly exciting and energizing to be with SO MANY people!!!! I LOVE going to conventions, working conventions, you name it. Yes, I even like working conventions! It's so much fun to talk to people, make new friends, etc. That said, if you're the type of person who doesn't like being around a lot of people or gets overwhelmed with lots of choices, I can see why you wouldn't enjoy it.

Obviously any time you can look over materials and talk to the authors you'll be more sure of your decision than just ordering blind or from limited samples. And conventions are a way to find little, unusual, new, or nifty things that aren't on the popular radar yet or may never be. Admittedly, if you hang out on the boards a lot, there isn't THAT much that's new when you go, lol. On the other hand, sometimes it's valuable to see things afresh, which you don't do if you constantly skip materials or websites due to your preconceived notions of how they work.

I think a lot of people skip conventions who would benefit from them.

I voted optional...I have attended twice in our state and was totally overwhelmed my first time...which was also my first year homeschooling.

Now, having found this board a few years ago, and having a better understanding of where I am headed with our school, I don't find it necessary. I would rather use the money I would have used on admission to purchase some of the things I need. I would go if there was someone I really wanted to hear speak though. I am looking forward to attending one in CA when we move.

I voted optional. I've gone twice and enjoyed listening to the speakers and checking out curriculum. I decided the last couple of years to skip it though because it didn't seem worth the 2 hour drive and a weekend away from home. Nowadays so much info is available online.

I don't go primarily to buy materials, but to study resources over and also to get ideas and motivation from the speakers.

I'm like OhElizabeth-- a people person. Conferences re-charge me. I didn't go this year and I really missed it. I do plan to go to another one, but just the vendor hall and vendor speakers. (This is because of cost).

I love working at conventions, too. I find them a nice change from the humdrum of life;o)

I'd like to go to a convention with a large variety of speakers and vendors. Unfortunately, in my area, that doesn't really seem to regularly be available. Every group offering conventions has some agenda they want to promote, seemingly. The convention scheduled for Atlanta this year looks FAB; SWB and JW are both going to be there, too. So, I go sometimes, especially if someone will be there who I'd like to see, but I've really pretty much looked at all the stuff out there and have a feel for the direction I want to go for future.

I think a lot of true bibliophiles like to go because until you actually can hold the books in your hand and look through them, it's harder to decide on what you want. Buying online or through a catalog, even with descriptions and sample pages, is just not the same....

And DD is in 6th grade this year, so I've been getting by without it for a long time.

At first I was able to depend on a great homeschooling library in an ISP, but that failed some years back. And, frankly, it was not all that helpful with curriculum choices; more with the convictions, the theories, the various approaches, and some of the ancillary 'subjects' (like a great old book on economics for the very early grades, for instance, or some cooperative games to check out.)

I have always benefitted a lot from the curriculum ideas on this board, but most of my homeschooling choices and dedication comes from reading rather than hearing speakers.

This year I went to my first conference for one reason and one reason only--because Susan Wise Bauer was presenting 5 times! 5 Times!!! It was awesome, and it was so nice to also be able to peruse some curricula that I had read about but not developed a sufficient sense of, such as the upper level VP books or Apologia.

Then at year end I got the bee in my bonnet that I really ought to consider a more overall plan for junior high, and to think about high school. (I have never intended to homeschool high school, but so far it seems that I keep going longer and longer without really planning on it, year by year.) I am terrified of really, really messing up if I homeschool past 7th grade, and we are almost there, so I went to the CHEA convention to look at curricula and learn about homeschooling high school. I also hoped to get DH a little more on board through this, but he caught a bug and missed the whole thing. Anyway, I did enjoy it, but am more confused and messed up than ever.

I don't think that conventions are essential to me. I would rather have a good homeschooling store, and maybe a coach--but I have yall for that! And, up until this year conventions have seemed like a luxury that I really couldn't justify. I am pretty frugal, and they are expensive even if you don't buy books there. And I know myself too well to even entertain the fantasy that I could go among all those books and not buy any!

I've never been to one and am really not terribly interested. I feel like - at home - I can research the things that are important to me and decide there, without the pressure of being in a convention hall. It really hasn't bothered me one bit to just research from home.

