Menu

If you were a newly adopted cat, where would you hide?

We just adopted a cat yesterday. She is a very affectionate, friendly cat and yesterday she explored the house and slept last night on one of the beds. This morning at 6 am, I found her under the bed in my ds' room but we haven't seen her since. I have scoured the house for her (under beds, couches, closets, drawers) and I can't figure out anyway she could have gotten outside. I am just stumped and feel so bad. I know cats often hide in new situations but I feel like I have literally looked everywhere. Any ideas or do I just wait for her to come out?

I vote for waiting for her to come out.

The day after we adopted a kitten, we couldn't find her anywhere. We had the entire neighborhood out with flashlights (one neighbor even volunteered her dog to sniff). We gave up, came home all sad, only to have kitten climb sleepily out from under a drawer.

Your kitty is probably just fine. Hope you find her soon.

Wow. Cats get themselves into the oddest places. The weirdest one for us was when we moved to a new apartment and couldn't find the cat ANYWHERE. It turned out that she had gotten into the drop ceiling in the kitchen! She had jumped onto the counter then onto the top of the fridge, and pushed up on the drop ceiling panel until it lifted up and jumped right up into the ceiling. The panel, of course, settled right back down! I finally saw a shadow pass over the light in the kitchen ceiling and figured out where she went.

One other really odd place (different cat) was inside the boxspring of the bed. I guess being UNDER the bed wasn't enough, he had to scratch open the fabric on the bottom of the boxspring and climb right in.

Good luck!

Pegasus

One other really odd place (different cat) was inside the boxspring of the bed. I guess being UNDER the bed wasn't enough, he had to scratch open the fabric on the bottom of the boxspring and climb right in.

Good luck!

Pegasus

Hey, that's the exact place I was going to say!

I bet the fabric under an easy chair or couch would be pretty good to claw open and climb into, too.

Under the linens in the linen closet is always popular.

It's in your closet, alternately peeing in your shoes and shredding your best dresses.

j/k

I'd vote to wait for it to come out. You might be able to coax it out by opening a can of stinky tuna fish. The pungent odor will waft around and entice it when it gets hungry. Then when it does come out, don't rush at it. Just let it be. Ignore it, even. It will get used to you and it's new home if you give it enough space.

Common places in our house.

Inside the boxspring (we eventually just ripped out all the under-fabric)

Inside the recliner (underneath)

In the cabinets

In the drawers (when they were smaller)

Inside anything...baskets, boxes, bookshelves (behind the books).

Hey, that's the exact place I was going to say!

I bet the fabric under an easy chair or couch would be pretty good to claw open and climb into, too.

Under the linens in the linen closet is always popular.

And I was going to suggest the same!! Years ago our new kitty got into the bottom of the sofa from the lining underneath.

Vent. We had a kitty mess with the vent floor cover enough that they fell into it.

Behind the washer/dryer or furnace, especially if it is cold there.

Behind the toilet or in the tub to keep cool if it is hot there.

Inside the recliner (underneath)

Oh, yeah. Be careful of cats getting into recliners. Someone my sister knows snapped his kitty's back when it crawled up on the inside & he didn't realize it was there. :crying:

Hence, I'm paranoid about recliners & cats.

one of my cats , full grown, got caught inside my recliner. He couldn't get himself out and was crying like crazy. It was an old recliner that was not safe at all. I was terrified the entire time I was trying to get him out. I finally got him out safely and then threw out the recliner and will never have another one.

Yay! Cat found. My ds heard her sneeze a few times and tracked her down. We found her in the credenza in my dh's office. Still don't understand how she got in there, the doors are always closed. I even checked in there and didn't see her. Cats sure are mysterious creatures!

Our cats found a way to get INSIDE the box springs....also one squeezed behind a cabinet once! Another got behind items on the top shelf of a closet!!!

Leave all interior doors open and put some dry food out, maybe a bit of catnip. Kitty will come out when she feels safe. She may do so at night, so measure the food so you can see if there is less the next day. Leave water out, too.

OK -just saw that you found her. Is there opening in the back of the credenza, for wires or cords to go through? That is how our cats get into our entertainment unit - we find them behind the VCR.

Our cats found a way to get INSIDE the box springs....also one squeezed behind a cabinet once! Another got behind items on the top shelf of a closet!!!

When mine was a kitten he crawled inside a hole in the fabric on the bottom of the sofa and napped inside. Almost missed a vet appointment when we couldn't find him.

Chicken baby food nearly always lured him out of hiding. :)

I'm glad you found her!

When we moved to a new apartment I lost my old kitty for three days. She was on top of a cabinet over the fridge (there was a small space there). She came down to eat and eliminate when we were elsewhere. After a few days she came down and settled down.

Now she and our other cat have figured out how to open one specific cabinet in our kitchen and hide in it. So much fun.

Cats are fun creatures!

Oh dear.....here kitty, kitty. The same thing happened to us over 3 years ago when we brought home our newest addition...an adopted cat. She was really a kitten age wise, but Ragdolls are big so she looked like a cat.

She was given to us from a high kill shelter in CA. She was flown here by a shelter volunteer who's professional job is a flight attendant. Maria flew her here on her day off.

I say off of this b/c our cat, Mocha, was under great stress. She was born and lived somewhere for a while. Then surrendered by the owner she was put in a high kill shelter. A college student who volunteered at the shelter took her in and stayed with her for about 4 months. Then she flew across country and found herself in the presence of yet another family. All of this to say that she was stressed out. Bless her heart.

We didn't see her for about 3 days!!!! We had litter box, food and everything ready for her. Well, my husband found her "behind" our computer monitor on the floor. It was winter and that kept her warm. Remember she was under stress and needed comfort....maybe the heat helped...don't know.

During the 3 days of her absence we now know that she had to "conduct her business" (eating and potty) during the night when she knew we were asleep upstaris and she didn't have to come into contact with her.

It's taken a good 2 years, but she now is right at home. We've had her longer than anybody at 3 1/2 years.

Hope you find her/him soon.