Menu

Favorite Teas

I would like to hear from everyone what flavor/type of tea they enjoy, and what health benefits you derive from it (i.e., relaxes you, gives you energy and so forth). Also, how do you prepare and drink it, hot or cold?

I'm drinking some jasmine green tea, and I've looking to experiment with different flavors. Got any recommendations, especially if it is helpful for anxiety? I tend to get all tied up in knots and it's hard to physically relax.

I appreciate your input!

There is so much potential for LOLz with this thread...

:lurk5:

You know, after the last half-dozen threads I involved myself in, I thought I would try my hand at something more...sedate?

Is that the word I'm looking for?

Also, you both are terrible spoil sports for not sharing what tea you drink.:glare:

My sister introduced me to this tea recently. She's had longstanding sleeping problems and she said it helps to calm her and have a better night sleep. You can read about Holy Basil here, and here.

The one my sister uses is this. But they have different blend using Holy Basil as main ingredient.

My favorite tea to drink for morning pick me up is Yorkshire Tea--a strong black tea I drink hot with milk.

My favorite iced tea (or, really, sun tea) is Tazo OM tea--a green/black tea flavored with cucumber and peach. Very refreshing.

My favorite bedtime relaxing teas are Numi's Rose Velvet, any Moroccan Mint, and an organic Blueberry Vanilla tea whose brand escapes me at the moment.

ETA: aha, it is Zhena's Gypsy Tea, Biodynmaic Blueberry Vanilla. VERY tasty with a touch of sugar. :D

Edited by Caitilin

I would like to hear from everyone what flavor/type of tea they enjoy, and what health benefits you derive from it (i.e., relaxes you, gives you energy and so forth). Also, how do you prepare and drink it, hot or cold?

I'm drinking some jasmine green tea, and I've looking to experiment with different flavors. Got any recommendations, especially if it is helpful for anxiety? I tend to get all tied up in knots and it's hard to physically relax.

I appreciate your input!

I like many types of tea, green, black and white. But I am especially fond of high quality Oolongs (which are a semi-fermented variety that's between fully fermented black tea and unfermented green tea).

Green Tea usually has less caffeine so maybe more relaxing?

Bill

You know, after the last half-dozen threads I involved myself in, I thought I would try my hand at something more...sedate?

I see you are relatively new to this board. You might want to do a search for "making teA". It's been used as a euphemism for, er... marital relations. As in, "When my dh and I make teA..."

(That's why you got some comments about where the thread might digress.)

At any rate, I like many of the TAZO teas and Yogi tea blends. In the winter I like spicy teas like cinnamon, in the summer I like green tea with lemon, watered down and iced.

I see you are relatively new to this board. You might want to do a search for "making teA". It's been used as a euphemism for, er... marital relations. As in, "When my dh and I make teA..."

(That's why you got some comments about where the thread might digress.)

At any rate, I like many of the TAZO teas and Yogi tea blends. In the winter I like spicy teas like cinnamon, in the summer I like green tea with lemon, watered down and iced.

So, what you're saying is I have actually started a smutty thread?

Geez, even when I am trying to behave myself, I still end up mud wrestling.

:huh:

So I will now ask the class to please not send me pictures of your favorite teas. Thank you.

I appreciate your input!

Best. newbie. blunder. ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for tea, I really only drink peppermint and I'm not particular about the brand. :tongue_smilie:

So I will now ask the class to please not send me pictures of your favorite teas. Thank you.

*snort*!! :lol:

I really love Barry's Irish Breakfast tea. It has a smooth quality I like and it reminds me of fun vacations to the Emerald Isle since the B&Bs we stayed at served it.

I like Plantation Mint in the winter and I also have a nice blend of loose leaf Chai from Teavana that is wonderful.

I love to sunbrew ice tea with a few bags of Raspberry Tea and a few bags of regular tea.

