Menu

If you could do ONE thing in DC....

We're driving up to Mass this summer, hoping to spend 3-4 hours in DC doing...something, then meeting up for a quick visit with DH's aunt and uncle in Silver Springs, MD before getting out of the area before rush hour. Last year we saw the American history museum and walked by a few of the monuments on the mall. Kids are 3 boys, 5 1/2 to 10. What would you do?

Tour one or more of these landmarks on the Mall:

White House

Capitol

US Supreme Court

Awesome buildings, great tours (I think reserving in advance would be good), and a good experience to refer to from then on.

The Lincoln Memorial is very, very cool as well.

Personally, I love the Library of Congress. But I'm weird that way.

If you call early you can get tickets for a specific time to go up in the Washington Monument (you can't just go and wait in line to go up anymore, tickets sell out fast so it's good to call a day before and have the tickets available for you at the booth there near the Monument. Then you can plan around that accordingly). It's pretty awesome up there, you can see all over! If you're there on time and go up it doesn't take all that long, so you could run do the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. That seems pretty fun for boys! Also, taking a White House tour is pretty cool! But they're all good, so I think you'll enjoy whatever you decide to do!

BTW, just fyi--it's Silver Spring (no s). :D (My in-laws used to live there)

Edited by Brindee

Library of Congress.

or Ford's Theater

No, wait...the Capitol.

The American History Museum is fabulous.

Well, for the 3 boys...the Air and Space Museum.

My 9yo ds, my 2 dds and my dh would say the Spy Museum ranks up there, too.

I'm no help, am I?:D

If your kids are interested in Native American cultures, the Museum of the American Indian is amazing. Their cafe, featuring authentic foods, is worth the visit all by itself! http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=visitor&second=dc

I took my dc there last summer, and I've got to say, only the 14 yo was really interested. The little boys pretty much just ran around. The food was yummy, but the younger ones couldn't have cared less about expensive, strange food.

With younger children, I would say Air and Space (although I NEVER want to go there again - I find it mind-numbingly boring - so my boys are unlikely to go!), the zoo if you've never seen pandas, or Mount Vernon (George Washington's house). My boys really liked Mt. Vernon and one has become a GW devotee.

There is so much to do in DC but I think with three boys your kids age I would head to the air and space museum. There is so much to see and do there that I think it would hold their interest. If they get bored you can head across the mall to the Natural History Museum. They have a really cool collection mounted animals. If you want real animals, the zoo is so much fun. The Pandas are beyond adorable.

What ever you do, it will be fun.

HOLD THE PHONE!!

It's SPRING.

It's was 50 degrees here today and raining and I lost myself!

If you have never been to DC with children, it's all about the National Zoo!

That is one fantabulous place! The Great Ape House! The O Rings!

The snakes, the panadas...oh...you have got me wanting. :)

The National Zoo never gets old for us!

Edited by LibraryLover

My top 3 picks w/ kids the ages of yours:

#1 choice: Natural History Museum

tied for #2: Mt. Vernon or Air & Space Museum (either location)

If you want something a little different:

Visit the National Cathedral (take binoculars to look for Darth Vader + all the other cool gargoyles/grotesques there)

or

Take a mule-pulled canal boat ride (including going through a lock) in Georgetown

You have some great suggestions here...

I agree that the native American museum is incredible, I also must say that when I took a 6 yr old and a 10 yr old there last year, they wanted to leave in about 30 minutes. The food though, seriously that is the best place to eat in that area.

Air and space is awesome and the younger kids do seem to be more into it.

National archives is great if your kids have studied any of the important documents, dec of independence, etc. But again, may not appeal to your youngest.

My personal fav is Library of Congress but, I actually work on a LOC grant so I go out there often and get to see very very cool things. It is my favorite place in the world essentially. :lol:

Smithsonian Museums. My little guys' favorite is the Museum of Natural History (and if you go on a Tuesday the Butterfly Pavilion is free). My older guy loves the Air and Space Museum and American History Museum.

Have fun!

I have to say that other than the cafeteria of the American Indian museum, which is great, I found the museum one of the worst of the Smithsonian collections. Why? Because they don't focus on artifacts and history but rather on just a few tribes and their creation stories and I saw much better Indian Museums. Our entire family was disappointed in this museum.

If you are going to a museum, I would choose one of the following based on interests- National Gallery of Art, Museum of American History, Air and Space Museum, or Museum of Natural History- though with that one, it is partially redone and our family does not like the redone galleries- too much interactive and that means kids running around pushing buttons versus displays that everyone can see. However, with limited time, I would skip the museums, (hard to get parking and they are all big), and concentrate on the monuments. Those are the true stars of DC and one of the main differences in this city compared with other American cities- lots of minuments and statues and they are impressive and with the displays, you can learn a lot and appreciate the beauty.

Thanks everyone!

The DC by Foot tour looks great; thanks for the link!

I just talked to the kids about it, and I think we've narrowed it down to either the DC by Foot tour or the Natural History Museum. The only problem with the tour is we're staying 2 1/2 hours south of DC the night before, and the tour starts at 10, so we'd need to get a really early start (after getting to the hotel late the night before).

I'd love to do a White House tour, but I think it'll be better when my youngest is older (and I suspect we're too late to reserve it for this year anyway).

My kids aren't big zoo fans for some reason, and we have pandas at our zoo here, so I think that's out. And, oddly, they all declared, "NOT the Air and Space Museum!" They're kind of strange children :)

ETA: I'm also thinking of Mt. Vernon...but only if we can figure out a way to spend more time there, I think. I don't want to pay for it and then feel rushed to get through it in a couple of hours

Edited by kokotg

We're driving up to Mass this summer, hoping to spend 3-4 hours in DC doing...something, then meeting up for a quick visit with DH's aunt and uncle in Silver Springs, MD before getting out of the area before rush hour. Last year we saw the American history museum and walked by a few of the monuments on the mall. Kids are 3 boys, 5 1/2 to 10. What would you do?

A couple ideas I haven't seen mentioned:

National Museum of the Marine Corps (south of DC proper in Quantico, VA), which is really one of the best military museums I've ever seen. (And I've seen quite a few.) Admission is free.

The Udvar-Hazy Center of National Air and Space Museum, near Dulles. Admission is free, but parking is $15. This doesn't have the smaller galleries of the downtown location, but they have some much larger aircraft on display (including a space shuttle that was used for training). Not sure when you'll be in town. June 18th is "Become a Pilot Day".

What about touring Annapolis, MD instead of DC itself? There are tours that go onto the Naval Academy grounds, which can be pretty cool. And Annapolis itself has lots of good colonial history.