Menu

Is this politically incorrect?

I just posted in the snake thread with the phrase "sitting Indian-style". I never thought it was politically incorrect but Little Librarian says that at her school they call it "sitting Criss-cross applesauce". I personally thought that was the silliest name possible for it but didn't mention that to her. Then it occured to me that maybe I'm way out of touch and being insulting to use the phrase that I do.

What do you call it when you sit with your legs crossed underneath you?

Edited by aggieamy

I just posted in the snake thread with the phrase "sitting Indian-style". I never thought it was politically incorrect but Little Librarian says that at her school they call it "sitting Criss-cross apple sauce". I personally thought that was the silliest name possible for it but didn't mention that to her. Then it occured to me that maybe I'm way out of touch and being insulting to use the phrase that I do.

What do you call it when you sit with your legs crossed underneath you?

My son learned "criss-cross applesauce" in preschool. I thought it was odd at first, but, thinking about it, "Indian style" is probably not just politically incorrect, but just incorrect, because I doubt that Native Americans were more inclined to sit that way than anybody else.

I've never heard 'criss-cross applesauce' before. That's just a bit of a mouthful. I usually call it sitting 'cross-legged,' but I've heard and said 'Indian style' without ever thinking that it could be politically incorrect. Maybe I need to be more careful what I say.

I think the term might bug some simply because it relies on a sterotypical image, rather than the simple description of a simple act. Sitting cross-legged is what it is. Simple and to the point.

We can get up-in-arms about whether it's 'politcally correct', but what's the point in that? Gnashing teeth over having to be 'politically correct ' sounds more bitter than anything.

I called it Indian style when I was a kid back East, but now call it sitting cross-legged. Don't know when or why I made the transition. I have moved around a bit, so maybe I was influenced by the area I was in. I have heard criss-cross applesauce, but just in recent years, and always from kids. I think it's a kid thing done by preschool or K teachers maybe?

I grew up calling it Indian Style but by the time I was teaching preschool at 20 (nine years ago), it was "criss-cross applesauce". At every preschool I have taught at they have called it that, so now it is stuck in my head. I think it sounds silly and really has no meaning yet I find myself telling the kids sit criss-cross applesauce instead of just plain cross-legged.

I think the term might bug some simply because it relies on a sterotypical image, rather than the simple description of a simple act. Sitting cross-legged is what it is. Simple and to the point.

We can get up-in-arms about whether it's 'politcally correct', but what's the point in that? Gnashing teeth over having to be 'politically correct ' sounds more bitter than anything.

I simply want to be informed if I'm being mean and hurtful without realizing it. It's not in my personality to be mean just for the sake of being mean. Of course, it never occured to me 'Indian style' would be offensive because to me it kind of has a happy connotation.

That said I had very elderly grandparents that grew up way in the back hills of Arkansas and my grandmother always thought she was the height of politically correct because she said "colored people" instead of what she had grown up with. I'm sure people were horrible offended and hurt but she never realized that. She thought she was being kind.

My kids were taught criss-cross applesauce at the YMCA. I hadn't heard it before then.

Mine too.

Criss-cross applesauce, put your hands in your lap

One, Two, Three put your eyes on me

Everything is better with a rhyme even:

Zip it, lock it, put the key in your pocket (referring to zip your lips)

I've never heard 'criss-cross applesauce' before. That's just a bit of a mouthful. I usually call it sitting 'cross-legged,' but I've heard and said 'Indian style' without ever thinking that it could be politically incorrect. Maybe I need to be more careful what I say.

We call it cross-legged too. I haven't heard of either Indian style or criss-cross applesauce.

Though I recently discovered not everyone says police officer, mail carrier, and firefighter. I must live in some super-PC bubble?

Far be it for me to determine what's offensive, but I think "Indian style" is no more offensive than "tailor style". It's not a derogatory term, in either instance.

Now, if someone tells me to sit criss-cross applesauce, I'm outta there. I am a grownup and I sit cross-legged. :tongue_smilie:

We call it cross-legged too. I haven't heard of either Indian style or criss-cross applesauce.