I have not been to one and we are just finishing our 4th year of homeschooling. We are no where near a homeschool bookstore now, so it would be nice to go and see curriculum, but I like to ponder my decisions. I think in a convention setting I'd spend too much money.

As ds approaches high school I wouldn't mind attending to help with transcripts and other college prep details. Otherwise they aren't that big of a deal to me.

I live in the Orlando area, and we have a huge convention within five miles of my house every year. However, it is hosted by the major state-wide homeschool association, a group with which I just don't click. Since I don't really like the organization, I'd rather not pay them an amount equal to their membership fees for the year just for the right to go browse the vendor hall. And, since I do not share the organization's world view, I have little interest in attending the scheduled presentations.

There is another state-wide organization that is trying to get off the ground and has its own not-exactly-convention every year. However, it is really tiny and intentionally anti-commercial. So, no vendors at all.

I've been to both events and enjoyed them to some small degree, but haven't felt it worth the time, effort or money to go back.

It's really a shame, because I have years when I am feeling terribly burned out and tired and desperately in need of the kind of inspiration and renewed enthusiasm that others seem to get out of going to such events. And I sometimes get very envious of that experience.

I've never been. The only local convention I'm aware of is Christian, so I don't think it would be worth my time.

I LOVE my state's convention. I went for the first time last year and here are some of the highlights.

As my 11yo ds and I were walking through the lobby of the convention center, Andrew Pudewa (IEW) was walking our direction. My son had just bought a hand-puppet in the vendor hall and was talking to me with it. I pointed out Mr. Pudewa to my son because we use IEW. He was so stunned to actually see him in person. Then Mr. Pudewa stopped and chatted with us and shook the puppet's hand - he was so sweet to my little boy which meant a LOT to him.

I met the author of a great book called Dark Enough to see the Stars in a Jamestown Sky - Connie Lapallo. She had a table set up in the lobby and during one of the workshop sessions I was able to sit and talk with her for at least 45 min. She was very kind and allowed me to pick her brain about the writing process. I highly recommend the book - her ancestors came to Jamestown in the early 1600's and it is about their first year during The Starving Time.

www.connielapallo.com

I really liked being able to pick up books and flip through them. I tried out several products I had seriously considered buying from the catalog description and found that they were not all they were cracked up to be. I saved a lot of money that way.

The best part was the fun it turned out to be for my older three children (ages 14-20 at the time). They loved the workshops (I let them pick whatever ones they wanted to attend) and were able to "hang out" with friends practically the whole time.

My two youngest were 11 and 8 and the time.

That said, I will add that I would have been miserable if I had had to keep track of a toddler or an infant. It was exhausting enough just to troop around with the youngest two. I saw many ladies there with strollers, diaper bags, crying babies and very tired faces. They might not have minded, but I sure would have in that situation. I'm not the energetic type.

Since we are able to purchase all the mp3 files of the workshops at the website after the convention and I think that would be the best way to go if you have very little ones. Of course, some women are very adventurous - but that is just not for me.

I blogged about my experience driving home from the convention at the association website. The first day ended with rather a "bang," to say the least. Spirituality Warning: If you are not a Christian, you will probably be offended by my post there. I, in no way, want to offend anyone, so feel free to skip it if you think it may not be for you:).

HTH,

I've only been to one, so I don't have a ton of experience. I also realize that to some people, all of the things I found to be repelling... some would find very attractive. I guess that's what makes homeschoolers all so different.

Ours was very crowded. It was held in a church. It made me terribly uncomfortable to see book sellers/temporary stores set up *inside* the church area. Granted, I don't share the same religious beliefs as the church that hosted, so I don't know their convictions. I don't want to be judgemental... it felt wrong to me. When salesmen gave their pitches from the altar, I felt weird. Granted their "church" was more like an auditorium than the intimate churches to which I am accustomed.

It was held on a Friday and Saturday. Having a convention on a weekday was challenging, especially since no children (except nursing babies) were allowed to attend. My husband had to take a vacation day to watch our children.

Getting to see all the curriculum in person is wonderful - but it was an expensive entry fee. I really think coming in to shop should not cost a family; they already plan to spend enough. It cost me $40 to enter, and that is far more than online shipping would be. The workshops leaned toward the preachy, very religious types. The main speaker was a well-known, fairly controversial-in-the-homeschool-circle person; I chose not to go. There were only 2 or 3 workshops that I felt applied to where I was in my family's homeschool journey.

All in all, I'm glad I went so I didn't always wonder what it was like. Unless it is reorganized, held separate from a church (or more neutral in its convictions), and free to shop... it isn't worthwhile to go back.

Now wasn't that a glowing review??? ;)

I enjoy going. Some decisions are made there, some not. I do enjoy all the shopping. I really like hearing the speakers.

I had a friend say last week that she doesn't feel at the end of her rope. She doesn't need to be encouraged so she doesn't go. I'm not at the end of my rope. I do not need to be encouraged, but I do come home very encouraged! I come home knowing again why I do this thing called homeschooling.

As soon as my local homeschool convention posts a date--I save it in my calendar. Conventions reenergize me and quite honestly, its nice to SEE that others do this tool Message boards are supportive, but talking with families at the convention validates me. :glare: Lastly, I love to browse the books--I am so convinced that homeschoolers love books.

My main reason for going to conventions is to hear the speakers and learn new information. I always learn something new, and find it well worth going for that reason. It's also very motivational to see so many other homeschoolers there.

The other reason is to preview materials. I don't buy much, but I use the time to figure out what curriculum I'm going to use for those subject areas that I still haven't figured out. If I'm all set for the following year, I preview materials 2-3 years ahead.

Our NH convention is small, but we are close enough that I've been to the large on in MA a few times.

It's interesting to go and see SO many home schoolers in one place! Makes you really see that we are not an island. *S*

I have enjoyed some of the speakers, learned some new things, and been able to put 'hands on' things I've wanted to see before buying. But I do not go every year. It's expensive and tough to coordinate time/schedules for everyone.

It's interesting to go and see SO many home schoolers in one place! Makes you really see that we are not an island.

I think for me - that was the HUGE thing the first year i went. It was soooo amazing to have so many people together from different walks of life and "faith" together. I talk to anyone that will talk to me - and i learn from them all!

I enjoyed the smaller Curriculum Fair they had in Gainesville in the past, but they aren't doing it any more. I just wasn't able to do ALL of my shopping there.

I hadn't really thought about the recharge aspect, but i think it does do that to me - re-centers my attention. Hurry up and get here thursday, i'm READY!!!!!!!!! :D

I love going to the conventions, though my pocketbook and dh don't. ;) There's nothing like holding a curriculum in your hands and looking over it before buying. That said, I only really enjoy the vendor tables and not all the speakers.

I attended exactly one home schooling convention. It was slanted overwhelmingly toward the dominant religious/cultural group of this region, so about half the presentations and vendors entirely excluded me. Needless to say, I wasn't highly impressed. I learn so much more from online resources, on my own schedule, at my fingertips, that I can't foresee my attending another IRL convention, whether religious-slanted or not.

Karen

Absent. Never been. I think OhElizabeth might have hit the nail on the head about the extroversion/introversion thing. I'm an introvert. Don't like crowds. Don't like "rah-rah" speeches. Heck, don't really like any kind of speeches. Know that I would probably buy impulse items.

That said, I think that I ultimately don't need conventions, because I get what I need from the comfort of my own home JUST FROM THIS BOARD. I can ask questions. Get feedback. Get links to sites that give product samples. I can peruse and study and mull over options at length. It works for me.

Conventions are just not my thing.

I've never been (though I've only been HSing for a couple years). We have a huge one about 15 min. from here, and I wouldn't mind going someday. I'd go this year if I could hear SWB on Friday, but I don't want to bring my kids or hire a sitter, and the Saturday sessions didn't appeal to me. I don't really want to shop there, I have everything I need and feel that buying more books would just complicate my process. I suppose if I'm feeling up to it this year I could just bring the kids and wander a bit.