Not even if the pictures involve Johnny Depp???? :D:D:D:D

I'm a big hot tea drinker (I especially like it hot with Johnny Depp...wait, sorry, wrong tea) and when we're in the States, I buy my teas from Teavana. They have an excellent selection. There is an entire page of caffeine free teas that should suit your purposes. I'm not a big herbal tea fan, so I generally go for a Rooibos when I want caffeine free. I personally prefer white teas, which have a low caffeine content and an excellent flavor. Silver leaf is my favorite white tea. The body + mind white tea might be just what you're looking for to help relax.

In the mornings I like a nice strong black tea. My favorite of theirs is Strawberry Slender Pu-Erh. Pu-Ehr teas are good for weight loss, but I just like the way it tastes. Mate teas are good for stimulants if you don't want caffeine, but still want energy.

BTW, I never drink tea cold (it tastes weird cold) and I always use loose tea. Bag tea seems to have less flavor IMO. I think they make them with the left over bits at the bottom of the tea bins. :glare:

I like low caffeinated Madura Earl Grey Tea. It is Australian, and it is naturally low in caffeine. I have 2 cups every morning and I have it with milk and honey. I love Earl Grey teas because I love the bergamot flavouring- bergamot is a natural anti depressant :) . But I will also drink plain Madura.

I also like chai (milky tea with spices), vanilla rooibos, and dandelion coffee, all with milk and honey.

Herbals teas without milk- peppermint, and rose flavoured tulsi are my current favourites. I also like the earthy, green flavour of nettle tea, which is high in iron.

I discovered the other day when I was at my sister's house and wanted a hot drink to warm me up (in June! Grrrrr) and found she had no tea that just boiling water and drinking that gives me the exact same fix as drinking tea and is almost as good as coffee. So that's what I've been drinking lately.

Who woulda thunk it?

I like my tea hot with a little coconut oil. Knots are optional. :D

:cheers2:

As to the beverage, I gave up caffeine this winter so that limited my tea drinking. I like the seasonal/winter herbal or decaf blends from Celestial Seasonings--of course I can't remember the names now but there is a vanilla mint one that's super yummy and a great spiced blend.

We make sun tea with plain ol' decaf Lipton bags and one flavored herbal bag. Dh and the girls like lemon, I like peppermint, and ds will drink whatever is in the fridge.

Dh used to buy me tea from Teavana back when I was caffeinated :tongue_smilie: I'll have to investigate their herbal and decaf varieties in the fall.

And I was just thinking there is NO way I'd click on a link in this thread. :D

We are HUGE tea drinkers in this house. (Yes, actually brewed tea)... we have a tea collection! :)

We make Sweet Tea with just generic store-brand lipton-esque tea. We love Teavana tea (yes, its worth the expense)... Basically anything you get in that store is wonderful. We have a Matevana Roobios Chai (sp) now, and it is delicious. Don't remember the exact flavor but yum.

I love mint tea, and Earl Grey tea... and yeah, basically any kind of tea!! :)

I discovered the other day when I was at my sister's house and wanted a hot drink to warm me up (in June! Grrrrr) and found she had no tea that just boiling water and drinking that gives me the exact same fix as drinking tea and is almost as good as coffee. So that's what I've been drinking lately.

Who woulda thunk it?

My sister does this! I thought she was the only one in the universe who did it! I will have to tell her:auto:

So many reasons to giggle. So little time.

Okay brewing a cup of beverage tea is something I do several times a day. The day generally goes like this:

• Two cups of Twinings Irish Breakfast tea in the morning, pretty much back-to-back.
  • 1-2 cups of Harney and Son Paris tea mid morning
  • I switch to Earl Grey after lunch. I have both Twinings and Harney and Son for this.
  • After dinner I like Harney and Son Indian Spice
  • Then one cup of Good Earth Chai at bedtime

My sister does this! I thought she was the only one in the universe who did it! I will have to tell her:auto:

Well, there's two of us now. :) I prefer it to tea and I'm a life long tea fan.

ETA: Hmmmm...If tea is code for certain relations between two people, could hot water be code for going solo? :D

Edited by WishboneDawn

I drink a big 32 oz. jar of iced Irish breakfast every afternoon (black). It's refreshing.

In the evenings during the winter, I'm partial to a cup of Lapsang Souchong. It's a smoked tea, so it tastes like a very strong black tea and smells like a campfire. Lovely!

