Menu

PLEASE tell me how to maintain my cool and dignity in this:

Guest Dulcimeramy

I've been hearing about orangejello and lemonjello for over a decade now on the internets. I don't think I'm going to believe it unless I actually see a driver's license or birth certificate or something.

(No offense to the two pp., just pointing out that the jello tale appears in every name thread on every message board on the internet but no one ever knew the jelloes personally.)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a PM.

Personally, I'm really into the meanings of names.

"Mom, what's my name mean? Where'd you get it?"

"Well, Rango...there was this animated lizard..."

:001_huh::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

and after what is in red, can I then say: 'and your father is a butt'

Actually, my advice is the opposite of most.

Although it would take some inward strength, I would actually go completely 100% on board for the name and use it extensively. "I can't wait to hold Baby Rango." "How is Rango doing?" "Is Rango moving much??" I would say it very often and very lovingly. At least one of three things might possibly happen. 1.) They would hear it so much that maybe the novelty of it would wear off and they would hear it for how it really sounds and choose something else (at which point I would jump ship for the new name but beware it could be worse. 2.) They would appreciate your acceptance and support and would feel closer to you for it. 3.) After saying it so much you might forget how it sounds and just begin to love Baby Rango so much that it doesn't feel or sound as strange.

These are the types of situations that separate the ok MIL's (or worse) from the great MIL's. Here's your chance to shine!

This is excellent advice! :001_smile:

A friend of mine grew up with twins named "Praise The Lord" and "Bless The Lord" - Praise and Bless for short. The story goes that those were the first words their mother said when they were born.

As for your grandson, we'll pray that this child lives his life in such a mannor that "Rango" becomes the beloved hero for whom 5% of the population is named in subsequent generations. You just never know. ;)

Edited by Susan in TN

Just a thought - if Rango weren't a cartoon first would you dislike the name so much? What if the cartoon didn't exist and they had found the name in a baby book? Perhaps, though they got the name from the cartoon, they're not really meaning to name the baby after the cartoon, they just saw the cartoon and think Rango is a cute name, cartoon aside. Maybe this doesn't help at all, but try separating the name from the cartoon and see if you like it better, or at least dislike it less.

People I know were not fond of my choice of name for my middle ds. Now that I think about it, it does still make me feel a little bitter that they were so rude about it for so long. I don't think pointing out what mean nicknames kids could come up with is helpful. I could come up with mean nicknames for many, possibly most, very common names.

Although it would take some inward strength, I would actually go completely 100% on board for the name and use it extensively. "I can't wait to hold Baby Rango." "How is Rango doing?" "Is Rango moving much??" I would say it very often and very lovingly. At least one of three things might possibly happen. 1.) They would hear it so much that maybe the novelty of it would wear off and they would hear it for how it really sounds and choose something else (at which point I would jump ship for the new name but beware it could be worse. 2.) They would appreciate your acceptance and support and would feel closer to you for it. 3.) After saying it so much you might forget how it sounds and just begin to love Baby Rango so much that it doesn't feel or sound as strange.

These are the types of situations that separate the ok MIL's (or worse) from the great MIL's. Here's your chance to shine!

Being the "snot" that I am, I would even come up with cutesy nickname versions like "Ranny" or "Rang" or "Ran" and maintain the endearment and sincere tone/attitude.

I know that this would be wrong, but I wouldn't be able to stop myself. I would even find myself apologizing for being so short and impulsively rude.:lol: I know me. I would run it to the end.

I can just imagine how you feel. This child will be named for a lizard, a chameleon actor - who by the way, in the movie, names himself Rango because he had no name and chose the name on a lark. All I have to say is ...

Bless your heart!

Mason is a very nice name. I wanted to name 'stacey' 'bethany' and my mom freaked so I didn't.

You have shared reasonable, appropriate advice and I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

SIL deleted my posts on f/b -- I went back to apologize and they were deleted.

I have a Mason. :001_smile: We did get a couple of negative comments about that name back when we first picked it, but obviously a lot of people like it now because it's far more popular than it was when we first chose it 9 years ago.

And FTR, I like Luciano, although I share your feelings about Rango, although I'm not sure I'm saying it right (didn't see the movie; haven't seen a preview). Is it "home, home on the Range-oh?" or is it like, short for a Dodge Durango? ;)

*sigh* Two of my nephews have names that I really can't get on board with at all, though I love those stinkin' cute little boys. :001_smile: Eventually, the name loses importance, even if you never actually like it.