They used to be important to me. But they're not anymore. Now I go only if there will be something or someone there I really, really, want to see or hear... there is nothing like talking to the author of a program to get straight answers to all your questions, and recommendations for how to best use a program. Notgrass History will be at my convention this year, so I might go see to see them. I enjoy visiting with people from publishers like Memoria Press, and the guy from Rainbow Science, etc. In that sense, it is motivating/encouraging becuase I'm connecting with real live people and I like keeping up with them from year to year... I genuinely enjoy getting to know these people (the way I like to keep in touch with everyone here).

SWB has been to our convention twice. She is definitely a "don't miss." There really are some good speakers out there who are worth their weight in gold... I've received some of my most important, valuable grounding from Rob Shearer and SWB. I can't imagine what my homeschool would look like if it weren't for their sessions. These boards haven't fulfilled that role to the same degree.

Going to meet Hank the Cowdog was fun, too :).

Moderately important.

I love to go to see what is out there, look at things for down the road, and for the encouragement & insight from any good speakers. (This past year I was at the Midwest Homeschool Convention and the speakers were the highlight for me!) A couple of my friends & I go together, so it is a special girls' weekend away that is just fun.

Regarding buying materials, it is nice to buy some things without shipping (especially things I can find at Amazon or other places like that). However, I like to buy used throughout the year and can get better deals that way.

I chose "essential" but only the first part of the statement is true for me. I have, and do, buy curriculum that I haven't seen. I like the convenience of shopping at convention, but that's not why I go...I go for the yearly "shot" that it gives me. I come away enthused about homeschooling and encouraged to continue. I learn new ideas...explore other concepts or curriculums that I might not otherwise even look at.

I went to two this year. Had to see Jessie Wise in Cincy and then hear John Stonestreet in Indy. I'm already saving for Cincy next year.

I just attended my first homeschool convention, after being one foot in HSing since Jan 2001 and actually homeschooling since Sept 2005.

Most years I'd felt, as other expressed, that my local convention was more narrowly focused than my own interests, and wasn't interested in attending.

This year, on the other hand, I was interested in several of the speakers and up to 10% of the vendors, and I really wanted to invest in myself as a homeschooler... so I decided to spend the money ($35) to attend.

I really enjoyed myself, partly because a good friend also decided to go on Saturday, and we attended together. As a bonus she was an experienced convention goer. We split up and attended different talks, comparing notes afterward. I took the advice once given here (I think) to feel free to slip in or out of a talk and not stay for the whole thing; that was definitely a good idea!

In the vendor hall I got a chance to examine some relatively costly materials and confirmed that I really do want to use them. I examined some other materials and discovered which would work best for us. I discovered some materials I'd never heard of, and was spurred to think through some different ideas that I hadn't considered.

Plus, I got to browse at the Miller Pads & Paper booth!

I returned home refreshed from a day spent on myself. My friend considers the conventions an investment in her homeschooling and in herself as the mom in a homeschool family. Now I understand... even though ours is not the "perfect" convention for me!

I'm looking forward to FPEA's convention (Florida) this week! I like to go get encouraged, inspired, motivated and see that we're not alone! (Last year there were about 15,000 people). I usually try have most of my curriculum for the next year already purchased before I go (from swap boards, etc.), but I like to "touch" and "feel" curriculum that I may use in the future (I'm always thinking ahead!). My husband likes to attend some of the workshops also. My boys like to go hang out at the nice resort. It's a win/win for everyone!

I've never been to the big conference in Houston. They have about 20 workshops and I wouldn't feel comfortable in any of them and I'm not that touchy. Our sales tax is a whopping 8.25% so it's usually a wash to order online and pay shipping or buy in person. I would love to go to a conference, but honestly, I'm sure I'd end up feeling isolated and excluded by this particular conference. So for my peace of mind, I just stay home.

I am so excited about SWB's visit to College Station. I've got my ticket, my dh has blocked the date on his calendar and I'm raring to go. It's all SWB all day!!!

If money was no object, I'd probably go yearly. I find it's a fun shot in the arm if you pick the right speakers/seminars to go to, and I really do like to see things in person if I can. I've only been able to go to a couple, but both helped me recharge and get new ideas.

Merry :-)