Though I recently discovered not everyone says police officer, mail carrier, and firefighter. I must live in some super-PC bubble?

:D My letter carrier calls herself a "mailman." I live in the opposite of a PC-bubble out here.

I grew up calling it Indian Style but by the time I was teaching preschool at 20 (nine years ago), it was "criss-cross applesauce". At every preschool I have taught at they have called it that, so now it is stuck in my head. I think it sounds silly and really has no meaning yet I find myself telling the kids sit criss-cross applesauce instead of just plain cross-legged.

That might be the whole point since it's a name for young children to use. They sort of like that sort of thing. :)

I spent 12 years as a police officer and 14 as a firefighter. I never minded policeman, but fireman always has bugged me to no end for some reason.

Well, now, there were these two little old ladies who tried to send me away because they wanted a man to help them get back into the house after they locked themselves out.

As for the sitting style I've always called it Indian style. I don't use it much because we rarely sit on the floor. And those times that we do I sit in a half-lotus.

I either call it Indian style or criss cross applesauce.

What I don't get is if Indian style is not "pc", then why is it okay to call it tailor style? Or Turkish style? All seems the same to me (and not "degrading"....I can't stand the whole "pc" movement).

I either call it Indian style or criss cross applesauce.

What I don't get is if Indian style is not "pc", then why is it okay to call it tailor style? Or Turkish style? All seems the same to me (and not "degrading"....I can't stand the whole "pc" movement).

I do not know why it wouldnt be pc? I dont find it rude?

DH got so irritated when DS started sitting "criss cross applesauce" when he moved up in his Sunday School class last fall.

DH: It's Indian Style. It's not any different than how we sat as kids. Ankles crossed in the middle, knees out like a butterfly stretch. Indian style.

Me: You can't SAY that anymore. It might piss off the Indians. Or the Native Americans. Or both, really. Criss cross applesauce. No one gets their feelings hurt.

I was globalizing...taking on the PC ranters. Because god forbid we rethink language usage. Jew miser, Jew them down, kids running around like wild Indians, he Gyped me, etc. That was not was directed at you-you. Sorry. :001_smile:

I simply want to be informed if I'm being mean and hurtful without realizing it. It's not in my personality to be mean just for the sake of being mean. Of course, it never occured to me 'Indian style' would be offensive because to me it kind of has a happy connotation.

That said I had very elderly grandparents that grew up way in the back hills of Arkansas and my grandmother always thought she was the height of politically correct because she said "colored people" instead of what she had grown up with. I'm sure people were horrible offended and hurt but she never realized that. She thought she was being kind.

Edited by LibraryLover

I usually say cross-legged, which I heard growing up along with Indian style. Criss-cross applesauce is too cute by half.

But... and this probably *does* take it into non-PC territory... I always thought as a kid that it was Indian style for India, as in, some vague reference to yoga positions or something. But people here seemed to think it was a Native American reference. Ack... all the more reason not to use it, I suppose.

I'm sticking with Indian style. If it offends anyone you can send my Indian sil over here to beat me up.

You should really pick a continent in that case. East indian/Asian style meditation, Indian style, or North american Indian style, sittin' around smokin' the peace pipe.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm sticking with Indian style. If it offends anyone you can send my Indian sil over here to beat me up.

Bwa ha ha!

I'm part Sioux Indian, not Sioux Native American. If you go to my old reservation -- which in our community we (Indians, non-Indians) all called The Rez -- you'll notice the signs say "Welcome to Fort Peck Indian Reservation!" Seriously, I didn't know anyone who would get all ruffled up if they were called an Indian. Only white people do. Or should I say Caucasians? ;)

Growing up we called it Indian Style. I guess that would be Native American style now. When my kids were little we called it pretzel legs or cross legged. I had hear criss cross apple sauce but that always seemed like a mouthful to me.

I learned it as Indian style, but then, I'm old - 52. Ds22 was an LIT (leader in training) at AWANA with the Cubbies (little guys) and he was taught to use the poem:

Criss-cross applesauce

Spoons in the bowl. (meaning, hands in your lap)

I almost fell of my chair laughing the first time I heard him say it.:D