Menu

Movies that stress you out?

The latest Batman movie with the Joker. I almost got up and walked out of the theater a couple of times. The rest of the time, I was just thinking, "what am I doing here?!"

I used to be able to handle just about anything, but that's changed as I've gotten older.

All Batman movies push me over the edge. Honestly, who the heck in their right mind would live in Gotham?!?! :glare: I still have nightmares about the first one that I was permitted to watch as a child. Haven't been able to stand the sight of Nicholson and once seeing him in the paper holding his own child I freaked and wondered what kinda sane person would let him hold their child. Yeah, I don't do batman in any form..

That said, I find most movies "edge of your seat" for me, just not nightmarish for me..

Any movie that is in any way stressful. I am the wimpiest movie goer ever.

You'll have to get in line behind me.:lol:

Seriously, though, I relate to the feelings of animals in a way that is, well, not human:confused: Anytime any animal has a slightly hurt, confused, depressed, or any other negative emotion depicted on it's furry little face, I feel stress. Major stress.:glare:

The worst, and I do mean worst, movie mistake I ever made was lingering on HBO to watch something that I didn't know anything about and getting pulled in to the most psychologically damaging;) movie I've ever seen. I'm even afraid to type it's name...whimper, whimper. It was just horrible. Oh, the fear!!! :lol:

I love watching movies when I have no idea what they are about. I can't stand watching previews.

But Seven.:svengo:

And I was pregnant when we saw it. :svengo:

15 years later and it still stresses me out even though I only watched it that one time.

I haven't watched that movie in 15 years. And I won't ever again.

Nightmare on Elm street gave me nightmares for YEARS. I was in elementary school and saw it at a friends b-day party and still, Freddy gives me the creeps. The trailers for the new movie that just came out was enough to give me panic attacks.

Guest jab300

That is so funny about Apollo 13...we are the same way! We've seen it countless times and it still has us on the edge of our seats lol.

I really get into my movies. I cry at the drop of a hat, at least my kids will claim that.

"I am Legend" completely and totally freaked me out. Oldest dd wants to watch it and believes it can't actually be that bad. I will not be watching it again.

I can not watch Eight Below. I can't breathe and I cry. I hate the scene in Homeward Bound where the old Golden is saying to himself "Stay, stay" in order to keep from running after his boy. I cry.

And I love Legends of the Fall, but again, I sob through the whole thing.

I like those non stressfull movies like............The Village, Sleepy Hollow, The Others.

'

Eight Below, watched it once, cried, cried, cried. We used to have huskies. I told my mom she couldn't watch it, ever. Dh has never watched it.

My dh refuses to watch any movie where the children die. He gets totally upset. I also hate supposedly family friendly movies where a parent dies during the movie. I remember one that someone here had recommended. I watched with ds after pressing dh to watch with us. He wouldn't. I'm glad. I didn't realize the dad dies in the movie. Dh would have been above stressed, his dad died when he was a kid.

Also the movie Frequency with Dennis Quaid. Told dh he can't watch it. It mirrors so many things in our lives, he'd be a mess afterward.

Some movies are still too much for me, but I've mellowed on other movies.

Like a pp said, Jurassic park stuck with me for a long time after I first watched it. I used to have a shower with a window right against woods. I was so afraid to shower. I was just waiting for a big dilating dinosaur eye to appear in my window!

But I've mellowed and now I love to watch Jurassic Park. But not real horror films. Can NOT handle those. I watched Black Swan by accident (didn't realize how scary it would be) and I'm suffering for it. (Scared to be alone at night.)

The Piano. (I know it's an acclaimed move, but the finger scene did me in.)

Seven.

I knew even before seeing it that The Sixth Sense would freak me out, but forced myself to watch it, primarily to see my favorite spots in PHilly on the big screen. I did not sleep at all the night I saw it.

(Some Criminal Minds episodes do the same to me....)

I hate the scene in Homeward Bound where the old Golden is saying to himself "Stay, stay" in order to keep from running after his boy. I cry.'

OMG give me ANY other scene and I can make it through. THIS?! I'm ruined for days. I just CANNOT watch. Crappers, I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Sniff.

astrid

Ditto on the Jurassic Park! Oh man - and The Green Mile. I could not finish watching that - we walked out of the theater.

We don't watch a lot of suspenseful movies because of how they usually stress me, but I do LOVE the Bourne movies, oddly!