I like Tazo Calm to help me relax.

Me, too. Also, Lotus (decaf green with lotus blossom). I like their chai (or Numi golden chai) in winter.

For medicinal purposes, if I'm not making my own herbal blend, I like the Yogi teas - Bedtime for sleeplessness, Active Body (or maybe it's now Muscle Recovery... They changed the name and I'm in the car so can't check which name is current) for muscle relaxation, etc.

I love tea & coffee...but my favorite tea is one my grandmother used to buy and it's nothing fancy- just plain old orange & spice tea - a little honey and milk or cream. Very soothing.

Also - if I feel like I'm getting sick...I steep green tea with a few chunks of ginger root thrown in - I even chop up the root and keep the slices in my freezer in a ziploc for when I start feeling that little tickle in my throat.

Stir in honey, and a squeeze of lemon or orange to the green tea with ginger. This is very soothing, relieves sore throats and upset stomach. I think it also boosts the immune system - can't remember for sure.

The part where you said you get all tied up in knots had me cracking up!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: a little TMI there!!!;):lol:

Hibiscus tea is yummy and is good for lowering the blood pressure.

The company name of the tea escapes me (was it Traditional Medicinal?) but they had a CALM tea tht was good and truly did calm. There is also a Tension Tamer tea that my friend has had.

My favorite is jasmine green tea, which you mentioned. I drink this daily and gave up coffee. LOVE it!!!

I *LOVE* Stash's DOUBLE spiced chai. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I put cinnamon stevia in it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I also love rooibos teas and they are very healthy, loaded with antioxidants. Trader Joes has an organic one with chai spice that's yummy and cheap!

I once bought a case of herbal wild sweet orange tea. It was SO good and the orange flavor wasn't overpowering to me. It had rose buds in it! I think the brand name was Numi but I can't say for sure.

Lastly, I highly suggest you check out L-theanine. It's a derivative of green tea and helps with nerves. When I had to put my mom onto Hospice I went on a medication for anxiety. When I tried to get off of it my chest pains and palpitations returned. I tried the L-theanine and I am a HUGE fan of it. I take one at night but I've also taken them during the day. They don't make you sleepy. http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-L-Theanine-200-mg-60-Capsules/1505?at=0

Not even if the pictures involve Johnny Depp???? :D:D:D

I'm a big hot tea drinker (I especially like it hot with Johnny Depp...wait, sorry, wrong tea) and when we're in the States, I buy my teas from Teavana. They have an excellent selection. There is an entire page of caffeine free teas that should suit your purposes. I'm not a big herbal tea fan, so I generally go for a Rooibos when I want caffeine free. I personally prefer white teas, which have a low caffeine content and an excellent flavor. Silver leaf is my favorite white tea. The body + mind white tea might be just what you're looking for to help relax.

In the mornings I like a nice strong black tea. My favorite of theirs is Strawberry Slender Pu-Erh. Pu-Ehr teas are good for weight loss, but I just like the way it tastes. Mate teas are good for stimulants if you don't want caffeine, but still want energy.

BTW, I never drink tea cold (it tastes weird cold) and I always use loose tea. Bag tea seems to have less flavor IMO. I think they make them with the left over bits at the bottom of the tea bins. :glare:

this is true, which is why I'm wanting to start a good collection of loose leaf teas. I already have a pretty glass teapot to simmer them in, and two tea making mugs for when we're on the go.

*LOVE* tea. I find just sipping tea is relaxing! Well, sipping the hot, steaming, flavored, BEVERAGE is relaxing.:lol::lol::lol:

Can I just say that I don't like to be tied up in knots?

:leaving:

I like low caffeinated Madura Earl Grey Tea. It is Australian, and it is naturally low in caffeine. I have 2 cups every morning and I have it with milk and honey. I love Earl Grey teas because I love the bergamot flavouring- bergamot is a natural anti depressant :) . But I will also drink plain Madura.

I also like chai (milky tea with spices), vanilla rooibos, and dandelion coffee, all with milk and honey.