My SIL fought with my IL's about naming the first grandson, because they wanted a "...the IV" and she didn't like the name. IL's "won" that battle, but paid in resentment for twenty years. The boy was named "...the IV," but has been nick-named the name they wanted; confusing and weird, both. It would be like being named "Mary Catherine Smith" and being nicknamed "Jessica".

I've been hearing about orangejello and lemonjello for over a decade now on the internets. I don't think I'm going to believe it unless I actually see a driver's license or birth certificate or something.

(No offense to the two pp., just pointing out that the jello tale appears in every name thread on every message board on the internet but no one ever knew the jelloes personally.)

Actually I met them several times. They attended school with my sister from the 4th grade until the 10th or 11th. (Although if I hadn't personally met them I probably wouldn't believe it either! :tongue_smilie: )

My mother is a school teacher and she taught a girl several years ago named Aspirin. (Pronounced Asp-reen)

Just a thought - if Rango weren't a cartoon first would you dislike the name so much? What if the cartoon didn't exist and they had found the name in a baby book? Perhaps, though they got the name from the cartoon, they're not really meaning to name the baby after the cartoon, they just saw the cartoon and think Rango is a cute name, cartoon aside. Maybe this doesn't help at all, but try separating the name from the cartoon and see if you like it better, or at least dislike it less.

People I know were not fond of my choice of name for my middle ds. Now that I think about it, it does still make me feel a little bitter that they were so rude about it for so long. I don't think pointing out what mean nicknames kids could come up with is helpful. I could come up with mean nicknames for many, possibly most, very common names.

We think alike -- your questions were all the ones that went through my mind.

I think it comes down to one or both of them deciding on the name that will get the strongest reaction and then announcing that as the name.

They selected it based on the movie character -- maybe I need to see the movie.:glare:

this is the best advice.

Perhaps they are trend setters and 20 years from now Rango will be in the top 10 most popular names. It's not the most horrendous name. My MIL sneered and bit her tongue at the girl name we had picked out. It was Kira, like from Star Trek.

My SIL fought with my IL's about naming the first grandson, because they wanted a "...the IV" and she didn't like the name. IL's "won" that battle, but paid in resentment for twenty years. The boy was named "...the IV," but has been nick-named the name they wanted; confusing and weird, both. It would be like being named "Mary Catherine Smith" and being nicknamed "Jessica".

But, I think this is pretty common with the older generation. I have a great aunt named Vera who has always gone by Bridget. My dad has a cousin named Mary, but I have *always* known her as Noni. My MIL doesn't go by her given name either, she never has.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Actually I met them several times. They attended school with my sister from the 4th grade until the 10th or 11th. (Although if I hadn't personally met them I probably wouldn't believe it either! :tongue_smilie: )

My mother is a school teacher and she taught a girl several years ago named Aspirin. (Pronounced Asp-reen)

Truly, you are the first person I've ever seen to have actually known people with that name!

My mom worked at the health department 20 years ago, and one of her jobs was to prepare birth certificates. She saw some interesting names. Her favorites were "Christropher" (the mother said it was pronounced 'Christopher, the "R" was silent), and "Darling Soda Pop."

But, I think this is pretty common with the older generation. I have a great aunt named Vera who has always gone by Bridget. My dad has a cousin named Mary, but I have *always* known her as Noni. My MIL doesn't go by her given name either, she never has.

I cannot tell you the number of 'Christy's' I have met who were all named Anna -- really.

this is the best advice.

Perhaps they are trend setters and 20 years from now Rango will be in the top 10 most popular names. It's not the most horrendous name. My MIL sneered and bit her tongue at the girl name we had picked out. It was Kira, like from Star Trek.

I like Kira.:)

The more you protest the more they will want it so let it go. :grouphug:

I feel sorry for the kid. Rango will not look so good at the top of a resume. Parents really should think about the long term.

I think the resume thing is an excellent point. I will, however, from here on end, keep good points to myself.;)

Start using the name "Rango" as much as possible when referring to the baby. Maybe if they keep hearing it over and over it will grate on their nerves.

When I was a kid, I wished I'd been named Julia. My aunt, trying to be sweet to me, started calling me Julia. After about the 10th time, I hated it and asked her to stop and never wanted to be called Julia again.

Start using the name "Rango" as much as possible when referring to the baby. Maybe if they keep hearing it over and over it will grate on their nerves.

When I was a kid, I wished I'd been named Julia. My aunt, trying to be sweet to me, started calling me Julia. After about the 10th time, I hated it and asked her to stop and never wanted to be called Julia again.

:lol:

I actually HATE my name.