TV shows that have anything to do with disease or illness - simply cannot watch! Several years back I realized that with ER finally. Life was much more peaceful without it. hehe

I can handle The Event though. Even though the Sleepers are now in possession of the Spanish Flu. :lol:

Any movie with Jim Carey in it (except The Truman Show). Just hearing that man's voice for three minutes is enough to blast up my blood pressure.

My dh refuses to watch any movie where the children die. He gets totally upset.

Ya, like Pay It Forward. I don't care how good the rest of the movie is, I could never watch it again knowing how it ends. It makes my stomach flip when I pass by it channel surfing. Really, was that ending necessary? No, no, no....

All you people saying Jurassic Park... have y'all seen King Kong? I found that far more tense. Maybe it was just me. No way I can watch that movie again. :willy_nilly:

"I am Legend" completely and totally freaked me out. Oldest dd wants to watch it and believes it can't actually be that bad. I will not be watching it again.

I'm not a fan of that movie either. Too creepy for my taste.

Any movie with Jim Carey in it (except The Truman Show). Just hearing that man's voice for three minutes is enough to blast up my blood pressure.

:lol::lol::lol: Oh so true!!! :iagree:

Edited by plain jane

LOST. :leaving:

I know it's not technically a movie, but nothing else has ever given me as many sleep problems as that show! I simply could not watch it.

Actual movies: Anything labeled "horror" I simply don't watch. Anything labeled "thriller" has to be checked out prior to my watching. None of us finished watching The Road (I didn't know anything about the movie before we started to watch it). I hated Shenandoah and Of Mice and Men - for different reasons, but hated both.

Any movie that is in any way stressful. I am the wimpiest movie goer ever.

Pretty much this, but I found Reality Bites to be particularly stressful because I was so busy yelling at the characters. "You are all morons, who wouldn't know a good decision if it bit you in the rear. Shut up, shut up, shut up, quit whining and shut up!"

I wasn't exactly their target audience.

Oh, and movies where kids are hurt, kidnapped, or murdered are a big no no.Even cartoon kids. Even cartoon "kids" who are really animals sometimes.. My DH rented some cartoon CGI thing when we brought DS home. The opening scene is a little lion cub playing with his dad and being taken by people collecting animals for a zoo. I was sitting there holding my 5 year old, tears streaming down my face, and telling DH he needed to turn it off now. I sobbed for an hour at the thought of losing my DS and have never been able to watch the movie again.

Edited by MrsBasil

Oh, and movies where kids are hurt, kidnapped, or murdered are a big no no.Even cartoon kids. Even cartoon "kids" who are really animals sometimes.. My DH rented some cartoon CGI thing when we brought DS home. The opening scene is a little lion cub playing with his dad and being taken by people collecting animals for a zoo. I was sitting there holding my 5 year old, tears streaming down my face, and telling DH he needed to turn it off now. I sobbed for an hour at the thought of losing my DS and have never been able to watch the movie again.

I think that's Madagascar 2. It ends okay and the lions get back together.

(The penguins make the movie!)

I think that's Madagascar 2. It ends okay and the lions get back together.

(The penguins make the movie!)

Thank you! You're right. I loved the penguins from the first movie.

Funny typo! I was holding my 5 DAY old, not 5 year old. I was 5 days out from giving birth for the first time and felt a bit off emotionally.

:iagree: I liked the movie but I don't think I will ever watch it again. The dog. I was bawling uncontrollably in the threatre.

TV shows that have anything to do with disease or illness - simply cannot watch! Several years back I realized that with ER finally. Life was much more peaceful without it. hehe

:lol:

Me too. I didn't used to be bothered by that at all but now it gives me a huge problem with anxiety. I have tried to watch House but it upsets me too much.

Ditto on the Jurassic Park! Oh man - and The Green Mile. I could not finish watching that - we walked out of the theater.

Oh that one too. Ugh. I left the theatre too and cried for hours afterwards. The people I was with must have thought I was crazy.

Thank you! You're right. I loved the penguins from the first movie.

Funny typo! I was holding my 5 DAY old, not 5 year old. I was 5 days out from giving birth for the first time and felt a bit off emotionally.

Yeah... those hormones are something else.

I mentioned Perfect Storm earlier. At the time, I really didn't like George Clooney, so I decided to watch the movie to see everyone die... figured it'd be fun for me! (Yeah... anger issues... and miserable pregnancy.)

Not only did I have to spread the movie out over 2 days because I got seasick watching it, I was bawling at the end. :001_huh:

As for Jurrasic Park, the book was far worse for me than the movie.

However the movie was great fun at the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara opening night. Lots of screaming (and I made my husband scream when I did and grabbed him with long nails - early 4D movie experience!). :lol: