Menu

Dh was "offered" a "job"...

being a pilot car. The guy who drives in front of (or behind) oversized loads.

Pros:

It has the potential to pay 4x what he's making.

He could set his own hours.

Cons:

Like the job he has, pay is not a guaranteed thing. It's by the job, IF there's a job. (She says there's plenty of work.)

Like the job he has, he'd be an independent contractor. Self-employment tax.

He'd have to work 2-3 days at a time, overnight. (Employer would pay for hotels & meals.)

He has to pay for & attend an 8-hr training course first. It's $300. (Employer would reimburse this after 6mos.)

What am I worried about?

Losing the $300 because the whole thing's...not a scam, but...something. Things don't tend to work out for us.

Coming up w/ the $300 in the first place. :svengo:

Why the heck is this lady so anxious to hire dh?

She hasn't *guaranteed* him a job. Dh says this is just suspicious of me, he has no reason not to trust her. I see no reason *to* trust her. I think he should at least have a job offer in writing before spending the $$ on training.

Dh getting stuck in it for the rest of his life. Silly, perhaps, but it's what happened to his dad. Too many yrs in one industry makes it hard to get out. This is similar to what he's doing now, so the years are stacking up. Of course, being stuck in a job that pays a little better is better than being stuck nowhere. If I were *sure* of the $$, it would be easier to take the risk.

Every time life has offered us this kind of choice, we make the wrong decision. So my gut says something's wrong w/ this, but my head has no opinion one way or the other. Dh is...well, he believes everything she's telling him. (He has no reason not to, lol.)

I don't know. What do you think? Red flags? Obviously good idea? (Dh thinks so, just for the "time being." Which tends to be forever, you know.)

Red flags from my perspective. You should never have to pay for training. Especially not $300 for training for a job that *might* happen, only if there is work. I'd keep looking.

She says there's work. She's not the one offering the training--it's something that the state does, I think. Iow, it's the type of thing (if I understand dh right--he's had this kind of training for his current job...well, not *this* kind, but ykwim) that one typically pays for oneself. Certification, I expect. He could take it to another company & work for them, iow.

I *think* that part is ok. I think. :confused:

Red flags from my perspective. You should never have to pay for training. Especially not $300 for training for a job that *might* happen, only if there is work. I'd keep looking.

She says there's work. She's not the one offering the training--it's something that the state does, I think. Iow, it's the type of thing (if I understand dh right--he's had this kind of training for his current job...well, not *this* kind, but ykwim) that one typically pays for oneself. Certification, I expect. He could take it to another company & work for them, iow.

I *think* that part is ok. I think. :confused:

There are plenty of things that you'd have to pay for your own training, and not have a guaranteed job while you are in training. Anything in the medical field, flight, driving (I've seen some trucking companies' trucks say they pay for training, but I would assume that if you flunk, then there's no job. I doubt they'd guarantee a job before training is done.).

Here's a trucking info board with a special section for pilot cars. Maybe you can find some more info about the specific company:

Pilot Cars Message Board

I'd hate for my dh to have the type of job that takes him away from his family for several days/nights per week. However, if it was a desperate measure, meant to last for a short amount of time, I could see doing it. :grouphug:'s to you, and best wishes for your decision!

My DH is an owner-operator truck driver, and he's had to hire pilot cars before. They do make really good money. I asked him if the $300 seemed suspicious or if that was typical in that business. What he said was that sounded pretty typical, and that what he suspects the reason is is that it's pretty easy to set up your own pilot car business, so they probably don't want to spend the money sending a new person through the training only to have the person quit and start their own business.

This seems weird to me because when my husband got his CDL he was hired by a trucking company. They paid for everything related to training up front. Granted he was gone for 6 weeks for school and road training, but he only had to pay for food on the road. He was given a small per diem for food when he was at the school.

Would he be an employee or an independent contractor? If it's a contracted position you'll want to look closely at the particulars. My husband drove for a small company that switched to contractors and they had to pay their own insurance(not cheap) and vehicle maintenance and repair. They also had to lease their vehicles from the company. Lot's of money upfront.