I simply cannot let this thread go without reminding the hive that two years ago my MIL and her mother put the kibosh on our naming our Gabriel the name we had chosen- Peter Jude, which to them was a piece of male anatomy and a Beatles song.

I still inform the world how ridiculous they were and how it was not within their rights to scream and cry and kick up a fuss... HOWEVER... we do love them and respect them enough to have changed the name to Gabriel. I do also love his name now and realize he *is* Gabriel, to me. I never want to call him Peter, but I do resent their intrusion. (thankfully we do announce our names in advance. I would have refused to change it had he been already born)

I think it is sad that your DD and SIL are not loving and respectful enough to consider the grandmothers' opinions.

I kinda like Rango. I love unique names that don't sound too crazy. My parents reaction to our girls names were good....they merely said "We'll have to get used to that." And that was that. Now they couldn't imagine them named anything else.

IDK if this has been addressed...for Catholics, it doesn't HAVE to be a saint's name, it just can't contradict Christianity. For example, naming a boy Mohammed or Buddha or something. But you probably don't want to share that with your dd! :001_smile:

This is why dh and I always kept our chosen names to ourselves until the baby was actually born.

Maybe they just aren't into telling the real name, were having some fun and felt a little pushed around? Maybe? Hopefully? :confused:

That was my thought.

But on the bright side, at least it gives you a theme to work with as you help decorate the nursery? <weak smile.>

astrid

Roman Catholic Church, which cannot decide what a baby's name will be. However, a priest will not baptize a baby with an anti-Chrisitan name.

However, they will baptize your child if you name them after Darth Vader, Wolverine, and Lex Luthor :leaving:

Name Candy has selected "Rango" as a name they recommend. They are surprised that there are no babies with that name already. http://www.namecandy.com/celebrity-baby-names/blog/2011/03/10/why-havent-you-heard-this-cowboy-and-place-name-on-a-baby

There's a site I'll stay away from :lol:

But on the bright side, at least it gives you a theme to work with as you help decorate the nursery? <weak smile.>

astrid

:lol::lol:

I simply cannot let this thread go without reminding the hive that two years ago my MIL and her mother put the kibosh on our naming our Gabriel the name we had chosen- Peter Jude, which to them was a piece of male anatomy and a Beatles song.

I still inform the world how ridiculous they were and how it was not within their rights to scream and cry and kick up a fuss... HOWEVER... we do love them and respect them enough to have changed the name to Gabriel. I do also love his name now and realize he *is* Gabriel, to me. I never want to call him Peter, but I do resent their intrusion. (thankfully we do announce our names in advance. I would have refused to change it had he been already born)

I think it is sad that your DD and SIL are not loving and respectful enough to consider the grandmothers' opinions.

:confused: Don't you think you're assuming a lot here? How do know that they are not loving and respectful and considered it? Just because they chose to still go ahead and name their child the name they want for their child? Also, I think it's sad that the grandmothers aren't being loving and considerate to the PARENTS.

My mil hated my one childs name. I mean HATED it. Ranted and raved and was MAD that we would even consider the name. The name?

Charles.

Sorry, not all family members are worth considering.

*gently* For your dd's sake, you may have to. She doesn't need her dh (not dear husband, btw ;)) warring w/her mother and making her choose.

*gently* I'm not going to battle with him -- you all here are right -- the name they choose is the name they choose and I will have to live with it. And, yes, I probably will adjust to it IF it is truly the name they are going to use. And it IS the baby who is important, not the name.

But, without going into other stuff, I am not apologizing. 'nuff said. He didn't tell their friends to keep their opinions to themselves -- what they posted was not any different from what I posted. He came down on me -- and deleted what I commented.

Unfortunately for you, that lack of apology, speaks volumes to your Son in law.

He didn't tell their friends to keep their opinions to themselves -- what they posted was not any different from what I posted. He came down on me -- and deleted what I commented.

My husband's grandmother FREAKED OUT when my MIL and FIL told her the name they'd chosen for my DH. She basically forbade them from naming him that. So, they chose another name, but used the originally chosen name as a nickname. He's never gone by the name on his birth certificate. In fact, he absolutely hates it. The nickname is like a legal alias: It's on his driver's license, our marriage license, and we file our taxes under it. The only two documents in "that" name are his birth certificate and social security card. All that to say, even if they put a different name on his birth certificate, they could still call him Rango and there isn't a whole lot you could do about it. :grouphug:

*gently* I'm not going to battle with him -- you all here are right -- the name they choose is the name they choose and I will have to live with it. And, yes, I probably will adjust to it IF it is truly the name they are going to use. And it IS the baby who is important, not the name.