Herbals teas without milk- peppermint, and rose flavoured tulsi are my current favourites. I also like the earthy, green flavour of nettle tea, which is high in iron.

Peela, how does dandelion coffee taste compared to teas? That sounds VERY interesting!

I *LOVE* Stash's DOUBLE spiced chai. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I put cinnamon stevia in it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I also love rooibos teas and they are very healthy, loaded with antioxidants. Trader Joes has an organic one with chai spice that's yummy and cheap!

I once bought a case of herbal wild sweet orange tea. It was SO good and the orange flavor wasn't overpowering to me. It had rose buds in it! I think the brand name was Numi but I can't say for sure.

Lastly, I highly suggest you check out L-theanine. It's a derivative of green tea and helps with nerves. When I had to put my mom onto Hospice I went on a medication for anxiety. When I tried to get off of it my chest pains and palpitations returned. I tried the L-theanine and I am a HUGE fan of it. I take one at night but I've also taken them during the day. They don't make you sleepy. http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-L-Theanine-200-mg-60-Capsules/1505?at=0

I'm sorry to hear about your mom!

I'm very interested in the L-theanine. I have had issues with anxiety for years, and I hate going on any medication for it, due to the expense and the side effects. I've tried exercise and that helps, but it doesn't relieve it completely. So, I appreciate your recommendation. :)

BTW, that spiced chai sounds very, very yummy. Do most stores carry it, or is it only in herbal shops, that sort of thing?

And yes, we are all very amused about the tied-up-in-knots comment. I suppose the only tea that could help me that area is only sold in specialty shops.

Also, this board is extremely oversexed. Seriously. I don't even want to know (ok, that's a lie, I am curious) how tea got to be equated with conjugal relations.

All I can say is, between kilts, tea, looooong Weiner threads, the obsession with everyone has with staying HOME all day long, and the 80 bajillion kids that are born to all the members here, how does this board even stay on the civilized side of PG-13??

Overseer SWB should change her title to Mistress SWB.

I drink a big 32 oz. jar of iced Irish breakfast every afternoon (black). It's refreshing.

In the evenings during the winter, I'm partial to a cup of Lapsang Souchong. It's a smoked tea, so it tastes like a very strong black tea and smells like a campfire. Lovely!

Great way to start a thread, Rebekah! :D I've been giggling for the past 5 minutes reading through the posts.

Britomart - wasn't this the tea the Scottish guy in Centennial started drinking? I've always wondered what this tastes like but have never seen it at the stores. I'd really like to try it now!

My favorite tea is green jasmine BUT it has to be loose - the kind in bags just isn't right.

Also, you guys really crack me up. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear about your mom!

I'm very interested in the L-theanine. I have had issues with anxiety for years, and I hate going on any medication for it, due to the expense and the side effects. I've tried exercise and that helps, but it doesn't relieve it completely. So, I appreciate your recommendation. :)

BTW, that spiced chai sounds very, very yummy. Do most stores carry it, or is it only in herbal shops, that sort of thing?

And yes, we are all very amused about the tied-up-in-knots comment. I suppose the only tea that could help me that area is only sold in specialty shops.

Also, this board is extremely oversexed. Seriously. I don't even want to know (ok, that's a lie, I am curious) how tea got to be equated with conjugal relations.

All I can say is, between kilts, tea, looooong Weiner threads, the obsession with everyone has with staying HOME all day long, and the 80 bajillion kids that are born to all the members here, how does this board even stay on the civilized side of PG-13??

Overseer SWB should change her title to Mistress SWB.

I'm sorry but the double spiced chai isn't herbal so I shouldn't have recommended it. I just found it at Target!!! I was going to order it on Amazon but instead got some at Target. They do make a Stash decaf chai but it's not double spice. It's still VERY good!

and to the bolded above you may want to try Vodka with sweet tea. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm on the Teavana sight right now. I'm going to be trying several different teas! Dd11 *LOEVS* Tsanes, which are like an herbal tea with lots of fruit. VERY yummy! I will have a pitcher of some in the refrigerator so we can enjoy it with dinner! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!