Just saw the post above mine, so you might want to disregard what I have to say. :)

I would look both the training company and the company wanting to hire with the Better Business Bureau. Also google the name with complaint or criticism so for example google Maverick Transportation Criticism

If your DH has any traffic accidents or traffic violations on his driving record, find out if that would affect his employability.

I would not rule them out automatically based on the $300, but I would check them out thoroughly before put out any money.

Isn't your husband the worlds worst driver? :lol:

Bill

You know, I suggested that if he finished the course & *then* she checks his driving record, that could be bad.

He says it's only on his ins, not his driving record. :confused: :lol:

It's not really his *driving* that's bad. His ability to stay awake, remember to use the parking break, you know. Little things like that. ;)

My DH is an owner-operator truck driver, and he's had to hire pilot cars before. They do make really good money. I asked him if the $300 seemed suspicious or if that was typical in that business. What he said was that sounded pretty typical, and that what he suspects the reason is is that it's pretty easy to set up your own pilot car business, so they probably don't want to spend the money sending a new person through the training only to have the person quit and start their own business.

This is what dh said. He thinks part of the reason she's so anxious to hire *him* is because he told her how much he didn't want to do the job (long term). She's had a driver start his own co & steal her customers. Apparently, that's not pleasant. :lol:

If nothing else, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my own red-flag feelings.

As far as the $300, dh says if the job doesn't work out, he'll just work enough to break even w/ the $300 & quit. :confused: Sometimes his reasoning & my reasoning don't speak the same language. :lol:

Aubrey, I would say no.

First, your dh has a job that is a regular income. This is a job with an irregular income. You don't need that unpredictability in your life when the budget is already tight. Even if she says there is lots of work, that doesn't mean it's all going to go to your dh.

Second, $300 is a lot of money to put out up front, when reimbursement is 6 months away.

If it were me, I would suggest dh kindly decline the offer.

ETA: You said:

If nothing else, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my own red-flag feelings.

As far as the $300, dh says if the job doesn't work out, he'll just work enough to break even w/ the $300 & quit. :confused: Sometimes his reasoning & my reasoning don't speak the same language. :lol:

I'm sorry, but this is really not the way to approach any job. Just because this is a "new" offer doesn't mean you should jump at it and then say "well... if it doesn't work out." IMO, it's already not going to work out, so why upheave yourself from a job you do have to throw yourself into a losing situation? That's an impetuous thing to do. Impetuousness does not take care of a family very well, IME.

I know it can be difficult if you have an impetuously inclined partner, but if Practicality doesn't draw a firm line in the sand, then Reality will come along and kick both your behinds black and blue.

Edited by Audrey

Aubrey, I shot off an email a couple of weeks ago to a gal who contracts with transcribers in my field for remote work (i.e., I'd be an independent contractor). I wanted to get a foot in the door for future, regular work-from-home assignments. Five days later, I got a "panic" email --"Ack! We need someone tomorrow for an assignment, can you do it?" No interview, no skills/reference check, no nothing -- just "Can you do it?" It was kinda odd, in a way. And, I didn't have my own license (the university I work for "owns" my license and I can't use it for outside work), so if I wanted to it, I'd have to not only figure out Skype and how to link the software via a remote Internet connection within 24 hours, I'd also have to pay $400 to get my own software license in that same amount of time. I knew the potential for future work was probably decent, and while we didn't really have $400 to toss around (if it's not going to pay off), we went for it. And it's paying off big time. I got two regular assignments out of it, with more to come. They were glad/impressed that I jumped in with willingness, AND paid for my license (they usually have loaner licenses, apparently, but didn't have any available at this time). This gladness/impressing, the office manager said, has "earned" me some preference for any subbing that comes up.

I don't at all have a problem with having to pay the $400 myself -- that's what you do to get licensed/certified or what-have-you so that you're more marketable. That said, I don't have a "sense" one way or the other about your dh's offer. Just throwing my recent experience out there.

Edited by milovaný

It's not really his *driving* that's bad. His ability to stay awake, remember to use the parking break, you know. Little things like that. ;)

Your hubby needs a nice, safe job in front of a computer screen so if anything is crashing, it is the computer, not him.

