Menu

Meet my new friend. Any idea when she is due?

She showed up at the school house when a couple weeks ago when I was on vacation. Isn't she precious? She's very sweet to people, not so much to cars. She chases them down the street to protect the school, which I guess she has decided is now home. :tongue_smilie:

Does anyone have a guess as to how far along in her pregnancy she is?

Anyone have any name ideas?

post-6173-13535084901224_thumb.jpg

post-6173-1353508490149_thumb.jpg

post-6173-13535084901742_thumb.jpg

post-6173-13535084901224_thumb.jpg

post-6173-1353508490149_thumb.jpg

post-6173-13535084901742_thumb.jpg

Looks like she is a shepherd-lab mix and that combo usually makes a GREAT dog! They also like to have BIG litters-- so start contacting local rescue centers and your close friends!

I hope the litter isn't too big! Placing puppies here is next to impossible.

Looks like she is ready...any day now.

Will you be able to find homes for the pups? She looks like a sweet girl!

Chances are we'll find at least a couple. I know that doesn't sound great, but everyone who wants dogs already has them. There are tons of dogs around since nobody fixes them. I may be able to take one.

For a name' date=' how about Honey?[/quote']

I'd call her Honey.

That's cute. It reflects her pretty coloring and her sweet nature. :001_smile:

I've been calling her Mamadog. I can't call her that forever and everyone decided that I should be in charge of the name. :tongue_smilie:

Call her Fatty! :P

If you wanted a Spanish name, could you somehow do honey in Spanish? Would it work as Miela? Or is that Spanglish? LOL

Maybe Mielita - little honey, but she's not a little dog so maybe Miely. It seems when names are in diminutive forms here they always have ita/ito or a y at the end.

Like other posters said, she looks due very, very soon. It also looks like she'd have at least 8 puppies in there. My dog was a little bigger & had 12!

Perhaps you can help her make a comfy, cosy corner somewhere with old rags & towels etc that you can toss out after the birth. Make it a place out of the way where she won't be disturbed, and preferably dark & cave like. Be aware that she may be very protective of her babies when they come & not want too many people sticking their nose in, especially if she is new to you & doesn't know everyone very well yet.

Have fun with all those babies!! ;)

BTW - Mamadog is cute!!

I read all the posts before I logged on so I could see the pics. She looks youngish to me, as in not an older, middle-aged dog.

I agree with all the other posters; she also strikes me as as a very sweet-natured dog.

Depending on how things go as you care for her and the litter, she looks like *she* might be a keeper. : )

Best wishes being a doula and having "grand-pups".

ETA: She is also exactly the color of dulce de leche. Dulce would be a great name for her, except that you might not want every Tom, Dick and Harry to think she's a pushover. : ) Or how about Carmelita?

Edited by Valerie(TX)

I don't know what the cost would be but you can take her to a vet and they can xray her to see how many pups there are. Our vet used to do it for a client that bred Goldens so she'd know how many puppies she had to sell. They could also tell you more closely how soon she'd have her pups. But I agree with the pp's - she's due soon!

Awww!!!! She will pop within a few days I bet ;) You can actually tell if its going to happen within 12-24 hours if her temp drops to 99 degrees or below.

An xray wouldnt help at this point because they pups are too big. Xrays rarely are ever accurate when telling how many puppies are in there. My vet says they are a waste of money. The litter my pup was born in, my friend was told there were 3 pups, and she had 11!!!!

Sputterduck,

Gosh, the animals here really tug at my heart.

You aren't anywhere near Quintana Roo, are you? Though I am guessing not, the reason I am asking is that there are organizations here which offer free spay/neuter. :001_smile:

Otherwise, you may wish to talk to a vet. They will often significantly reduce their fee for sterilization if they are confident you are helping a street animal. Some may also do the procedures for free, if you purchase necessary medical supplies (not that difficult to obtain). I have found the vets in my area really go the extra mile for these animals. :hurray:

She looks like a sweetie.

Good luck,

Donna