But, without going into other stuff, I am not apologizing. 'nuff said. He didn't tell their friends to keep their opinions to themselves -- what they posted was not any different from what I posted. He came down on me -- and deleted what I commented.

I know *you* won't. Its HIS behaviour I'm concerned about. If he's the way I think he is, I could see him using this as a power/control trip. Apologizing denies him that power. That's why I suggested it. Its about defusing him. He sounds threatened by you...be it b/c you're close to your dd or what, I dunno...I just wouldn't want to give him an opportunity to have something to latch onto.

I know *you* won't. Its HIS behaviour I'm concerned about. If he's the way I think he is, I could see him using this as a power/control trip. Apologizing denies him that power. That's why I suggested it. Its about defusing him. He sounds threatened by you...be it b/c you're close to your dd or what, I dunno...I just wouldn't want to give him an opportunity to have something to latch onto.

Those are points that are very very well made. Thank you --:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My husband's grandmother FREAKED OUT when my MIL and FIL told her the name they'd chosen for my DH. She basically forbade them from naming him that. So, they chose another name, but used the originally chosen name as a nickname. He's never gone by the name on his birth certificate. In fact, he absolutely hates it. The nickname is like a legal alias: It's on his driver's license, our marriage license, and we file our taxes under it. The only two documents in "that" name are his birth certificate and social security card. All that to say, even if they put a different name on his birth certificate, they could still call him Rango and there isn't a whole lot you could do about it. :grouphug:

Food for thought.:)

I am so excited to have a reason to tell my baby name story! Feel better, because my brother and his wife named one of their daughters Bathsheba. :svengo:

Why? Who the heck knows. Probably for the shock value. :001_rolleyes: They eventually regretted it and officially changed her name to Grace, but she goes by Mary. :blink: So like someone else said, your dd and sil can always change the name (aka, come to their senses) later. :grouphug:'s Grandma, and early congrats on little Rango!

I was miserable after my DS6 was born, no sleep, pucking my guts up, and my MIL decided she didn't like the name we had picked for our DS. She thought that my DH needed a "junior" like his step-brother had. He is an only biological child. I was browbeat for two days before my DH caved and I washed my hands of it; as expected my DS is called *J (for junior), exactly as I didn't want. It still makes me angry, I wanted my child to have his own name. I refused to let my DH tell anyone what our last son was to be named until the birth certificate was signed. It's not worth the resentment. Let it go. :)

Edited by melmichigan

You had your chance to name your kids, this is her turn. It is a pet peeve when people feel it is ok to say negative things to your face about the name you have chosen for their child.

We don't do that when we meet someone that already has their name, and it is just as rude to do it before the child is born. If she adopted a child that was say, 5 years old, and you didn't like the girl's name, would you tell her that, or tell her it would be made fun of, or whatever? No, because it would be rude. And it is rude now.

:iagree:

When I was pregnant with DD, we'd planned to name her Aiden if she was a boy. MIL really really wanted us to have a boy. She asked what names we'd chosen and we told her DD's name for a girl or Aiden for a boy. With a total look of disgust, she said, "AIDEN?? Well, I guess I'd better start hoping you have a girl then." She didn't like our girl name either, but it was apparently better than Aiden. 7 years later and it still hurts me that she reacted that way to the name that we loved.

When I got pregnant with DS, we refused to tell anyone the name until he was born because of the reaction that we got from MIL. (We didn't name him Aiden either even though we loved the name because of the memories of our experience with DD.) In the hospital, MIL found out the name we picked out and still didn't approve because there's already a distant relative in our family with that name....which we apparently should have known.

This time we're having a girl and we've told people what her name is going to be. But I'm at the point now where I just don't care what other people think. I think some people are just destined to be unhappy with whatever name you pick. FWIW, MIL loves the name we picked this time.

I am so excited to have a reason to tell my baby name story! Feel better, because my brother and his wife named one of their daughters Bathsheba. :svengo:

Why? Who the heck knows. Probably for the shock value. :001_rolleyes: They eventually regretted it and officially changed her name to Grace, but she goes by Mary. :blink: So like someone else said, your dd and sil can always change the name (aka, come to their senses) later. :grouphug:'s Grandma, and early congrats on little Rango!

Thank you for the name story :lol::lol::lol: -- I shared my Lourdes and Taylor story in my original post. And thanks for the congrats.

When my oldest was born, we knew someone who named their ds Anakin Skywalker. Rango isn't *that* bad...in fact, he will fit in with his generation ime...lots of "out of the box" names these days.

I think the advice to diffuse the situation with your dd's dh is wise.