:grouphug:

Rosie

I just wanted to say that sometimes you do have to pay just to apply for the job. Dh is currently in a job where he had to pay thousands (and go away for training) for a certification just so he could put it on his resume. Yes, it was a risk, but a calculated risk that paid off for us. Eventually. It still took 6 months for a job offer. But he would not have gotten any offers if he hadn't had that certification. This is the norm for his field. The work, while fairly steady, varies month-to-month. There are opportunities for extra work, but that's not guaranteed. He is also gone several days a week. We've gotten used to it now, but at first the hardest part was getting over the attitude that every day dh was home was "Saturday."

I hope things work out for your family, whatever you and your dh decide.

My DH did some fishing for whitefish with a friend. The friend knew a business owner that could sell every fish they caught for good money. .... Yup, I have a BUNCH of whitefish in my freezer, frozen TO the shelf, probably only good for the animals by now. She didn't sell a dime - and they brought some fish to her to sell. Haven't seen that either.

The good side is DH loves to fish anyway, and it was early morning so it didn't interfere with anything. The money would have been nice, but oh well.

Is this training good for anything else? Does he pay the potential employer for the training or a different company?

Pay for a job, no. Pay for certification, yes. Same way you get your RN, then hired, the co doesn't pay for your schooling.

Yes it isn't unusual to have to pay for a "training" course for certification. Especially if you are an independent contractor. You will not be an employee so everything comes out of pocket first.

I am an IC right now for the job I work, while I didn't have to pay for training in this job (I have fr others in the past) I also have to train and study on my own time without compensation.

I would see if you could talk to others in the same position then decide. I can tell you if it was us my dh would be on it like white on rice.

Isn't your husband the worlds worst driver? :lol:

Bill

My number one thought, have they seen his driving history.

You know, I suggested that if he finished the course & *then* she checks his driving record, that could be bad.

He says it's only on his ins, not his driving record. :confused: :lol:

While it may not show up on his MVR, what if they ask about claims? Seriously, with his record he would be a liability to this company. Also, as a wife my first concern would be his safety.

I do think there is some merit in getting certified to do SOMETHING that could transfer to anywhere you live. I don't believe this is it.

My dh was looking into getting a special certification last year. Once we looked into it we realized all the people displaced by the oil spill would already be qualified and have experience. We know one person who did the certification and never got a job.

For arguments sake I would have him look into the likelihood of getting regular work. With fuel costs rising would he be paying his own gas. With fuel costs rising would there people already doing this? Will people be transporting loads this summer like they have in the past? Also doing taxes as a self-employed person is a pain in the :glare:.

Having an irregular income with small children and a wife to support is not ideal. Especially one where he needs to travel.

My other concern would be that is in another isolating job. Long hours on the road by himself. Your dh doesn't need that, seriously.

Staying awake is a problem, and he wants to be a pilot car driver?? Really?? Those cars drive slow. It would seem to me that he would have an even harder time staying awake. This sounds like a bad idea.

Paying for certification isn't all that weird, in my experience. It's just like flagger courses or getting specific license and such.

Does he REALLY want to do this? That would be the main thing I'd be sorting out first… I'm not gonna tell my husband what he can or can not do, and if he's unhappy in his current job and truly wants to pursue X/Y/Z than I'm going to do whatever I can to support him in his goals.

My vote would be no. A $300 dollar investment in a job / business he doesn't want to do in the long term would be a deal breaker for me. The long hours and inconsistent pay would be difficult on the family.

This doesn't even sound like a deal to good to pass up; it sounds like a money pit for someone who isn't into road trips.

A father of a friend of mine does this sort of work. He says it is ok, but there is a lot of time spent waiting around at various places to get clearance for some of the loads to go through. The schedule is very weird. He does a lot of night driving near cities because they won't tie up the traffic as much with the oversized loads. Also, he did some jobs driving up near Montana over the winter, and they were stuck in a town for several days because it was too dangerous to drive anywhere (they were still paid for that time though). I would make sure to research the company thoroughly, some companies have more work available than others.